Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
S4P
Deano
Rasiak-9
Tottenham2468
Ricardo Jol
110%
Kroos
Ä
Tweesus
Roger Hunt
Parks lives
None
fcb
Brian2468
18 posters

Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain

Poll

Who would you rather have as England Captain

[ 12 ]
    Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain Bar_left41%Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain Bar_right [41%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain Bar_left0%Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 8 ]
    Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain Bar_left28%Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain Bar_right [28%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain Bar_left0%Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain Bar_left17%Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain Bar_right [17%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 4 ]
    Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain Bar_left14%Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain Bar_right [14%] 
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 29
    Brian2468

Number of posts : 4875
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain Empty Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain

Post by Brian2468 Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:52 am

Centerbacks are an easy choice to pick for a Captain. They a little taller and hold the team tight at the back. Bobby Moore was a class act so maybe John Terry but not like Bobby.

Owen Hargreaves seems to be more vocal these days and from what I hear has a much better grasp of communicating to the media and fans.
    Ever since the World Cup the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, know who really is the complete player to hold the middle together.
    England's biggest game in 4 years was our final match against Portugal. Hargreaves had Gerrard and Lampard beaten in every midfield duty. When England went down to 10 men Hargreves put it into overdrive taking over from Gerrard who was a wasted puppy.

What is more important Hargreaves commands respect in the camp now this leaves me to think it would not be such a bad idea to replace Terry as the Main Man....

Plus he really sounds like he has a brain in his head.pirat
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain Empty Re: Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain

Post by fcb Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:38 am

Your arguments make sense, but I can't see the other players in the squad giving Hargreaves the same respect as Terry, G. Neville, Gerrard, or even Ferdinand. Maybe it's just an "out of sight out of mind" thing again with him.
    None

Number of posts : 2548
    Registration date : 2007-02-22

Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain Empty Re: Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain

Post by None Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:59 am

Why is there two of each?

Terry is the only leader.
    L r d

Post by L r d Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:02 am

I don't want Gerrard as captain of my own team. Still... I see no problem with England giving him the armband. They don't have anyone who even remotely compares to him as a footballer.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:28 am

I wouldn't mind it being Hargreaves at all.

My preference -

1) G Neville
    2) Hargreaves/Terry
    4) Ferdinand
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Roger Hunt Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:48 am

Parks lives wrote: 1) G Neville

Laugh

I'd have to start supporting Scotland.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:03 am

I think we should boo every England player BUT Owen Hargreaves on Saturday - the rest are all complete and utter cockfaces.
    Ä
    Ä

Number of posts : 11028
    Registration date : 2006-09-04

Post by Ä Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:31 am

immediately after the World Cup I already told you that Hargreaves HAD to be the next Captain

Terry/Gerry/Lampy neither have the intelligence, game or personality to pull it off

it would help if Owen played at ManU though
    Brian2468

Post by Brian2468 Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:38 pm

It seems there in part lays the problem. I long as you look the part on the big stage it is good enough. By demanding to have the very best at the top it becomes easier for the fans and media to accept other so called top players need to perform consistantly better.
    Terry is a good Captain but what the Lions need now is a someone that the media can listen to and build a positive image for the team. Not over grown hype.
    Wayne Gretzky was in North America a players spokesman that the media liked to here from. Beckham tried a little now we have a chance to get someone worthwhile.. . Wink
    Kroos
    Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
    Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
    Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:32 pm

who cares, you have bigger problems
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:21 pm

How many actually good games has hargreaves played for england? Is it the anyone who plays 5 or 6 good games let's make him captain? Why isn't crouch captain then?

Don't get me wrong he's a good player, but he's not that special. We have swung right over to the other side of the spectrum, first everyone hates him now everyone loves him, and gives him credit for things he didn't do. During the portugal match, the whole england team played well after rooney was sent off so why give one man the credit for a decent team performance.

What will happen if you give him the captaincy? Is he able to motivate other players, create something out of nothing for his team etc. Answer is probably no, but he might run around a bit more and tackle more. He won't inspire a come-back from 3-0 in a CL final, or score 2 goals while playing poorly in an FA cup final etc, which is why Gerrard would be my captain of England.

Is he captain or even vice-captain at bayern?
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:23 pm

voted for lampard
    Brian2468

Post by Brian2468 Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:19 am

110%....Hargreaves was never allowed to shine or become a central figure in midfield for England thats fine he had Beckham, Gerrard, and Lampard all pulling the strings.
    What he will do better than the rest is make the midfield function. He makes players around him look good and contributes in that fashion. No other midfielder in England has the tools to do what he can.

After all the last four years the midfield has been the problem. None of these top players brought England any honours.... Hargreaves will be the man mark my words....Wink

Terry is not needed as much..... With a fit Ledley King the backline works just as good on even better......
    Tottenham2468
    Tottenham2468

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Tottenham2468 Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:35 pm

I would rather have Hargreaves or Gerrard as England Captains as Terry may be a good leader but he is a twat and Lampards ego is already too big
    Rasiak-9
    Rasiak-9

Number of posts : 2605
    Supports : Southampton
    Registration date : 2007-01-17

Post by Rasiak-9 Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:31 pm

I personally would consider giving Lampard the captaincy

I think he'd play better with the added responsibility - i may be wrong but im just speculating
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United

Post by Deano Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:33 pm

Deisler wrote:who cares, you have bigger problems

So do you...such as learning difficulties. Stop being a retard.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:33 pm

Rasiak-9 wrote:I personally would consider giving Lampard the captaincy

I think he'd play better with the added responsibility - i may be wrong but im just speculating

Don't worry about it, it happens to the best of us.
    Rasiak-9
    Rasiak-9

Number of posts : 2605
    Supports : Southampton
    Registration date : 2007-01-17

Post by Rasiak-9 Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:04 pm

hehe - on the basis of that performance lampard doesn't deserve a starting 11 place let alone the captaincy to be honest
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:16 pm

Tottenham2468 wrote:I would rather have Hargreaves or Gerrard as England Captains as Terry may be a good leader but he is a twat and Lampards ego is already too big

Care to elaborate?
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076

Post by The Pröfessör Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:23 pm

This whole captaincy thing is overrated imo.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:27 pm

Agooner wrote:This whole captaincy thing is overrated imo.

ok
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076

Post by The Pröfessör Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:29 pm

Stefan Kuntz wrote:
    Agooner wrote:This whole captaincy thing is overrated imo.

ok

Shocked
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:29 pm

Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain Babylampstu9
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Post by Pierre Littbarski Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:03 pm

borocooper wrote:Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain Babylampstu9

lol! lol! lol!
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:04 pm

Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain Lampar10
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Post by Pierre Littbarski Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:08 pm

Fey wrote:Should Owen Hargeaves be England's Captain Lampar10

eh ???

The bird in the middle looks like Lampard - is that the point ?
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:10 pm

Its Lamparda Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:52 pm