Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Tweesus
Roger Hunt
youonlycametooseeeboue
Sgoater1
christmasborocooper
Pierre Littbarski
Hardrada
Machiavel
12 posters

Shevchenko: My First Season in England

Poll

Roughly, how many goals will Sheva notch up in the English Premier League?

[ 1 ]
    Shevchenko: My First Season in England Bar_left3%Shevchenko: My First Season in England Bar_right [3%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Shevchenko: My First Season in England Bar_left9%Shevchenko: My First Season in England Bar_right [9%] 
    [ 8 ]
    Shevchenko: My First Season in England Bar_left24%Shevchenko: My First Season in England Bar_right [24%] 
    [ 13 ]
    Shevchenko: My First Season in England Bar_left39%Shevchenko: My First Season in England Bar_right [39%] 
    [ 8 ]
    Shevchenko: My First Season in England Bar_left24%Shevchenko: My First Season in England Bar_right [24%] 

Total Votes: 33
    Poll closed
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Shevchenko: My First Season in England Empty Shevchenko: My First Season in England

Post by Machiavel Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:54 pm

He cost Roman £30M (mere loose change) and he has a reputation as one of the most lethal strikers in the game...so defenders across the league should be having sleepless nights (apart from Heinze and Vidic of course Wink )

OK, enough talk about Money...the real question is how will he do at Chelsea?? (being a 'World Class' Forward, it will be unthinkable and outrageous if he starts any Premier League and UEFA Champions League games on the bench)

So we can assume he will start more than 30 games in the league (hopefully he wont suffer any injury that can dent this)

Roughly how many goals will he get for Chelsea this following season (hopefully more than Lampard) and could he be a contender for the ESM Golden Boot Award??

Also i hope he does well in his English lessons and in no time he will be on MOTD..
    Hardrada

Number of posts : 2106
    Supports : Chelsea FC
    Favourite Player : GFZ

Shevchenko: My First Season in England Empty Re: Shevchenko: My First Season in England

Post by Hardrada Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:00 pm

Well, considering he wont take penalties (not that we get many anyway) and he is fairly injury prone - Im going to be conservative and vote 16-20.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Shevchenko: My First Season in England Empty Re: Shevchenko: My First Season in England

Post by Pierre Littbarski Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:07 pm

Well Peter Reid said that "judging by his performances in the World Cup Chelsea have bought the wrong Ukranian".

The cynics amongst us may say that it would be better to judge him on the fact that he has terrorised some of the best defences in football over the past decade, is the all time leading scorer in the European cup, the only foreigner to be top scorer in a Serie A debut season or the fact that he's 2 footed, or the fact that his shooting has the most amazing combination of power and accuracy seen since Batistuta - or even the fact that last season he scored 19 in 24 Serie A starts, 9 in 11 Champions League starts and 6 in 9 WCQ starts.

But it would be foolish for any of us on here to disagree with Reidy who is without doubt one of the most respected tactical minds within football.

In fact, I'm amazed he's been out of work for the last couple of years.

3 goals tops.
    Kevin

Post by Kevin Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:14 pm

What Ukranium should they have bourght?
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:15 pm

Rebrov
    S4P

Post by S4P Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:20 pm

20+ I'm hoping for. He'll be the main striker and should get at least 5 goals in the CL anyway.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City

Post by Sgoater1 Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:24 pm

Its very hard to say as a lot will depend on the system Mourinho decides to play with and how Shev adapts to it. If i had to have a stab in the dark id go for high teens maybe early 20s.
    youonlycametooseeeboue

Number of posts : 932
    Supports : Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Hleb and Lampard

Post by youonlycametooseeeboue Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:25 pm

strikers tend not to do so well in mourinho's system.
    Hardrada

Post by Hardrada Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:52 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:Well Peter Reid said that "judging by his performances in the World Cup Chelsea have bought the wrong Ukranian".

The cynics amongst us may say that it would be better to judge him on the fact that he has terrorised some of the best defences in football over the past decade, is the all time leading scorer in the European cup, the only foreigner to be top scorer in a Serie A debut season or the fact that he's 2 footed, or the fact that his shooting has the most amazing combination of power and accuracy seen since Batistuta - or even the fact that last season he scored 19 in 24 Serie A starts, 9 in 11 Champions League starts and 6 in 9 WCQ starts.

