Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Pires back to Arsenal?

A & K

Number of posts : 3347
    Registration date : 2006-08-12

Pires back to Arsenal? Empty Pires back to Arsenal?

Post by A & K Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:06 am

The Villarreal player is keen on a return to the North London club where he enjoyed such great success during a trophy-laden six years.

Pires left Arsenal to join The Yellow Submarines on a two-year deal last summer.

Injuries have scuppered Pires's hopes of hitting the ground running in Spain, and the 33-year-old is desperate to make a success of his career on the continent.

But the former France international has still been keeping one eye on his old club.

Pires told TF1: "After my two years here (Villarreal), I would love to play one last season for Arsenal."

And Pires quipped: "Arsene, boss, have you got the message

Well, well. Why did he leave? Maybe he wanted some special favors from Wenger, such as having a two year extension deal rather than one.
    How old will he be in two years time anyway? 35?
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Pires back to Arsenal? Empty Re: Pires back to Arsenal?

Post by Sheffield gunner Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:59 am

I posted this on the Arsenal thread. I wasn't sure how serious he was in making this suggestion. It sounds like he was joking a bit to me. Afterall, he will be 35 at that point and is suffering from a serious injury at a late stage in his career. Wenger is hardly reknown for signing players in the twilight of their career either. I suppose it's good to see Pires still holding the club in such high regard and still having such affection for Arsenal but I don't seriously expect him to ever play for us again.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:22 pm

Wasn't this story made on that day in Spain where people just make up stories?

After all he would be 37 and there's no way he'd make it in the squad.

He may one day return as a coach though, although not sure how good a coach he'd be. pretty poor i suspect.
    Cesc

Post by Cesc Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:27 pm

Pires seems like the sort that would go to work for the media rather than go back into football.

He could be the French Jamie Redknapp. Wink

If he was to go back into football after his playing career was over I think he would probably become a scout as opposed to being a coach, like Gilles Grimandi.
    TheCrazy58
    TheCrazy58

Number of posts : 8151
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by TheCrazy58 Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:17 pm

Cesc wrote:

He could be the French Jamie Redknapp. Wink

Unfair on Pires. Sad He can't possibly talk bilge like Redknapp does. He did say in his autobiography that he didn't think managing was his sort of thing but quite liked the idea of coaching youngsters. If I remember correctly he also seemed to think he might like to try acting. He's 'written' columns for English papers and I think he had his own radio show so some sort of a media career may be on the cards.
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076

Post by The Pröfessör Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:48 pm

I still love Bobby. Most clinical winger i have seen in the EPL.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:09 am