Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
EMP
Dwarf
Nightwing
lrdsucksgoats
Sgoater1
Machiavel
debaser
12 posters

Almunia comes to terms with Lehmann's 'hate'

debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Almunia comes to terms with Lehmann's 'hate' Empty Almunia comes to terms with Lehmann's 'hate'

Post by debaser Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:59 am

Arsenal's goalkeeper is ready to face United knowing his team-mate couldn't think less of him

I'm an easy-going person," Manuel Almunia says. "I like to treat everyone with respect and I see everyone as equals. I treat people the way I would like to be treated myself. To have someone here who hates me is just amazing. I know he hates me."

There can be only one goalkeeper in every team so it is to be expected that the men fighting for that place occasionally clash. In Holland, as a substitute goalkeeper at PSV Eindhoven, Ronald Waterreus used to switch on the television in the middle of the night to make sure his room-mate and rival, Georg Koch, slept badly before games. David James will admit cold-shouldering Brad Friedel when the American signed for Liverpool.

It is easy to understand, however, why Almunia, Arsenal's goalkeeper, has run out of patience with Jens Lehmann. All season, ever since Lehmann lost his place, the German has been belittling Almunia at every opportunity. He has described it as a "humiliation" to lose his place to a goalkeeper whose previous clubs include Osasuna B, Cartagena, Sabadell, Eibar and Recreativo Huelva.

He has described himself sitting on the sidelines feeling "very angry" and having to "clench my fist in my pocket". His words have been laced with contempt and, with a carefully planned sense of timing, he claimed this week that Arsenal would still be in the Champions League if he had been in goal. "To be sitting on the bench behind somebody who only started to play when he was 30 is not funny."

Until now, Almunia has chosen to rise above the jibes. This has been a difficult week for everyone at the Emirates and, as the team prepared for tomorrow's game at Manchester United, it became clear that their relationship has broken down irretrievably.

"Every morning I wake up," says Almunia, "I know it is going to be the same. I've had to put up with it every day since he was out of the team and even before then. I wake up and I know what it is going to be like. But I don't care about him any more. He can say what he likes. I come into training and I work with Lukasz Fabianski and Vito Mannone. They are better goalkeepers than him anyway."

Almunia is not a vindictive man. Far from it. Ask anyone at Arsenal about the 30-year-old from Pamplona and they will talk about him being one of the more popular members of Arsène Wenger's dressing room. That is why he is so appalled by Lehmann's behaviour. "It's his problem, not mine, and I don't see why I should try to talk to him about it. The truth is I don't want to talk to him. I came into training this morning and one of the press officers told me he had been saying bad things about me in the newspapers again. It didn't surprise me. The truth is I have got used to reading these things from him. If he was someone important to me, I would try to talk to him and see what the problem is. But he's not. So we don't talk."

Lehmann, it should be pointed out, has history when it comes to falling out with rival goalkeepers and, famously, had a long-standing grudge with Oliver Kahn as they competed for the same place in the German national team. Yet Almunia, by all accounts, is a difficult man to dislike.

"I've never been in a situation like this before in my career," he says. "Normally we goalkeepers have so much respect for each other. Why he doesn't respect me, I don't know. But I don't want any relationship with him. I try not to let what he says enter my mind because it's not important to me what he says or what he thinks."

The people who matter to Almunia are his family and the rest of the Arsenal players. Plus, of course, Arsène Wenger. "I have had a lot of nice words from them," he says. "I've been in the first XI nearly all the season and I'm happy with my form. I've kept my level up and I think I can be satisfied with my performances. Apart from one person, the people here have shown a lot of confidence in me."

Almunia has had to show the strength of his character because he has been under scrutiny ever since he displaced Lehmann. One newspaper likened him to Manuel from Fawlty Towers after Manchester United's 2-2 draw at the Emirates in November, but the volume has gradually been turned down on his critics. One certainty is that he has made fewer errors than the man who seems so intent on demeaning him. Lehmann, lest it be forgotten, was dropped because, in Wenger's opinion, the 38-year-old had become a danger to his own team.

Since then, Lehmann has been increasingly getting under Wenger's skin and there was a telling scene at the manager's press conference yesterday when he was asked whether the German would get a new contract when his present deal expires at the end of this season. "Pardon?" said Wenger incredulously. The question was repeated and Wenger snorted with laughter. "The boss is trying to build a team of kind people," says Almunia. "He wants easy-going people who have character. He doesn't like arguments in the dressing room."

The Spaniard signed his own contract extension last week and is confident of retaining his place even if, as seems highly likely, Wenger signs a replacement for Lehmann. "If another goalkeeper comes in he will be made welcome," he says. "I hope we can have a good atmosphere with all the goalkeepers working together. I signed my contract because my heart is with Arsenal."

He is, however, still feeling depressed after what has been a chastening period for the club, culminating in them going out of the Champions League against Liverpool on Tuesday. "It's been a very difficult period," he says of a run that has also seen Wenger's side fall out of contention in the Premier League. "Nobody expected us to have such a bad time as this. Manchester United and Chelsea had a few bad games at the start of the season and we've had our bad period at the crucial point of the league. That has killed us.

