Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+45
Ä
The Easter Bunny
Pierre Littbarski
briz
Rosy
Lordanger
Football Genius
AcciDrenthe
NCFC
The Pröfessör
Juligen
Zack
Rosicky
christmasborocooper
Deluded F*ck™
caporegimes
Sir Les
Sir Harry Flashman
Rez
Chap
Axeslammer
L.r.d
shazlx
Glenarch of the Glen
COTR
Parks lives
PaoloTramezzani
Kimbo
Deano
Rasiak-9
debaser
lrdsucksgoats
Batman
Luis
Dwarf
DS
Sgoater1
Chocolate Thunder
Sheffield gunner
SuperMario
Fey
Machiavel
S4P
Di Caniooooo!
Cesc Soler
49 posters

FA Cup Third Round Weekend Thread

Lordanger
    Lordanger

Number of posts : 1519
    Supports : hairbands
    Favourite Player : Not Gerrard
    Registration date : 2006-09-27

FA Cup Third Round Weekend Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: FA Cup Third Round Weekend Thread

Post by Lordanger Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:57 pm

[quote="King Otto"]
    LordAnger wrote:
    briz wrote:
    LordAnger wrote:
    briz wrote:
    LordAnger wrote:LRD (how many LRDs are there?)
    perhaps i generalize a little but if i hear any more tedious anecdotes about 'plucky underdogs' or 'brave lower-league battlers' then i may go extremely postal on a selection of primary schools with a very large gun, and a sword.

briz,
    your very welcome to support who you like but don't try and tell me that anyone who actually appreciates 'the art of football' can be experiencing any emotion apart from despair whilst watching the general standard of lower league football*
    People who appreciate the 'art of football' don't matter,the fans watching their teams play in lower league football do matter.
    God help us if it were only the laughably named 'Champions League' on offer.

I've seen lower league football, too much of it in fact ,and i can safely say that it bores the $h!t out of me. What is the point of paying to watch people play footy when they are barely better than myself? i cant see one.
    lower league football is for people from insular communities who are afraid of the modern world and the 'bigger picture'. 50 years ago i can understand people being 'local' and thinking it is the 'best thing since free coal for workers' but in this day and age it barely serves a purpose apart from to make real player look better.

So all these players that play for 'big' teams,they just materialise in these teams dressing rooms like something from Star Trek then? If all these teams were so good,their managers wouldn't be spending billions on players who started out at er, small rubbish clubs.

you miss the point, of course the cream must float to the top and for their to be a top their must be a bottom, and perhaps even a middle but we don't need to glorify their tedium and lack of skill. 22 men charging about a ploughed field, kicking 7 bells of shite into each other isnt football and the sooner *cough cough* the working class*cough cough* work this out and stop reading the scum then the better it will be for all football in this country.
    Im not having a go at small teams, im just saying their brand of %s football is not only counter-productive to the long-term future of the game in this country but its $h!t-awful to watch too. I think our mightly national team is all the proof i need that the attitude to football in this country is wrong and you -Sir- are not helping. think about the bigger picture perhaps?

You are absolutely right. The problem is that English coaches live in the world of up and at 'em. It's OK for the Prem where English coaches are being banished but English youngsters have to put up with this standard of coaching and we see the results. What have England ever achieved at youth level? Nothing I can remember other than losing 8-0 to Argentina.
    im glad im not alone, was getting worried then. 'please dont burn me hillbillies, im not a witch. IM NOT A WITCH!'
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

FA Cup Third Round Weekend Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: FA Cup Third Round Weekend Thread

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:00 pm

best thing about this game - Stevie Wonder song at the end Ale
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Fey Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:01 pm

Stoke should have won that game, but they have won my heart!

I declare myself as the head of the Stokebloods now

Ale
    briz

Number of posts : 263
    Supports : sheffield united
    Registration date : 2007-08-30

Post by briz Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:04 pm

[quote="LordAnger"]yup the have cults in the valleys, full of piggy-nosed serial killers and longballers.

briz, round and round we go. It stands to reason that each geographical area will produce the odd decent player but i fail to see what that has to do with the style they choose to play in.

I dont remember 66 as i was -roughly- minus 12 at the time and being no more than a twinkle in my daddy's eye my theories and opinions on football back then were somewhat embryonic to say the least.

