Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Yef
DS
Roger Hunt
Kimbo
SuperMario
9 posters

Everton v Feyenoord

SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Everton v Feyenoord Empty Everton v Feyenoord

Post by SuperMario Fri May 09, 2008 4:55 pm

From Toffeeweb:

Everton vs Feyenoord

By Phil Martin : 07/05/2008

Having read some of the previous letters posted today and also some of the talk regarding the £60M naming rights the board believe our future stadium is worth. I felt the need to write something of my own. 2007-08 has been a reasonably successful season for Everton FC. Not in the real meaning of success, but in the new use of the word which indicates “improvement”. Some great defensive displays, a European run, and a genuine challenge for 4th spot. Despite the late collapse we are improving and the quality squad we demand is slowly coming together.
    My point though is rather more pessimistic. As the whole team building process is sustainable only while things are moving forward off the pitch i.e. attracting investment and building a new stadium. I just can’t get excited about Everton’s prospects while this Ground move debate continues.
    The current board and executives have achieved little (or nothing) in the way of attracting adequate investment. Nor genuinely search for a World class home. The Kirkby debate largely comes down to money and our lack of it! The board using this as a strong reason for going down this “stadium for nothing” route. We all know the situation - that we have little or no money to invest but why exactly should we except this?
    Take another club for example Feyenoord. They belong to the city of Rotterdam (a city with a similar population to Liverpool),also a Port city. Rotterdam also having two other top flight teams (Sparta and Excelsior). Feyenoord play at a 5* UEFA 51,000 all seater stadium. They will also be playing in the UEFA Cup this year based on their winning of the Dutch Cup.
    Despite the fact they already play in a big, relatively new 5*, stadium (De Kuip) they are planning to move to a brand new, 75,000 seater stadium – although some rumours claim it could be up to 100,000 upon expansion. The key requirement of this stadium is that they want to retain the atmosphere of the old ground. And all built within a few hundred meters of the current site.
    Now that’s ambition!
    No Champions League money, NO lucrative Premier League TV money, or Premier League prize money. Yet they are clearly aiming to build the best – in anyone’s eyes.
    Yes I understand two different clubs in two different countries. But take into consideration our board are trying to sell us a mid-range*, out of town, out of the box* stadium. [*if you disagree with these terms just read the official reports. Tesco have no intention of building us anything other than bog standard.]
    We play in the richest, most popular league. We have one of the biggest fan bases, one of the greatest histories, and this is what the Everton board serve up!
    This isn’t an attack on Kirkby – it’s an attack on the logic that’s putting us there. It’s an attack on our £10-15M transfer budget despite the likes of Sunderland and Portsmouth having £30M. Closing all Everton FC stores –excellent marketing skills! Selling the training ground before it’s built –asset stripping to the nth degree
    Why do we put up with this Cr@p? It simply isn’t good enough. It isn’t anything close to Nil Satis Nisi Optimum. The shear controversy alone with the Kirkby move should’ve made the board think twice but no –full steam ahead. Some say 'What’s the alternative?', 'We just can’t attract investment', 'It’s the best for Everton FC in the long term'
    Is it really? I can’t accept that Blackburn, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Derby are all more attractive investments that Everton. And that not a single serious investor hasn’t taken a serious look at Everton. Something simply isn’t right.
    I can’t accept that the City of Liverpool is attracting its greatest financial investment since its conception AND Everton FC is moving out. All in the year of European Capital of culture status. I can’t accept all the half truths, broken promises, fake transfer bids! AGAIN this isn’t an attack on Kirkby – it’s an attack on the people that’s putting us there.
    We may well end up in a safe, cheap, stadium out of the Liverpool City boundaries. But from there I can’t really see us building a stronger fanbase, nor can I see us attracting major investment. Feyenoord will move into their 75,000 (minimum) stadium located yards from their original ground. Who’s situation would you rather be in? Why are we just accepting this situation? Not just the farce of a ground move but the complete mess of a financial plan.
    Until we get some changes I just can’t get too excited about our future. If Moyes and a few of our top players left. We would really be up $h!t creek. Unfortunately I feel that is what it may take before the board get the reaction they deserve.

Thought only 60,000 for the Emrirates lacked ambition too.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Everton v Feyenoord Empty Re: Everton v Feyenoord

Post by Kimbo Fri May 09, 2008 5:10 pm

I don't understand why they even need a new stadium. They're better than they have been since probably the 80s and still average 4k under their capacity. But for some reason they NEED a new and BIGGER stadium. Erm
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Roger Hunt Fri May 09, 2008 5:13 pm

I can understand comparing the cities of Rotterdam and Liverpool.

