Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U
TM
Pierre Littbarski
spleen
Riviera
StevieG
Sgoater1
lrdsucksgoats
Lard
Sheffield gunner
christmasborocooper
Roger Hunt
Parks lives
17 posters

Graham Poll: The truth behind the battle of Highbury

Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Graham Poll: The truth behind the battle of Highbury Empty Graham Poll: The truth behind the battle of Highbury

Post by Parks lives Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:23 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=473338&in_page_id=1779

Pretty interesting. ok
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Graham Poll: The truth behind the battle of Highbury Empty Re: Graham Poll: The truth behind the battle of Highbury

Post by Roger Hunt Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:34 pm

Or 'how I singlehandedly created a flagship for English football' by Graham Poll. Egotistical arse.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Graham Poll: The truth behind the battle of Highbury Empty Re: Graham Poll: The truth behind the battle of Highbury

Post by christmasborocooper Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:37 pm

Bet he sucked himself off as soon as he finished writing that.
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:40 pm

That is interesting, although to be honest I don't actually think it reflects that well on Poll. The bit about Rooney is clear evidence that he got it wrong. He says that he successfully man-managed him, but only by letting him get away with an offence because he was scared of the consequences. I know that a referee wants to let a game flow but surely he bottled making the correct decision because of a fear that it would make his job harder for the rest of the match.

From what I remember I thought Poll had a poor game. He missed an absolutely blatant penalty if I remember correctly. Despite all this, and not necessarily because of his refereeing, it was a fantastic game of football, and definitely one of the best matches between the top sides in recent years.
    Lard
    Lard

Number of posts : 3822
    Registration date : 2007-03-31

Post by Lard Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:55 pm

Laughing Yes Graham the game was a great game because of you lol! Doh Laugh Doh Doh
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:05 pm

Did find Silvestre's comments funny.

He annoyed me so I butted him. Smiley
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Post by Roger Hunt Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:09 pm

Something similar to Zidane.... must be a French thing.

At least he didn't drop-kick anyone eh? Wink
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Number of posts : 9523
    Supports : Decentralisation of the state
    Favourite Player : The lesser spotted Ronaldo
    Registration date : 2007-02-25

Post by lrdsucksgoats Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:32 pm

Roger Hunt wrote:Something similar to Zidane.... must be a French thing.

At least he didn't drop-kick anyone eh? Wink

I dunno, if he'd drop kicked Graham Poll I'd have found it pretty funny. The more players beat up refs, the more likely we are to get only those refs with the balls to do the job properly. It's natural selection...
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City

Post by Sgoater1 Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:39 pm

Graham Poll is such a wanker im really glad he retired.
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Post by Roger Hunt Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:40 pm

Yeah but the FA killed that with the ridiculously OTT reaction to Di Canio's shove.

A combination of natural selection and technology will probably lead to cyborg referees - 'The Reffinator'. It would be amusing to see Rooney reduced to a pair of smoking boots after yet another tirade.
    StevieG
    StevieG

Number of posts : 1039
    Supports : 1.Valencia C F. 2.Stockport County
    Favourite Player : David Villa , Joaquin
    Registration date : 2007-07-22

Post by StevieG Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:06 pm

i loved the viera and keane bit really does make me laugh that "if you were that good youd be playing for real madrid" hahaha
    Riviera
    Riviera

Number of posts : 5411
    Favourite Player : Iniesta, Hangeland
    Registration date : 2007-04-11

Post by Riviera Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:09 pm

I hate this trend of writing books "revealing" stuff etc.

Plus, Poll is just a attention seeking man, like he's always been
    Lard
    Lard

Number of posts : 3822
    Registration date : 2007-03-31

Post by Lard Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:10 pm

Riviera wrote:I hate this trend of writing books "revealing" stuff etc.

Plus, Poll is just a attention seeking man, like he's always been

Refs don't get paid that much, so im sure every big ref that retires from now on will be writing a book unfortunatly <Ale>
    spleen

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2007-05-28

Post by spleen Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:49 pm

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VzEKOhBNlSM&mode=related&search=
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:54 pm

"I then heard raised voices further back in the tunnel. Patrick and Gary Neville were in each other's faces. Patrick was saying that he wanted to break the England defender's legs. At that moment, Roy arrived. He said: 'Pick on someone your own size.' Patrick said: 'I'll break your legs as well.' Roy replied: 'If you were that good, you'd be playing for Real Madrid.'

It was a clever riposte — Patrick had been courted by Real the previous summer".

Yeah, genius. Rolling Eyes
    TM
    TM

Number of posts : 21218
    Supports : PROGRESS!
    Favourite Player : Luis Figo
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by TM Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 pm

How the fack is that clever? Doh
    Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U
    Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U

Number of posts : 3621
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Patrice Evra
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:15 pm

It wasn't clever in its invention, it was clever in that that was probably the thing which would cut Vieira the most at the time.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:16 pm

Why the fack is everybody saying 'fack' ever since Deisler used it for fack's sake?
    Riviera
    Riviera

Post by Riviera Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:17 pm

TM wrote:How the fack is that clever? Doh

Come on, it's Poll saying it Wink
    TM
    TM

Post by TM Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:20 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Why the fack is everybody saying 'fack' ever since Deisler used it for fack's sake?

Because, f@ck is censored.
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:31 pm

The guy's a wanker, it's as simple as that. Even by English refereeing standards he was poor. I don't wish death threats or any person, but he brought most of the problems on himself.
    TM
    TM

Post by TM Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:47 pm

3 Yellows = A Red ok
    Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U
    Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U

Number of posts : 3621
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Patrice Evra
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:01 pm

TM wrote:3 Yellows = A Red ok

Laugh ok Ale
    Riviera
    Riviera

Post by Riviera Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:04 pm

3 Graham Poll yellows = red Very Happy
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson

Post by The Easter Bunny Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:53 pm

Riviera wrote:

3 Graham Poll yellows = red Very Happy

poor
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:37 am

I always thought Keane was saying to Vieira why not play for Senegal if you bang on about them so much or something to that effect.
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
    Supports : Arsenal FC
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Cesc Soler Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:55 am

It used to be brilliant when those two came together, the Arsenal - Man Utd games since 1998 always had an edge to them when they were around. Sometimes the game was hyped around just those two and not the football! And with the other personal fueds like Keown and van Nistelrooy, this game was the ultimate grudge match.

Thats gone now, and I doubt we will see something like that for a very long time.
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Number of posts : 9523
    Supports : Decentralisation of the state
    Favourite Player : The lesser spotted Ronaldo
    Registration date : 2007-02-25

Post by lrdsucksgoats Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:35 am

Cesc wrote:It used to be brilliant when those two came together, the Arsenal - Man Utd games since 1998 always had an edge to them when they were around. Sometimes the game was hyped around just those two and not the football! And with the other personal fueds like Keown and van Nistelrooy, this game was the ultimate grudge match.

Thats gone now, and I doubt we will see something like that for a very long time.

Every time the fight would be started, and lost, by Arsenal. Like the CC final...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 2:36 am