Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+59
S4P
Deano
Chocolate Thunder
christmasborocooper
godof86
Since 1888
EM Seleção e Selecção
COTR
The Bulk
Batman
Freddie Or Not
DeLux
TM
Glenarch of the Glen
Roger Hunt
DS
Pierre Littbarski
anfield 1989
Calidad
Black Magic
L r d hAsta LueGo
Tom
NCFC
Romford Pele
Mexicanbecks
Machiavel
Juligen
Isco Benny
shazlx
Super Progress
Rez
robert
Football Genius
Puro
The Easter Bunny
Deluded F*ck™
Sir Les
golsud
Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U
lrdsucksgoats
A & K
fcb
Hlebagone
Allez les rouges
Effenberg
The-Frank-Tavern
Parks lives
The Pröfessör
Rosy
Cesc Soler
Fey
Down With The Rosickness
rza
The Vermonster
TheCrazy58
Tweesus
Sheffield gunner
youonlycametooseeeboue
SuperMario
63 posters

Arsenal FC 2007/8

Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
    Supports : Arsenal FC
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Arsenal FC 2007/8 - Page 2 Empty Re: Arsenal FC 2007/8

Post by Cesc Soler Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:06 pm

I think it will end up longer than four weeks, its still only 24 hours since that injury occured. A lot can happen still. Fingers crossed that it is only 4 weeks. Taking into account past injuries at Arsenal I think this one could be 6 weeks or more.

It looked very painful, we should be thankful that it is not a cruciate knee ligament injury.
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:09 pm

Binnenband = Medial Collateral Ligament
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Post by Cesc Soler Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:26 am

Team news:

Wenger has said that he will stick with Almunia in goal for tomorrows game with Bolton.

Gallas and Rosicky are back in the squad after layoffs.
    The Vermonster

Number of posts : 522
    Supports : Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Vermaelen - Exceeding the greatest expectations
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by The Vermonster Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:49 am

Cesc wrote:Team news:

Wenger has said that he will stick with Almunia in goal for tomorrows game with Bolton.

So does that mean Mad Jens will be off in Jan?
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by The Pröfessör Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:50 am

very likely. I hope not though.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:50 am

ok

So,

-------------Almunia-------------

Sagna---Touré--Gallas--Clichy

Hleb-Fabregas--Flamini--Rosicky

-------Eduardo--Adebayor-------

Its a pretty good squad, although I'd be tempted to give Lehmann a chance
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403

Post by Sheffield gunner Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:51 am

Cesc wrote:Team news:

Brave decision, I think I would have gone for Lehmann. He is not going to be happy if he is stuck on the bench. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to leave in January if this continues for much longer.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:53 am

If Lehmann leaves, we really need ti bring a keeper in though. Almunia is nowhere near a top class keeper and Fabianski is very much an unknown quantity
    The Vermonster

Post by The Vermonster Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:56 am

The obvious question is who do we buy in Jan who is NOT cup tied.

The Russian Mafiosi is not going to let Afinkeev come to us. There are a few Italian options but I am not totally sure of them.

What I wouldnt mind given that we reportedly have 70m in bank is to go after Gordon. 12m should do the trick, given that he will jump at the opportunity to come to us.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:58 am

I See RedNWhite wrote:The obvious question is who do we buy in Jan who is NOT cup tied.

The Russian Mafiosi is not going to let Afinkeev come to us. There are a few Italian options but I am not totally sure of them.

What I wouldnt mind given that we reportedly have 70m in bank is to go after Gordon. 12m should do the trick, given that he will jump at the opportunity to come to us.

Well, with Abramovich severing his links with CSKA, there's a possiblity. The guy is out with a long term injury at the moment though and I'm not sure when he'll be back. I'm a big fan of Gordon but can't see Sunderland letting him go for just £3m more than what they paid for him, especially if they're involved in a relegation dogfight
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:59 am

Why would they sell Gordon for £12 million, when they paid £9 million in the summer? scratch

There'd be f*cked if they sold Gordon as well.
    The Vermonster

Post by The Vermonster Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:10 am

Parks lives wrote:Why would they sell Gordon for £12 million, when they paid £9 million in the summer? scratch

There'd be f*cked if they sold Gordon as well.

True, they will be fucked if they sold Gordon.

But I am hoping for two things.

One the lure of regular Champions League football means that Gordon himself will push for the transfer.