Im not a plastic fan, no matter what you think, im just trying to view football as a whole and not with my club colours pinned to my chest. I wouldnt have a problem with lower-league footy if they passed the ball to each other ON THE GROUND and viewed ball-retention as something positive instead of as a xenophobic term used to pigeonhole them damn foreigners who keep coming over here to ruin our game with their hairbands, skills and intelligence. HOW DARE THEY THINK WHILST PLAYING FOOTBALL! what are they? gay? one thing is for sure: they aint from in the valley, like the real people.[/quote

So you didn't see Luton outfootball Liverpool this afternoon then.But Rafa won't be buying up their players in the window and improving them,He will be wasting money on the next Kuyt or Voronin,so denying english players places in the Liverpool team.
    Sir Les
    Sir Les

Number of posts : 1451
    Supports : Arsenal
    Registration date : 2007-09-10

Post by Sir Les Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:05 pm

briz wrote:
    King Otto wrote:
    briz wrote:you miss the point, of course the cream must float to the top and for their to be a top their must be a bottom, and perhaps even a middle but we don't need to glorify their tedium and lack of skill. 22 men charging about a ploughed field, kicking 7 bells of shite into each other isnt football and the sooner *cough cough* the working class*cough cough* work this out and stop reading the scum then the better it will be for all football in this country.
    Im not having a go at small teams, im just saying their brand of %s football is not only counter-productive to the long-term future of the game in this country but its $h!t-awful to watch too. I think our mightly national team is all the proof i need that the attitude to football in this country is wrong and you -Sir- are not helping. think about the bigger picture perhaps?

You miss the point completely.The small teams have been developing the talent for the England team since time began,remember 1966?. They still produce talent which could go into the England team,but the greedy CL is all that matters teams want foreign players who are the finished article now,so they are the ones ruining the English team.Smaller teams are doing what they always have done,dicovering talent at grass roots,not from Madrid,Barcelona or Milan.

but this young English talent has achieved nothing for years and years. Compare us (by results) with German or Italy or Portugal or Holland.

Of Course it hasn't achieved anything,how can it when more importance is given to imports from around the World by virtually all the PL instead of further development of English players who, in time and with big clubs, could get better.Instead they are overlooked for imports.Other countries develop more home grown top class players and import less.
    [/quote]

That's too easy an explanation, England youth teams (at a range of levels) have done nothing at world level ever (certainly never won anything and most of the time haven't qualified). The problem has just been exascerbated by the foreign imports showing up the poor skill levels of domestic players.
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United

Post by Deano Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:06 pm

Luton are full of academy players I must add...
    briz

Post by briz Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:13 pm

King Otto wrote:
    briz wrote:
    King Otto wrote:
    briz wrote:you miss the point, of course the cream must float to the top and for their to be a top their must be a bottom, and perhaps even a middle but we don't need to glorify their tedium and lack of skill. 22 men charging about a ploughed field, kicking 7 bells of shite into each other isnt football and the sooner *cough cough* the working class*cough cough* work this out and stop reading the scum then the better it will be for all football in this country.

You miss the point completely.The small teams have been developing the talent for the England team since time began,remember 1966?. They still produce talent which could go into the England team,but the greedy CL is all that matters teams want foreign players who are the finished article now,so they are the ones ruining the English team.Smaller teams are doing what they always have done,dicovering talent at grass roots,not from Madrid,Barcelona or Milan.

but this young English talent has achieved nothing for years and years. Compare us (by results) with German or Italy or Portugal or Holland.

Of Course it hasn't achieved anything,how can it when more importance is given to imports from around the World by virtually all the PL instead of further development of English players who, in time and with big clubs, could get better.Instead they are overlooked for imports.Other countries develop more home grown top class players and import less.

