Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+19
Kroos
Khadrim
Allez les rouges
gone
Yef
Roger Hunt
EMP
Di Caniooooo!
The Easter Bunny
DS
Riviera
Sheffield gunner
anglophileHedgehog
Effenberg
Ballboy Thomas Müller
Romford Pele
Calidad
Rosicky
SuperMario
23 posters

24 countries at Euro 2016

Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

24 countries at Euro 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: 24 countries at Euro 2016

Post by Roger Hunt Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:05 pm

The logistics of the number of games are pretty scary.

6 groups of 4 playing once each is 36 games
    8 groups of 3 playing twice is 48 games, isn't it? That's a lot more cost, and time, given that you'd need at least 2 clear days between games.
    EMP
    EMP

Number of posts : 7384
    Supports : Valencia, and in Africa Al-Ahly
    Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by EMP Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:02 pm

Roger Hunt wrote:The logistics of the number of games are pretty scary.

6 groups of 4 playing once each is 36 games
    8 groups of 3 playing twice is 48 games, isn't it? That's a lot more cost, and time, given that you'd need at least 2 clear days between games.

Then play eachother once with facility for play-off if necessary to decide group if all else is equal.
    Khadrim
    Khadrim

Number of posts : 1719
    Supports : Fulham soft spot for Liverpool, Newcastle, Wolfsburg, Rubin Kazan
    Favourite Player : Paintsil, Barry, Iniesta, Ozil
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by Khadrim Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:14 pm

But smaller nations are getting better. Finland, Northern Ireland, even Bosnia at one point were in serious contention to qualify. You have given Andorra as an example of a team improving to which the argument can be made why change what is working.

Also tournament experience is overrated. How many times had Greece qualified when they won. How many have times have England qualified and never won.
    EMP
    EMP

Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,

Post by EMP Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:20 pm

Khadrim wrote:
    But smaller nations are getting better. Finland, Northern Ireland, even Bosnia at one point were in serious contention to qualify. You have given Andorra as an example of a team improving to which the argument can be made why change what is working.

Because they can make further and more rapid progress if they have more of a chance. They are developing through qualifiers, but I think further development would occur if they got tournament experience as well.

Also tournament experience is overrated. How many times had Greece qualified when they won. How many have times have England qualified and never won

Only one team can win the tournament. It depends what your definition of success is. For Bosnia it will be getting experience that they can build on. Besides what chance do they have of pulling a Greece if they can't get to the finals? In answer to your first question more times than Bosnia. And to the second too many for the English and not enough for the others. Wink
    Kroos
    Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
    Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
    Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:02 pm

greece is the "expections affirmation of the rule"
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:06 pm

I can understand the idea of wanting smaller countries to experience these occasions, but I've got to say I disagree. These tournaments are for the elite, and I think they benefit from maintaining as high a standard as possible. Expanding the tournament weakens it in my opinion. It may sound harsh, but this should be a highly competitive tournament, where ideally every team has a chance of winning. It's one of the biggest draws of the European Championships. If some countries aren't good enough, then they don't deserve to be there - whether they are an under-performing 'big' country, or a 'plucky' little country. It may be harder for these smaller countries to make it because of their size, but it isn't impossible. Croatia did well with a small population, as have a number of other countries. They just need to be good enough. They may be at a disadvantage, but in my opinion that is just tough, it's competitive sport, the idea isn't for everyone to 'win'. I probably come across as a typical arrogant supporter of a 'big country' in saying this, but that isn't my intention. The tournament this summer benefited from keeping the standard high. Would it have been better in a 24 team format with under-performing teams like England, and smaller countries which lack quality? In my opinion, no.

Also, this move lowers the pressure on the top sides to keep their standards high. They can afford to play below par, because there is more leniency. The price of failure isn't as high when the safety net is greater like it will be now.
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:59 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:I can understand the idea of wanting smaller countries to experience these occasions, but I've got to say I disagree. These tournaments are for the elite, and I think they benefit from maintaining as high a standard as possible. Expanding the tournament weakens it in my opinion. It may sound harsh, but this should be a highly competitive tournament, where ideally every team has a chance of winning. It's one of the biggest draws of the European Championships. If some countries aren't good enough, then they don't deserve to be there - whether they are an under-performing 'big' country, or a 'plucky' little country. It may be harder for these smaller countries to make it because of their size, but it isn't impossible. Croatia did well with a small population, as have a number of other countries. They just need to be good enough. They may be at a disadvantage, but in my opinion that is just tough, it's competitive sport, the idea isn't for everyone to 'win'. I probably come across as a typical arrogant supporter of a 'big country' in saying this, but that isn't my intention. The tournament this summer benefited from keeping the standard high. Would it have been better in a 24 team format with under-performing teams like England, and smaller countries which lack quality? In my opinion, no.

