Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
TheCrazy58
The Pröfessör
Pierre Littbarski
Sgoater1
Allez les rouges
Axeslammer
stinger
fcb
Di Caniooooo!
Cesc Soler
debaser
Glenarch of the Glen
Kimbo
Luis
18 posters

Rate your transfers

Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Rate your transfers Empty Rate your transfers

Post by Luis Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:00 pm

The usual. Give your transfers in and out a grade.

Liverpool:

In:

Joe Cole - Free
    Milan Jovanovic - Free
    Raul Merieles - 11.5 million
    Christian Poulsen - 4.5 million
    Paul Konchesky - 4 million
    Brad Jones - 2 million
    Jonjo Shelvey - 1.5 million
    Danny Wilson - 1 million

Total = 24.5 million

Out:

Javier Mascherano - 19 million
    Alberto Aquilani - Loan
    Albert Riera - free
    Emiliano Insua - Loan
    Diego Cavilieri - 1 million
    Lauri Dalla Valle - free

Total = 20 million

Grade - C +

Joe Cole and Merieles are potentially very good quality signings. Cole's had a tough start to his career but you can see the quality he has on the ball shining through still and I think he will be a very good signing eventually.

Jovanovic has been dissapointing so far and looks like he's more of a Kuyt than a Malouda but it wasn't really Hodgson's signing and for free I'm sure he can be useful in some games this season.

Poulsen and Konchesky for me are poor buys. Poulsen doesn't look much better than Lucas and if Merieles is defensive and we have Lucas as a back up I don't see why we'd need Poulsen as well. We should have got a back up central midfielder who can pass a ball rather than disrupt any passing game we might look to play. Konchesky was largely needless. Insua, Aurellio and Kelly would have been adequate cover for a season and 4-5 million for someone who's average and is nearly 30 doesn't look like great business.

We let Mascherano go in the end which was inevitable yet very frustrating. He is one of the best defensive midfielders in the world and to go for less than 20 million is quite frankly outrageous. Barca have got an absolute steal.

We missed out on getting that vital extra firepower up front and our wings still look extremely uninspiring.

If Merieles can't adjust to the English game or Torres gets injured I can't see us finishing any higher than 6th which is sad to say because I want Roy to do well but all in all it looks like we're budgeting and targeting average players rather than the good quality ones we need to take the club forward and that Torres will stay for.

Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Rate your transfers Empty Re: Rate your transfers

Post by Kimbo Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:09 pm

IN:
    Perch - £1m
    Campbell - Free
    Gosling - Free
    Tiote - £3.5m
    Ben Arfa - £2m loan

Out:
    Butt - free
    Pancrate - free
    Forster - loan

There were 3 first team places that needed addressed(RB, DM, and AM), two of them have been, technically RB has aswell but i don't think Perch is good enough and i doubt Hughton see's him as along term option. We could've done with a back up striker and LB aswell, if Enrique and Carroll get injured we're fucked. On the other hand i never thought we would get someone like Ben Arfa this summer and Tiote looks like a good old meaty African DM, so i'll say B <Ale>
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:15 pm

I rate it as a B. I don't like that we loaned out Aquilani but I do understand why. I think Poulson was a bad/kneejerk signing. Very happy with all other comings and goings. Konchesky was a necessity, I don't see why we should sign a striker who isn't an improvement on Kuyt or Ngog

Konchesky will be better than Insua
    Meireles will be a more positive option than Mascherano
    Cole will be better than Aquilani
    Poulson > Plessis
    Jovanovic > Riera

It's hardly the summer that dreams are made of, but I think only Man City fans can claim to be happy with their spending, and even they'll be disappointed with some of their transfers.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:39 pm

In:
    Ireland (p/ex)

Out:
    Milner (£16m+Ireland)
    Bouma (free)
    Shorey (undisclosed)
    Harewood (free)
    O'Neill (disgrace)
    Of Europe Sad

Grade: E

While the Milner deal was good financially, that doesn't help a lot in the short term. Ireland coming in does soften the blow, but with him as the only addition, the squad looks weak. Although it's understandable we couldn't really make any signings with no manager, I would have thought we could have looked at a couple of loan deals through to January, given that whoever comes in now will have to make do with what we have until then - e.g. look at people like Gudjohnsen and Hleb going on loan to Stoke and Brum respectively. As it stands we made fewer signings than probably any other club in the country.

