Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
DS
TM
Pierre Littbarski
Axeslammer
Pras_tama
BoBo Vieri 32
Glenarch of the Glen
Super Progress
Batman
14 posters

How good is Diego Forlán?

Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

How good is Diego Forlán? Empty How good is Diego Forlán?

Post by Batman Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:23 pm

How good is Diego Forlán? 63683
    Date of birth: 19.05.1979 (age 29)
    Position: Forward

From Wikipedia:

Early career
    He was a promising tennis player in his youth, but when his sister, Alejandra Forlán, was involved in a car accident which killed her boyfriend and left her in intensive care for five months, he decided however to follow the family tradition and concentrate on football. He played for several South American clubs including Argentine side Independiente before transferring in January 2002 to play for Manchester United in England for a fee of £6.9 million.

Manchester United
    He made his debut for the team on January 29 against Bolton Wanderers but did not score his first goal for the club, a penalty, until September 18 in a Champions League game against Maccabi Haifa. It took him eight months and 27 games to score that first goal, to the extent that he was dubbed "Diego Forlorn" and "Diego Birtles" (after Garry Birtles, a former United striker who had flopped) for his goal drought by some quarters of the English press.

Forlán enjoyed the occasional purple patch of scoring, but inconsistency blighted his time at United. He was, however, noted for scoring important goals, such as the late equaliser at home to Aston Villa and the remarkable volleyed winner in the last minutes of the home game against Chelsea during United's Premiership-winning season of 2002-3. During this period, Forlán became known for characteristically removing his shirt and baring his torso in celebration of his goals. The first such example of this routine resulted in quite an amusing incident; Forlán whipped his shirt off in excitement after scoring a last minute winner against Southampton in December 2002 but struggled to get it back on in time for the re-start of play, resulting in the spectacle of Forlán briefly running around the Old Trafford pitch bare-chested, with his shirt still in his hand, then recovering the ball for his team. The referee soon stopped play and ordered Forlán off the pitch to get dressed.

He became a fan favourite in 2002 when he scored 2 goals against Liverpool in a 2-1 victory at Anfield.

How good is Diego Forlán? Forlan

Forlán's record of 17 goals from 95 appearances for the club does not compare favourably against his former team mate Ruud van Nistelrooy's 150 goals in 210 games, and it was widely thought that he would not start the 2004-05 season in the Red Devils' team colours. Wayne Rooney's arrival at the English club eventually signalled the end of Forlán's playing days at United.

Villarreal
    Forlán was strongly linked to a move to Spanish club Levante, but signed on 21 August 2004 with another Spanish club, Villarreal, where he became the Spanish 2004-05 season "pichichi" (top scorer) with 25 goals, helping Villareal to their first ever UEFA Champions League spot. He also jointly won the European Golden Boot award with Thierry Henry.

Atlético Madrid
    Forlán was linked to transfer with Juan Román Riquelme to Atlético Madrid in exchange for Luis Perea and money in June 2007. On June 30, 2007, Atlético Madrid confirmed that they had agreed a fee of around € 21 million.[1]. He returned to England in February 2008 to take part in Atletico's UEFA Cup clash against Bolton Wanderers (the club whom he made his Manchester United debut against), but the side lost out 1-0 on aggregate.

Year Team Apps (Gls)
    1998–2002 Independiente 80 (37)
    2002–2004 Manchester United 63 (10)
    How good is Diego Forlán? Dfjt6
    2004–2007 Villarreal 106 (54)
    2007– Atlético Madrid 45 (26)
    2002– Uruguay 51 (19)

SAF signed Forlan because he saw real potential in him, unfortunately it didn't work out for him at Man Utd. At that time we had the worlds best striker upfront, Ruud van Nistelrooy, and we were mainly playing 4-5-1/4-3-3. But i wouldn't consider him a flop like some people.

Anyway, since then, imo, Forlan has been a real hit in Europe. He has a really good goals to game ratio and gets a lot of assists too. So i was just wondering how does everyone else on here rate Forlan compared to the other top strikers in Europe?

I'm sure Sergio Agüero would say Forlan > Torres.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

How good is Diego Forlán? Empty Re: How good is Diego Forlán?

Post by Super Progress Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:27 pm

I wouldn't say Ruud was the best striker in Europe at the time but i get your point. For me is a really good player but with regards to scoring he is a bit like Rooney in that he tends to have streaks where it comes. compared to Torres i think Forlan is defo the smarter and talented player but Torres is more of consistent goalscorer(at least after he left spain). if i had to choose i would want Forlan because i like attackers that can also get involved in play.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:54 pm

Forlan is a good player but Fergie was wrong to sign him for the Premiership and he was unable to get the best out of him.

10 goals in 63 appearances, for a striker who wasn't particularly creative or high in the assists chart, is a terrible record for a someone playing in such an attacking side as Manchester United. He was without doubt a flop in the EPL.

Batman wrote:At that time we had the worlds best striker upfront, Ruud van Nistelrooy

lol!