Also, this move lowers the pressure on the top sides to keep their standards high. They can afford to play below par, because there is more leniency. The price of failure isn't as high when the safety net is greater like it will be now.

Croatia had an advantage to start with. The destruction of Yugoslavia hardly mattered to them. Most of the best players in that squad - the Lost Generation of 1992 onwards were either Croatian or Serbian. They are not a typical small nation nor are Serbia or Ukraine, so they could build. Slovenia are approaching it as are Bosnia and Herzegovina. It used to have just four participants. Was it stronger then? And then it was increased to 8. Did that weaken the quality? And after that to 16 - the format that delivered what we can all accept was a great tournament. It may temporarily weaken, but then it will improve. There are already good teams that will miss out because membership of UEFA has increased substantially due to political events in the continent. Qualification is already harder than it was just a few years ago.

It is elitist and unfair not to give the smaller nations a chance, whether intentional or not. Most countries were small nations in football terms once. But for previous expansion would Greece or even Denmark have had a chance - 1992 had 8 teams. Denmark got lucky, but had it been four rather than eight would they have even had the chance.

The same arguments were advanced before previous expansions of the tournament. Isn't it ironic that the same arguments are used now to defend the quality of the tournament. Would you say that the quality of football on offer at Euro 2004 was as high. How many teams contested that tournament? How long after expansion was that? It is too early to judge whether this will be a good thing in the long run. It needs a few tournaments. Do you think the World Cup should be reduced in number as well? Did Austria or Switzerland have a realistic chance of winning, or even Greece this time? Who actually had a chance of winning?
    anglophileHedgehog
    anglophileHedgehog

Number of posts : 4934
    Supports : VfB Stuttgart
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by anglophileHedgehog Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:11 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:I can understand the idea of wanting smaller countries to experience these occasions, but I've got to say I disagree. These tournaments are for the elite, and I think they benefit from maintaining as high a standard as possible. Expanding the tournament weakens it in my opinion. It may sound harsh, but this should be a highly competitive tournament, where ideally every team has a chance of winning. It's one of the biggest draws of the European Championships. If some countries aren't good enough, then they don't deserve to be there - whether they are an under-performing 'big' country, or a 'plucky' little country. It may be harder for these smaller countries to make it because of their size, but it isn't impossible. Croatia did well with a small population, as have a number of other countries. They just need to be good enough. They may be at a disadvantage, but in my opinion that is just tough, it's competitive sport, the idea isn't for everyone to 'win'. I probably come across as a typical arrogant supporter of a 'big country' in saying this, but that isn't my intention. The tournament this summer benefited from keeping the standard high. Would it have been better in a 24 team format with under-performing teams like England, and smaller countries which lack quality? In my opinion, no.

*signs with a flourish* You said it much better than I could.

EMP wrote:It may not have improved the quality this time, but why judge by one tournament? It will take a few tournaments to measure its impact? I chose Andorra, partly because they have made progress. For them losing 2-0 to England was progress that they can build on. Eventually they can look to keeping a clean sheet and then nicking a result. And then they can build further. Never is a long time. A few years ago I'll bet you would have said Greece would NEVER win the European Championship, but they did. As Andorra makes progress they can become better if they join a Spanish or French league or get to play friendlies against top teams near them. Why deny them the chance to improve? Why bully poor little Andorra? They have different targets and can only improve with qualification against the best of Europe. Belarus or Macedonia for example is an example of teams that could improve or regress depending on opportuntinies. The time to judge this isn't now. It's effect won't be seen for at least three or four tournaments.
    Comparing Andorra and Greece is like comparing apples and pears as we say in Germany, starting with the fact that Greece have a fully professional side (and have a statistically bigger talent pool simply because the population is bigger) and that Andorra's players are mostly amateurs, who, if I remember Sid Lowe's comments from before England's qualification match correctly, were playing in the Spanish third division if they really 'made' it.

If the Andorran league doesn't get stronger or if they aren't able to send more players to higher leagues, progress at international level will be hard to gain. Greece, e.g., have teams competing in the UEFA Cup and the CL (see Piräus last season) and there is a number of Greek players playing in the Bundesliga.