I was also hoping we could ship out some more of the fringe players like Beye, Davies, Heskey and Sidwell, who eat up big wages without contributing much, but with the lack of incoming, we have to keep them around a while longer - and they may yet have to play significant roles.

By my reckoning, squad now is:

Friedel/Guzan
    L.Young/Beye-Collins/Cuellar-Dunne/Davies/Clark-Warnock/Lichaj
    A.Young/Albrighton-Petrov/ReoCoker-Ireland/Sidwell-Downing/Bannan
    Carew/Heskey-Agbonlahor/Delfouneso

Also Delph and Weimann who have bad injuries.

Compare the options to those to our purported rivals and you can see how weak we are in depth - particularly in CM and full back. The one good thing perhaps is that we seem to have good crop of youngsters and they should now get their chances in the 1st team. If 2 or 3 prove themselves as genuine 1st teamers like Agbonlahor did, that would be great news for the long-term.
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
    Supports : Arsenal FC
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Cesc Soler Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:54 am

IN:
    Marouane Chamakh - Free
    Laurent Koscielny - £10m
    Sebastien Squillaci - £5m
    Wellington Silva - £3.5m

OUT:
    Eduardo - £6m
    William Gallas - Free
    Philippe Senderos - Free
    Mikael Silvestre - Free
    Sol Campbell - Free
    Fran Merida - Free
    Jay Simpson - £1.5m

Still annoyed that Wenger didn't bring in a new goalkeeper and I am tempted to give him an 'F' purely on that basis. However I'll try and be as objective as possible for the sake of this thread. IMO the main objectives from the beginning of the summer should have been:

• Bring in a first choice GK
    • CB to replace Gallas and also bring in an experienced back-up option
    • A new ST, ideally a different player to what we already have like a good Adebayor
    • Retain key players such as Fabregas

Obviously Wenger has not brought in a new goalkeeper for whatever reason (like we will ever find out why) so we carry on from where we left off last season hoping Almunia plays something like he did in 2008/2009 and that Fabianski sees as little minutes as possible. FAIL

The centre-back position was the area where more than one player needed to be brought in. The media have made a big deal about us losing four players, however over the last two years Senderos only played twice in the Carling Cup and Silvestre is no big loss at all. So it was only Gallas and the experienced back-up in Campbell figure that needed to be replaced. Wenger has put his faith in Koscielny as our Gallas replacement, a man who had good reviews in Ligue 1. I've only seen him twice in competitive action and aside from a soft sending off and being admittedly at fault for the goal we conceded at Ewood Park I have seen encouraging signs from him. Squillaci ticks all the boxes for the squad player and having Djourou back will be like a "new signing" (beginning to sound like Wenger here). PASS

Over the years we have suffered with van Persie's injuries and also having other players who are too young and green (Bendtner & Vela) or not suited to the new system change (Eduardo). For parts of last year we had to play Arshavin through the middle which was not ideal so a new striker was almost certainly required. Chamakh fits that role, the right type of player which many said we lacked since Adebayor (when he could be bothered) left and he is also at the right age & experience level. The fact he arrived on a free was yet another bonus. Sadly it was there for all to see that Eduardo was suffering, his confidence was just shot to pieces and I think the best thing was for him to move on. PASS

We've gained a reputation as a selling club over the years and with our debt being significantly reduced we should no longer be in a position to sell players to balance the books (this summer was our biggest net spend since 2001 btw). Gallas left but you could argue that he is approaching the autumn of his career and his injury/attitude record counts against him. Aside from him we kept all our key players. PASS

Our activity this summer: B-
    Di Caniooooo!