That's too easy an explanation, England youth teams (at a range of levels) have done nothing at world level ever (certainly never won anything and most of the time haven't qualified). The problem has just been exascerbated by the foreign imports showing up the poor skill levels of domestic players.[/quote]

Maybe they haven't won anything,that doesn't mean they didn't have good players.West Ham never won much,but they at least developed English talent up until recently that eventually got into the England team,again,remember1966.Now even they are being forced to look for inferior imports for a quick fix, eg to stay up.
    Lordanger
    Lordanger

Post by Lordanger Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:15 pm

wooooah, come on briz. you cant blame jonny foreigner for our awful attitude to football. liverpool fans perhaps (for getting us all banned for a few years during which the game in this country regressed massively and from which this overwhelming 'us against the world' attitude resurfaced) but not the foreign players.
    sure some of the imports are $h!t but only a fully signed up member of the BNP could argue that the likes of ROnaldo, tevez, henry, cesc etc are not good for our game.

it seems -or so tv tells me- that the powers that be have finally worked out some of this and plan to teach our kids to love the ball instead of kicking the $h!t out of it but this wont be seen on the pitch for 10-15 years yet.

are you really 51?
    briz

Post by briz Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:22 pm

LordAnger wrote:wooooah, come on briz. you cant blame jonny foreigner for our awful attitude to football. liverpool fans perhaps (for getting us all banned for a few years during which the game in this country regressed massively and from which this overwhelming 'us against the world' attitude resurfaced) but not the foreign players.
    sure some of the imports are $h!t but only a fully signed up member of the BNP could argue that the likes of ROnaldo, tevez, henry, cesc etc are not good for our game.

it seems -or so tv tells me- that the powers that be have finally worked out some of this and plan to teach our kids to love the ball instead of kicking the $h!t out of it but this wont be seen on the pitch for 10-15 years yet.

are you really 51?

Good for the game?...I think you are actually trying to move the goalposts,we were talking about the England TEAM.
    Most people are 51 at some stage.
    Sir Les
    Sir Les

Post by Sir Les Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:23 pm

LordAnger wrote:wooooah, come on briz. you cant blame jonny foreigner for our awful attitude to football. liverpool fans perhaps (for getting us all banned for a few years during which the game in this country regressed massively and from which this overwhelming 'us against the world' attitude resurfaced) but not the foreign players.

are you really 51?

Absolutely right. This idea that we can be rubbish at junior levels but then magically develop into world cup winners just doesn't make sense. What has happened over the past 50 years is that training and coaching have moved on tremendously abroad especially in countries like France and Portugal. We have stood still and Trevor Brooking has commented on the resistance of the football establishment to doing anything about it. Meanwhile the media hype English players who wouldn't be considered more than average PL players elsewhere and the public are surprised when they are taught a footballing lesson by Croatia.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:29 pm

LordAnger wrote:perhaps i generalize a little but if i hear any more tedious anecdotes about 'plucky underdogs' or 'brave lower-league battlers' then i may go extremely postal on a selection of primary schools with a very large gun, and a sword.
    bet you hated the end of 'it's a wonderful life'. i mean, potter was clearly the best businessman in town, and goshdarn jimmy stewart should've fired his dumbass uncle years ago. damned community spirit papering the cracks of inferior skill levels.
    Lordanger
    Lordanger

Post by Lordanger Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:38 pm

briz, im not moving the goal posts. having players like ronaldo in our league (when 15 years ago we had 1 star in the entire league and he couldn't get in the frog team) not only encourages young players to play the game but it shows them -week in, week out- what is capable in this most beautiful of games. watching carlton palmer or paul dicov doesn't have the same effect, this cant be denied.
    when you were at school and the teachers asked you what you wanted to be when you grew up did you say 'shelf stacker' or 'film star'? How many kids at any club in the country say $h!t like ' i wanna play football like robbie savage when i grow up, f@ck that leo messi guy he is $h!t with his skills and all that. i just wanna kick people and see if i can get the ball in the clouds 40x a game'?
    Also, if all is so rosy in english football then why is it that we cant find 1 -yes 1- manager capable of managing a top club or national team? perhaps we have a lack of decent coaches in this country? crazeeeee... Last time it was appoint an england manager time the FA listened to the flag wavers and look where that got us: serious embarrassment, the laughing stock of European footy.
    BOTTOM LINE IS THAT UNTIL ENGLISH FOOTBALL PUTS SKILL BEFORE VIOLENCE AND PACE THEN WE WILL NEVER BE ANY GOOD.
    briz

Post by briz Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:39 pm

King Otto wrote:

are you really 51?