Ruud was a great player but I think you're pushing it slightly. He was no Ronaldo.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:09 am

Going by how well he has done for atletico i would say he is better than Torres.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:22 am

Messiah wrote:Going by how well he has done for atletico i would say he is better than Torres.
    It depends on what you mean by better. Torres has been quite a goalscorer while Forlan is less reliable allthough he gives more to the rest of the team because he can go deep and help build play or run deep. he has been in quite good form recently. saw last week against Racing i think and he closed the match and follow with a good performance this week from what i read.

Oh and he was defo a flop for Man Utd. Can't think of many better examples of a flop. he got his first goal so late for a team that created soo many chances in a league that wasn't really great when he was there.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:35 am

Forlan is better at scoring goals too.

16 at highest amount of goals torres got in la liga

25 the highest amount of goals Forlan has gotten in la liga

19 the highest amount of goals forlan has gotten for Atletico.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:36 am

Messiah wrote:Going by how well he has done for atletico i would say he is better than Torres.

lol!

and the wind up merchant find a sidekick.

since when is how well a player does for Atletico the benchmark?

Torres has been in England for a season and has already scored twice as many goals as Forlan managed in 4 seasons.

His record in Spain wasn't exactly poor, particularly considering the players around him and the fact that he was just a kid.

Forlan had a great start in Spain, and is flavour of the month right now but let's not pretend he's anything other than that.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:42 am

Messiah wrote:Forlan is better at scoring goals too.

16 at highest amount of goals torres got in la liga

25 the highest amount of goals Forlan has gotten in la liga

19 the highest amount of goals forlan has gotten for Atletico.

or in simpler terms

Torres is better at scoring goals too.

In England and Spain (league only):

Torres P216 G111
    Forlan P214 G90

not to mention that Forlan is 5 years older than Torres
    Batman
    Batman

Post by Batman Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:43 am

my penis is ENORMOUS wrote:Forlan is a good player but Fergie was wrong to sign him for the Premiership and he was unable to get the best out of him.

10 goals in 63 appearances, for a striker who wasn't particularly creative or high in the assists chart, is a terrible record for a someone playing in such an attacking side as Manchester United. He was without doubt a flop in the EPL.

Batman wrote:At that time we had the worlds best striker upfront, Ruud van Nistelrooy

lol!

Ruud was a great player but I think you're pushing it slightly. He was no Ronaldo.

I disagree.

2002/03

Premiership
    1. Man Utd - 83 points
    2. Arsenal - 78 points

Forlan
    Appearances - 7(18.)
    Goals - 6
    Assists - 2

Man Utd 1-1 Aston Villa
    Diego Forlan's first Premiership goal rescued a point for Manchester United against Aston Villa.

Man Utd 2-1 Southampton
    A late winner from substitute Diego Forlan gave Manchester United a vital victory over Southampton at a sodden Old Trafford.

Liverpool 1-2 Man Utd
    Diego Forlan struck twice in two minutes as Liverpool succumbed to their first home defeat since before Christmas last year.

Man Utd 2-1 Chelsea
    Diego Forlan's injury-time winner kept Manchester United at the heart of the title race and left Chelsea stunned at Old Trafford.

Man Utd 2-0 Birmingham
    After dominating possession, a well-worked move and Diego Forlan's eighth goal of the season put the home side in control.

13 points won by Forlan to help Man Utd win the Premiership. ok

Forlan was 22 when he signed for Man Utd for £6.9 million. He wasn't a hit but because he helped Man Utd win the league i would not consider him a flop.

Henry, Ronaldo, etc... were considered better players than Ruud, but as a striker(finisher) Ruud is world class. He has proven this in 3 different leagues.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:50 am

ok

if you did the same for the other 3 seasons he was at the club you'll find the term Forlan missed a hatfull of chances on more than one occasion, you could say he cost United the title.

3 times.

As soon as Fergle got rid, United won the title.

Last edited by my penis is ENORMOUS on Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:50 am

Well like i said Torres has been a more consistent goalscorer in England then Forlan has been in Spain. anyway Torres has players like Petrov,Ibagaza,Simao,Maxi,Aguero but the problem was never that he didn't get chances. in fact he had several but he was very poor in scoring them or even delivering good performances.
    Forlan as soon as he got in Villarreal was impressive and got something like 25 goals in his first season and won joint golden boot along with Henry. Forlan unlike Torres was great against all sides no matter strength and did very well for Villarreal in the Cl where they reached the semi.

If you compare their record from when he joined Villarreal Torres has had 57 goals in the league while Forlan has had 55. so he is 2 goals off and like i already said Forlan isn't the most consistent goalscorer but he very much helps the team in a way that Torres never did.
    Batman
    Batman

Post by Batman Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:57 am

my penis is ENORMOUS wrote:ok

if you did the same for the other 3 seasons he was at the club you'll find the term Forlan missed a hatfull of chances on more than one occasion, you could say he cost United the title.