Number of posts : 10829
    Supports : West Ham
    Favourite Player : Paolo Di Canio, Moore, Hurst, Peters
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Di Caniooooo! Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:04 am

C. Didn't get a decent striker, lost a LB though possibly got the RB we need.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:06 am

I don't mean to sound like saints, but why do Arsenal fans repeatedly make excuses for Eduardo being sold - "his confidence was gone", "he's not the same after his injury", "I feel bad for him", etc. etc.

Sure, I accept that the injury seriously hampered his ability to adapt, but do you think that Wenger would not give him more time if that was the sole reason for Eduardo being so poor? Look at Rosicky, he's still around.

I think it's because Wenger realised, and many of us see it too, that Eduardo just isn't good enough to be a starter in the Premier League. He didn't exactly set the league on fire when he was fit either.

Edit: and before someone treats my post as some kind of negative jibe about Wenger making crap signings, let me clarify that it's not. Just trying to say that it's ok, bad signings happen, we don't have to try and justify Eduardo possibly not being good enough by pointing out his injury, which as I said played a part, but maybe wasn't the main reason.

Last edited by fcb on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
    stinger

Number of posts : 6477
    Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:04 am

Not really sure how I should rate our summer, but here is what was expected/what I was expecting:

1) Re-sign all top players - almost done: Arteta, Rodwell, Cahill, Baines and Coleman (I know he's not "top yet") all extended their deals. Only player waiting is Pienaar - apparently he wants parity with Arteta, and we are offering him similar money to Jagielka/Baines/Saha, and I agree with the club, although I won't be happy with if we would lose him for free next summer.

2) Don't sell anyone whom Moyes doesn't want to go - done, Arteta, Rodwell, Jagielka, Pienaar are all here,

3) Improve our squad plus get some talented youngsters for the future, and doing it as cheap as possible of course - Mucha and Beckford should be a decent squad players, and Gueye looks like a good player in making.

4) Get rid of Yobo if possible, and bring cheaper 4th CB - we loaned out Yobo to Fenerbahce, which will save us around 2.5m in his wages this season. I believe there is a chance of them buying him next summer for 5m, which would make this a good deal in my eyes. Unfortuntaly we didn't bring a replacement, I was hoping for Senderos, but seeing him injured again, I'm happy we never did. Still - not 100% comfortable with having 3 senior CBs, or Hibbert as a 4th one Laugh

What went wrong:
    1) Dan Gosling - Everton was very naive in thinking that verball agreement is enough these days, so we lost player for free, when we could possibly get 3-4m for him. Money for him is a bigger loss than him as a player in reality, even if healthy he could help us solve our right midfield issues. Even if he wanted to play CM...

2) Not signing a back up LB or 4th CB, although both things can be fixed by free agents market, just like we did with Neil last season.
    We have two promising youngsters for LB in Bidwell and Garbutt coming in, but they need at least 2 more years.

3) It's another transfer session when we showed how broke we are, so it helps to have low expectations. But even with no money I am not happy with Moyes not pursuing Ben Arfa/De Guzman/Eagles, as they were cheap or for free (De Guzman) and one of them could improve our team.

And we are getting Donovan again in 3 months, again for 3 months...
    But I've just been told that it looks like we will lose Pienaar for free during the summer and his contract situation make Yakubu (who's his best friend) unhappy too Doh

Last edited by stinger on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:58 am; edited 2 times in total
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Axeslammer Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:22 am

If Tottenham are smart and are going to play VDV as second striker, then they've easily made the best deal of all EPL teams Ale
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
    Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann

Post by Allez les rouges Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:12 pm

fcb wrote:I don't mean to sound like saints, but why do Arsenal fans repeatedly make excuses for Eduardo being sold - "his confidence was gone", "he's not the same after his injury", "I feel bad for him", etc. etc.

