Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Transfer heat builds up for Roeder

Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Transfer heat builds up for Roeder Empty Transfer heat builds up for Roeder

Post by Machiavel Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:54 pm

Shay Given has warned Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder failure to make the UEFA Cup proper could cost him the quality the Magpies desperately need.Newcastle take on FK Ventspils in Latvia on Thursday night and keeper Given admits another European flop could scare off potential star buys.

Time is running out for Roeder to land a number of big-name targets before the Premiership season kicks off with a home game against Wigan in 10 days' time.

The Magpies have been linked with Feyenoord striker Dirk Kuyt and Real Madrid midfielder Thomas Gravesen, among others.

Given said: "Top players want to play in Europe. We know we need to build the squad with new players, so hopefully if we get into the UEFA Cup proper then new players will want to come."

With last year's Intertoto Cup exit against Deportivo La Coruna still fresh in their minds, the Magpies will take nothing for granted in Thursday's second qualifying round first leg.

Ventspils sit proudly on top of the Latvian league and having played 17 domestic games this season, they will be ready for Roeder's men in a match switched to Riga's Skonto Stadium due to capacity concerns.

Roeder has admitted his squad needs strengthening and will make that an urgent priority upon arrival back in the north-east immediately following Thursday night's game.

"We are making progress and if I get in the players I have in mind over the next two weeks or by the end of August, I will be happy to go into the season with that squad," Roeder told Newcastle's official website.

Roeder is still waiting for Ashley Cole's projected move to Chelsea before pouncing for Stamford Bridge full-back Wayne Bridge. And Inter Milan's Obafemi Martins has emerged as another potential target.

Roeder watched the £10million-rated Kuyt in the Amsterdam tournament on Sunday and said: "I have no reason to remove him from my list. He played well and I didn't see any reason why we should not go and watch him again."

Bridge would be a welcome addition to a defence which has shipped three goals in each of the Magpies' last two pre-season games, something Roeder insists must be stopped in Riga.

Roeder added: "The mistakes that have been made in those two games can be ironed out as they are mistakes lads of this quality should not be making.

"Maybe with them being friendlies we were a little too relaxed when defending, and we left Shay exposed. But we have got those games out of the way now and hopefully those mistakes will be eradicated."

Roeder looks certain to hand new £5million man Damien Duff his Magpies debut while Nicky Butt is also pushing for a surprise recall after his double strike in the weekend draw with Villarreal.

With no other new injury concerns, Roeder's chief decision is whether to include wantaway pair Jean Alain Boumsong and Albert Luque - knowing inclusion could make them ineligible in Europe for future employers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary (Targets)

IN(?):

- Dirk Kuyt (Feyenoord)
    - Thomas Gravesen (Real Madrid)
    - Wayne Bridge (Chelsea)
    - Obafemi Martins? (Internazionale)

Out

- Jean Alain Boumsong
    - Albert Luque?

So who will Newcastle Sign, and who will leave?
    Luis

Transfer heat builds up for Roeder Empty Re: Transfer heat builds up for Roeder

Post by Luis Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:55 pm

Of kuyt leaves Feyernoord, it looks certain it will be a move to Liverpool.

To be honest if he did go to Newcastle i wouldn't be gutted.
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Roger Hunt Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:01 pm

I'd be a bit narked. I'd have liked us to sign Duff (especially for £5m) and it would niggle if the barcodes nicked another target striker of ours after throwing silly money at getting Owen. Sad
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:37 pm

IN

Dirk Kuyt - I'm still not convinced he's going to move, the only question for me is 'Are Newcastle prepared to pay the fee?'. I honestly think it's become obvious Liverpool aren't prepared to pay it, so if we stump up what they are demanding then we'll get him. If we've got the money then he would be the perfect signing. Exclamation

Graveson - I fookin hope not, we don't need anymore midfielders... especially mentalists like him. If he came i could see a power struggle between him and Scott Parker emerging, resulting in Dyer/Bowyer mark 2.... but this time it would be of epic proportions. Evil or Very Mad

Wayne Bridge - IF Chelsea buy another left back, which i'm not sure they will, then like Kuyt he would fit the bill perfectly. The downside is we would end up looking like a Chelsea B side.

Obafemi Martins - As talented as he is i can't see why we would be interested, we already got plently of pace - infact we've got one of the fastest squads in the league. What we need is a target man to hold the ball up for the likes of Duff, N'Zogbia, Milner, and Dyer. scratch

I reckon we'll end up signing one of Bridge and De Cler and one of Martins and Kuyt - If you pushed me i'd probably say Kuyt as it would make more sense. I'm trying not to think about signing Graveson.

OUT

I can't see us selling anymore players this summer, maybe Boumsong but i wouldn't bet on it. I can't see us selling Luque what with out current striker problem, that'll have to wait until next year. We've already lost Bowyer, Chopra, Elliot, Faye(for £2m, kerching) and ofcourse Shearer. That'll probably be enough for one summer. [/u]
    Sexy Boy

Number of posts : 21
    Supports : Spurs & Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by Sexy Boy Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:01 pm

@ Kimbo

you could do a lot worse than look like a Chelsea B-side, I'd settle for that right now if I were in your shoes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:26 pm