Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+24
Football Genius
gone
A & K
Fade out
MauriceG75
Tom
L r dd
forza_rossi
Chocolate Thunder
debaser
Riviera
Yef
fcb
Axeslammer
Ricardo Jol
Six
Rosicky
Romford Pele
Deluded F*ck™
DeLux
Aristoskank
Kimbo
Fey
S4P
28 posters

Essien v Kuyt

Poll

Who is better?

[ 25 ]
    Essien v Kuyt - Page 3 Bar_left40%Essien v Kuyt - Page 3 Bar_right [40%] 
    [ 38 ]
    Essien v Kuyt - Page 3 Bar_left60%Essien v Kuyt - Page 3 Bar_right [60%] 

Total Votes: 63
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Essien v Kuyt - Page 3 Empty Re: Essien v Kuyt

Post by Aristoskank Mon May 18, 2009 8:43 pm

Ade wrote:Was in Stamford Bridge in the group stages back in 2005 when we played the, Essien nearly broke Hamann's leg that night...

Essien v Kuyt - Page 3 TackleEssienITV_228x183

Hamann said: "It was the worst tackle I have experienced in my career. I really feared that I might have broken my leg."

Sure, Essien's done a couple of horror tackles and I've been there shouting 'ban the filthy n***er scum!' with the rest, but I've seen Dennis Bergkamp elbow people in the face, doesn't stop him being probably the best playmaking striker I've ever seen.
    L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

Post by L r dd Mon May 18, 2009 8:56 pm

Only mentioned it because sometimes it's like people dislike certain players for their attitude, ego, arrogance...but then go and praise and laud Essien while forgetting leg breaking tackles are a lot worse than those things. But if it's about his ability fair enough. I enjoy watching him for Ghana more he seems to have more freedom but still a great player for Chelsea. Not top 10 in the world IMO.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Mon May 18, 2009 9:00 pm

Stimulus Package wrote:
    kas wrote:
    I don't agree with your 2nd and 3rd questions. What is a "midfield general" - a box to box player? Considering not every top team needs one, who are we really comparing Essien with? Or is it just someone who controls/leads/organises their team's midfield, regardless of what style the team plays? In which case, Xavi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Essien.

I mean a player who is nominally a CM but who has responsibility for the entire midfield area.

Xavi? Don't make me laugh. As per everything with Barca, being able to pass the ball really accurately over 10-20 yards does not make you a world beater.

Ok, so name me the equivalent player for all the other top sides in the world? It could be said that Xabi Alonso has this job for Liverpool, and maybe Cambiasso for Inter, and perhaps at a stretch Ambrosini for Milan. Other teams have more specific roles for their midfielders...just because they don't have the generic role that Essien does, and he's the only one doing it, doesn't make him the best.

Ok, I know what you'll say, that Essien can do this kind of free role because he's so good, so he defines his own role on the field. It allows his coach to give him these responsibilities. But then it's basically what I'm saying, your question is flawed. If there's nobody else playing in such a position, how can you say Essien is the best at it.

As for Xavi, I said clearly - if your question is referring to the key midfielder of a team, and how well he does his job, then Xavi is right up there. To simplify his passing proves to me that you don't know how important what he does is to what Barça achieve. In a passing team you want the best passer to be leading your midfield. In a physical running team, you want the best runner to be leading your midfield. So Xavi is as crucial to Barça as Essien is to Chelsea achieve.

As for his "excellent level of performance in unfamiliar roles", I'm pretty sure I remember him looking pretty lost in a couple of games last year when Grant played him at RB. Have a horrible memory so someone will need to look this up to confirm, but I think it was also in some big games. ie. opponents of high quality.

You half remembering something that may never have happened means nothing to me. Under Mourinho, the tactic whenever Chelsea needed a goal was to put on a wide player up front and move Essien to RB where he'd have more space to influence the game. It worked on numerous occasions.

More space to influence the game? By putting him further away from the centre of play and further away from goal? scratch
    Mourinho would put Essien there (rather than sub him) so as not to lose his athleticism (he can cover for the winger), and hope the extra attacking winger can lessen the potential impact of a makeshift RB. And what numerous occasions are these? I have a poor memory, so perhaps you can give me examples of when this kind of tactic worked for Mourinho.

It's also odd to say that the likes of Ronaldinho and Kaka don't consistently turn the tides in the very biggest games. They do it so many times, and in less subtle ways than Essien might. ie. goals and assists, which is what football is about.

