Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+43
Khadrim
Ricardo Jol
S4P
Sheffield gunner
Cesc Soler
Since 1888
Chocolate Thunder
DS
SirWalterOfSmith
EM Seleção e Selecção
Thunder
Balls Grayson
Zack
Pierre Littbarski
santiago90c
Romford Pele
golsud
110%
Football Genius
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
Knoblauch
Axeslammer
Deano
fcb
abundance
Kroos
The-Frank-Tavern
Tweesus
Deluded F*ck™
SuperMario
TM
Parks lives
Yef
Calidad
christmasborocooper
BoBo Vieri 32
Z&H
Kimbo
Super Progress
Black Magic
The Easter Bunny
Batman
bluenine
47 posters

Best striker in the world?

Poll

Who is the best striker in the world??

[ 5 ]
    Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_left9%Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_right [9%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_left5%Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_right [5%] 
    [ 7 ]
    Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_left13%Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_right [13%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_left7%Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_right [7%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_left5%Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_right [5%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_left0%Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_left4%Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_right [4%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_left4%Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_right [4%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_left0%Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_left2%Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_right [2%] 
    [ 13 ]
    Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_left23%Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_right [23%] 
    [ 3 ]
    [ 1 ]
    Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_left2%Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_right [2%] 
    [ 2 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 2 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 6 ]
    Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_left11%Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Bar_right [11%] 

Total Votes: 56
    abundance
    abundance

Number of posts : 1514
    Supports : FC Inter
    Registration date : 2007-01-29

Best striker in the world? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best striker in the world?

Post by abundance Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:05 am

I voted Toni

2003/2004 - 30 goals in 45 games (1 pen) - Palermo - Serie B
    2004/2005 - 20 goals in 35 games (3 pens) - Palermo - Serie A
    2005/2006 - 31 goals in 38 games (2 pens) - Fiorentina - Serie A
    2006/2007 - 16 goals in 29 games (0 pens) - Fiorentina - Serie A
    2007/2008 - 16 goals in 25 games (0 pens) - Bayern - Bundesliga

Total - 113 goals in 172 games in the last five years

There are a few around with comparable goals per game in the last five years, but how many did it in three leagues, with three different teams, and with only 6 goals coming from pens?
    And how many are strikers as complete as him?

The guy is great in the air, has a great shot, good first touch, nice skills, he's awesome at defending ball possession, he's rugged and tall but also agile and slim, moves well in and outside the box, good at interplay with fellow forwards...

His only fault is that he's a late bloom, didn't do anything memorable until 26, but at the moment I think he's the surest bet for a lethal striker.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:41 am

Taking Serie B goals into account weakens his case significantly.
    abundance
    abundance

Number of posts : 1514
    Supports : FC Inter
    Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:21 am

uhmm, don't think so actually.

In Serie B he got 30 in 45 games, with a 0.66 goal per game ratio.

If you strip it from the grand total, you still have 83 in 127, with a 0.65 ratio.

Of course being great in Serie B doesn't mean anything special per se, that data was added just to show one year more of consistency.

Here in Italy, when Toni finally blossomed after stepping back to Serie B to join Palermo, many people thought "He won't be able to do it again back in Serie A." Then he did it, and next year some people thought "He won't be able to do it again at Fiorentina". He did it, and when he went abroad to Bayern some other people thought "He won't be able to do that again in a big team in Bundesliga"... well he's doing it, you get what I mean.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:34 am

abundance wrote:uhmm, don't think so actually.

If you strip it from the grand total, you still have 83 in 127, with a 0.65 ratio.

Of course being great in Serie B doesn't mean anything special per se, that data was added just to show one year more of consistency.

Here in Italy, when Toni finally blossomed after stepping back to Serie B to join Palermo, many people thought "He won't be able to do it again back in Serie A." Then he did it, and next year some people thought "He won't be able to do it again at Fiorentina". He did it, and when he went abroad to Bayern some other people thought "He won't be able to do that again in a big team in Bundesliga"... well he's doing it, you get what I mean.
    Toni is still so under rated, its kinda strange. I think its because he has never played the CL, so apart from italians and now germans, people haven't really seen his range of skills. One of the most complete strikers in the world. <Ale>
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Deano Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:37 am

Luca Toni Ale.

