Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
The Easter Bunny
The-Frank-Tavern
Tweesus
Fey
shazlx
Sgoater1
Rez
Mexicanbecks
lrdsucksgoats
DD
L r d hAsta LueGo
DS
Since 1888
Kimbo
Parks lives
19 posters

City sign Alves

Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

City sign Alves Empty City sign Alves

Post by Parks lives Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:03 pm

Manchester City have secured a deal for Brazilian international Afonso Alves, according to reports in Holland.

It is reported that City owner Thaksin Shinawatra flew to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport on Wednesday to open talks with Heerenveen and he seemingly wasted little time in securing a deal in principle.

It is now claimed that a 20million euros (£13.85million) deal is in place for January, and that manager Sven Goran Eriksson reportedly joined Shinawatra in Holland on Thursday to talk with the player.

Alves is contracted to Heerenveen until 2011 - but he has made little secret of the fact that he wants to quit for one of Europe's top leagues.

Middlesbrough showed interest in the summer and Alves admitted he would be open to a move to Teesside, so a switch to Eastlands is sure to appeal to him.

Goals trail

Alves has risen to prominence in recent seasons after he moved to Heerenveen in 2006 from Malmo. During his first season he bagged 31 goals in 34 games and this season has proved equally as fruitful.

He has 10 goals to his name this term, which have come from just four games and that included a momentous seven-goal haul against Heracles.

City have turned to Alves as they look to bolster their options up-front, which are currently very limited.

Summer signing Valeri Bojinov sustained a serious knee injury in his first start for the club in August which has sidelined him until January at the earliest, whilst fellow new arrival Rolando Bianchi has failed to settle and looks as if he could leave during the transfer window.

Emile Mpenza has been filling in, but Eriksson does not consider him a long-term solution - which then leaves Georgios Samaras and some sources claim he could be used in the Alves move.

Samaras arrived at City from Heerenveen in 2006 but he has failed to live up to his hefty £5million price tag and again looks highly unlikely to be part of Eriksson's thinking for the coming years at City.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

City sign Alves Empty Re: City sign Alves

Post by Kimbo Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:05 pm

Bastards! I was hoping they would spunk that sort of money on Owen. Sad I'll look forward to seeing him play, he's had alot of hype from the board dutchies. <Ale>
    Since 1888
    Since 1888

Number of posts : 5171
    Supports : Sparta Rotterdam
    Favourite Player : Sepp de Roover

Post by Since 1888 Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:05 pm

Heerenveens respond to this:

SC Heerenveen wil niet ingaan op de geruchtenstroom omtrent een vertrek van Afonso Alves. Volgens de donderdageditie van De Telegraaf hebben de Friese club en Manchester City een akkoord bereikt over een transfersom van twintig miljoen euro.

Heerenveen-directeur Yme Kuiper wenst niet te reageren op de berichtgeving rondom Alves. “Kennelijk is de geruchtenmachine over Alves weer op gang gekomen. Ons beleid is dat we niet op geruchten reageren en dat blijft zo”, aldus Kuiper op de website.

Volgens de ochtendkrant wordt ook Georgios Samaras in de deal betrokken. De Griekse aanvaller speelde in het verleden al drieënhalf seizoen in het Abe Lenstra Stadion. Daarnaast zouden zowel voorzitter Thaksin Shinawatra als coach Sven-Göran Eriksson woensdag de Friese stad hebben aangedaan om de deal af te ronden.

Alves (26) kwam dit seizoen om verschillende redenen negatief in het nieuws, maar zijn zeven treffers tegen Heracles Almelo betekenden naast een record en wereldwijde bekendheid ook de ommekeer. De achtvoudig international (één treffer) scoorde daarna ook de winnende tegen AZ (0-1) en was tweemaal trefzeker op verplaatsing bij VVV-Venlo (0-4).