3 times.

As soon as Fergle got rid, United won the title.

Its ok to admit you were wrong, i won't look down on you.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:04 am

he was a flop Batty, if he hadn't been there you wouldn't have played with 10 men, someone else would have scored those goals, and more probably

Batman wrote:

Forlan was 22 when he signed for Man Utd for £6.9 million. He wasn't a hit but because he helped Man Utd win the league i would not consider him a flop.

Antonio Nunez helped Liverpool win the Champions League in the 2004/2005 playing in important wins over Olympiakos, Juventus, Leverkusen and Chelsea. Igor Biscan likewise. I'd still say these players were a flop, and however you try to spin it, Forlan was a flop too.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:06 am

my penis is ENORMOUS wrote:he was a flop Batty, if he hadn't been there you wouldn't have played with 10 men, someone else would have scored those goals, and more probably

Batman wrote:

Antonio Nunez helped Liverpool win the Champions League in the 2004/2005 playing in important wins over Olympiakos, Juventus, Leverkusen and Chelsea. Igor Biscan likewise. I'd still say these players were a flop, and however you try to spin it, Forlan was a flop too.
    Have to agree because you can't just selectively look at the titles won and point it to certain players. Reyes had a big part in winning La Liga for us because he got a couple of important goals but looking back we would prob have done better with someone who actually performed consistently.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:15 am

Batman wrote:

Henry, Ronaldo, etc... were considered better players than Ruud, but as a striker(finisher) Ruud is world class. He has proven this in 3 different leagues.

I agree. But he never was the best striker in Europe. He's no Ronaldo or Michael Owen.

anyway, in conclusion.

Forlan at Atletico - success
    Forlan at Villareal - success
    Forlan at Man Utd - flop
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:51 am

my penis is ENORMOUS wrote:
    Batman wrote:

I agree. But he never was the best striker in Europe. He's no Ronaldo or Michael Owen.

Laugh
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:54 am

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
    my penis is ENORMOUS wrote:
    Batman wrote:

Laugh
    I think he intentionally put him there since he is a liverpool boy just to spite Batman.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:54 am

I'm just fucking around about torres, but he did "flop" in La liga which is way none of the big Spanish clubs would spend big on him.

Forlan is a good striker nothing more.
    Pras_tama
    Pras_tama

Number of posts : 2101
    Supports : Manchester United & Indonesia NT
    Favourite Player : Scholes
    Registration date : 2008-11-28

Post by Pras_tama Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:52 am

If Forlan is given second chance in Premier league, which club will fit him in and will he be okay?
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:05 am

Forlan is a good B-class striker, just like Michael Owen Ale
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:48 pm

As two footed a player as I've ever seen and makes good runs, but not top class for me and he's not even Uruguay's best striker.
    TM
    TM

Number of posts : 21218
    Supports : PROGRESS!
    Favourite Player : Luis Figo
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by TM Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:50 pm

Dont tell me Cheva is Laughing
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:51 pm

how is Chevantón these days? Has he found a club yet?
    TM
    TM

Number of posts : 21218
    Supports : PROGRESS!
    Favourite Player : Luis Figo
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by TM Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:55 pm

Recoba > Forlan > Cheva
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:00 pm

Suarez > Recoba > Cavani > Forlan > Chevanton
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:06 pm

Forlan is a very intelligent striker , very good player not in the top bracket of course ,really like him.
    Batman
    Batman

Post by Batman Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:40 pm

my penis is ENORMOUS wrote:he was a flop Batty, if he hadn't been there you wouldn't have played with 10 men, someone else would have scored those goals, and more probably

Batman wrote:

It depends on what your expectations were of the player.

If you play a player out of position or don't give him games then he is going to look like a flop.

Forlan joined as a 4th/3rd choice striker and played well when he was given a run in the team, imo.

Thats why i don't think he was a flop.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:52 pm

Batman wrote:

I support Manchester United and fail to recognise any flaws in the club or it's personell

would be more honest.

Forlan was a flop. Voronin has a better record in England than him.
    Batman
    Batman

Post by Batman Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:01 am

Glennston Churchill wrote:
    Batman wrote:

I support Manchester United and fail to recognise any flaws in the club or it's personell

would be more honest.

Forlan was a flop. Voronin has a better record in England than him.

i can list you SAF sigings that were a flop, but that list would not include Forlan.

Do you think Voronin was a flop?
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:29 am

Perhaps you're too fond of Forlan too look at it clinically.

Forlan was a flop, I appreciate that you've convinced yourself that he wasn't, but your memory is failing you.

People didn't sign a 4th choice striker for £7m in those days. At that time they only player we had who cost more than £7m was Emile Heskey. For some EPL clubs now £7m would still be a transfer record.

In 4 seasons he cost you £700,000 per Premiership goal. That's not including wages and that fact that his inconsistency cost you 2 titles.

It took him EIGHT MONTHS to score his first goal.

The guy is the definition of a flop.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 1:57 am