Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+39
Rosicky
theflyingfrenchman
christmasborocooper
ads_afc
Juligen
DS
Glenarch of the Glen
Kimbo
Super Progress
Dwarf
Zack
Murray
lrdsucksgoats
Puro
Pierre Littbarski
Parks lives
The Easter Bunny
TM
Tweesus
shazlx
The Pröfessör
SuperMario
Black Magic
L.r.d
COTR
Brian2468
S4P
fcb
Sheffield gunner
Fey
debaser
Deluded F*ck™
Deano
Chocolate Thunder
Machiavel
Di Caniooooo!
Sgoater1
Batman
Cesc Soler
43 posters

Premier League 1st-2nd & 5th March Discussion Thread

Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
    Supports : Arsenal FC
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Premier League 1st-2nd & 5th March Discussion Thread Empty Premier League 1st-2nd & 5th March Discussion Thread

Post by Cesc Soler Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:04 am

Premier League 1st-2nd & 5th March Discussion Thread Barclays_premier_league

Saturday 1st March

Derby County vs. Sunderland (15:00)
    Middlesbrough vs. Reading (15:00)
    Birmingham City vs. Tottenham Hotspur (15:00)
    Arsenal vs. Aston Villa (15:00)
    Fulham vs. Manchester United (15:00)
    Newcastle United vs. Blackburn Rovers (15:00)
    West Ham United vs. Chelsea (15:00)
    Manchester City vs. Wigan Athletic (17:15) Premier League 1st-2nd & 5th March Discussion Thread 24q66vl

Sunday 2nd March

Bolton Wanderers vs. Liverpool (13:30) Premier League 1st-2nd & 5th March Discussion Thread 24q66vl
    Everton vs. Portsmouth (16:00) Premier League 1st-2nd & 5th March Discussion Thread Ss1

Wednesday 5th March
    Liverpool vs. West Ham United (20:00)
    Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Premier League 1st-2nd & 5th March Discussion Thread Empty Re: Premier League 1st-2nd & 5th March Discussion Thread

Post by Batman Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:16 am

Tough game for Arsenal. Will Toure be fit?
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Premier League 1st-2nd & 5th March Discussion Thread Empty Re: Premier League 1st-2nd & 5th March Discussion Thread

Post by Sgoater1 Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:23 am

Must win game for us Wigan at home, no excuses we have got to take all 3 points. Wont be easy cos they have impoved a lot under Bruce but if we are to challenge for a UEFA Cup spot then we really need the win, esially as Villa go to Arsenal and Everton play Pompey.

Richards, Bojinov and Petrov will be out so i expect Castillo to start on the left and Corluka will come in for Richards....shows how we are getting strength in depth. Also fingers crossed Johnson might make his comeback after playing for the reserves last night. Also i expect Elano to come back in for Vassell or Ireland, most prob Ireland, who had a shocker against Everton.

Come on City .
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Post by Cesc Soler Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:29 am

From what I gather Toure is still two weeks away from full fitness. I just pray that we don't rush him back like we have done with the others so often in the past.

Should be an interesting matchweek. Man Utd are vastly superior to Fulham, be they will be battling for points for survival, so it's not a given result in that one. West Ham is always tough place to go, Chelsea really have to win this one to really keep the pressure on for the title.

For me the game of the week is Everton at home to Portsmouth. Two sides that have greatly improved over the last two years and looking for a European tour next year. Liverpool will be watching that one with interest!
    Di Caniooooo!

Number of posts : 10829
    Supports : West Ham
    Favourite Player : Paolo Di Canio, Moore, Hurst, Peters

Post by Di Caniooooo! Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:31 am

Sadly I'm going to miss the match, going skiing in the Rocky Mountains and my flight leaves Sat. morning.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder

Post by Machiavel Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:36 am

Wonder what the Manchester United midfield would be .. Carrick nevertheless should start, Says I !
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Number of posts : 15804
    Supports : Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool
    Registration date : 2007-01-06

Post by Chocolate Thunder Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:45 am

Bolton away cheers Neutral

We tend to lose there so not much optimism for the game, but hopefull Nando will hit the back of the net once again and all will be happy.

---------------------Reina

Finnan------Carra------Hypia--------Aurelio

Pennant---Gerrard----Macherano---Kewell(probably Babel though)

----------------Torres------Kuyt

Is what I expect.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:46 am

No Benayoun what is this a joke
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Number of posts : 15804
    Supports : Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool
    Registration date : 2007-01-06

Post by Chocolate Thunder Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:00 am

Vertonghen wrote:No Benayoun what is this a joke

Picked up a knock apperantly during the week.