"Why bully poor little Andorra?"--That statement was so unnecessary.

There will always be "bottom feeder teams"--the situation where only equally-skilled and equally-levelled teams play each other is utopian and idealistic.

And, as someone already mentioned, there are quite a few teams who are improving already, see Finland, see Scotland, see Northern Ireland, so it's not as if the current conditions were totally discriminating against them.

However, as Sheffield Gunner already sort of mentioned, you have to keep the balance. It's like at school--you have to decide whether you want to get everyone through the exams and, as a consequence, neglect the top-set pupils and lower the standards or whether you can live with some people falling through the cracks or staying behind, i.e. that in the end, there will be winners and losers.
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:21 pm

16 is a good size considering the overall strength of football in Europe, and also has the added advantage of actually providing a path to the final that doesn't require ridiculous distinctions like only a fraction of third placed sides in the group making it through. It's a figure that works both from the point of view of tournament structure and also for maintaining high standards.

Sure I'm being elitist, because I want the elite to be at a tournament. I don't care where they come from, how big a country they are, how prestigious their footballing pedigree, I enjoy seeing a competition with as few weak links as possible. I'm not discriminating on size or any other issue, although smaller countries are at an obvious disadvantage, but as far as I'm concerned that is just their misfortune. If they can produce the quality then they will be good enough and welcome, regardless of size. Croatia may not be a typical small nation, but why should a typical small nation make it into the tournament if they aren't good enough as it is? That teams like Croatia can make it shows that population isn't a decisive factor. There have been a number of teams with relatively small populations who have done well over the years (Greece and Denmark being two who have won it, and yes I'm aware mentioning Denmark invites a valid response seeing as they weren't originally meant to be there).

I don't see a particularly strong argument for having 24 teams, and I don't think 'giving minor countries a chance' is a good enough reason on its own. Taking part in the final stages of the European Championship should be a privilege, and something that really requires quality and hard work, no matter which country it is. Nations shouldn't have an entitlement to be there, and that is one of the things I fear happening. I know how harsh what I'm saying sounds, but it's competition at it's fiercest. Yes, some countries are heavily disadvantaged because they have small populations, but they shouldn't be helped out just because of this, if they earn a place they will have deserved it, and I worry that with 24 places not enough of the additional 8 teams will have earned the right to be there. For those that are disadvantaged by population, that is just their misfortune, and something for them to overcome. Just my opinion, and as I've said, I think the high competitive level is one of the selling points of the EC over the World Cup. I don't want to see that go.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:29 pm

Agree with SG Ale
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:39 pm

EMP raises a good point though - ok, there were fewer countries at the time, but I bet when it went from 8 to 16, a lot of people had similar arguments against.
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:09 pm

Well having 8 teams would be like having the old CL back only champions and elimination every round meaning harder but you have to consider 8 excellent teams competing would be a dream of every fan , every game is tough and important no mistakes.
    Forget the tournament how hard would it be to qualify but you can say the stakes would be higher and more competitive to be viewed that is what everyone wants.

In 16 you can make a mistake and still do well even win give more chances financially makes sense bigger tournament more nations participating more people watching.

8 of 53 would be harsh wouldnt it but I dont think many football fans would disagree with that maybe expect for people whos team wouldnt qualify so 16 out of 53 seems a bit better financially logically even with 16 you can witness useless games that do no good to anyone (meaning a very weak team making it) so why make it 24 out of 53 thats almost half half the Europe is guranteed a place in its top competition.
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:58 pm

anglophileHedgehog wrote:

*signs with a flourish* You said it much better than I could.

EMP wrote:It may not have improved the quality this time, but why judge by one tournament? It will take a few tournaments to measure its impact? I chose Andorra, partly because they have made progress. For them losing 2-0 to England was progress that they can build on. Eventually they can look to keeping a clean sheet and then nicking a result. And then they can build further. Never is a long time. A few years ago I'll bet you would have said Greece would NEVER win the European Championship, but they did. As Andorra makes progress they can become better if they join a Spanish or French league or get to play friendlies against top teams near them. Why deny them the chance to improve? Why bully poor little Andorra? They have different targets and can only improve with qualification against the best of Europe. Belarus or Macedonia for example is an example of teams that could improve or regress depending on opportuntinies. The time to judge this isn't now. It's effect won't be seen for at least three or four tournaments.