Second by Jan end, Sunderland's position is likely to be clear. If they are in comfortable mid-table position (hard chance though) they might be willing to sell. With that money they can surely get a decent enough replacement.

If they are done and out like Derby, then also they might be willing to let go of Gordon.
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Post by Cesc Soler Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:11 am

The next four games after tomorrow should determine whether Lehmann stays or not. If he doesn't feature over those games then I think he will be getting in contact with his agent and be seriously considering a move back to Germany.

I wonder if Gilberto will win his place back in the team over the next few games.
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Post by Cesc Soler Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:12 am

Forget Gordon for the meantime. The only way that will ever happen is if Sunderland get relegated and need a chunk of money to get back up next season.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:18 am

Cesc wrote:The next four games after tomorrow should determine whether Lehmann stays or not. If he doesn't feature over those games then I think he will be getting in contact with his agent and be seriously considering a move back to Germany.

I wonder if Gilberto will win his place back in the team over the next few games.

If Flamini carries on the way he has, no. And there's also Diarra to consider in all this as well. The future doesn't look too bright for both Gilberto and Lehmann to be honest. Depending on how this season goes, there could be a couple of players (those two) leaving in the summer
    The Vermonster

Post by The Vermonster Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:19 am

The problem is that Almunia is a disaster waiting to happen. Thankfully he has been OK, but then he hasn't really been tested yet. Kolo has saved his a*se couple of times.

Mad Jen's experience is likely to be critical from Jan onwards, when we will be fighting on multiple fronts.

If he leaves we need an good replacement for sure.

As regards Gilberto. I have this feeling that this might be his last season at the club Sad.

Juve are interested in him, and if they qualify for CL next season which is very likely then I am sure they will make a bid and offer him a 2-3 year contract. In summer he will have only one year left in his contract, so he might be amenable to a move.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:22 am

Don't get me wrong, if Lehmann leaves in January, we will sign a keeper. It just won't be Gordon.

I'm not sure what the situation is at City, but Isaksson is a realistic option. Amelia is another name th throw in there, who isn't cup tied and would be relatively inexpensive. Then of course, there's someone like Carson...
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Post by Cesc Soler Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:22 am

Lehmann is a certainty. Gilberto I would rate as 50/50. He has been linked with moves to Juventus and Valencia over the past few weeks. With 12 months left on his contract this coming Summer and £5m touted as a possible offer, he may well leave.

Two experienced heads though, I think that would make Gallas the oldest player at an age of 30/31.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:25 am

Cesc wrote:Lehmann is a certainty. Gilberto I would rate as 50/50. He has been linked with moves to Juventus and Valencia over the past few weeks. With 12 months left on his contract this coming Summer and £5m touted as a possible offer, he may well leave.

Two experienced heads though, I think that would make Gallas the oldest player at an age of 30/31.

It would hugely reduce our average squad age.

Thing is, by next summer we'll have about £70m for a transfer budget, but what the hell do we spend it all on if any?

We may need a keeper, which could cost up to £20m, but knowing Wenger will cost £1m and a bag of balls. Aside from that, is there anywhere that needs urgent treatment? We don't want to hamper the opportunities for our upcoming youngters. It may be worth siloing the money for stadium expansion.
    The Vermonster

Post by The Vermonster Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:33 am

Tweedle wrote:
    Cesc wrote:Lehmann is a certainty. Gilberto I would rate as 50/50. He has been linked with moves to Juventus and Valencia over the past few weeks. With 12 months left on his contract this coming Summer and £5m touted as a possible offer, he may well leave.

It would hugely reduce our average squad age.

Thing is, by next summer we'll have about £70m for a transfer budget, but what the hell do we spend it all on if any?

We may need a keeper, which could cost up to £20m, but knowing Wenger will cost £1m and a bag of balls. Aside from that, is there anywhere that needs urgent treatment? We don't want to hamper the opportunities for our upcoming youngters. It may be worth siloing the money for stadium expansion.

We need a proper winger for one. Ideal one would be someone who can left footed and can operate on both flanks and has an eye for the goal.

Hleb though has had a great season so far, but for some reason I am always reminded by his failures from last two seasons. So even if he leaves I won't be surprised (Assuming we get a winger).
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:37 am

Hleb is no winger. In fact we have no out and out wingers at all. We just have players who can play as a winger.