But it would be foolish for any of us on here to disagree with Reidy who is without doubt one of the most respected tactical minds within football.

In fact, I'm amazed he's been out of work for the last couple of years.

3 goals tops.

Awesome.
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115

Post by Roger Hunt Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:53 am

rai Mihawk wrote:
    (apart from Heinze and Vidic of course Wink

? I'd have thought we'd have less to worry about, he seems unable to score against Liverpool! Smile

(Hope I'm not eating those words come May pale )
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:59 am

I guess 16 goals.

He seems to have a few injury problems - if he managed a full season it may well be over 20 though
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:01 am

borocooper wrote:Rebrov

And thats why Peter Reid is a twat.
    Saintsar

Post by Saintsar Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:46 am

Tweedledum wrote:
    borocooper wrote:Rebrov

And thats why Peter Reid is a twat.

And because his 'tactical' understanding is limited to expressions like 'when that ball goes dead, we're alive'.

In fact, I'm convinced that I understand more about football tactics than Peter Reid...
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:33 pm

Shevchenko v Manchester United - cant wait for him to play at OT; this following season.

I have not forgiven him; what he did last time he played against United - a pre season friendly in which United were winning 1:0 against Milan (thanks to Paul Scholes)...Sheva in the 89' min done one of the most blatant dives you will ever seen...penalty: and he scored (yes he can score penalties)

So i hope Rio, Brown (or Vidic) and HEINZE give him a 'personal' welcome to the Premier League and Old Trafford (could be his first game there against United..not sure if he played there with Kiev??)
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Post by Roger Hunt Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:39 pm

rai Mihawk wrote:
    Sheva in the 89' min done one of the most blatant dives you will ever seen...

Doubt it, I've seen Cronaldo Wink

rai Mihawk wrote:
    (yes he can score penalties)

Not against us Very Happy
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:46 pm

@ Roger_Hunt

OK; but when he plays against Liverpool...he wants REVENGE (for himself)
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Post by Roger Hunt Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:50 pm

I don't think he'll be any more fired up against us than he will be against you.

Bet he scores a hattrick now Yikes
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:53 pm

when I said Rebrov up there ^^^^^

it was a joke Razz
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:15 pm

With the Chelsea's current system I doubt that he will get 20 goals mopre 15ish.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:30 pm

borocooper wrote:when I said Rebrov up there ^^^^^

it was a joke Razz

To some of us that was quite obvious, dear Wink
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:31 pm

Axeslammer ! wrote:
    borocooper wrote:when I said Rebrov up there ^^^^^

it was a joke Razz

To some of us that was quite obvious, dear Wink

I thought it would/should be....just didnt seem like people understood pig
    El Fenomeno
    El Fenomeno

Number of posts : 124
    Supports : West Bromwich Albion, by far the greatest team the world has ever seen!

Post by El Fenomeno Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:20 pm

I dont think he will be in the 25-30 range as he will need a few games to adapt but i fancy him to be up there with about 20 goals, he's a lethal finisher and i think Chelsea will be creating chances for fun this season.
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Post by Roger Hunt Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:22 pm

You might be right. I think people have underestimated how poor a finisher Drogba is.

He's a rich man's Heskey - strong, fast, holds the ball up, nightmare to mark, but just doesn't score enough. Very Happy
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:26 pm

14 League goals.
    8 Champions league goals.
    2/3 Domestic cup goals.

I have lottery numbers for people as well.
    Hardrada

Post by Hardrada Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:27 pm

Roger_Hunt wrote:You might be right. I think people have underestimated how poor a finisher Drogba is.

He's a rich man's Heskey - strong, fast, holds the ball up, nightmare to mark, but just doesn't score enough. Very Happy

Erm

In 2004/5 he had the 2nd best goals:minutes ratio in the league.

Even last year his goals:minute ratio was better than Rooney's. (Im not sure where it was relative to other players, I would guess pretty high though).
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Post by Roger Hunt Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:36 pm

Hardrada wrote:
    [Even last year his goals:minute ratio was better than Rooney's.

Rooney's hardly a goal machine is he?

My prediction is Shev will score a lot more than Drog this season barring injury. Ale

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:26 pm