Comparing Andorra and Greece is like comparing apples and pears as we say in Germany, starting with the fact that Greece have a fully professional side (and have a statistically bigger talent pool simply because the population is bigger) and that Andorra's players are mostly amateurs, who, if I remember Sid Lowe's comments from before England's qualification match correctly, were playing in the Spanish third division if they really 'made' it.

Look I'm not looking for an argument. I think it is a legitimate comparison, because many years ago Greece was hopeless to and it looked like they would never qualify, let alone win it. I wasn't comparing their current positions. I meant historically. Andorra can progress if given the opportunity, but they need to gain experience first in qualification and eventually further, but they need a lot of help. There is no chance of a professional league in Andorra ever - it is too small, but their players can gain experience and get better. Perhaps it needs a fundamental rethink and investment, but denying them a chance to develop is unfair in my opinion.

If the Andorran league doesn't get stronger or if they aren't able to send more players to higher leagues, progress at international level will be hard to gain. Greece, e.g., have teams competing in the UEFA Cup and the CL (see Piräus last season) and there is a number of Greek players playing in the Bundesliga.

And to do that they need help. Cypriot teams recently eliminated one of the best in Greece. They too are a small nation that has made progress. Some of them also play in the Greek league. I don't think the Greek leagues are particularly strong - something Greeks I have spoken to agree with. Beyond Panathinaikos, AEK and Olympiacos, most would struggle to name another PAOK, perhaps, but any others. Andorra is a long term think. Their players need the opportunity to develop in better leagues. Perhaps they are in lower divisions, but they still held England at bay for a half and only lost 2-0. There is a chance to make further progress, but it will take many years before they can stun Europe. They will in time nick a result and that will be significant progress. How many Macedonians play in top leagues, or Kazakhs or even Belarus? How may Greeks played in European Cup teams, or top leagues forty years ago or even twenty? My comparison wasn't saying Andorra was as good as Greece and that should have been obvious.

"Why bully poor little Andorra?"--That statement was so unnecessary.

I was responding to the following comment from another poster that I consider excessive and unnecessary: 'Why use the example of Andorra they are NEVER going to be good at football no matter how many times they play decent teams, they are bunch of part timers ffs!' They can get better and showed it, but it will take time to get a result. Eventually they will.

There will always be "bottom feeder teams"--the situation where only equally-skilled and equally-levelled teams play each other is utopian and idealistic.

Don't get this. I obviously wasn't suggesting that Andorra was going to qualify if it was expanded to 24.

And, as someone already mentioned, there are quite a few teams who are improving already, see Finland, see Scotland, see Northern Ireland, so it's not as if the current conditions were totally discriminating against them.

Where did I say it was discriminating against them? I think they need experience at top level and expansion would help. I don't think I said that it discriminates against them. I think it would be fairer and give them a chance to improve and ultimately increase the level of competition in the whole continent. Others don't. We agree to disagree. I don't have problem with that. It isn't the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last time that people disagree with me.

However, as Sheffield Gunner already sort of mentioned, you have to keep the balance. It's like at school--you have to decide whether you want to get everyone through the exams and, as a consequence, neglect the top-set pupils and lower the standards or whether you can live with some people falling through the cracks or staying behind, i.e. that in the end, there will be winners and losers.

[b]That depends on what happens to those who fall between the cracks. Of course there will be losers, but only one winner. I think in time the level of competition will rise as it has each time expansion has occurred, but it may take a couple of tournaments to get there. It is what has happened each time occurred in the past and then these arguments will be forgotten. Be honest how many said the same thing when the competition expanded from 8 to 16 and before that from 4 to 8. Didn't that affect the quality of the competition for the same reasons you are all objecting now?
    Lesley
    Lesley

Number of posts : 886
    Supports : Hamburger SV, Manchester United, Germany
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by Lesley Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:18 pm

EMP,

EMP wrote:And to do that they need help.

Excuse me?

They need help developing their own football in their own country? Their own talents? They only can help themselves there.

As anglo pointed out, there's the problem of the small population in comparison to for example Greece. So the talent pool is of course smaller. But, well, all they could then is encouraging more children/youths to play football. They need to build up some sort of professional scouting system, if theirs ain't good enough at this point. Then help the most talented ones develop and bring them into one of the bigger leagues.

Only if they manage to do that, the national team can improve. Progresses like that got to start at the base, which is the football in the respective leagues at home. The national team should be the result of the good work there. Not the other way round.