Jesus fucking christ - yes, well done Kas, football is about scoring goals. However, it isn't just the player who scores or dribbles sideways who is most crucial in a goal being scored. This is really basic stuff.

My point here is to explain your question why more people don't think of him as the best. It's fucking simple, he doesn't regularly do what football is all about.
    I know that Essien adds a lot to the midfield that can prevent goals being scored (thus winning matches), and indirectly create goals being scored (thus winning matches), but by saying he "turns the tide" more consistently than magicians like Ronaldinho or Kaka, who change games with one kick of their boots, is nonsensical.

And Essien doesn't have to deal with double marking, triple marking, defenders kicking the shit out of him, or opposition managers spending several days leading up to the match re-configuring their defensive system to stop him.

Essien has had to deal with being outnumbered in midfield, funnily enough.

Read what I said. Does he have 2 people run close up to him, one of them kicking his ankle, every time he receives the ball? His power running wouldn't really help him much then. If he has 2 in front of him, he can pass it back or sideways and keep the play going, because he's in a central area. As a midfielder, no one would question him too often when he's doing that.

Ronaldinho would be on the left flank close to goal, and if he does something like that, everyone would say he's having an off night because he keeps passing it backwards.
    Being the focus of the opposition team's defensive game makes a big difference in how much influence you are able to have

Also, he came back from injury a few weeks after Hiddink took over - yes he performed well instantly, and yes he added some missing drive and a real spark to their midfield, and also scored a key goal against Juve. But we can't say for sure because the other variables are not the same. ie. Hiddink's methods and freshness had already gone some way to improving the team.

Chelsea start well - Essien gets injured - Chelsea go shit - Essien comes back - Chelsea become good again.
    It's not rocket science.

Chelsea performed well for a good few weeks even after he was injured. In fact, there was probably more correlation between Deco's injury/lack of form (and Scolari having no Plan B when he was done) and Chelsea's poor form, than Essien.
    And as I said, they were already improving under Hiddink even when he got back.
    Like you said, it's not rocket science

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a phenomenal player...but if you are to rate him as the best, I find TS' logic more sensible.

I don't.

Fair enough. Then I guess we have made our stances clear.

Last edited by kas on Mon May 18, 2009 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Mon May 18, 2009 9:01 pm

Stimulus Package wrote:
    S4P wrote:He played poorly at CB when we had Terry & Carvalho out. His only poor display at RB from what I can remember was the 1st half of the CL final. Considering it's not his natural position I think he performed superbly in that role in all the other games.

Anyone else remember him bombing up the wing from RB against Valencia in the 90th minute of that CL quarter-final? The man's energy levels are just ridiculous.

You mean Essien's capable of impacting at a critical moment on a big game despite playing in an unfamiliar position? Something Leo Messi, supposedly the most gifted player the world has ever seen and already an all-time greatest player, has never done?

You do surprise me...

Laughing

Look, I think you implied in the Chelsea-Barça threads that you don't watch Barça week in week out. So the less you talk about Messi and Xavi, the better.

And for the record, Messi was absolutely brilliant playing as a CF against Madrid in the 6-2 when they were supposedly going to continue another massive comeback by winning and closing the gap to 1 point to Barça.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Post by Aristoskank Mon May 18, 2009 9:21 pm

Even when he's on the left he comes inside so much that CF is basically his natural position. Demolishing this Madrid side is no great accomplishment.

Point is, I've consistently seen Essien influence the biggest games (including scoring goals) regardless of whether he's played as a DM, CM, RM, RB, whereas I've yet to see Messi come close to doing that.

Try to make out he's primarily an athlete who only indirectly helps the attack all you like, it just illustrates your partiality.
    Tom
    Tom

Number of posts : 12185
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tom Mon May 18, 2009 9:23 pm

Stimulus Package wrote:Even when he's on the left he comes inside so much that CF is basically his natural position. Demolishing this Madrid side is no great accomplishment.

Point is, I've consistently seen Essien influence the biggest games (including scoring goals) regardless of whether he's played as a DM, CM, RM, RB, whereas I've yet to see Messi come close to doing that.

Try to make out he's primarily an athlete who only indirectly helps the attack all you like, it just illustrates your partiality.
    Exactly. Even fucking Benayoun scored against Madrid with a header. He has the flimsiest head going.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Tue May 19, 2009 6:33 am

Predictable response. The point is not that Madrid are shit (btw, do you know who was the Valencia LB in that match when Essien scored from the right? The (in)famous Del Horno Laughing ) but that it was a game of massive pressure. A Clasico is easily equivalent to, if not higher than, a CL quarterfinal in the "big-game" rankings. And that's before you factor in the momentum and media pressure that Madrid had in their favour going into the game.

