Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
Kimbo
Deluded F*ck™
christmasborocooper
stinger
BoBo Vieri 32
Isco Benny
Romford Pele
Luis
Fey
Hlebagone
Fade out
Jason Jarrett
EMP
bluenine
Jaime
19 posters

Roberto Mancini

Poll

Is there a worse manager in Europe than Mancini?

[ 6 ]
    Roberto Mancini Bar_left50%Roberto Mancini Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Roberto Mancini Bar_left25%Roberto Mancini Bar_right [25%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Roberto Mancini Bar_left25%Roberto Mancini Bar_right [25%] 

Total Votes: 12
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Roberto Mancini Empty Roberto Mancini

Post by Jaime Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:28 am

Is there?

Discuss.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti

Roberto Mancini Empty Re: Roberto Mancini

Post by bluenine Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:30 am

Wenger?

Razz
    Jaime
    Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:31 am

At least Wenger has the excuse of always having to sell his best players.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:34 am

Jaime wrote:At least Wenger has the excuse of always having to sell his best players.

That hasn't stopped Porto, has it? And if you think about it, before Henry left Arsenal were not really a selling club and Wenger had countless attempts Razz

Basically, this argument is flawed.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Post by Jaime Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:39 am

bluenine wrote:
    Jaime wrote:At least Wenger has the excuse of always having to sell his best players.

That hasn't stopped Porto, has it? And if you think about it, before Henry left Arsenal were not really a selling club and Wenger had countless attempts Razz

Basically, this argument is flawed.

Arsenal have been a selling club since Anelka. Even if they won't admit it.

EMP
    EMP

Number of posts : 7384
    Supports : Valencia, and in Africa Al-Ahly
    Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by EMP Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:20 am

Koeman at Valencia Grr He was so bad there it cancels out everything else he did well before and since and establishes him as the worst manager ever! Whistle
    Jason Jarrett

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2012-07-24

Post by Jason Jarrett Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:30 am

He is a proven flop in UEFA club competitions with Fiorentina,Lazio,Inter and Man City.With the world's richest club he couldn't even make the QF of the Europa League,when Inter,AC and juventus were playing CL QF's,his Lazio team finished bottom of the group,need I say more?
    Fade out
    Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
    Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Fade out Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:08 am

He has identified the problem (Barry/Lescott), but he hasn't resolved it with Nastacic/Javi Garcia.
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
    Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:36 am

To a certain extent. He seems to have a desire to play three at the back. There's nothing wrong with this per se but I don't think he has the personnel to do this well, whether it's nastacic or Lescott. Their wide players required for that role are quite average really - Clichy/Kolorov, Milner, Zabaleta. Not the type of plays you'd want to rely on the provide creativity done the flanks.

And as you said, the squad has been changed quite a bit, but with no huge gain. Sinclair/Adam Johnson is another example of that.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Fey Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:43 pm

I think he is a woeful coach, but that has more to do with his philosophy. On the other hand, yes, I know his squad is really expensive. But im sorry, players like Rodwell, Barry, Milner etc arent that good.

The most shocking thing for me was that their stadium wasnt even sold out. Against the champs of Krautistan FFS. I guess this is how it feels to be city..
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:21 pm

Mancini was in charge of the Inter side we brushed away with relative ease home and away in 2008. His teams have little guile in Europe and don't play with the required tempo and tactical awareness you need to go far in the competition.

I'm struggling to see why the signings of Rodwell or Sinclair were made other than to say 'fuck you, we have money and we're going to spend it on any old mediocrity.'

It really is strikingly similar to when Chelsea bought Steve Sidwell and Ben Haim.

Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:01 pm

Wenger is definitely not worse than Mancio. He has his issues for sure but he's proven himself to be a good, consistent performer over the last decade or so. And i'm sure Mancio can't find and polish players like Le Boss does.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:03 pm

Arsenal's CL record isn't terrible. They tend to get out of the groups each season. Made the final 6 years ago. I don't remember a Mancini side threatening to do that in his long tenure in the CL.

He really just ain't all that.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:47 pm

Disco Benny wrote:Arsenal's CL record isn't terrible. They tend to get out of the groups each season. Made the final 6 years ago. I don't remember a Mancini side threatening to do that in his long tenure in the CL.

He really just ain't all that.

Difference is that Wenger's Arsenal have been in the CL every season since 98/99. And back then in the early days they were dropping out in the group stages.

In fact Mancini has only failed to get out of the group stage twice (last season, and 03/04 with Lazio), the same amount of times as Wenger. However, i do accept that the 2 times Mancini's sides got KOed from the group stages, he should have qualified. On paper, his sides were the 2nd best in the group (at least).
    stinger

Number of posts : 6477
    Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:25 pm

Hlebagone wrote:To a certain extent. He seems to have a desire to play three at the back. There's nothing wrong with this per se but I don't think he has the personnel to do this well, whether it's nastacic or Lescott. Their wide players required for that role are quite average really - Clichy/Kolorov, Milner, Zabaleta. Not the type of plays you'd want to rely on the provide creativity done the flanks.