If he is fit I'd play him.
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United

Post by Deano Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:12 am

Two of 3 cracking games in a row for us, and I fancy us to take something.

I'm not sure on the team for Saturday. The back 5 will be the same, but we have many options in midfield...up front I'm not sure about. Depends if Zamora and Camara are fit. I can see Curbishley going 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:24 am

With no Martin Talyor for Brum, I hope the chance of any of our players getting fucked up like Eduardo is significantly reduced Whistle
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:25 am

Sebastian Larsson from 30 yards cheers.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:06 pm

i reckon we can get a draw at arsenal. it's a tough fixture, but there's less pressure on the players after winning the last couple.

could do with everton dropping some points.
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Post by Cesc Soler Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:33 pm

@ Whoever added the Liverpool vs. West Ham fixture

ok Ale

Arsenal team news

Injured: Kolo Toure, Robin van Persie, Tomas Rosicky, Johan Djourou, Alex Song

Suspended: Emmanuel Eboue (two match ban)

The only player that will return to the squad since the Birmingham City game is Abou Diaby. Thankfully it appears no one has got themselves injured during training this week, it would have been so typical for someone to pick up a knock.

Most of the XI should pick itself, the only question mark is if Walcott plays, where will he be positioned. Personally I would rather have him as a winger and let Bendtner have a game alongside Adebayor. Despite the AC Milan game being on Tuesday, I can't see Wenger resting anyone, and rightly so.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:57 am

Cesc wrote:@ Whoever added the Liverpool vs. West Ham fixture

ok Ale

Arsenal team news

Injured: Kolo Toure, Robin van Persie, Tomas Rosicky, Johan Djourou, Alex Song, Eduardo

Suspended: Emmanuel Eboue (two match ban)

The only player that will return to the squad since the Birmingham City game is Abou Diaby. Thankfully it appears no one has got themselves injured during training this week, it would have been so typical for someone to pick up a knock.

Most of the XI should pick itself, the only question mark is if Walcott plays, where will he be positioned. Personally I would rather have him as a winger and let Bendtner have a game alongside Adebayor. Despite the AC Milan game being on Tuesday, I can't see Wenger resting anyone, and rightly so.

<Ale> ok
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:17 am

Cesc wrote:@ Whoever added the Liverpool vs. West Ham fixture

ok Ale

No probs Biggrin Ale Wanted to make sure it got the right coverage Smile. Where else will everyone be celebrating a Liverpool defeat?
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:26 am

Premier League 1st-2nd & 5th March Discussion Thread 78134622-thumb

cheers
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:35 am

WEST HAM UNITED VS CHELSEA
    UPTON PARK

West Ham striker Bobby Zamora is a doubt after suffering a blow to his knee in a reserve game and Lee Bowyer and Matthew Etherington are still out.

Henri Camara is in contention to feature, as is promising England Under-19 striker Freddie Sears.

Chelsea have no new injury or suspension problems ahead of the trip to Upton Park, with Andriy Shevchenko included in the Blues squad.

Scott Sinclair has moved on loan to Charlton and will not feature.

West Ham (from): Green, Wright, Pantsil, Neill, Spector, Upson, Ferdinand, McCartney, Faubert, Ljungberg, Noble, Mullins, Solano, Boa Morte, Cole, Ashton, Camara, Sears.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Belletti, Terry, Carvalho, Alex, Ben-Haim, A Cole, Bridge, Lampard, Makelele, Essien, Sidwell, Obi, Malouda, Wright-Phillips, Drogba, Shevchenko, Pizarro, Kalou, J Cole, Ballack, Anelka.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Curbishley reckons Zamora will be back, and he was taken off just as a precaution.

Hoping to see Freddie Sears, another fantastic product from the best academy in England cheers.
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:59 am

How many points do people think teams will need to avoid relegation this season?

