Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
Calidad
DS
bluenine
The-Frank-Tavern
fcb
Black Magic
Luso
Gigliati
toon h
Tweesus
14 posters

Villarreal V Fiorentina

Poll

Who will have the better season?

[ 12 ]
    Villarreal V Fiorentina Bar_left67%Villarreal V Fiorentina Bar_right [67%] 
    [ 6 ]
    Villarreal V Fiorentina Bar_left33%Villarreal V Fiorentina Bar_right [33%] 

Total Votes: 18
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Villarreal V Fiorentina Empty Villarreal V Fiorentina

Post by Tweesus Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:45 pm

So, I got laughed at earlier on in the season for comparing the two clubs, but who will have the better season?

Both look set to qualify from their UEFA cup group and both have started the season relatively well, especially Villarreal, although results haven't been going their way recently.
    toon h
    toon h

Number of posts : 8715
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Villarreal V Fiorentina Empty Re: Villarreal V Fiorentina

Post by toon h Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:27 pm

why did you get laughed at Tweedle?
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:37 pm

Because apparently fiorentina are better.
    Gigliati
    Gigliati

Number of posts : 151
    Supports : Fiorentina
    Favourite Player : Batistuta
    Registration date : 2007-03-09

Post by Gigliati Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:08 am

This is ridiculous. Just because villareal have had a good start to their season does not mean they are better than Fiorentina. Why don't you compare whether Villareal will have a better season than Chelsea or not? Stick to the things you have a clue about, dude. Because clearly you have no idea of Italy and Serie A. I bet you did not even see the game when Fiorentina played Villareal this season. Doh

You are very diplomatic with your disdain for Fiorentina, but your italiaphobic tendencies can be easily seen through. Fiorentina are a big club in Italy with a great history. We have finsihed in the top 4 in Italy last 2 seasons, and will most likely do so again. And unlike your EPL, Serie A has more than 4 serious competitors who know how to play football.

Tweesus of Nazareth wrote:So, I got laughed at earlier on in the season for comparing the two clubs, but who will have the better season?

Both look set to qualify from their UEFA cup group and both have started the season relatively well, especially Villarreal, although results haven't been going their way recently.
    Luso
    Luso

Number of posts : 3305
    Supports : Sporting Clube de Portugal

Post by Luso Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:57 am

You tell 'em Viola!
    To be fair though, he hasn't actually said Villarreal are better than Fiorentina in this thread... don't know if he did in a previous one, but he hasn't in this one.

I wouldn't say they have a simliar standing in terms of following, Fiorentina in that sense I believe is a much bigger club, but considering recent results... they've been fairly close... with Villarreal doing better in Europe having reached the Semi-Finals of the CL.

Overall I'd say Fiorentina is the bigger club, but that's not being questioned here... the current season is.

Last edited by on Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
    Black Magic

Number of posts : 7514
    Registration date : 2007-10-14

Post by Black Magic Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:16 am

Fiorentina are the bigger club and will get a champions league spot, Villarreal will not.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:19 am

Black Magic wrote:Fiorentina are the bigger club and will get a champions league spot, Villarreal will not.

What makes you say that? Villarreal certainly have a chance of a CL spot this year...

Re. the original topic, I think it's obvious that Tweedle is talking about now, not history. In the past few years Villarreal's achievements and playing staff has been on par with Fiorentina IMO. Ok, Fiorentina have the more consistent league finishes, but Villarreal have done better in Europe by reaching the CL semis in 2006.
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:23 am

Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Valencia - they'll get out of their slump, not too far behind the leaders either.
    Atletico/Sevilla
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:25 am

Sevilla will continue to have mixed results as long as their involvement in the CL continues...it's bizarre, but seems to affect the "4th" team in La Liga every season whenever they qualify for Europe.

Atletico and Valencia may be favourites on paper, but the former can historically never be counted on to live up to their billing, and the latter are going through a serious crisis.
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:34 am

Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Valencia
    Atletico/Sevilla
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Number of posts : 8505
    Supports : Atlético de Madrid

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:10 am

kas wrote:Sevilla will continue to have mixed results as long as their involvement in the CL continues...it's bizarre, but seems to affect the "4th" team in La Liga every season whenever they qualify for Europe.
    i agree with your seniments but they finished 3rd, but its affected the 4th team too this season
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:25 am

Valencia's problems this season are not just due to the CL IMO...there's too many other things going on there, mainly a squad that's not really united, drastically underperforming players, lack of quality in defense, and fans/management that has never been 100% behind the team since the start of the season. First there were the demands on Quique, and now just plain disillusionment with Koeman.

But I referred to Sevilla as the "4th" team since they joined the club of teams who always rotate CL participation from year to year. Betis, Villarreal, Osasuna, Sevilla...this year it may finally be Atletico.
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:34 am

hopefully, but then we'll need another mass spending spree to avoid the probs the others have had.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:46 am

He is just winding you up, and looks like its working Razz Tweedy is a well known WUM, specially when it comes to Italian football. Now that you have reacted, he will act very innocent and victimised Wink

Just ignore his posts on Italian football. Thats what most Italian posters here do now.