Absolutely right. This idea that we can be rubbish at junior levels but then magically develop into world cup winners just doesn't make sense. What has happened over the past 50 years is that training and coaching have moved on tremendously abroad especially in countries like France and Portugal. We have stood still and Trevor Brooking has commented on the resistance of the football establishment to doing anything about it. Meanwhile the media hype English players who wouldn't be considered more than average PL players elsewhere and the public are surprised when they are taught a footballing lesson by Croatia.

Well I am afraid that I am going to stick to my guns on this,even though there are dozens of reasons,one of the main ones is the easy money available for PL teams to bring over inferior imports so pushing English players further down in their chance to develop into better players,therefore damaging the england team.Obviously,we also have a coaching problem too,which hopefully Cappello can help to solve from top to bottom.
    Lordanger
    Lordanger

Post by Lordanger Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:41 pm

debaser wrote:
    LordAnger wrote:perhaps i generalize a little but if i hear any more tedious anecdotes about 'plucky underdogs' or 'brave lower-league battlers' then i may go extremely postal on a selection of primary schools with a very large gun, and a sword.
    bet you hated the end of 'it's a wonderful life'. i mean, potter was clearly the best businessman in town, and goshdarn jimmy stewart should've fired his dumbass uncle years ago. damned community spirit papering the cracks of inferior skill levels.

ive not seen that one, it probably sounds a bit too much like a rom-com for my liking. Is vin diesel in it? Wink
    Sir Les
    Sir Les

Post by Sir Les Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:43 pm

Briz, I wish Capello well but remember Trevor Brooking who is supposed to be developing youth has publicly stated the problems he has with trying to change things.
    Sir Les
    Sir Les

Post by Sir Les Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:44 pm

LordAnger wrote:
    debaser wrote:

ive not seen that one, it probably sounds a bit too much like a rom-com for my liking. Is vin diesel in it? Wink

Rom com indeed. lol!
    briz

Post by briz Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:53 pm

LordAnger wrote:briz, im not moving the goal posts. having players like ronaldo in our league (when 15 years ago we had 1 star in the entire league and he couldn't get in the frog team) not only encourages young players to play the game but it shows them -week in, week out- what is capable in this most beautiful of games. watching carlton palmer or paul dicov doesn't have the same effect, this cant be denied.
    when you were at school and the teachers asked you what you wanted to be when you grew up did you say 'shelf stacker' or 'film star'? How many kids at any club in the country say $h!t like ' i wanna play football like robbie savage when i grow up, f@ck that leo messi guy he is $h!t with his skills and all that. i just wanna kick people and see if i can get the ball in the clouds 40x a game'?
    Also, if all is so rosy in english football then why is it that we cant find 1 -yes 1- manager capable of managing a top club or national team? perhaps we have a lack of decent coaches in this country? crazeeeee... Last time it was appoint an england manager time the FA listened to the flag wavers and look where that got us: serious embarrassment, the laughing stock of European footy.
    BOTTOM LINE IS THAT UNTIL ENGLISH FOOTBALL PUTS SKILL BEFORE VIOLENCE AND PACE THEN WE WILL NEVER BE ANY GOOD.

Yep,I was expecting the 'see how these International Stars play and some of their magic will rub off on you'.I am sceptical on that,you can take a horse to water...etc etc.Also,I am afraid we are now moving into the 'social decline of the Country' territory.I really think kids today could not be bothered if they were a footballer or not in future.If you asked most of them,footballer would be way down the list,most of them want money for doing nothing,or just want to do absolutely nothing.
    Sorry for showing my age, but the number of young kids playing kick about has been declining for decades as football is no longer working class,and so lots of kids never even have an interest in football.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:58 pm

LordAnger wrote:
    debaser wrote:

you should check it. not a romcom, but Capra-corn at its finest. i kind of wanted to hate it, but just couldn't do it Blush
    Lordanger
    Lordanger

Post by Lordanger Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:01 pm

ill agree with you there: we are mini america and all getting fat and obsessed with tedious $h!t like celebrities.
    e.g. programme on channel 4 just said that over 2 million americans are over 40 stone and is focusing on one fat beeatch that is 65 stone! 65 STONE!!! ah, but there is a moral to the story, the fat bitch has died. good. now ship her corpse to kenya so they dont all starve.

in relation to the above point, i'm pretty sure that a kid from the slums of rio or cordoba; the war-stained plains of africa or other such impoverished places is going to be a bit keener to make it in soccer than fat billy from leeds who loves his playstation. but as you said, this is a far deeper and wider ranging debate, that encompasses many more facets of modern life than just our demise at football. Is it all beckham's fault?
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:02 pm

PaoloTramezzani wrote:
    Honourable C*nt™️ wrote:Yup - we score, we concede, we entertain, and we amuse.