How do you think Greece did it? How do you think basically EVERYONE is doing it?
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:22 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:16 is a good size considering the overall strength of football in Europe, and also has the added advantage of actually providing a path to the final that doesn't require ridiculous distinctions like only a fraction of third placed sides in the group making it through.
    It's a figure that works both from the point of view of the tournament structure and also for maintaining high standards.

I think it would soon rise again and possibly even give an unexpected winner on merit. What ranking did Greece have before they qualified and won it. Was there really that much difference between them and the seventeenth team in Europe?

Sure I'm being elitist, because I want the elite to be at a tournament.

And they will be.

I don't care where they come from, how big a country they are, how prestigious their footballing pedigree, I enjoy seeing a competition with as few weak links as possible. I'm not discriminating on size or any other issue, although smaller countries are at an obvious disadvantage, but as far as I'm concerned that is just their misfortune.

Why do people keep using the word discrimination as if I said it. I haven't. I never said anyone was discriminating on basis of size. I think the smaller nations need to gain experience and eventually the whole tournament will benefit from it. There is sufficient quality in Europe to justify it without a significant drop in quality.

If they can produce the quality then they will be good enough and welcome, regardless of size. Croatia may not be a typical small nation, but why should a typical small nation make it into the tournament if they aren't good enough as it is?

Because that same argument applied previously as well if you use it now. By it there should never have been any expansion. It should be the original four as in 1960. Not in top four you don't go. That is real elitism and guarantees top quality doesn't it?

That teams like Croatia can make it shows that population isn't a decisive factor. There have been a number of teams with relatively small populations who have done well over the years (Greece and Denmark being two who have won it, and yes I'm aware mentioning Denmark invites a valid response seeing as they weren't originally meant to be there).

They had some history, leagues, and pedigree. Bar Croatia, which really inherited Yugoslavia's position, no other small nation made it quickly. Greece took time and so did Denmark, which as you say did not deerve to be there on merit. My argument isn't based on population. I meant in football terms - teams that are not considered top drawer, but on the cusp of it. I don't think there is that much difference in quality between the 14th to 18th teams in Europe for example, possibly more.

I don't see a particularly strong argument for having 24 teams, and I don't think 'giving minor countries a chance' is a good enough reason on its own. Taking part in the final stages of the European Championship should be a privilege, and something that really requires quality and hard work, no matter which country it is. Nations shouldn't have an entitlement to be there, and that is one of the things I fear happening. I know how harsh what I'm saying sounds, but it's competition at it's fiercest. Yes, some countries are heavily disadvantaged because they have small populations, but they shouldn't be helped out just because of this, if they earn a place they will have deserved it, and I worry that with 24 places not enough of the additional 8 teams will have earned the right to be there. For those that are disadvantaged by population, that is just their misfortune, and something for them to overcome. Just my opinion, and as I've said, I think the high competitive level is one of the selling points of the EC over the World Cup. I don't want to see that go

No problem. We can disagree amicably. <Ale>
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:32 pm

Lesley wrote:EMP,

Excuse me?

They need help developing their own football in their own country? Their own talents? They only can help themselves there.

As anglo pointed out, there's the problem of the small population in comparison to for example Greece. So the talent pool is of course smaller. But, well, all they could then is encouraging more children/youths to play football. They need to build up some sort of professional scouting system, if theirs ain't good enough at this point. Then help the most talented ones develop and bring them into one of the bigger leagues.

Only if they manage to do that, the national team can improve. Progresses like that got to start at the base, which is the football in the respective leagues at home. The national team should be the result of the good work there. Not the other way round.

How do you think Greece did it? How do you think basically EVERYONE is doing it?

I think my argument is getting confused here. I am not for a moment suggesting that a nation like Andorra could do a Greece, but possibly a Macedonia or Slovenia could. Their players do play in better leagues and they have a talent pool to draw on. There are different objectives. Andorra need to get experience to get better. Their objective is to avoid defeat - not qualify. Then they look to nick a result, not qualify. The comparison to Greece was one of time to develop, not ability now. That should have been obvious. Where did I say that I thought Andorra could win if it was expanded to 24 teams immediately. They might eventually, but I doubt I will live to see it, but I hope to see them win a match in qualification.