Gigliati wrote:This is ridiculous. Just because villareal have had a good start to their season does not mean they are better than Fiorentina. Why don't you compare whether Villareal will have a better season than Chelsea or not? Stick to the things you have a clue about, dude. Because clearly you have no idea of Italy and Serie A. I bet you did not even see the game when Fiorentina played Villareal this season. Doh

You are very diplomatic with your disdain for Fiorentina, but your italiaphobic tendencies can be easily seen through. Fiorentina are a big club in Italy with a great history. We have finsihed in the top 4 in Italy last 2 seasons, and will most likely do so again. And unlike your EPL, Serie A has more than 4 serious competitors who know how to play football.

Tweesus of Nazareth wrote:So, I got laughed at earlier on in the season for comparing the two clubs, but who will have the better season?

Gigliati
    Gigliati

Post by Gigliati Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:03 am

This Tweedle guy keeps mocking Fiorentina in the past - just look at his signature, obviously he has some deep psychological issues with Fiorentina. Why else would anyone have a signature like that? He is being very diplomatic on this thread. But make no mistake, he is most likely trying to get back at me for exposing his lack of knowledge on Fiorentina before. Else why did he wait till Fiorentina had a few slip ups to start this again?

No disrespect to Villareal, but why compare just these two clubs? Why not compare Villareal and Liverpool this season, for example?

Luso wrote:You tell 'em Viola!
    To be fair though, he hasn't actually said Villarreal are better than Fiorentina in this thread... don't know if he did in a previous one, but he hasn't in this one.

I wouldn't say they have a simliar standing in terms of following, Fiorentina in that sense I believe is a much bigger club, but considering recent results... they've been fairly close... with Villarreal doing better in Europe having reached the Semi-Finals of the CL.

Overall I'd say Fiorentina is the bigger club, but that's not being questioned here... the current season is.
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:17 am

Gigliati wrote:This Tweedle guy keeps mocking Fiorentina in the past - just look at his signature, obviously he has some deep psychological issues with Fiorentina. Why else would anyone have a signature like that? He is being very diplomatic on this thread. But make no mistake, he is most likely trying to get back at me for exposing his lack of knowledge on Fiorentina before. Else why did he wait till Fiorentina had a few slip ups to start this again?

No disrespect to Villareal, but why compare just these two clubs? Why not compare Villareal and Liverpool this season, for example?

Luso wrote:You tell 'em Viola!

What has Liverpool got to do here , Liverpool are the most succesful club in the history of English football with 18 titles while Fiorentina has won what 2 titles and the last one 40 yrs ago was it no disrespect.
    DS
    DS

Post by DS Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:19 am

Though Tweed was wrong to compare Villarreal with Fiorentina originally.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:20 am

Gigliati wrote:last 2 seasons, and will most likely do so again. And unlike your EPL, Serie A has more than 4 serious competitors who know how to play football.

You criticise me for having issues yet you say this Question

Anyway, I don't have issues with Fiorentina per se, in fact I was supporting them last weekend!

And bluenine isn't right about my views about ALL things Serie A - I just hate the fascist clubs. I'm a big fan of clubs like Udinese, Livorno and Reggina though.

I think its just an interesting comparison though, especially with both teams in the same UEFA cup group.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:24 am

Dark Savante wrote:Though Tweed was wrong to compare Villarreal with Fiorentina originally.

Why? Their both in the same UEFA group...

Sure, Fiorentina have had more recent success in the keague than Villarreal, but I've already said that I believe this to have been a consequence of Villarreal's European commitments.
    DS
    DS

Post by DS Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:28 am

History comes into it with history comes mentality there is a difference between someone who been there and done it all and those who are rookies at that stage , its kind of mindset too like even Blacburn or Pompey would be in the CL spot you would expect any of the top 4 to beat them and acheive that position , its not only the mentality of the neutrals its also the mindset of the club itself , getting a point against a top 4 is a good scrap while a defeated is nothing which is wrong but it happens.
    Gigliati
    Gigliati

Post by Gigliati Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:28 am

That was the only point I was making. Thank you.

Dark Savante wrote:Though Tweed was wrong to compare Villarreal with Fiorentina originally.

Last edited by on Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:30 am

imho over the last few years these clubs have been of similar standing, not really going to challenge for the title for the whole season but will be close to top 4 at the end of it, last season villarreal started v badly but were prob the form team ofthe 2nd half and eventually sneaked 6th on the last day. for the italians to suggest that fiorentina are way better than villarreal demonstrates imho a lack of knowledge of la liga. how long the yellow submarine can maintain this level of consistancy though given the size of the club and town is another matter, but at the mo its v close
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:32 am

Gigliati wrote:That was the only point I was making. Thank you.