And as you said, the squad has been changed quite a bit, but with no huge gain. Sinclair/Adam Johnson is another example of that.
    Shouldn't he be in theory at least a perfect candidate for 3man backline - as he can easily switch (or could do it a few years back) between playing CB and LB? But I understand it lack of tactical knowledge of playing in this kind of backline is an issue here.

And I don't think you need a creativity from your wingbacks, you need motor and good delivery - it's actually (again - in theory) a system where Kolarov should feel very comfortable. Clichy is a horrible choice for this role though and Zabaleta/Milner are average for this at best.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:30 pm

stinger wrote:
    Hlebagone wrote:To a certain extent. He seems to have a desire to play three at the back. There's nothing wrong with this per se but I don't think he has the personnel to do this well, whether it's nastacic or Lescott. Their wide players required for that role are quite average really - Clichy/Kolorov, Milner, Zabaleta. Not the type of plays you'd want to rely on the provide creativity done the flanks.

Shouldn't he be in theory at least a perfect candidate for 3man backline - as he can easily switch (or could do it a few years back) between playing CB and LB? But I understand it lack of tactical knowledge of playing in this kind of backline is an issue here.

And I don't think you need a creativity from your wingbacks, you need motor and good delivery - it's actually (again - in theory) a system where Kolarov should feel very comfortable. Clichy is a horrible choice for this role though and Zabaleta/Milner are average for this at best.

Maybe if Maicon decides he wants to play football again, Mancio will have his 3 man formation, with Maicon and Kolarov as wingbacks. At least in theory, that could work.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:02 pm

Mancini is the worst coach on the planet!
    Jaime
    Jaime

Post by Jaime Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:13 pm

Fey wrote:Mancini is the worst coach on the planet!

That's what I've been trying to say!!! Ale
    EMP
    EMP

Number of posts : 7384
    Supports : Valencia, and in Africa Al-Ahly
    Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by EMP Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:41 pm

Jaime wrote:
    Fey wrote:Mancini is the worst coach on the planet!

That's what I've been trying to say!!! Ale

And what preparation did Mancini have before getting top level coaching jobs?
    Luis
    Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:05 pm

If Mancini was a coach in La Liga and had spent as much money as he has he'd of been long gone by now. In the Premier League you get a bit more time.

Again I ask, what the hell was he thinking signing Rodwell and Sinclair?
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by christmasborocooper Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:51 pm

Quota?
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:03 am

Mancini as a manager = Flat track bully. Pierre called this years back when he was at Inter, something along the lines of he can use his superior squad/resources to bludgeon the weaker teams domestically over the course of the year but lacks the attention to detail & calmness to make critical moves within games against high-quality opposition.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:09 pm

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini believes it is spirit, not tactics, that provide success in the Champions League.

"If you have spirit you have quality to play Champions League. If not, you can't," says Mancini. "This is the problem. It is not important, the tactics. When you play this game you should have good spirit."

Good lord, he's the Italian Redknapp affraid affraid

At least 'Arry's message to his team was to go out gung ho and try to play to entertain.

Frankly, find it astonishing that Mancini first admits he didn't prepare his team, and now rubbishes the importance of tactics.

If his name were Sam Allardyce he'd get flayed for his archaic short sightedness Ale
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:45 pm

Somewhere, Rafa Benitez is crying into his plate of paella.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:04 pm

Luis wrote:Somewhere, Rafa Benitez is crying into his plate of paella.

He probably does that every time he compares his record at Inter to Mancini's. Mancini is a joke in europe, but come on.... <Ale>
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:06 pm

Kimbo wrote:

He probably does that every time he compares his record at Inter to Mancini's. Mancini is a joke in europe, but come on.... <Ale>

His record in Europe at Inter, the one that lasted 3 months or something?

Is this really the best you can do Very Happy
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Luis wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

I was referring to their league records. Why did Rafa only last a few months? Remind me. scratch
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:27 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    Luis wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

I was referring to their league records. Why did Rafa only last a few months? Remind me. scratch

Because he didn't do very well there after Mourinho set the bar ridiculously high.

Some managers do well at some clubs like Rafa at Valencia and Liverpool but fail in others when not given a long term chance.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:40 pm

Luis wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:
    Luis wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

Because he didn't do very well there after Mourinho set the bar ridiculously high.

Some managers do well at some clubs like Rafa at Valencia and Liverpool but fail in others when not given a long term chance.

Debatable.
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:58 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    Luis wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:
    Luis wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

Debatable.

1 European Cup
    1 FA cup
    A super cup
    Another European final appearance
    Best points total ever and 4 points from winning the league

Very debatable lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:11 pm