Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
COTR
Tweesus
6 posters

Liverpool Takeover Thread

Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Liverpool Takeover Thread Empty Liverpool Takeover Thread

Post by Tweesus Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:18 pm

Mark Lawrenson seems to think that Benitez will have a load of money to spend in January...

Anyway questions...

a) When is the takeover likely to take place?
    b) How much money for tranfers will be made available do you think?
    c) Where needs strengthening?
    d) Who would you buy?
    e) Is the investment bad for Liverpool?
    f) Is the investment bad for football?
    Luis

Liverpool Takeover Thread Empty Re: Liverpool Takeover Thread

Post by Luis Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:21 pm

a) not sure, i think after January
    b) again not sure, i think well be able to give teams a run for their money when it comes to buying players
    c) Right back, defensive mid and possiblly up front?
    d) not sure
    e) nope
    f) i wouldnt think so
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:25 pm

a) Don't have a clue but would make sense to be before January

b) I'm guessing around £15m to start with, maybe all for one player

c) Right back, centre back maybe and a creative attacking player

d) Woild make sense for it to be someone not playing in Europe, which of course limits it.

e) No, although some fans will obviously be against it as the money is not coming from England

f) Diffucult one, probably not on its own but already we have Man Utd, Aston Villa, West Ham, Chelsea, Pompey all with large sums of money invested, now we have Liverpool and soon we'll have Man City.

Its obviosuly happened before but not all at once like this and not the amounts of money we are seeing
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:39 pm

Around Christmas time, isn't it? But the funds aren't going to be there before next summer so it won't matter in January.

b) How much money for tranfers will be made available do you think?

No idea. I've read loads of articles but only one estimation has been made and that was around the £50million mark from what I remember.

I don't think there's a set transfer kitty. Hopefully it'll just be enough to compete when top players become available and we be turning to second choice targets every time a player costs over £10million.

Right back for sure. Then either in central midfield or the rightwing, depending on where Gerrard is going to be played the majority of the time.

We could use a world class striker in the summer aswell for Kuyt to partner. David Villa

d) Who would you buy?

[championship manager mode]

Lucas Neill in January to give us a back up rightback for the rest of the season. If we could get him on loan that would be great but if we couldn't we could always use him as 3rd/4th choice centreback next season and send Paletta out on loan to a premiership/la liga club - or if we get rid of Hyypia.

In January aswell I'd like us to sign either a back-up for Momo or Simao - again, depending on where Gerrard is going to play. I think it would be nice to get them now rather than relying on them adapting immediately in the summer. Look at what 6 months have done for Vidic and Evra, for example.

Daniel Alves in the summer, regardless of the fact that he's signed a new deal. For the right offer he'd still leave and Sevilla would still sell and everyone knows it. I can't think of a better crosser of the ball in Europe at the moment. He whips the ball in at a good height and with such pace - we don't have a single player that does that at the moment.

And of course; David Villa. We need a striker that:

Runs in behind defences.
    Scores loads of goals, from tap ins to 20 yarders.
    Can set up goals.
    Can beat a man in a 1-v-1 situation.
    Can produce a moment of magic in a dour game.

etc.

There are very few strikers like that but he and Kuyt would be a fantastic partnership given time. [/championship manager mode]

Who knows? From what I've read this bloke is ultra competitive and wants the club to be number one on the pitch in the hope that we become number one as a brand. So yeah, I think it'll be good.

You're not going to see the 2nd most powerful bloke in the UAE at every game in the directors box. Nor are you going to see him quibbling because Rafa isn't playing his mate.

The likelyhood at the moment seems to be that Parry and Moores will continue with the everyday running of the club. The Sheik will be very much in the background. Although of course, being competitive, he's not going to accept it if we continue to disappoint on and off the pitch.

Chelsea style investment is. If you're poaching staff from otherclubs, hiring the most arrogant manager - regardless of how talented - and the most arrogant chief executive then you're not going to be liked then you're not going to win many friends.

Running a buisiness at a loss and then making out that you're amongst the best in the world and acting like spoilt brats is terrible for the game.

But making a club more competitive, running it properly and acting with a bit of dignity - like Villa have done, for example - is a good thing. It makes the league more competitive.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:53 pm

Yep, pretty much agree.

When I wrote my very brief version I almost mentioned O'neill as the right back for the time being but then I wasn't sure how willing Blackburn would be to sell.

Is Benitez still interested in Alvez? and would you just slip him in a right wing role or would you put him in as a full back effectively with a free role?

