Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Machiavel
fcb
Owen Thomas
7 posters

Is Thierry Henry a successful captain of Arsenal FC?

Poll

Is Thierry Henry a successful captain of Arsenal FC?

[ 2 ]
    Is Thierry Henry a successful captain of Arsenal FC? Bar_left15%Is Thierry Henry a successful captain of Arsenal FC? Bar_right [15%] 
    [ 11 ]
    Is Thierry Henry a successful captain of Arsenal FC? Bar_left85%Is Thierry Henry a successful captain of Arsenal FC? Bar_right [85%] 

Total Votes: 13
    Owen Thomas
    Owen Thomas

Number of posts : 3874
    Supports : Manchester United F.C
    Favourite Player : Q.A Guy..
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Is Thierry Henry a successful captain of Arsenal FC? Empty Is Thierry Henry a successful captain of Arsenal FC?

Post by Owen Thomas Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:28 pm

I just don't believe that captains can be forwards and be a success in that role. What do you guys think?
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Is Thierry Henry a successful captain of Arsenal FC? Empty Re: Is Thierry Henry a successful captain of Arsenal FC?

Post by fcb Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:30 pm

Shearer did well. I don't think you can generalise like that, it all depends on the personality of the player.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Is Thierry Henry a successful captain of Arsenal FC? Empty Re: Is Thierry Henry a successful captain of Arsenal FC?

Post by Machiavel Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:30 pm

He got them to a European Cup Final ...

Captains can be forwards (Cruijff and Cantona -- not out and out forwards, but forwards nonetheless..)

Last edited by on Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:31 pm

I don't see a better candidate, he's the main man at Arsenal so i see no reason for him not to be captain.
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:33 pm

Nah he isnt a good captain. But they dont really have any captain type figure around so i duno who else could be.
    Owen Thomas
    Owen Thomas

Post by Owen Thomas Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:34 pm

Kimbo wrote:I don't see a better candidate, he's the main man at Arsenal so i see no reason for him not to be captain.

Ah but should the best players always be the captain?

To be a captain takes more then just talent. It requires leadership skills and I believe Henry has none. Just look at Terry. He is nowhere near the best player for Chelsea yet is by far their best captain.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:36 pm

Owen Thomas wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:I don't see a better candidate, he's the main man at Arsenal so i see no reason for him not to be captain.

To be a captain takes more then just talent. It requires leadership skills and I believe Henry has none. Just look at Terry. He is nowhere near the best player for Chelsea yet is by far their best captain.

But who in the Arsenal team would you pick? They've got a young team and Henry is probably the player they all look up to.
    DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC

Post by DD Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:36 pm

Henry is simply the captain at Arsenal because he's their most important player - not exactly very shrewd thinking IMO. Henry is no captain material. Certainly not over a bunch of kids.
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:37 pm

Owen Thomas wrote:I just don't believe that captains can be forwards and be a success in that role. What do you guys think?
    Kuijt is one of the very few exceptions to the rule.
    Owen Thomas
    Owen Thomas

Post by Owen Thomas Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:40 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    Owen Thomas wrote:

But who in the Arsenal team would you pick? They've got a young team and Henry is probably the player they all look up to.

Yeah, I take your point. Arsenal are such a young side. Does Gilberto not have the right attributes do you think?
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:41 pm

I'd chose Gilberto too.

If Pires wasn't gone I would've picked him.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:42 pm

What about Jens?
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:42 pm

Owen Thomas wrote: Yeah, I take your point. Arsenal are such a young side. Does Gilberto not have the right attributes do you think?

Gilberto is far too quiet in my opinion, he often went missing last season when we really needed him to stand up and be counted. My choice for captain would be Toure. He is committed, plays at the back and is a reasonably vocal character, although we do not have many options as people point out.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:43 pm

rai Mihawk wrote:What about Jens?

He's an arse. You can't have a captain that randomly attacks people.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:44 pm

Kimbo wrote:

He's passionate..plus he can boss the players around.
    Owen Thomas
    Owen Thomas

Post by Owen Thomas Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:44 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:
    Owen Thomas wrote: Yeah, I take your point. Arsenal are such a young side. Does Gilberto not have the right attributes do you think?

Gilberto is far too quiet in my opinion, he often went missing last season when we really needed him to stand up and be counted. My choice for captain would be Toure. He is committed, plays at the back and is a reasonably vocal character, although we do not have many options as people point out.

He is a good player but is he experienced enough to garner the respect that a captain must always have?

Could you see him ordering Thierry Henry about? I can't.
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:44 pm

Kimbo wrote:

Laughing
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:46 pm

Owen Thomas wrote: He is a good player but is he experienced enough to garner the respect that a captain must always have?

Fair point, but I can't see many players ordering Henry about. He does order the defense and midfield about a bit so he might be ok.
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:47 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:
    Owen Thomas wrote: He is a good player but is he experienced enough to garner the respect that a captain must always have?

Fair point, but I can't see many players ordering Henry about. He does order the defense and midfield about a bit so he might be ok.
    Its not that I don't see many players ordering Henry around, its Henry I don't see taking orders from many players. There lies the problem.
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:48 pm

Kimbo wrote:

Didn't seem to be a problem for Cantona. Nor did being an arse seem to be a deterrent for Shearer and Keane.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:51 pm

Obispo wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

Didn't seem to be a problem for Cantona. Nor did being an arse seem to be a deterrent for Shearer and Keane.

Aye but pushing someone over for no reason whatsoever... it's strange behaviour, and he's done it a few times now.
    Owen Thomas
    Owen Thomas

Post by Owen Thomas Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:16 pm

Suprise, suprise Arsenal just lost Wink
    theflyingfrenchman
    theflyingfrenchman

Number of posts : 4290
    Supports : BWFC, France, Rennes, Auxerre, Lorient
    Favourite Player : Diouf, Anelka, Diagne-Faye, Henry, Toulalan
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Post by theflyingfrenchman Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:22 pm

Owen Thomas wrote:Suprise, suprise Arsenal just lost Wink

And It's mainly Henry's and Hoyte's fault.

The curse of the Hs.
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:32 pm

Was it a big pitch?! Wink What a Face
    Owen Thomas
    Owen Thomas

Post by Owen Thomas Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:33 pm

Distinguished Dutchman wrote:Was it a big pitch?! Wink What a Face

Laugh ok

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 12:30 pm