Sure, I accept that the injury seriously hampered his ability to adapt, but do you think that Wenger would not give him more time if that was the sole reason for Eduardo being so poor? Look at Rosicky, he's still around.

I think it's because Wenger realised, and many of us see it too, that Eduardo just isn't good enough to be a starter in the Premier League. He didn't exactly set the league on fire when he was fit either.

Edit: and before someone treats my post as some kind of negative jibe about Wenger making crap signings, let me clarify that it's not. Just trying to say that it's ok, bad signings happen, we don't have to try and justify Eduardo possibly not being good enough by pointing out his injury, which as I said played a part, but maybe wasn't the main reason.

Because, for a period before his injury, there was a time when he'd seemed to have fully adjusted to the team, and it seemed like any scoring chance he'd get he'd put away, one-on-ones in particular. We didn't even miss Robin while he was out. It looked like we had indeed made an excellent signing who could stake a claim for a first-team place even with Adebayor and van Persie available.

He did indeed look like he'd make a proper recovery with his initial comeback and a couple of promising goalscoring cup performances (including the ridiculous heeled-in effort against Burnley), but obviously it didn't last.

His pitiful season last year where he looked completely out of place and out of his depth is in no way to be compared with what he looked like becoming for us for a brief period. It might be, as you say, simply because he's "not good enough", but if your leg is ripped in two let's be thankful for small mercies that he can actually walk again; it always was on the cards that he wouldn't be the same again as a striker. You could be right, but I think it would be honest to point out that you could be wrong, especially with his international record (assuming you wouldn't accept his Croatian scoring record). "Not good enough" is pretty poor generalizing anyway, given the technically limited players who have sometimes flourished in the league and the decent ones who for whatever reason never made it in the PL but very much have elsewhere. Eduardo of all people deserves a chance to resurrect his career.

Rosicky's quality (as opposed to his physical state) was never in question so isn't a legitimate comparison.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:42 pm

I do accept that I could be wrong and he could well have been "good enough", as it's basically a qualitative term that we have no way of definitively measuring. But it was just a suggestion as an alternative possibility to "oh if only he didn't have that injury". As for his Croatian goalscoring record, I don't dismiss it as quickly as Pierre does, but I don't also take it to mean he's a prolific striker, considering the strength of that league.
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
    Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann

Post by Allez les rouges Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:43 pm

Yeah well I admit that the posturing grandstanding of the likes of Pierre and Saints in dismissing players such as this I find as clueless as it is tiresome; I'm not sure it's such a good bandwagon to join. No one's saying he was/would have been a world-class finisher who would have got into any team, but perhaps some sensible middle ground is in order; every Arsenal fan who saw him knows he was an exciting prospect for a while on whom the leg-break clearly had a significant long-term effect. We could point out, for instance, that maybe he's more of a perhaps rather outmoded 4-4-2 kind of player who can neither lead the line in a 4-3-3 or similar, nor really play wide. There's every reason to believe and hope that in another team he could once again be reasonably effective and not as useless as he was last year. But that would be being boringly sensible rather than needlessly polemical.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City

Post by Sgoater1 Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:04 pm

Transfers:

IN: Jérôme Boateng (Hamburger SV - £10.2m) , David Silva (FC Valencia - £25m) , Yaya Touré (FC Barcelona - £24m), Aleksandor Kolarov (Lazio - £16m) Mario Balotelli (Inter - £24m) James Milner (Aston Villa - £16m)

OUT: Martin Petrov (Bolton - free) , Benjani (Unknown - free) , Sylvinho (Unknown - free) , Valeri Bojinov (Parma - £5.4m) , David Ball (Swindon Town - loan), Robbie Mak (Nurnberg - £500k), Garrido (Lazio - £2m) Ned Onuoha (Sunderland - Loan), Craig Bellamy (Cardiff - Loan), Stephen Ireland (Aston Villa - Swap), Vald Weiss (Rangers - Loan), Caicedo (Levante - Loan), Adam Clayton (Leeds - Undisclosed), Robinho (Milan - £22m)

Im glad we bought before we sold or else id have been very worried. Its a shame to see the likes of Bellers and Ireland go as well as Robinho but i think best both for the club and the players.