Why exactly? Because Fiorentina are better?
    DS
    DS

Post by DS Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:34 am

The-Frankinsense-Tavern wrote:imho over the last few years these clubs have been of similar standing, not really going to challenge for the title for the whole season but will be close to top 4 at the end of it, last season villarreal started v badly but were prob the form team ofthe 2nd half and eventually sneaked 6th on the last day. for the italians to suggest that fiorentina are way better than villarreal demonstrates imho a lack of knowledge of la liga. how long the yellow submarine can maintain this level of consistancy though given the size of the club and town is another matter, but at the mo its v close
    Have faith mate - G Rossi.
    Gigliati
    Gigliati

Post by Gigliati Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:45 am

Mr Tavern, answer me this:

1. What is so similar about the two clubs to merit a comparison in the first place?

2. You are wrong. Fiorentina have not been at the threshold of top 4 in the last 2 seasons. Fiorentina have done even better than Roma in Serie A, which is the second best club in these 2 years (we won 147 points to Roma's 144). However, we have been penalised. Otherwise we would have played CL the last 2 seasons by finishing 4th and 3rd without the penalties. In Italy, based on domestic performances, there has been negligible difference between Fiorentina, Milan and Roma since Prandelli took over. Only Inter have been clearly better.

I mean no disrespect to Villareal. But purely based on our Serie A performances and standing, and comparing them to Villareal's domestic performances, we have done much better. Just to compare, Villareal got 123 points in La Liga in these 2 seasons, and finished 7th and 5th.

They did play well in europe, but we cannot really compare that because Fiorentina were not allowed to. However we did play them this season at their home, and I think we looked the better team in that draw.

The-Frankinsense-Tavern wrote:imho over the last few years these clubs have been of similar standing, not really going to challenge for the title for the whole season but will be close to top 4 at the end of it, last season villarreal started v badly but were prob the form team ofthe 2nd half and eventually sneaked 6th on the last day. for the italians to suggest that fiorentina are way better than villarreal demonstrates imho a lack of knowledge of la liga. how long the yellow submarine can maintain this level of consistancy though given the size of the club and town is another matter, but at the mo its v close
    Gigliati
    Gigliati

Post by Gigliati Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:58 am

Now we are facists? Blue is right. It is pointless to discuss with you.

Tweesus of Nazareth wrote:
    You criticise me for having issues yet you say this Question

Anyway, I don't have issues with Fiorentina per se, in fact I was supporting them last weekend!

And bluenine isn't right about my views about ALL things Serie A - I just hate the fascist clubs. I'm a big fan of clubs like Udinese, Livorno and Reggina though.

I think its just an interesting comparison though, especially with both teams in the same UEFA cup group.
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:11 am

Gigliati wrote:1. What is so similar about the two clubs to merit a comparison in the first place?
    depens what period you use i suppose. if we were to take the period from 2000/01 following villarreal's promotion. they have accululated an average of 1.47 points per match in the top flight, fiorentina have accumulated 1.46 in the top flight in the same period (i have not deducted the points for the calcipolli case, to be v fair) BUT you have spent 2 seasons in Serie B in that same period. Therefore, i think over this period they are clubs of similar standing in league terms with villarreal edging it cos they haven't been demoted.

and in the same period they've reached a ECL semi final.
    Gigliati
    Gigliati

Post by Gigliati Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:29 am

I was talking about the last 2 seasons. Before that was our worst phase in history.

If you like to compare history, Fiorentina have been one of the biggest clubs in Italian football. We were the first Italian club to reach the European Cup (CL) finals, we have won the CWC in europe. Historically there is no comparison with Villareal, I am sorry.

The-Frankinsense-Tavern wrote:
    Gigliati wrote:1. What is so similar about the two clubs to merit a comparison in the first place?
    depens what period you use i suppose. if we were to take the period from 2000/01 following villarreal's promotion. they have accululated an average of 1.47 points per match in the top flight, fiorentina have accumulated 1.46 in the top flight in the same period (i have not deducted the points for the calcipolli case, to be v fair) BUT you have spent 2 seasons in Serie B in that same period. Therefore, i think over this period they are clubs of similar standing in league terms with villarreal edging it cos they haven't been demoted.

and in the same period they've reached a ECL semi final.

Last edited by on Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:32 am; edited 2 times in total
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:31 am

oh bless it doesn't suit your argument. so e disregard villarreals best season ever to suit your argument. at this present time they are clubs of similar standing, ie no hope of winning the league but could well qualify for the ecl
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:32 am

I think Florentina are probably the better side, but equally I think gigliati is underestimating Villarreal, who matached Man Utd and Arsenal in the CL, and knocked out Inter Milan a couple of seasons back. They have also beaten Barcelona this season, and actually have a good record against the bigger sides in La Liga. I think both are just as capable of beating one another, though Florentina have more consistency in their performances.

Until recently they had Riquelme, who'd walk into the Florentina team, and in Rodriguez they have one of the best defenders in the world (when fit), and in Fernandez they have the former (or current is it?) South Ameircan player of the year, they're full of other quality too, like Senna, Rossi, Nihat, Capdevila etc.

Last edited by on Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:38 am; edited 2 times in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:13 pm