Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+41
worms.
S70_Tyke
Allez les rouges
stinger
Kimbo
OrangeSky
COTR
Romford Pele
Deluded F*ck™
TheCrazy58
TM
SuperMario
Chocolate Thunder
L r dd
Pierre Littbarski
Sheffield gunner
Ricardo Jol
Protheus
Since 1888
christmasborocooper
fcb
Rosicky
Cesc Soler
DS
Deano
Calidad
SirWalterOfSmith
L.r.d
EMP
Puro
Roger Hunt
Tweesus
Hlebagone
Dejan Savićević
monty
Isco Benny
Yef
Murray
The Easter Bunny
Fey
The Bulk
45 posters

What’s that smell? Aha, it’s Scottish football

Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
    Supports : Arsenal FC
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

What’s that smell? Aha, it’s Scottish football - Page 8 Empty Re: What’s that smell? Aha, it’s Scottish football

Post by Cesc Soler Mon May 25, 2009 4:20 pm

Gordon Strachan resigns as Celtic manager.
    monty
    monty

Number of posts : 288
    Supports : Kilmarnock, Chelsea and Kaiserslautern
    Favourite Player : Michael Ballack
    Registration date : 2007-03-25

What’s that smell? Aha, it’s Scottish football - Page 8 Empty Re: What’s that smell? Aha, it’s Scottish football

Post by monty Mon May 25, 2009 4:29 pm

That will keep a lot of Celtic fans happy seemingly he's not celtic minded enough for them. Strachan's hotly tipped to get the Sunderland job.

The Celtic fans I've spoken to want Billic or Owen Coyle to get the job.
    Doubt they would even think about it though.
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10245
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Murray Mon May 25, 2009 4:43 pm

He'll end up in England, anybody want him?
    monty
    monty

Post by monty Mon May 25, 2009 4:58 pm

No chance Coyle will go now. He's in the premiership
    L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

Post by L r dd Mon May 25, 2009 5:00 pm

My Celtic friend tells me Boruc has asked for a transfer as well. Coyle would be the fans choice but doubt he'll consider now. Hopefully Neil Lennon gets the job Biggrin
    monty
    monty

Post by monty Mon May 25, 2009 7:08 pm

Would be hilarious if Lennon got it. Replacing one annoying ginger with another. Mark McGhee of Motherwell is desperate to get it, it's almost embarrasing.

I say bring back John Barnes
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Number of posts : 1961
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by The Bulk Mon May 25, 2009 7:13 pm

Should have left at the end of last season. I guess he knew he couldn't take the club forward, and it seems as if some of the players weren't playing for him, ie he didn't get along with them and/or couldnt really motivated them properly.

Think he'll go to Sunderland and one of Coyle, Mowbary, John Collins, McGhee will take over.

There is chatter about Alan Curbishely taking over on Celtic forums. They don't seem too keen on that idea.

Celtic need to get rid of most of their playing staff and look to freshen up in all areas of the squad.

Get rid of -

Boruc
    Caldwell - not a fan
    McManus
    Naylor
    Hinkel - Doesn't add enough going forward imo
    Hartley
    Nakamura - Time for a change. His family are back in Japan now anyway
    Scott McDonald
    Aiden McGeady - bad influence in dressing room. primadona.
    Maloney - Whats happened to him - crap now
    JVoH - how is this guy a pro footballer?
    Samaras - very weird player
    Crosas - let the guy flourish in a league that uses technical players
    Flood - Not good enough imo
    Donati - rubbish
    Loovens - not a fan
    O'Dea - same as above

Whoever takes charge will need to have money to do above.
    Murray
    Murray

Post by Murray Mon May 25, 2009 7:14 pm

McGhee is supposedly first choice for the Aberdeen job, he's got more chance of getting that than the Celtic job. I would be reasonably happy if we got him, can't really think of anybody else who would be ok.
    L r dd

Post by L r dd Mon May 25, 2009 7:24 pm

Mowbray is big favourite now.
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Post by The Bulk Wed May 27, 2009 9:49 am

Haha! Celtic fans are not happy that the club have asked Birmingham permission to speak to Roy Aiken.