Robinson & Hudds Grr

nic sig

(i'm telling bovers)

Grass Razz
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:03 pm

PT is from Spursforum? f@ck, how didn't I realise...I remember him from there!
    Lordanger
    Lordanger

Post by Lordanger Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:03 pm

debaser wrote:
    LordAnger wrote:
    debaser wrote:

you should check it. not a romcom, but Capra-corn at its finest. i kind of wanted to hate it, but just couldn't do it Blush

i'll look out for it, could be worth a download, but ever since i did movie criticism at uni i can hardly bring myself to watch feature films as they usually have at least one factor that makes me feel violently ill.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:06 pm

Matthew Upson wrote:PT is from Spursforum? f@ck, how didn't I realise...I remember him from there!

I told you Ash, that if I invited anyone over, it would be the Posters that I think are worthy... drunken
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:08 pm

Matthew Upson wrote:PT is from Spursforum? f@ck, how didn't I realise...I remember him from there!

Give Amsterhammer an invite..you dont want more Spurs fans then hammers here do you? Biggrin
    Black Magic

Number of posts : 7514
    Registration date : 2007-10-14

Post by Black Magic Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:08 pm

LordAnger wrote: How many kids at any club in the country say $h!t like ' i wanna play football like robbie savage when i grow up, f@ck that leo messi guy he is $h!t with his skills and all that. i just wanna kick people and see if i can get the ball in the clouds 40x a game'?

lol! lol! lol!

Kun Aguero <Ale> <Ale> <Ale>
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:09 pm

Honourable C*nt™️ wrote:

I told you Ash, that if I invited anyone over, it would be the Posters that I think are worthy... drunken

Yeah he wasn't all that from what I remember, seems alright here.

You could get Revs and Chilavert over...would make things interesting Laughing.
    Lordanger
    Lordanger

Post by Lordanger Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:15 pm

yup Kun, that well known robbie savage clone. Smile
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:18 pm

Glenn Hysén wrote:
    De Guzman wrote:
    Glenn Hysén wrote:Luton need to be careful not to score a winner, they need the cash from a replay Laugh
    scratch

what about the cash from the next round?

unless they draw Man United away it wont be nearly as much. Plus most of their players will have left by then.
    Is it true your greedy US owners don't want to share the revenue of the match at Anfield with Luton?

http://europeanboard.ephpbb.com/off-topic-discussion-f8/stingy-l-pool-wont-share-50-gate-money-with-luton-t13794.htm

If so your first post does not make sense

Last edited by on Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    briz

Post by briz Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:19 pm

LordAnger wrote:ill agree with you there: we are mini america and all getting fat and obsessed with tedious $h!t like celebrities.
    e.g. programme on channel 4 just said that over 2 million americans are over 40 stone and is focusing on one fat beeatch that is 65 stone! 65 STONE!!! ah, but there is a moral to the story, the fat bitch has died. good. now ship her corpse to kenya so they dont all starve.

in relation to the above point, i'm pretty sure that a kid from the slums of rio or cordoba; the war-stained plains of africa or other such impoverished places is going to be a bit keener to make it in soccer than fat billy from leeds who loves his playstation. but as you said, this is a far deeper and wider ranging debate, that encompasses many more facets of modern life than just our demise at football. Is it all beckham's fault?

Well I think the only thing you can blame Beckham for is milking his status for everything it was worth and putting football behind that,but who wouldn't have done it,and he worked hard to get to that position.English football is rooted in its club culture,and the national team will always come second.As long as fans have a team to support every week they are happy,and if it plays football 'as it should be played' so much the better,but really,its all about survival and the next result.If its achieved by strength and power,fans will not care,and I don't blame them,because they only care about their team,and the game exists for the fans.So the England team might suffer,but we will have to agree to disagree on this,as I am a 'club' man,and England come a poor second.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:11 pm

Honourable C*nt™️ wrote:

I didn't realise any were worthy. That place is full of pond life. Sub-human degenerate scum. <Ale>

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 11:14 am