None of the relegation threatened teams have started putting a good run together yet this season, and instead are struggling for points currently. It was often said that 40 points would secure safety, but this season it isn't inconceivable that 30 points could be enough and I think 35 points will be enough.
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:01 pm

I'd say 4 wins and a draw from 11 games...with Birmingham being 17th on 23...I'd say 36 points.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:42 pm

Grant to try a new 4-1-3-2 formation at West Ham, though from the sounds of the likely starting lineup I think it'll end up being just like Mourinho's dull diamond midfield which he used a lot last year - packed with central midfielders just trying to bulldoze their way through a crowded centre Sleep

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3212893,00.html
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:33 pm

I hope we don't try 4-4-1-1 FFS...
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea

Post by S4P Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:26 pm

The 4-1-2-1-2 was actually very successful imo but for the wrong reasons. It was too "robotic" - there was very little flair BUT it was a system where Lampard & Ballack could play together and more importantly could play well together. Still, it seems like Grant's going back to all Mourinho's old tricks, despite what was promised at the beginning.
    Brian2468

Number of posts : 4875

Post by Brian2468 Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:59 pm

S4P wrote:The 4-1-2-1-2 was actually very successful imo but for the wrong reasons. It was too "robotic" - there was very little flair BUT it was a system where Lampard & Ballack could play together and more importantly could play well together. Still, it seems like Grant's going back to all Mourinho's old tricks, despite what was promised at the beginning.

S4P in truth Chelsea cannot play any other way because the the players in their squad. To play attacking entertaining football you need fast talented players Robben was your last winger. The whole team is set up with a controlled pragmatic game plan. Grant cannot make a Nani or a Ronaldo out of Cole, Malouda, SWP, good players in there own right, there style of play is different imo.

Last edited by Brian2468 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:03 pm

Brian2468 wrote:
    S4P wrote:The 4-1-2-1-2 was actually very successful imo but for the wrong reasons. It was too "robotic" - there was very little flair BUT it was a system where Lampard & Ballack could play together and more importantly could play well together. Still, it seems like Grant's going back to all Mourinho's old tricks, despite what was promised at the beginning.

S4P in truth Chelsea cannot not play any other way because the the players in their squad. To play attacking entertaining football you need fast talented players Robben was your last winger. The whole team is set up with a controlled pragmatic game plan. Grant cannot make a Nani or a Ronaldo out of Cole, Malouda, SWP, good players in there own right, there style is play is different imo.

They have 5 or 6 good central midfielders (the definition of good is obviously up for debate on each one) but not one of them can be called technically accomplished. Added to this is drogba, who although obviously brilliant in his own right, is also a donkey on the ball at times and does not really allow flowing football to go through him.

Roman will have to spend another 200 million if he wants to change this What a Face
    Brian2468

Number of posts : 4875

Post by Brian2468 Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:29 pm

COTR,Watched your Video of Torres. The greatest players have one extra special skill that puts them above the rest of there peers just the same in Ice Hockey. It is a subtle skill most I feel never catch onto how important and it can be used so differently. Faking
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea

Post by S4P Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:58 pm

COTR wrote:
    Brian2468 wrote:

S4P in truth Chelsea cannot not play any other way because the the players in their squad. To play attacking entertaining football you need fast talented players Robben was your last winger. The whole team is set up with a controlled pragmatic game plan. Grant cannot make a Nani or a Ronaldo out of Cole, Malouda, SWP, good players in there own right, there style is play is different imo.

They have 5 or 6 good central midfielders (the definition of good is obviously up for debate on each one) but not one of them can be called technically accomplished.

cheers

It was only 6 months ago that you guys were singing "We've got the best midfield in the world" Wink Essien is more technically accomplished than any Pool midfielder too (possibly one of the best technical CMs in the Prem).

COTR wrote:Added to this is drogba, who although obviously brilliant in his own right, is also a donkey on the ball at times and does not really allow flowing football to go through him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hASJMTkDiSE Wink
    L.r.d
    L.r.d

Number of posts : 5614
    Registration date : 2007-12-21

Post by L.r.d Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm

Brian2468 wrote:COTR,Watched your Video of Torres. The greatest players have one extra special skill that puts them above the rest of there peers just the same in Ice Hockey. It is a subtle skill most I feel never catch onto how important and it can be used so differently. Faking

Interesting thing to notice. Surely there is a little more to it than simply faking here and there though? as anyone could do that. Is there an art to faking in ice hockey?
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:02 pm

@ sp

when you watch essien you don't think

"wow, he is really skillful or what a pass"

You think

"wow, he can run very well " Smile

Stop referencing back to Liverpool. My comment had nothing to do with Liverpool elephant
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:06 am

L r d wrote:
    Brian2468 wrote:COTR,Watched your Video of Torres. The greatest players have one extra special skill that puts them above the rest of there peers just the same in Ice Hockey. It is a subtle skill most I feel never catch onto how important and it can be used so differently. Faking

Interesting thing to notice. Surely there is a little more to it than simply faking here and there though? as anyone could do that. Is there an art to faking in ice hockey?

They call it a "deke".

Goal @ 1:21 Yikes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 3:35 am