My personal opinion on the investment side is that its good as it'll make the EPL more competitive and better to watch, which is obviously good, although on the bad side, teams that are trying to get success through tight pursestrings and shrewd management (Bolton, Charlton) may bein to fall away
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:01 pm

Well, we haven't actually heard about Alves since it went tits up - atleast not from Benitez. But when he's saying stuff about being "priced out of his first choice targets", y'know who he's talking about.

I reckon Alves would be a rightback, especially at home. Maybe a wingback away from home? He and Aurelio would have been fantastic in a 5-3-2 formation for us. I think it would really suit their style of play and their lack of aerial ability wouldn't be so exposed.

Lucas Neill is out of contract in the summer. I reckon/hope we'll offer them a swap for Warnock in January and that'll be that.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:10 pm

Aye, then also theres the major plus of having a bigger stadium although if I was Liverpool now then I'd resubmit the application with a capacity of 70,000 - an increase in 15,000 won't make a huge difference to revenue IMO and now you have the investment guaranteed I don't think there would be such a problem.

5-3-2 would IMO be a nice formation, I've always admired it for its dynamism - although if you went for this you'd need a serious investment in the CB department.

Also are you sure Aurelio is a good enough wing back?
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:15 pm

Tinseldum wrote:Aye, then also theres the major plus of having a bigger stadium although if I was Liverpool now then I'd resubmit the application with a capacity of 70,000 - an increase in 15,000 won't make a huge difference to revenue IMO and now you have the investment guaranteed I don't think there would be such a problem.

You know I have a major gripe with the stadium tweeds. Y'know what's even worse? If what I've been reading is true there's not much further room for expansion. So if in 20 odd years, 60,000 isn't enough to compete with United and Chelsea - and with the way United seem to be able to pluck 2,000 seats from nowhere, it may not be - we're going to have to relocate again.

I don't like the design or anything either, but it's there and we're going to have to deal with it IMHO.

5-3-2 would IMO be a nice formation, I've always admired it for its dynamism - although if you went for this you'd need a serious investment in the CB department.

Aye, I think it's a nice formation if you have the athleticism in the fullbacks. I don't think we need a serious investment at the back for it either. It's part of the reason I think that Lucas Neill in January and then one of Hyypia or Paletta (on loan) leaving in the summer would be a good idea. Neill was terrific in a 3 at the back for Australia this summer and his vesitility would be great there. As would Carraghers.

Also are you sure Aurelio is a good enough wing back?

Yes. Easily. Alves and Aurelio would be amazing wingbacks in any league. Especially with their added goalthreat/crossing.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:25 pm

To be honest though once you have an agreement in principle on a development then to increase the capacity of the development normally only takes a little negotiation. I'm imagining that the main complaints will be on transport grounds but usually this issue can be negated through an agreement in which the club would provide a financial contribution to the improvement of the existing transport or even the provision of a new one (or investment towards part of it) - for example if I worked for the club I'd be lobbying for the establishment of a city-wide tram network as has recently happened in Sheffield and Manchester and is soon to happen in Leeds.

Aurelio I am still not completey convinced by to be honest, he has been one of your better signings but I still don't see him as a top class player in the way that I see Alves
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:28 pm

What do we realistically need to take the step up to the very top?

GK- totally sorted here

Cb's- Neill, carra, agger (one of paletta, antwi, hobbs will surely make it)

left back- (will be hard to find many that have a dramatic improvement over riise and auerlio)

RB- problem position- Big money on Alves plz, (maybe richards as back up Wink )

Centre mid- I still see gerrard as a right winger in our strongest selection so one more dynamic defensive midfielder is needed)

Right wing - Someone to provide a different option to gerrard and play higher up the wing. pennant out. garcia the squad depth option

Left wing- In ideal world we are fine but as kewell is never fit this will maybe have to be looked at at the end of season if gonzalez has still not adapted

Striker- Only need one but he has to be world class. kuyt, crouch and bellamy can all provide dynamic alternatives.

So a world class right back, One world class midfield signing and one world class striker and we are more or less sorted. Wink If only we had secured the signatures of simao and alves when we had the chance. have probably repeated at lot of what you have said but it is all kind of obvious
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:37 pm

I wouldn't want Pennant to go after this season - unless he shows absolutely NO signs of improvement. But to be fair to the lad, he's already set up 6 goals this year and has been shit.

Anything more than 4 signings is overkill to be honest. Atleast, that's the way I see it. I don't want Chelsea spending - £50million odd is an awful lot but Newcastle have spent similar in a season.

The main thing is, that Neill aside, we add top draw quality. A player that's amongst the best in his position. 2-3 players of quality and alot of consistency would do me fine.