-----
    Basicly says that these are rumours and the club's policy is not to respond to rumours. Not sure what to make of this.
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by DS Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:05 pm

Good signing , like him City are really showing ambition , I think they need someone in defence though because leaving how good Richards is he is still tactically naive.
    L r d hAsta LueGo
    L r d hAsta LueGo

Number of posts : 2388
    Registration date : 2007-10-19

Post by L r d hAsta LueGo Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:21 pm

Interesting signing. DD has been his agent in recent months i wonder how much he made from this deal Biggrin

Should be good to see him each week and just how good he is. I have heard various opinions, from being Romario to being a limited player who just gets goals.
    DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC

Post by DD Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:31 pm

L r d wrote:Interesting signing. DD has been his agent in recent months i wonder how much he made from this deal Biggrin
    Basketball
    Should be good to see him each week and just how good he is. I have heard various opinions, from being Romario to being a limited player who just gets goals.
    Rivaldo like lrd. Rivaldo.

Amazing finisher, bit of an artist who can make tap ins as well. immaculate from free kicks and can take penalties. Can outplay any defense and keeper. Oh, and can head and makes long range laser beams.
    Reminds me of how Micheal Jordan used to dominate the court, he always represents a threat. Has the same intensity about him. Always looks like scoring out of the blue.
    Not a pace merchant and not a battering ram like Drogba.

I'll be keeping my eye out for him in the FF competition. cyclops
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Number of posts : 9523
    Supports : Decentralisation of the state
    Favourite Player : The lesser spotted Ronaldo
    Registration date : 2007-02-25

Post by lrdsucksgoats Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:02 pm

If he's as good as I'm led to believe then City will have one hell of a player on their hands. They're really building a strong squad there - great academy too. The future sure looks bright for them, Shinawatra's court case notwithstanding.
    Mexicanbecks
    Mexicanbecks

Number of posts : 3775
    Supports : Real Madrid
    Favourite Player : Zidane
    Registration date : 2006-11-16

Post by Mexicanbecks Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:14 pm

I'll believe it when he puts on a city jersey ok
    Rez

Number of posts : 3757
    Registration date : 2006-10-06

Post by Rez Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:27 pm

Very good signing from Citeh, he is meant to be an amazing player. If he is as good as DD says he is then Citeh may indeed take up Liverp0-0ls champions league spot.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City

Post by Sgoater1 Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:35 pm

I will believe it when i see him in a city shirt but if its true he could be a fantastic signing.

How do the dutchies think he will do in the EPL ?
    shazlx
    shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
    Supports : Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
    Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:35 pm

Rez wrote:Very good signing from Citeh, he is meant to be an amazing player. If he is as good as DD says he is then Citeh may indeed take up Liverp0-0ls champions league spot.
    pirat
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:59 pm

Sgoater1 wrote:I will believe it when i see him in a city shirt but if its true he could be a fantastic signing.

No, he is too slow for that!! Samaras is better!!! Alves would fit best in the German or the Spanish league!

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:16 pm

Fey wrote:
    Sgoater1 wrote:I will believe it when i see him in a city shirt but if its true he could be a fantastic signing.

No, he is too slow for that!! Samaras is better!!! Alves would fit best in the German or the Spanish league!

Samaras is shite!
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:16 pm

crouching tiger wrote:
    Fey wrote:

Samaras is shite!

No he is not!! He can do more tricks with a ball then the entire Liverpool team combined!!
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:26 pm

Just had a look at hi stats for this season on Wiki and it says that in 4 games he's scored 10 goals. That can't be right can it?!?!
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:29 pm

Tweedle wrote:Just had a look at hi stats for this season on Wiki and it says that in 4 games he's scored 10 goals. That can't be right can it?!?!

He scored 7 in one game i think.
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Number of posts : 8505
    Supports : Atlético de Madrid

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:31 pm

yeah a few weeks back think they won 9-0 and sibon (him of sheff wed) got at least one too
    Since 1888
    Since 1888

Post by Since 1888 Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:40 pm

Tweedle wrote:Just had a look at hi stats for this season on Wiki and it says that in 4 games he's scored 10 goals. That can't be right can it?!?!