Last edited by West Ham e Sampdoria on Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:37 am

bluenine wrote:

Toni is still so under rated, its kinda strange. I think its because he has never played the CL, so apart from italians and now germans, people haven't really seen his range of skills. One of the most complete strikers in the world. <Ale>

I see him almost every week in the Bundesliga....and I can't say I am *that* impressed.

A poor man's Makaay if you ask me.

Last edited by Axeslammer on Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
    Knoblauch

Number of posts : 592
    Supports : Sport Lisboa e Benfica
    Favourite Player : Lazer Markovic
    Registration date : 2007-03-01

Post by Knoblauch Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:49 am

Lisandro Lopez.
    Nilmar.

Number of posts : 4759
    Supports : Italia and Milan
    Registration date : 2007-05-10

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:28 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    bluenine wrote:

I see him almost every week in the Bundesliga....and I can't say I am *that* impressed.

What doesn't impress you? Do you like strikers who are more mobile and athletic? For example, strikers who can beat their man, glide into the area, and finish?

The best striker in the world is Drogba IMO.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:37 pm

Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:

What doesn't impress you? Do you like strikers who are more mobile and athletic? For example, strikers who can beat their man, glide into the area, and finish?

He doesn't provide much to the team, he's just there to finish (like Inzaghi & Huntelaar).

I rate Inzaghi higher than Toni and even Huntelaar might prove to be more clinical (he has to prove it first in a big league though).

Toni's teammates have gone on record to state that they're missing Makaay : he was way more clinical than Toni is. Toni simply misses too many chances.

He's getting service from Klose and Ribery ffs, in a team that's build to rape their league : Toni should easily be leading the Golden Boot Ranking.

(I rank Klose as the best and most unselfish support striker in the world btw).
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Number of posts : 7743
    Supports : Liverpool

Post by Football Genius Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:43 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    bluenine wrote:

The best striker in the world is Drogba IMO.

Hes had one great season in his career, last season... this season hes been pretty poor IMO.

I would say on song hes an absolutely handful - but the point is hes only played one season 'on form' - far from the best striker in the world IMO, hes 29 for gods sake aswell, hes hardly got a lot of shelf life left either.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by christmasborocooper Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:43 pm

Afonso
    Black Magic

Number of posts : 7514
    Registration date : 2007-10-14

Post by Black Magic Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:47 pm

IMHO it's Drogba, maybe it's Senderos but I $h!t myself everytime Arsenal have to face him. Im right in saying that he has prevented Arsenal from 2 pieces of Silverware.

Number of posts : 4759
    Supports : Italia and Milan
    Registration date : 2007-05-10

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:50 pm

Axeslammer wrote:

He doesn't provide much to the team, he's just there to finish (like Inzaghi & Huntelaar).

I rate Inzaghi higher than Toni and even Huntelaar might prove to be more clinical (he has to prove it first in a big league though).

Toni's teammates have gone on record to state that they're missing Makaay : he was way more clinical than Toni is. Toni simply misses too many chances.

He's getting service from Klose and Ribery ffs, in a team that's build to rape their league : Toni should easily be leading the Golden Boot Ranking.

He's profligate. You're right about that. I think Inzaghi and Huntelaar are very useful strikers, but what about a team that wants to play with a big target man who wins free-kicks (by virtue of his size), can out-muscle defenders etc.?

I think Toni is a poor man's Drogba, if anything. Drogba can do much more with his size and is a lot more athletic.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:00 pm

He's profligate. You're right about that. I think Inzaghi and Huntelaar are very useful strikers, but what about a team that wants to play with a big target man who wins free-kicks (by virtue of his size), can out-muscle defenders etc.?

I'd take Klose.