If Gerrard's going to play as a rightwinger, great, sign another defensive midfielder. If Gerrard's going to work as part of a midfield partnership, again, that's great, we can bring in another attacking midfielder on the right. Preferably one that can guarentee goals alá Simao.

GK - Sorted completely. Give Reina a new long term deal and bring back Carson; everything is rosy.

Rightback - We need to sign a more attacking rightback. It's obvious who we all want.

Leftback - Sorted. Atleast, once Warnock cunts off it will be.

Centreback - Carragher and Agger are fine and Paletta is promising. We need one more there, preferably not first choice. Someone like Lucas Neill would do me fine, especially as he's very versitile. Then either Hyypia or Paletta as 4th choice. Hobbs has been playing alot in midfield anyways (new Hamman). I hope he or Antwi goes out on loan and the other stays as 5th choice. Antwi is a monster though; physically he has everything needed to make it. Hobbs I'm less convinced of, but I think he's the more intelligent of the 2.

Midfield - just one player needed really. Either a back-up for Sissoko if Gerrard's going to be a rightsided midfielder or a first choice rightwinger if Gerrard's going to play in the centre.

Striker - That's obvious. We need a 21 year old Robbie or an 18 year old Michael Owen.

Edit: A word for Miki Roque aswell. I can see him getting a few more first team games next year and eventually replacing Zenden as the 4th choice midfielder - if Gerrard stays in the centre - over the course of the next year or so.
    Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Batman Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:43 pm

How about.........

RB - Alves/Nélson

DM - Tymoschuk

CM - Borowski

LM - Carvalho

RM/LM/AMC/ - Simão, better than Garcia IMO

ST - Klose
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:52 pm

Batman wrote:How about.........
    RB - Alves/Nélson

I'd have to see more of Nélson. I don't think he's as good defensively as Alves though.

DM - Tymoschuk

Definitely, if Gerrard was staying out wide.

CM - Borowski

Don't think we need that style of midfielder. If Gerrard plays out wide then it's because Benitez wants two solid players in the centre and Borowski is more in the Gerrard/Ballack mould. If Gerrard plays in the centre Borowski won't get a game.

LM - Carvalho

More than content with Kewell and Gonzalez.

RM/LM/AMC/ - Simão, better than Garcia IMO

Wash your mouth out.

ST - Klose

Not the pace I would like. Good player, but no. I actually think, with hindsight, that he would have been the ideal partner for Baros while he was here.
    Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Batman Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:17 pm

if Sevilla finish in the top 4 in La Liga then Alves price will go up 2 or 3 million more.

i think Nélson's defending would improve at Liverpool the same way Evra's defending as improved at Man Utd.

i think Borowski is left footed and can play DM, he would add power to your midfield.

i think Kuyt and Klose would be really good.

could play

- - - - - - - - Reina - - - - - - - -

Nélson - Carragher - Agger - Riise

- - - - - - - - Alonso - - - - - - - -
    - - Gerrard - - - - - - Borowski - -
    - - - - - - - - Simão - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - Klose - - Kuyt - - - - - -
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:27 pm

That's not bad but it's asking alot to think that both Benfica and Bremen would sell 2 of their main assets to us.

- - - - - - - - - Reina
    Alves - Carragher - Agger - Riise
    - - - - - - - Xabi Alonso
    - - - Simao - Gerrard - Kewell
    - - - - - Kuyt - David Villa

With the option of...

- - - - - - - - Reina
    - - - Neill - Carragher - Agger
    Alves - Sissoko - Alonso - Aurelio
    - - - - - - - - Gerrard
    - - - - - Crouch - David Villa

Championship manager stuff...
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Number of posts : 7180
    Registration date : 2006-08-10

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:03 pm

Snowbispo wrote:That's not bad but it's asking alot to think that both Benfica and Bremen would sell 2 of their main assets to us.

Whereas Sevilla and Valencia would?

I don't think you will get Villa, he will only be leaving for Real Madrid or Chelsea..

As for Alves, who knows? One thing is for sure and that is most top clubs in Europe would probably be in for him..
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:05 pm

Oleguerisntthatbad wrote:
    Snowbispo wrote:That's not bad but it's asking alot to think that both Benfica and Bremen would sell 2 of their main assets to us.

I don't think you will get Villa, he will only be leaving for Real Madrid or Chelsea..

As for Alves, who knows? One thing is for sure and that is most top clubs in Europe would probably be in for him..

Doh I didn´t realise that you meant two from EACH club..
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:05 pm

Maybe, maybe not. It's far more likely that a club would sell us one of their key players instead of 2 though, isn't it?