I don't see great difference between Greece and Macedonia, or Serbia or even Scotland in terms of ability, any one of whom could potentially do a Greece. PLease can people stop implying that I was comparing Andorra to Greece in terms of ability. I plainly wasn't.
    Bashmachkin
    Bashmachkin

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2007-02-09

Post by Bashmachkin Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:02 am

For me, this is a very different issue than the one regarding the allocation of World Cup places.

There, with the focus on Africa in particular, we are dealing with nations (like Nigeria, the Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Egypt, and so on) whose players increasingly play top class football, and therefore with nations that are on the rise. We are not talking about changing the actual structure of any final tournament, we are just considering how to most fairly allocate places for the final tournament; essentially, we are talking (or at least I am) about relatively minor changes, giving two or three sides a chance to qualify for the finals, which is a chance they're not currently afforded.

I broadly support the idea of giving a few African teams, who finish second in their qualifying groups, the chance to qualify for the World Cup finals because I think there are a number of African countries with a lot of potential whose players are increasingly capable of fulfilling that potential. I think there are six or seven African teams who could take part in a World Cup finals without diminishing the quality of the tournament in any way. In general, it is arguable that it is clearer to distinguish between good and bad European teams than it is to distinguish between good and bad teams throughout the world - between teams who play in different ways and who rarely play each other or who rarely play similar opposition. And again, the World Cup is interesting because it does bring different teams and different styles together.

I am for giving flourishing nations, nations that are improving, nations that do possess some quality, the chance to expand and flourish properly. But I think 24 countries is too many for the European Championship finals to hold. I don't think Europe has that many quality teams anyway, incidentally - and teams tend to come good in cycles - if England, Norway, Serbia, whoever, struggle for a few years; if they have a poor batch of players; if they're not particularly inspiring to watch; then fair enough, there is no need for them in the European Championship finals these years; they'll come good in time and other countries will fade away; there will rarely be 24 quality teams in Europe at any one time, full stop. And for me, the move to a final competition comprising 24 teams will make for an uninteresting and pretty pointless qualification process; and it will make for an unwieldy, longwinded, inferior, less intense finals.
    Lesley
    Lesley

Number of posts : 886
    Supports : Hamburger SV, Manchester United, Germany
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by Lesley Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:09 am

EMP wrote:Their players do play in better leagues

Um. Yes. Exactly.
    And that's the point a country like Andorra needs to concentrate on: developing their talented young players professionally, so they'll have a chance to play in better leagues. This should result in developing the national team as well, because the players would get the important match practise in their every day football lives.

But bascially that's what I was already saying in the post you quoted. Am I talking Chinese here or something? scratch

You keep mentioning that Andorra managed to hold England at bay for some time during one match. Fine.

Wacker Burghausen (German third divison) managed to hold Bayern Munich at bay for 120 minutes during a DFB Cup match last season. Bayern only managed to beat them via penalty shoot-out. Does that mean, we should enlarge the Bundesliga, so Burghausen would theoretically have a better chance to play there some day?
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:08 am

For the last time I am NOT suggesting that expansion would mean Andorra would qualify for the finals even if expanded. For them losing 2-0 is progress from the thumpings they used to get. Expansion might result in Slovakia, or Slovenia or Serbia or Belarus qualifying. Can you please stop misrepresenting what I am saying. Where did I say that expansion would enable Andorra to qualify immediately? And where did I say that them losing 2-0 England meant that expansion should be done for them.

There are two separate points. For Andorra expansion doesn't matter. They need to compete in qualifiers to improve - something that at least one poster was against, but possibly in jest.

Expansion would benefit only the better teams that just miss out like Slovakia, Macedonia, Belarus, etc. I don't know how I can make this any clearer.
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:26 am

Lesley wrote:EMP,

Excuse me?

No they could be given coaching in the summer and get invited to train at better clubs in the off-season with better players - things like that could help them develop and ultimately they will get to play in better leagues that will help them develop as players and as a nation. They are not good enough to play at top level leagues yet - nowhere near it.

They need help in coaching, training etc - things that UEFA and FIFA provide to other federations and also the bigger federations. And not just Andorra. For example, the English FA has three partner FAs in Africa that they provide assistance to in developiong coaching and training and consequently their players too. It is part of the programme 'Winning with Africa.' Other European federations are part of this programme. Isn't that providing help to enable those players to become better and play in better leagues without them doing it by themselves? Countries like Andorra could benefit from that too. And with that I'm done with this topic. You don't agree with me - fine. It is no problem.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 2:20 am