Last edited by on Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:37 am

I See RedNWhite wrote:
    We need a proper winger for one. Ideal one would be someone who can left footed and can operate on both flanks and has an eye for the goal.

Quaresma, or alternatively Rosina. We were linked heavily to Rosina throughout the summer. He's started the season well again, but he plays for Torino, who are a bit like the Fulham of Serie A - they play reasonably attractive football and have some half decent players, but a shite defence and as a result finish in an around the relegation zone.

Ask Bluenine about Rosina though. He reckons he'll be an Italy regular is a season or two ok

Hleb though has had a great season so far, but for some reason I am always reminded by his failures from last two seasons. So even if he leaves I won't be surprised (Assuming we get a winger).

He'll stay. He started very well for us when he first moved here but then was blighted by injuries and wasn't really the same. He seems to have discovered his old form though so fair play to him Ale
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:40 am

Surely you must see why Wenger doesn't use conventional wingers? So that he can get the best out of Fabregas.

If you played conventional wingers he'd have to play alot more defensively.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:44 am

Parks lives wrote:Surely you must see why Wenger doesn't use conventional wingers? So that he can get the best out of Fabregas.

Well, by not playing wingers, it means that our forwards can drop out wide and our wingers can then cut into the box.

RVP, Adebayor and Eduardo are all mobile players that are happy to run the channels.

We also have two very attacking full backs, which add the width to our squad.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:45 am

Yeah, the full backs provide you with a lot of width.

Rosicky can do what you mentioned anyway, he's just never fit.
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Number of posts : 8505
    Supports : Atlético de Madrid

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:05 pm

Parks lives wrote:Surely you must see why Wenger doesn't use conventional wingers? So that he can get the best out of Fabregas.

ok
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Post by The Pröfessör Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:56 pm

jonathan de guzman wrote:Hleb is no winger. In fact we have no out and out wingers at all. We just have players who can play as a winger.

we should use hleb where France is currently using Ribery ie behind the front 2 with 3 other midfielders behind him.
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Post by Cesc Soler Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:27 pm

The absence of Robin van Persie means Eduardo will have the opportunity to stake a claim for a permanent place in the Arsenal line-up — starting on Saturday against Bolton.

The Croatian has been relatively quiet since signing from Dinamo Zagreb in the summer. He has two goals in seven appearances but has been struck down with a niggling groin injury in recent weeks.

It is ironic therefore that Van Persie’s knee problem — which is now expected to keep him out for four to six weeks - could open the door for the 24-year-old.

“Eduardo, it could be time for him,” said Wenger at Friday’s press conference. “He has started very well.”

In other team news for the weekend, William Gallas will start for the first time since August 19. Gilberto will be among the substitutes after the long trip back from Brazil’s World Cup qualifier against Columbia. The fit-again Tomas Rosicky may join him there.

“Gilberto travelled last night so he will be on the bench,” said Wenger. “Tomas could be back on the bench too but I will decide that tomorrow.

“Gallas will start because he started with his national team. Senderos is out with a back injury.

“I feel Robin van Persie will be out for four to six weeks. I count six so hopefully I will not be disappointed.”

As revealed by Arsenal.com on Thursday, Manuel Almunia will retain his place. The fit-again Jens Lehmann will not be involved at all.

“He can go on the bench,” said the manager. “But for tomorrow I have decided to leave him out completely.”
    http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=483101&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Wenger+-+This+could+be+Eduardo%27s+time+to+shine
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Post by The Pröfessör Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:23 pm

'Underrated' Denilson signs new contract

By Richard Clarke

Arsène Wenger believes Denilson is underrated.

The Arsenal manager is highly-delighted to have secured the 19-year-old Brazilian midfielder on a new long-term deal with the Club. For Wenger, it demonstrates the giant strides he has made since signing from Sao Paulo on transfer-deadline day last August.

“I am pleased, very pleased,” he said. “Denilson is a great player. For me, he is underrated. He does not get all the praise his performances suggest but that will come very quickly.

“He is the youngest player of our squad along with Armand Traore. He has played big games but he has shown he can cope with the pressure and produce quality performances. I expect him to make a big impact.”

-------------------------

don't know if this has been posted yet...

Good news!
    Effenberg
    Effenberg

Number of posts : 3975

Post by Effenberg Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:46 pm

According to a German sports website Lehmann is not even in the squad for your next match, i.e. he's now your third choice keeper.

I really rate Wenger, but this is more than an insult.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 9:17 am