Post by Guest Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:11 pm

@ Obi - We're not getting Villa. Valencia will never sell.

Christmas is what I'm hearing.

b) How much money for transfers will be made available do you think?
    A lot. Even if the investor’s money isn't in the club by January, we can be assured it will be eventually… so theoretically we can spend quite a bit now.

Right back, striker, central midfielder, Right winger

d) Who would you buy?
    Realistically I think Dani Alves, Lucho Gonzalez, Van der Vaart, Huntelaar would all be reasonably good signings, and they should be available for the right amount of money

Fuck no. Without it we wouldn't have the cash for a new stadium, and we would continue to linger behind Man u and Chelsea in the league

Money is, and has always been bad for football, but now money is so hugely involved, this take over shouldn't make much of a difference to ‘football’

Post by Guest Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:14 pm

Crouching Turkey wrote:@ Obi - We're not getting Villa. Valencia will never sell.

Christmas is what I'm hearing.

b) How much money for transfers will be made available do you think?
    A lot. Even if the investor’s money isn't in the club by January, we can be assured it will be eventually… so theoretically we can spend quite a bit now.

Right back, striker, central midfielder, Right winger

d) Who would you buy?
    Realistically I think Dani Alves, Lucho Gonzalez, Van der Vaart, Huntelaar would all be reasonably good signings, and they should be available for the right amount of money

Fuck no. Without it we wouldn't have the cash for a new stadium, and we would continue to linger behind Man u and Chelsea in the league

Money is, and has always been bad for football, but now money is so hugely involved, this take over shouldn't make much of a difference to ‘football’

-----------------------------Reina----------------------------

--Alves-------------Carra-----------Agger----------Riise--

-----------------Alonso-------------------Lucho-------------

----------Gerrard-------------------------------VDV--------

---------------------------Kuyt---Huntelaar-----------------
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:14 pm

Crouching Turkey wrote:@ Obi - We're not getting Villa. Valencia will never sell.

Ballague reckons he's off and if Chelsea are going to do their usual "buy anyone good who's available" thing then we might aswell give it a go.

What's the worst that could happen? We could get turned down.

We could always sign Martins... But why waste the money when FSP and Bellamy are better.
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:17 pm

Snowbispo wrote:

Ballague reckons he's off and if Chelsea are going to do their usual "buy anyone good who's available" thing then we might aswell give it a go.

We could always sign Martins... But why waste the money when FSP and Bellamy are better.

Sorry to say this but Ballague knows fuck all about football.. he just regurgitates the different sports papers down here.
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:18 pm

Snowbispo wrote:

Sorry to say this but Ballague knows fuck all about football.. he just regurgitates the different sports papers down here.

Maybe. But I like Ballague so I won't have a go at him Smile You're just upset that he supports the real team in Barca.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:19 pm

You didn't believe Ballague when he said Torres would sign for us. Wink
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:20 pm

ParktheHeraldAngelsSing wrote:You didn't believe Ballague when he said Torres would sign for us. Wink
    and he has been proven correct so far Wink

Last edited by on Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:20 pm

ParktheHeraldAngelsSing wrote:You didn't believe Ballague when he said Torres would sign for us. Wink

Aye. I thought he'd go to Milan. Atletico and AC are up each others arses.

Hope he goes to United though... We'll take Saha.
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:21 pm

Snowbispo wrote:

Maybe. But I like Ballague so I won't have a go at him Smile You're just upset that he supports the real team in Barca.

It's "Barna" when you talk about the city and not the football club..

I know he supports the Pericos but he really hasn't got any special insight or anything.. He just reads the papers and then present them as his own little theories..

Last edited by on Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:22 pm

Rafa the Grinch wrote:

Proving mine and Ole's point that Ballague talks shit.

He said every week Torres was moving to United 100%.
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:22 pm

Snowbispo wrote:

It's "Barna" when you talk about the city and the football club..

I know he supports the Pericos but he really hasn't got any special insight or anything.. He just reads the papers and then present them as his own little theories..

I'll have to take your word for it, seen as I don't read the spanish press. I like Ballague though... and he wrote Season on the brink, which makes him a legend.

Oh, and he pointed out that Anfield > Nou Camp.
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:23 pm

ParktheHeraldAngelsSing wrote:
    Rafa the Grinch wrote:

Proving mine and Ole's point that Ballague talks shit.

He said every week Torres was moving to United 100%.

He's been saying that he's moving to you for ages though, even after he signed a new contract.

You're just upset that you're stuck with the diving faggot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:37 am