Roy Aiken used to be O'Leary's right-hand man and the Celtic fans are scared at the thought of O'Leary taking over.

Would be a terrible appointment imo.
    monty
    monty

Post by monty Wed May 27, 2009 11:55 am

Roy Aitken lol

agree with the Bulk's assesment of the Celtic squad, big changes to be made. I think Chris Brunt would be a great signing if Mowbray got the job.

The fans may be demanding Billic, Rijkaard etc but after Le Guen nobody wants to touch a foreign manager. Short sighted in my opinion but there we go.

McGhee for Aberdeen would be more of the same as Calderwood IMO. Motherwell had some cracking players last season. We took 10 points off Well this year and can't say I was impressed by them at all.

What's the opinion of Laslo the Hearts boss. Is he a good coach or a bit of a nutter who is lucky to have players like Driver, Kingston and Obua on 10k a week.
    Murray
    Murray

Post by Murray Wed May 27, 2009 3:03 pm

Roy Aitken lol! lol! lol!

He was useless when he was Aberdeen manager, we were glad to get rid of the stupid numpty
    monty
    monty

Post by monty Wed May 27, 2009 5:04 pm

Looks like coyle could be unveiled by the end of the week.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8070586.stm
    Murray
    Murray

Post by Murray Wed May 27, 2009 6:07 pm

Celtic appear to be going for a cheap manager, it's like the old days of the biscuit tin again.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Wed May 27, 2009 6:19 pm

They should get Mowbray IMO.

He would bring in the right sort of players.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Post by Pierre Littbarski Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:09 pm

Adams eyes up Celtic manager role

Former Portsmouth boss Tony Adams says he is in the frame to become the new Celtic manager should the club appoint Wim Jansen as technical director.

Adams said Celtic approached Jansen, who recommended him. But a club source has denied Adams is a candidate.

"When Celtic approached Wim he very kindly said that Tony Adams was the man they needed to go and get," said Adams. Doh

"I'm very interested. I do love winning things, so it does appeal but as of yet, no phone calls."

Adams has been out of the game since being sacked by Portsmouth in February, having won just four of 22 games in charge.

Prior to that, the former Arsenal and England captain was number two to Harry Redknapp at Pompey, after an ill-fated spell in charge of Wycombe and coaching jobs in the Netherlands with Utrecht and Feyenoord.

It was in the latter role that he worked with Jansen, who was technical advisor to the club at the time, and Adams envisages the two working together in a European-style management structure at Celtic.

"I really appreciate and I'm really thankful that there are people in the game who are batting for me and putting me up for the jobs," said Adams.

"By saying manager, it is kind of a head coach's position really because once you have a technical director like you have in Europe, they help you with recruitment.

"As long as you have the final say of who comes in and out, these people are your help in the boardroom.

"I never had that at Portsmouth. It works for me and Celtic is an unbelievable club, you have a 50% chance of winning something up there."

Jansen was head coach of Celtic during the 1998/99 season, but despite leading them to the Scottish Premier League title - their first in 10 years - and winning the League Cup, he left at the end of the season due to a clash with general manager Jock Brown.

Celtic have been without a manager since Gordon Strachan resigned on 25 May, just one day after surrendering the league title to Rangers.

On Monday, the club had an official approach for Swansea boss Roberto Martinez rejected by the Swans.

Croatia coach Slaven Bilic has expressed his interest in the vacancy, while West Brom's Tony Mowbray and Burnley's Owen Coyle are also thought to be candidates but Everton boss David Moyes has ruled himself out of the running.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8079665.stm

606: DEBATE
    "If Tony Adams gets the job I will be walking to Parkhead in protest"
    blackpoolbhoy
    Laugh
    L r dd

Post by L r dd Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:29 pm

He is on the drink again. His interview was a train wreck. He was on SSN going on about how Arsene has assured him hes a great manager Laughing
    TheCrazy58
    TheCrazy58

Number of posts : 8151
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by TheCrazy58 Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:30 am

Hmm, he's been a bit odd recently. Hope it's not a full meltdown. pale
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Post by The Bulk Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 pm

Celtic have appointed Tony Mowbray to succeed Gordon Strachan. The Celtic fans are hoping that he'll get them playing nice football.