In terms of the players we have brought in im very happy we have without doubt brought in some real quality to the squad. Of course we have paid over the odds but its impossible for us not to. The main thing is how much they will improve our side not just this season but in the ones to come as they are all decent ages plus a lot of people thought not being in the champs would hold us back but i think we have added some top class players despite this.

Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:13 pm

Boo!
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Deeney looks average, I don't know anything about Rene Gilmartin, Tom Aldred, Josh Walker or the loan signing and I would liked to have got some cash for Loach but we got rid of Scott Severin so its an A+ just for that.
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076

Post by The Pröfessör Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:02 pm

Kimbo wrote:IN:
    Perch - £1m
    Campbell - Free
    Gosling - Free
    Tiote - £3.5m
    Ben Arfa - £2m loan

Out:
    Butt - free
    Pancrate - free
    Forster - loan

You've signed a potential world beater Kimbo. He's the most technically gifted French player around. I'll be watching more Newcastle games this season.
    TheCrazy58
    TheCrazy58

Number of posts : 8151
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by TheCrazy58 Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:07 pm

@ Cesc, you haven't mentioned us keeping Cesc, which is a reasonable PASS IMO.
    shazlx
    shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
    Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
    Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:48 pm

TheCrazy58 wrote:@ Cesc, you haven't mentioned us keeping Cesc, which is a reasonable PASS IMO.
    Cesc Soler wrote:We've gained a reputation as a selling club over the years and with our debt being significantly reduced we should no longer be in a position to sell players to balance the books (this summer was our biggest net spend since 2001 btw). Gallas left but you could argue that he is approaching the autumn of his career and his injury/attitude record counts against him. Aside from him we kept all our key players. PASS
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:01 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:Deeney looks average, I don't know anything about Rene Gilmartin, Tom Aldred, Josh Walker or the loan signing and I would liked to have got some cash for Loach but we got rid of Scott Severin so its an A+ just for that.

Josh Walker is pretty good. Young obviously..a DM. Pretty good in the tackle..actually always thought he was decent on the ball and a decent passer of it too. Scored a couple of alright goals in his time. Was also England captain at some level. Still quite annoyed we've sold him and brought in jocks.

Taylor is also decent at left back. Though ive often wondered about his focus, he started up a business a year or so ago..as if he was already thinking about his life after football. Quite a bright lad for a footballer though, and seems to enjoy playing. Was always decent going forward and pretty good defending, lost it a bit with injuries though. Havent seen that much of him for about a year.

TheCrazy58
    TheCrazy58

Number of posts : 8151

Post by TheCrazy58 Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:07 pm

shazlx wrote:
    TheCrazy58 wrote:@ Cesc, you haven't mentioned us keeping Cesc, which is a reasonable PASS IMO.
    Cesc Soler wrote:We've gained a reputation as a selling club over the years and with our debt being significantly reduced we should no longer be in a position to sell players to balance the books (this summer was our biggest net spend since 2001 btw). Gallas left but you could argue that he is approaching the autumn of his career and his injury/attitude record counts against him. Aside from him we kept all our key players. PASS

oops Embarassed
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:48 pm

borocooper wrote:
    Pierre Littbarski wrote:Deeney looks average, I don't know anything about Rene Gilmartin, Tom Aldred, Josh Walker or the loan signing and I would liked to have got some cash for Loach but we got rid of Scott Severin so its an A+ just for that.

Josh Walker is pretty good. Young obviously..a DM. Pretty good in the tackle..actually always thought he was decent on the ball and a decent passer of it too. Scored a couple of alright goals in his time. Was also England captain at some level. Still quite annoyed we've sold him and brought in jocks.