But it's the usual blinkered Toffee logic to assume that Everton should be compared to the best team in Rotterdam. Sparta have an 11k capacity stadium and Excelsior have 3k. Those are more the targets they should be aiming at ok
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Fri May 09, 2008 5:17 pm

Whats the point , bigger stadium means more cost even after building it ,it would like a white elephant.
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Fri May 09, 2008 5:19 pm

Yep, but why only 60,000 for Liverpool. Why have no clubs in England serious expansion plans? Like I said in my initial post 60,000 for Arsenal seriously lacked ambition too. Found it amazingly low, especially taking the budget into account.

The point of a bigger stadium is giving more fans the chance to go to matches, get a better atmosphere, etc.
    DS
    DS

Post by DS Fri May 09, 2008 5:21 pm

If the stadium remains empty most of the games that kills the atmosphere.
    Yef

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-02-27

Post by Yef Fri May 09, 2008 5:23 pm

To keep the ticket prices high enough? With a 60000 stadium there will plenty of people who are willing to pay those ridiculous prices. Question and demand basically.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Fri May 09, 2008 5:23 pm

De Guzman wrote:Yep, but why only 60,000 for Liverpool. Why have no clubs in England serious expansion plans? Like I said in my initial post 60,000 for Arsenal seriously lacked ambition too. Found it amazingly low, especially taking the budget into account.

The point of a bigger stadium is giving more fans the chance to go to matches, get a better atmosphere, etc.

Maybe less seats than they could fill means they can keep the ticket prices high.
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115

Post by Roger Hunt Fri May 09, 2008 5:23 pm

Realistically, jumping from our existing 45k to 75k would be a huge risk financially. That's a lot of extra seats to fill every week. Likewise Highbury was 38k.

I'd rather see us to to 60k seats and then add another 15k later on if we need them than have empty seats at most games.
    Yef

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-02-27

Post by Yef Fri May 09, 2008 5:26 pm

Also don't forget that we are the only team within 60KM...well only good team that is. and are in the most populated part of the country.
    DS
    DS

Post by DS Fri May 09, 2008 5:27 pm

I would invest some of that stadium building cost into the team and get together an exciting challenging team , a good way to keep the stadium filled.
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Number of posts : 8505
    Supports : Atlético de Madrid

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Fri May 09, 2008 8:18 pm

Kimbo wrote:I don't understand why they even need a new stadium. They're better than they have been since probably the 80s and still average 4k under their capacity. But for some reason they NEED a new and BIGGER stadium. Erm
    cos its a dump inside and they wont attract new supporters unless they get a better stadium.
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Fri May 09, 2008 8:22 pm

DS wrote:I would invest some of that stadium building cost into the team and get together an exciting challenging team , a good way to keep the stadium filled.
    there is due to be a tesco there (biggest in country) which will essentially pay for the stadium
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Fri May 09, 2008 8:24 pm

The-Frank-Tavern wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:I don't understand why they even need a new stadium. They're better than they have been since probably the 80s and still average 4k under their capacity. But for some reason they NEED a new and BIGGER stadium. Erm
    cos its a dump inside and they wont attract new supporters unless they get a better stadium.

So new supporters won't support them because their stadium isn't cosy enough? Good football and success attract new supporters, that's all. People didn't not support Arsenal because highbury was a shithole.
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Fri May 09, 2008 8:27 pm

its even worse in london whose going to go to a dump of a ground when there's so many other ways to spend your leisure time. prior to the all stadia years it was vvvv rarely anywhere near capacity but a good 20k less than now. ok the footy is better now but its also now a pleasurable experience to go. don't underestimate the difference it can make especially trying to attract the fairer sex
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Fri May 09, 2008 8:29 pm

Yef wrote:Also don't forget that we are the only team within 60KM...

I know you don't like Ajax and PSV, but no way Feyenoord are the only good team in all of the Netherlands...
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Fri May 09, 2008 8:36 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:
    Yef wrote:Also don't forget that we are the only team within 60KM...

I know you don't like Ajax and PSV, but no way Feyenoord are the only good team in all of the Netherlands...

Even Sparta is better, so it's an obvious lie Wink
    Since 1888
    Since 1888

Number of posts : 5171
    Supports : Sparta Rotterdam
    Favourite Player : Sepp de Roover

Post by Since 1888 Fri May 09, 2008 10:43 pm

Bloody NAC finished higher than Feyenoord and are in 60km I think.

Fey is just an arrogant rectum talker.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:56 pm