Will be interesting to see who he brings in and sells. Should be an interesting seasons in the SPL this year.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:11 pm

Motherwell as set to appoint Jim Gannon as their manager. Potentially a fantastic manager IMO. Took as away from relegation in his first season with us then got us promoted the next season and if you ignore the ten point deduction, we had a very solid mid-table fnish in our first season in league one, and all this with mounting debts and having to sell off our key assets!

In three years he'll be managing a premier league club or one of Rangers or Celtic IMO ok
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Post by Pierre Littbarski Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:15 pm

Scott Severin - any good ?
    Murray
    Murray

Post by Murray Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:38 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:Scott Severin - any good ?

No, he's past it.
    monty
    monty

Post by monty Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:04 pm

Yep would have been a decent signing a few years ago but signs were his legs are going. Never a centre back and doubt he will make much of an impression in CM
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:40 am

M-A Fortune's a great signing for Celtic. Quite profligate in front of goal, but he has very good all-round game to make up for it and should make mincemeat of SPL defences.
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:27 pm

Can any Scottish posters tell me how good John Fleck is please?

Cheers.
    L r dd

Post by L r dd Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:37 pm

He the guy who plays for Rangers?
    Murray
    Murray

Post by Murray Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:34 pm

Ray Parlour wrote:Can any Scottish posters tell me how good John Fleck is please?

Cheers.

He hasn't played much so it's hard to tell. You have to realise that any kid who gets into an Old firm team will be hugely overhyped by the media. Another problem for him is that Walter Smith is an extremely cautious manager who loves to park the bus so flair players like Fleck can find it hard to get in the team.
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:21 pm

Ah I see well it'd be nice for him to go on loan to see more of him.

Seems Smith's parking the bus has had a detrimental effect on the likes of Steven Naismith too ok
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:51 am

He's great on Football Manager, if that's what you want to know Wink
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Post by The Bulk Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:39 pm

I think Celtic might struggle to score goals this season even if TM plays in an attacking manner.

Apart from McDonald, who I don't rate anyway as he's so immobile, I can't really see where the goals are going to come from.

Strachan set Celtic up to mainly score from set-pieces I believe, ie Nakamura with direct FKs, getting the tall players into the box at a FK in the offensive area of the pitch, and corners of course.

But TM doesn't really focus on set-pieces, does he? So Celtic are currently set-up incorrectly for TMs favoured style of play.

McGeady - Not a regular goalscorer and that's not going to change this season imo.

Scott Brown - Same as McGeady and probably even less of a goal threat than him.

Fortune - I'm sure the French posters will confirm that his main attribute is holding up the ball but that his finishing is very very poor for a striker. So I don't expect him to score many unless Celtic get loads of crosses into the box and/or FKs and corners into the area.

Maloney - He hasn't played with any kind form since returning to Celtic. Can't be relied upon to score multiple goals this season. Not as good with FKs as Nakamura either.

Crosas - Got a good long-shot on him but think he will play deeper in TMs system so he won't get as many chances to shoot. Also TM prefers his creative midfielders to pass rather than shoot, so...

N'Guemo - He isn't going to score many as it is just not part of his game.

Donati - Haha!

Killen - Haha!

Samaras - Remains to be seen how well he plays under TM. Also don't expect him to keep his form if he does start playing well. His form will dip over xmas I'm sure. His effectiveness on the pitch is so so contingent to his mood and confidence it seems. Maybe 10-15 this season if he plays the same as he did last season which is what I expect him to do.

Barry Robson - Might chip in with a few but don't expect over 10 goals at all.

Danny Fox - Apparently a FK expert. Hmm. We'll see. He will he cope with 60,000 fans waiting in anticipation of him scoring from his FK? It's not like the pressure at Coventry. I can't see him being a FK expert like Nakamura was at times.

Defenders - Will chip in with a few as you'd expect from corners and set-pieces but can't be relied upon to score most of your goals obviously.

Others - Can't see goals coming from some of the fringe players like Paddy McCourt, Mizuno, Hutchison, etc.

Could be interesting to see how this goes. Don't think this season will work out well for TM and Celtic.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:14 pm