Taylor is also decent at left back. Though ive often wondered about his focus, he started up a business a year or so ago..as if he was already thinking about his life after football. Quite a bright lad for a footballer though, and seems to enjoy playing. Was always decent going forward and pretty good defending, lost it a bit with injuries though. Havent seen that much of him for about a year.

Cheers for the info - didn't know Walker was a DM - he'll have a tough act to follow in Severin Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

An LB was a major priority and he better not get injured !
    Bashmachkin
    Bashmachkin

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2007-02-09

Post by Bashmachkin Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:19 pm

Like Kimbo, I would give our transfers a B grade overall. I am happy with the window we had; certainly, I think the actions of the board over a number of past windows have inevitably resulted in lower expectations in general, and the board attempted to deflate expectations explicitly at the start of this summer, and I think the squad we possess now is still weaker than the one that started our relegation season a couple of years ago, and our squad isn't quite complete and could have used further strengthening; but we have strengthened in some key areas, and with some fairly exciting players, and in the process I've gone from pessimistic to optimistic regarding the season ahead - in short, I do think we will stay up with the players we now have.

More, I think we may stay up playing some decent football. Hughton has had only two transfer windows to work in, and what resulted from last January was positive - Routledge added another dimension to our play in the Championship and is still capable of providing that in the Premiership with his pace; whereas Williamson was solid last season and has even been one of our best players so far this, surprising me with his reading of the game and his turn of pace. I'm so pleased that we have a manager who seems able to identify accurately and decisively the weaknesses in our team, and who is willing and knowing enough to find players to fill those gaps.

I don't rate any of the three right backs in our squad; Perch appears to me as a waste of money. Otherwise, I think the Campbell and Gosling signings were sensible - Campbell added a fourth centre-back to the first-team squad, and should complement the group well; whereas Gosling initially didn't thrill me, but given the signings we made after his, he should nicely round out the midfield. Ben Arfa is an exciting player and a bigger name than we probably hoped for at the start of the window. We were linked with him for some time and initially I was lukewarm because I don't consider him a sort of Ginola or Robert who can produce something however sullenly even in a vacuum; rather, I felt he was liable to fail for us without further midfield reinforcements. In this respect, after signing Tiote, I can envisage a team with a shape and a purpose that gets the best out of Ben Arfa and some of our other talents.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:35 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:
    borocooper wrote:

Ale

I say DM...he'll almost certainly end up as just your standard box to box player. But as a young un, I think he was put there because he would put his foot in and looked quite composed on the ball.

Cheers for the info - didn't know Walker was a DM - he'll have a tough act to follow in Severin Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

An LB was a major priority and he better not get injured !
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:17 am

BUMP.

Aston Villa.

In: Given, N'Zogbia, Hutton, Jenas (loan), Edna Stevens (arriving Jan)

Out: Friedel, L.Young, Downing, A.Young, Reo-Coker, Carew, Walker (loan end), Makoun, Hogg, Osbourne, Salifou, Pires

Given and Hutton = a few years younger, reasonable replacements for Friedel & L.Young. Would've rather Onuoha than Hutton but fine, whatever.
    Jenas is needed because we became so lacking in CM, but why we let Makoun go & brought him in is unknown, and he ain't really an upgrade on Reo-Coker. Needed a proper DM really. And McLeish was going on about adding creativity in centre midfield...Jenas is not that.
    N'Zogbia replaces one of Young/Downing but certainly not both.

A few injuries and we in deep shit.