Imagine playing Klose next to Inzaghi or Ruud Shocked
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:33 pm

drogba been heartbroken since mourinho left, but it's him when on form

if picking right now then it's cronaldo or torres
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:53 pm

Axeslammer wrote:

I think Toni is a poor man's Drogba, if anything. Drogba can do much more with his size and is a lot more athletic.

I also agree that he misses a fair few chances, not as clinical as say a Ronaldo or Vieri. I don't agree that he contributes nothing except goals and that he's just there to finish. Toni actually has the ability to take defenders on (unlike Inzaghi) and of course is better at holding up the ball and bringing others into play. Also has some very nice flicks to bring midfielders into play, similar to what Crespo does.

As for Makaay, he didn't seem as good in his last 2 seasons at Bayern and wasn't as clinical as he was when he first joined.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:57 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
    As for Makaay, he didn't seem as good in his last 2 seasons at Bayern and wasn't as clinical as he was when he first joined.

Still he was far more clinical than Toni is now.

Also don't forget Makaay had to play in a poor Bayern team : he didn't have the luxury of service by Klose and Ribery....
    golsud

Number of posts : 4869
    Supports : Barça

Post by golsud Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:00 pm

Bojan of course.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:02 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:

Still he was far more clinical than Toni is now.

Also don't forget Makaay had to play in a poor Bayern team : he didn't have the luxury of service by Klose and Ribery....

far more? I don't think the difference is that big.

Makaay was more clinical, but as i explained earlier, Toni has brought other qualities to the table that Makaay didn't have.

Agree that last season Makaay didn't have great service, but what about 05/06?
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:21 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:

Ask his teammates : Schweini has gone on record that the strikers they have now score 1 in 10 chances, he was used to Makaay who seemed to score 1 in half a chance.....his words, not mine.

And I thought there was another FC Hollywood player who's been talking to the press about the lack of efficiency of the current strikers.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:50 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:

Ask his teammates : Schweini has gone on record that the strikers they have now score 1 in 10 chances, he was used to Makaay who seemed to score 1 in half a chance.....his words, not mine.

And I thought there was another FC Hollywood player who's been talking to the press about the lack of efficiency of the current strikers.

That was a pretty stupid thing for him to say since its a gross over exageration. I rate Makaay highly, especially when he was his peak but the last 2 seasons he did not score every half chance he got. And Toni may miss a few chances, but he certainly doesn't miss 9 in 10 chances otherwise he wouldn't be a striker.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:52 pm

No ones as clinical as Matt Derbyshire Ale
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson

Post by The Easter Bunny Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:18 pm

golsud wrote:Bojan of course.

Ale over 800 goals scored
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:28 pm

Giorgios Samaras Ale
    santiago90c

Number of posts : 43
    Supports : Real Madrid C.F.
    Favourite Player : Zidane and Guti
    Registration date : 2008-04-09

Post by santiago90c Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:01 pm

It's hard to compare them, but I would say judging by goals, Torres is the best one at the moment. Drogba is awsome, and Rooney is freaking smart and good but he doesn't score as much as strikers like Trezeguet or Huntelaar.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:04 pm

If Makaay is that clinical how come he's only ever scored 1 or 2 goals in KO stages of CL ?

The best are Eto'o, Drogba, Chevanton.
    Zack

Number of posts : 1571
    Supports : Tottenham Hotspur
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by Zack Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:13 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:If Makaay is that clinical how come he's only ever scored 1 or 2 goals in KO stages of CL ?

The best are Eto'o, Drogba, Chevanton.

lol!

I am surprised you havn't even mentioned Nathan Ellington...
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:40 pm

Obviously must be Torres.
    Balls Grayson
    Balls Grayson

Number of posts : 1315
    Supports : Italy, Spain
    Registration date : 2007-02-25

Post by Balls Grayson Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:42 pm

Ronaldo ok
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:If Makaay is that clinical how come he's only ever scored 1 or 2 goals in KO stages of CL ?

Methinks he has more CL goals than Toni...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:20 pm