"If you have one player off form, it is fine because you can replace him. But when it's many players, all at the same time, the team will suffer. We are a young team and our squad is quite small. Maybe we've lost confidence, too. Everything seems to have affected us and it looks as though Eduardo's injury has in particular. The truth is that ever since that game, Birmingham away, we have not played well. The team have not given 100% and we have bad results."

The scene in the away dressing room at Anfield was particularly emotional. "Everyone had their heads down, close to tears. It was very quiet, not a time for anyone to be blaming anybody else. I was devastated. I'm so upset and disappointed. But we have to come back stronger next year. We need a bigger squad, maybe some new players with greater experience, and then we'll be OK." And Almunia, one suspects, will not be heartbroken to know that the bad-tempered German who has been scoffing about his performances all season will not be around to see it.

Very Happy
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Almunia comes to terms with Lehmann's 'hate' Empty Re: Almunia comes to terms with Lehmann's 'hate'

Post by Machiavel Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:07 am

No team wants Lehmann in the words of Der Kaiser "Lehmann is a liability" he should be put down.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City

Almunia comes to terms with Lehmann's 'hate' Empty Re: Almunia comes to terms with Lehmann's 'hate'

Post by Sgoater1 Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:16 am

Lehmann is a c**t and everyone knows it. He will endup moving back to Germany prob to a team hoping to challeng for a UEFA place, cos i cant see any really big teams wanting to take a risk on him.
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Number of posts : 9523
    Supports : Decentralisation of the state
    Favourite Player : The lesser spotted Ronaldo
    Registration date : 2007-02-25

Post by lrdsucksgoats Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:24 pm

Goalkeepers with his experience are in very short supply. As are goalkeepers with his personality.

Someone will take a gamble I reckon. Who's looking for a keeper?
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:26 pm

Spurs are...Lehmann's the kind of guy who'd probably love going across the city and thriving of the hate of all the Arsenal fans when they play. but I doubt he'll stay in England tbh
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Post by lrdsucksgoats Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:37 pm

Sure, I think he's headed back to the continent, though Spurs would make for a wonderful story.

What's the word on Carson, are your lot buying him or not?
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:40 pm

Yoda wrote:Sure, I think he's headed back to the continent, though Spurs would make for a wonderful story.

What's the word on Carson, are your lot buying him or not?
    not too sure. O'Neill hasn't given any hints on this. he's been a bit iffy the second half of the season, and I think Liverpool are pricing him at £10m, so I wouldn't be shocked if we looked elsewhere, but he does fit the usual O'Neill template (young, English)
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Post by lrdsucksgoats Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:41 pm

So it's a definite maybe?

Would you fancy Lehmann at Villa?
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:43 pm

Yoda wrote:So it's a definite maybe?
    Yep

Yoda wrote:Would you fancy Lehmann at Villa?
    Not really. Just has a bit too much baggage. Plus I'd rather we got something more long term.
    Nightwing
    Nightwing

Number of posts : 4563
    Supports : Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : The Red Wiz (C.Ronaldo)
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Nightwing Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:46 pm

Yoda wrote:Goalkeepers with his experience are in very short supply. As are goalkeepers with his personality.

Liverpool! ok
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Post by lrdsucksgoats Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:00 pm

debaser wrote:
    Yoda wrote:So it's a definite maybe?
    Yep

Yoda wrote:Would you fancy Lehmann at Villa?
    Not really. Just has a bit too much baggage. Plus I'd rather we got something more long term.

Well, it looks at this stage that O'Neill's going to be given time to build on this promising start, so I totally agree that you'd be better off looking for a younger keeper who'll hold down the position for several seasons.
    Dwarf

Number of posts : 7502
    Supports : Operation Puerto
    Favourite Player : Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Dwarf Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:23 pm

Nightwing wrote:
    Yoda wrote:Goalkeepers with his experience are in very short supply. As are goalkeepers with his personality.

Liverpool! ok

Wouldn't be the worst idea as a back up assuming Carson's fobbed off.
    EMP
    EMP

Number of posts : 7384
    Supports : Valencia, and in Africa Al-Ahly
    Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by EMP Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:39 pm

Markus wrote:No team wants Lehmann Koeman in the words of Der Kaiser "Lehmann Koeman is a liability" he should be put down.

I believe I patented that one for Koeman Wink
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder

Post by Machiavel Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:44 pm

EMP wrote:
    Markus wrote:No team wants Lehmann Koeman in the words of Der Kaiser "Lehmann Koeman is a liability" he should be put down.

I believe I patented that one for Koeman Wink

Did you, I hope I haven’t violated any copyright laws, utterly confounding !

Number of posts : 4759
    Supports : Italia and Milan
    Registration date : 2007-05-10

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:18 am

Embarassed
    Kroos
    Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
    Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
    Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:43 am

lehmann the nr. 2 behind rensing lol!
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:10 am

Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:

Embarassed
    With his age , fits right in.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:19 am

DS wrote:
    Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:

Embarassed
    With his age , fits right in.

Makes as much (or more) blunders as Dida, so he should fit right in ok
    DeLux
    DeLux

Number of posts : 4399
    Supports : Celta Vigo
    Favourite Player : Mostovoi, Xavi, David Silva, Valerón, Raúl
    Registration date : 2006-08-10

Post by DeLux Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:20 pm

Good to see Lurch rise above it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:22 pm