Grade E

Ps: god I just looked at page 1 of the thread where I said exactly the same bullshit last summer. Urgh.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:36 am

Out:
    Insua, Ayala, Aquilani, Konchesky, Jovanovic, ElZhar, Kyrgiakos, Ince, Mavinga, Poulsen, Joe Cole, N'Gog, Meireles, Eccleston and Degen

In:
    Adam, Henderson, Downing, Doni, Enrique, Coates, Bellamy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've got rid of all of the deadwood but the loss of Meireles was a shame. I can sort of understand it - he wasn't a Dalglish signing, he had a mixed first season showing real quality at times and having one outstanding purple patch but at other times went missing and shirked his responsibilities. I'm sure Villas-Boas being Portugese might have persuaded him to move along with CL football on offer. All that added to the fact that central midfield is a position we've bulked up on big time over the last few seasons with: Adam, Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Spearing and Shelvey all available to compete means that it's not the end of the world but Meireles does have quality and it could strengthen Chelsea who may be one of our rivals for CL places this season.

Everyone else I'm glad to see the back off. Insua will be a good full back in the future but not a great loss for us. Ngog will probably benefit from a run in the first team of Bolton and on his day he's a good finisher so I wish him the best. To rely on him when Torres was injured was criminal and a sign of how bad things had come under the old regime.

Incoming I'm very happy with who we have brought in. Dalglish, Comolli et al have looked at where the squad needed improvement and have worked swiftly and diligently to improve it. Downing and Henderson were a little over-priced but Downing has so far displayed the width and quality on the ball we've been lacking for some time. Henderson is young, is a good player in possession of the ball and can chip in with a few goals/assists I'm sure.

Adam and Enrique were bargains. Adam may not be an attractive player to some because he's Scottish but £7 million for one of the best left footed players in the league along with one of the best set-piece takers in the league is a great deal. Enrique was a perfect signing for what we needed - a solid full back who's also good on the ball and fits into our pass and move style that Kenny has so far tried to enforce.

I don't know much about Coates other than he has great potential.

Bellamy will always give you passion, still has a lot of pace to his game and on his day can be a handful for any defence - bringing him in for Ngog was a very clever, cost-effective and versatile signing by us.

Overall: B+
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:02 am

IN: Aguero, Nasri, Savic, Clichy, Hargreaves, Pantilimon

OUT: Given, Boateng, Wright-Phillips, Bellamy, Vieira (Retired), Caicedo

Loans Out - Adebayor, Santa Cruz, Weiss, Guidetti, Boyata, Mee, Trippier, Ibrahim, McGivern, Johnson.

Im very happy with our deals, we've added real quality in all areas and now have two players for every position of top qaulity. We've been able to move some players on and cut the wage bill and i think the squad looks well balanced.
    Pras_tama
    Pras_tama

Number of posts : 2101
    Supports : Manchester United & Indonesia NT
    Favourite Player : Scholes
    Registration date : 2008-11-28

Post by Pras_tama Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:34 am

IN: Young, Jones, De Gea
    OUT: Hargreaves

Those 3 players are enough to give us our 20th English crown but won't get us closer to Barcelona yet

Overall: B-
    stinger

Number of posts : 6477
    Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:42 am

Not sure what is the worst grade you cant get/give, but it would fit well for Everton "wheeling and dealing". Terrible summer. I could accept selling Arteta for 10m pounds, but why agreeing to do it when you can't re-invest this money Doh Selling Beckford looks silly as well, as we have only Saha as a striker and with his injury record... Depressing stuff.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:14 pm

Probably a B-. I'm happy with the players we've brought in, but there is no excuse for not bringing in another striker, we have had the money and all summer to do it. Infact we have had since February to do it. We seemed to waste our time chasing that Melvut Erding, who is determined to stay at PSG, AND isn't even supposed to be very good. We could also have done with a back up player or two, but i don't worry too much about that as i want to see the children(Kadar, Sammy, Vuckic, Ferguson) given more of a go.

Also, Bryan Ruiz is a mong. Ale
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:01 pm

Pras_tama wrote:IN: Young, Jones, De Gea
    OUT: Hargreaves

Those 3 players are enough to give us our 20th English crown
    but won't get us closer to Barcelona yet