Stimulus Package wrote:Even when he's on the left he comes inside so much that CF is basically his natural position.
    This makes no sense whatsoever. Even when he cuts inside, to call CF his "natural position" is just wrong.

Again, watch him regularly, and compare it to the Madrid game, where he started his runs from the middle, positioned himself in the middle, and when he got the ball or was looking for a pass, he ran centrally rather than diagonally like he does when cutting in from the flank.

--------

I'm not trying to make out that Essien is primarily an athlete...I'm trying to highlight his strongest point, the one that makes him the player he is. Just like Ronaldinho's tricks or Kaka's close control. and shooting.

And what partiality is my argument illustrating? Partiality towards Barça? scratch
    I only mentioned Xavi in this thread as a very specific example of a different type of "midfield general", and Messi was brought into the discussion by you, because you wanted to once again state your (mostly wrong) opinion that he doesn't perform in big games.

If you mean partiality towards all the other players that I think are better than Essien, then yes, I'm being partial Rolling Eyes

Again, I'm not anti-Essien in the slightest. However much I rate Yaya Toure, if I could swap Essien for him in Barça's midfield, I'd go for it instantly.

I just think Essien is someone who everybody would put in their "best world 11", but nobody would put in their "top 5 players in the world". Fair play to you for trying to get Essien more recognition, but I think he already gets all the credit he deserves.

To get back on topic for the thread, Essien clearly > Kuyt.
    MauriceG75
    MauriceG75

Number of posts : 51
    Supports : AZ, Arsenal, Barcelona,
    Favourite Player : Ruud van Nistelrooy, Robin van Persie, Xavi, Iniesta
    Registration date : 2009-05-12

Post by MauriceG75 Tue May 19, 2009 6:51 am

Essien V Kuyt, Mmmm, not a really good comparision.

Essien is a DM and Kuyt is an attacker or midfielder with attacking and scoring abilities. Essien is very good and Kuyt too.

I cant make a choice. They are both players who never give up.
    Kuyt has his best season till now at Liverpool.

You could better make the comparision between Kuyt and Lampard.
    Fade out
    Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
    Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Fade out Tue May 19, 2009 7:13 am

Yaya's height is important. Farca suffer enough from setpieces with midgets in the team. Yaya's heading ability is much higher than Essien. Look how he lets Cristiano last year Finals, or Bendtner in the recent game against Arsenal. Apart from headers, Essien is superior. But Yaya isn't far off. He is very very good.
    A & K

Number of posts : 3347
    Registration date : 2006-08-12

Post by A & K Tue May 19, 2009 7:44 am

Yep both players don't have the same position. Both are excellent player but only Essien is world class IMO.
    gone
    gone

Number of posts : 3455
    Supports : Steaua
    Favourite Player : Radoi, Ogararu, Nicolita, Iniesta, Edin Dzeko
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by gone Tue May 19, 2009 8:43 am

Gattuso (when on form) is better then Essien.
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Number of posts : 7743
    Supports : Liverpool
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Football Genius Tue May 19, 2009 10:17 am

Cirque du Barcelona wrote:Gattuso (when on form) is better then Essien.

lol!

Gattuso has the technical ability of a mule! hes just a work horse..
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Tue May 19, 2009 11:31 am

S4P wrote:Sorry fey, looks like you're about to lose this one Ale

Laugh Doh
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Tue May 19, 2009 11:32 am

Well there have been 21 people who've voted for Essien and 5 people + 31 fey accounts who've voted for Kuyt. So technically, I'm right. So technically, shut up bobo Rolling Eyes
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Tue May 19, 2009 11:41 am

S4P wrote:Well there have been 21 people who've voted for Essien and 5 people + 31 fey accounts who've voted for Kuyt. So technically, I'm right. So technically, shut up bobo Rolling Eyes

No need to get so worked up S4P! Essien 21 v Kuyt 36. Live and learn!

At least you've stopped crying about the Barca match.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Post by Aristoskank Tue May 19, 2009 11:55 am

kas wrote:Predictable response.

Given your evident admiration for predictable responses, I'll take that as a compliment.

The point is not that Madrid are shit (btw, do you know who was the Valencia LB in that match when Essien scored from the right? The (in)famous Del Horno Laughing ) but that it was a game of massive pressure. A Clasico is easily equivalent to, if not higher than, a CL quarterfinal in the "big-game" rankings. And that's before you factor in the momentum and media pressure that Madrid had in their favour going into the game.