That's totally correct.
    L r d hAsta LueGo
    L r d hAsta LueGo

Post by L r d hAsta LueGo Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:43 pm

DD wrote:
    L r d wrote:Interesting signing. DD has been his agent in recent months i wonder how much he made from this deal Biggrin
    Basketball
    Rivaldo like lrd. Rivaldo.

Amazing finisher, bit of an artist who can make tap ins as well. immaculate from free kicks and can take penalties. Can outplay any defense and keeper. Oh, and can head and makes long range laser beams.
    Reminds me of how Micheal Jordan used to dominate the court, he always represents a threat. Has the same intensity about him. Always looks like scoring out of the blue.
    Not a pace merchant and not a battering ram like Drogba.

I'll be keeping my eye out for him in the FF competition. cyclops

haha i didn't think of that. I would get him straight away and see what happens.
    Ok Rivaldo my mistake, well that's some expectations you have given him, lets see if he lives up to it <Ale>
    Since 1888
    Since 1888

Post by Since 1888 Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:44 pm

I really don't like this DD hyping up. It's like black magic --> look at Boulahrouz
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:48 pm

Since 1888 wrote:

That's totally correct.

Thats incredible!!! Citeh for the CL if they sign him!
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson

Post by The Easter Bunny Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:49 pm

Fey wrote:
    crouching tiger wrote:
    Fey wrote:

Samaras is shite!

No he is not!! He can do more tricks with a ball then the entire Liverpool team combined!!

Really not that hard Wink
    L r d hAsta LueGo
    L r d hAsta LueGo

Post by L r d hAsta LueGo Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:51 pm

Since 1888 wrote:I really don't like this DD hyping up. It's like black magic --> look at Boulahrouz

When DD gives someone the hype he doesn't hold back Laughing

But if he's good enough then he wont flop. Boula was dutch bias, but surely ya wouldn't exaggerate over a Brazillian bom
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:27 pm

Listen to Fey he is right about Alves.... and the Liverpool team (including Kuyt?)
    robert
    robert

Number of posts : 5672
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Giggs
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Post by robert Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:26 pm

I'm unconvinced about how he will adapt to the premier league, he isn't all that physical.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:34 pm

Neither is Elano. And he's adjusted just fine!

The whole physical arguement is bull to be honest, just look at Pienaar! you can't get much more lightweight than him and he's been doing fine
    L r d hAsta LueGo
    L r d hAsta LueGo

Post by L r d hAsta LueGo Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:36 pm

Just for the record, manchester evening news have an article in which city deny the story, and so do the dutch club. No deal has happenend or talks so they say.
    robert
    robert

Post by robert Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:44 pm

Tweedle wrote:Neither is Elano. And he's adjusted just fine!

The whole physical arguement is bull to be honest, just look at Pienaar! you can't get much more lightweight than him and he's been doing fine

Depends on the position. Elano is a AM/wing player, same with Pienaar. They aren't exactly going toe to toe with centerbacks for aerial balls are they. Alfonso upfront for city is the same effect Laarson had playing upfront for us last season easily outmuscled off the ball.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:46 pm

robert wrote:
    Tweedle wrote:Neither is Elano. And he's adjusted just fine!

Depends on the position. Elano is a AM/wing player, same with Pienaar. They aren't exactly going toe to toe with centerbacks for aerial balls are they. Alfonso upfront for city is the same effect Laarson had playing upfront for us last season easily outmuscled off the ball.

City don't lump balls up to forwards though - they rely on movement and one two passing.
    robert
    robert

Post by robert Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:48 pm

We don't exactly lump balls up front either, but there comes a time where you need someone who will hold the ball and knit the passes together. Alves won't be able to do part 1 well enough for there to be any fluency.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:50 pm