Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
BoBo Vieri 32
Isco Benny
FootballFarrago
7 posters

5 Observations from last night's friendly

FootballFarrago
    FootballFarrago

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2011-03-15

5 Observations from last night's friendly Empty 5 Observations from last night's friendly

Post by FootballFarrago Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:14 pm

What the title says:

http://www.footballfarrago.com/2011/03/now-news-5-observations-from-england-v.html
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

5 Observations from last night's friendly Empty Re: 5 Observations from last night's friendly

Post by Isco Benny Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:22 pm

Agree with all 5 observations. Good call on Townsend's subliminal racism Laugh

Glad you highlighted Baines' contribution. So much sloppy journalism in the papers today - "he's no Ashley Cole" is all one observer noted whn giving him a 5/10 for his performance. What?!! Baines was excellent, and offers better crossing than Cole, if less of an engine and a bit more suspect defensively.

Oh, and Lescott is terrible. Like Wes Brown - should never be let near another England squad again.

Terry, Rio, Dawson, Phil Jones, R. Johnson, King (when fit), Cahill are all better than Lescott. There should never be any need to play an 8th choice centre back unless an epidemic has wiped out the other 7.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

5 Observations from last night's friendly Empty Re: 5 Observations from last night's friendly

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:07 pm

It's funny that you agree with the first one Bernd, because I always imagined that you'd be exactly like Andy Townsend in real life.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:36 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:It's funny that you agree with the first one Bernd, because I always imagined that you'd be exactly like Andy Townsend in real life.

I know, you've mentioned this on a number of occassions. I don't know what you want me to say - congratulations?

Although if you're so insistent on continuing to mention this, by all means feel free to explain yourself. I'll happily shoot you down with reasoned arguments as to why I have nothing in common with Andy Townsend physically, mentally and ethnically Ale
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
    Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:56 pm

Indeed, as if TRWP could dream of matching the perfect physical specimen that is Andy Townsend.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:34 pm

Reasonable observations, though for point 5 I think they mean successors rather than predecessors..

On that point, Lescott is not great but I'm not actually over-convinced by Jagielka in England shirt either. Can't see him ever being first choice. Nor Dawson. Cahill will probably step up to 3rd choice behind Terry/Ferdinand before long and I think we'll see Capello trying Smalling soon too (has already been in squad). Not sure he's ready, but he has some good attributes. Richards, Kelly, P.Jones are other options if/when they become full-time CBs.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:37 pm

debaser wrote:Reasonable observations, though for point 5 I think they mean successors rather than predecessors..

On that point, Lescott is not great but I'm not actually over-convinced by Jagielka in England shirt either. Can't see him ever being first choice. Nor Dawson. Cahill will probably step up to 3rd choice behind Terry/Ferdinand before long and I think we'll see Capello trying Smalling soon too (has already been in squad). Not sure he's ready, but he has some good attributes. Richards, Kelly, P.Jones are other options if/when they become full-time CBs.

IMO, Jagielka is good at centre back - but very average as a full back. Got shown up in the second half when he moved across to that position. Never going to be a first choice, but certainly better than Joleen

Forgot about Jags, Smalling and Richards - another 3 who should be higher up the pecking order than Lescorr. He has the turning circle of the Titanic. Gyan humiliated him last night on a number of occassions

christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by christmasborocooper Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:14 pm

There will be a campaign to get Smalling in the set up before long.
    FootballFarrago
    FootballFarrago

Post by FootballFarrago Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Noah and the Bale wrote:Agree with all 5 observations. Good call on Townsend's subliminal racism Laugh

Glad you highlighted Baines' contribution. So much sloppy journalism in the papers today - "he's no Ashley Cole" is all one observer noted whn giving him a 5/10 for his performance. What?!! Baines was excellent, and offers better crossing than Cole, if less of an engine and a bit more suspect defensively.

Oh, and Lescott is terrible. Like Wes Brown - should never be let near another England squad again.

Terry, Rio, Dawson, Phil Jones, R. Johnson, King (when fit), Cahill are all better than Lescott. There should never be any need to play an 8th choice centre back unless an epidemic has wiped out the other 7.

Who gave him 5/10? What game were they watching? He deserved a 6 at least for the delightful piece of skill in the first half when he turned away from one player then skinned another. I'd say 8/10, would've been a 9 if he'd provided an assist - he's had so many for Everton because of his awesome crossing but didn't quite manage one last night. Against weaker teams I'd play him, offers so much more threat than Cole.

Forget King, he's a liability as he showed in the WC. Jones is too young, but Smalling will get a chance soon I reckon.

When will Muamba get a chance in def mid by the way? Been good every time he's played for the u-21s and has a lot of Prem experience.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:17 pm

Baines always looks a bit worrying to me when he's forced to go onto his right foot. That tackle was pretty dodgy too - another ref in a non-friendly would at least book him there. No doubting he has excellent delivery and provides threat going forward. Deservedly 2nd choice LB currently, but I do wonder if Gibbs will have bypassed him by the time A.Cole finishes.

Muamba, ya never know. Probably not too far outside the squad and I reckon he'd be a useful team player, even if he's not exactly the most exciting prospect. Barry/Parker are looking like current DM options and with both being 30+, there's going to be good opportunity in next few years for younger ones coming through - but it's not been a position England's blessed with options really. If we're mentioning Muamba, I could also say Reo-Coker, who has been one of Villa's most consistent performers this season. He is limited, but can do a good job there and also has plenty experience while being at a good age. I know he is not a fashionable name Smile
    FootballFarrago
    FootballFarrago

Post by FootballFarrago Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:28 pm

Yeah it was a dodgy tackle, a bit unnecessary, but at least it highlighted his determination to fight for every ball, something the left out players wouldn't have done.

I can't say I agree re. Reo-Coker, he's OK but we've got better options.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:37 pm

debaser wrote:Baines always looks a bit worrying to me when he's forced to go onto his right foot. That tackle was pretty dodgy too - another ref in a non-friendly would at least book him there. No doubting he has excellent delivery and provides threat going forward. Deservedly 2nd choice LB currently, but I do wonder if Gibbs will have bypassed him by the time A.Cole finishes.

Muamba, ya never know. Probably not too far outside the squad and I reckon he'd be a useful team player, even if he's not exactly the most exciting prospect. Barry/Parker are looking like current DM options and with both being 30+, there's going to be good opportunity in next few years for younger ones coming through - but it's not been a position England's blessed with options really. If we're mentioning Muamba, I could also say Reo-Coker, who has been one of Villa's most consistent performers this season. He is limited, but can do a good job there and also has plenty experience while being at a good age. I know he is not a fashionable name Smile

He was before Villa ruined him. <Ale>

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:35 am