I disagree, the point that Madrid are shit is of immense relevance to judging how impressive Messi's performance was.

Stimulus Package wrote:Even when he's on the left he comes inside so much that CF is basically his natural position.
    This makes no sense whatsoever. Even when he cuts inside, to call CF his "natural position" is just wrong.

Well he isn't a winger, because he doesn't go outside and cross. He isn't an AM, because he plays up front. I suppose you could call him a split striker, which these days most CFs are.

Again, watch him regularly, and compare it to the Madrid game, where he started his runs from the middle, positioned himself in the middle, and when he got the ball or was looking for a pass, he ran centrally rather than diagonally like he does when cutting in from the flank.

--------

I'm loving how you turn 'sideways' into 'diagonally' to make it sound like Messi does more attacking that reality shows.

I'm not trying to make out that Essien is primarily an athlete...I'm trying to highlight his strongest point, the one that makes him the player he is. Just like Ronaldinho's tricks or Kaka's close control. and shooting.

Ronaldinho without his height physical strength would be, well, Messi, i.e. a considerably lesser player. Kaka without his speed and energy likewise.

And what partiality is my argument illustrating? Partiality towards Barça? scratch

Partiality towards rating attacking players of greater technical ability as being more important than midfield players of greater athletic ability. I think it's a naive partiality given the state of contemporary football.

I only mentioned Xavi in this thread as a very specific example of a different type of "midfield general", and Messi was brought into the discussion by you, because you wanted to once again state your (mostly wrong) opinion that he doesn't perform in big games.

Xavi is not a midfield general. As I've said many times, I've yet to see Messi really perform in a big game. Your twisting of my words because you're so protective of your sideways dribbling, one dimensional midget skill and control merchant speaks volumes for your inability to actually deal with the arguments at hand.

If you mean partiality towards all the other players that I think are better than Essien, then yes, I'm being partial Rolling Eyes

You claim players like Ronaldinho and Kaka can change the game with one swipe of their foot. Technically, anyone who scores a goal has done so with one swipe of their foot (including Essien's goals vs Arsenal, Valencia and your lot) so not only does your argument betray your very limited appreciation of the game, it's also utter fucking nonsense.

Again, I'm not anti-Essien in the slightest. However much I rate Yaya Toure, if I could swap Essien for him in Barça's midfield, I'd go for it instantly.

I just think Essien is someone who everybody would put in their "best world 11", but nobody would put in their "top 5 players in the world". Fair play to you for trying to get Essien more recognition, but I think he already gets all the credit he deserves.

To get back on topic for the thread, Essien clearly > Kuyt.

Essien has influenced more big games that I've seen than Messi has. That's another reason to consider him a better player. We can keep going with this if you like, but since your explanations are bollocks and you've yet to refute a single point I've made (rather, you just repeat ad tedium that you disagree) I'm getting a bit bored to be honest.

Post by Guest Tue May 19, 2009 1:11 pm

lol!

every body rate essien, but the best player in the world my ass

he isn't even close and man isn't even the best midfielder in the world

he is probably the most complete midfielder in the game, but that is debatable, since though he scores, he doesn't do it often enough, not just in the "big games", but in every game, a game where chelsea in down 1-0 away to west brom and they really need a point, my money would probably be on lamps scoring and he is just as likely to score against milan in the CL the other week.

now for "the big games", what big game as essien himself affected in a positive manner for his club/country

was it the ACN final,NO
    Was it the CL final,NO
    Cl SM,NO
    WC game against italy or brazil,NO
    Was it a big game in the ELP, YES

the man is a player that most teams would love to add their thier XI, because of the things he brings to a midfield,

but would milan trade kaka for him

maybe C.Ronaldo

Maybe Ibra

Maybe rooney
    Maybe iniesta
    maybe Xavi
    Maybe Messi
    Maybe Hiquain

none of the teams would trade their "regular" match winner for essien and the hope that he will score in a big game and the fact that he can play in most positions on a football pitch, so can iniesta.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Post by Aristoskank Tue May 19, 2009 1:54 pm

Essien scored a belting goal in the CL semi just a few days ago. Have you already forgotten?

Dunno if he played against Brazil in the WC, but Kaka did and was shit, Ronaldinho did and was shit. It doesn't surprise me that the most offended at the suggestion Essien is better than their players are Barcelona fans...

Post by Guest Tue May 19, 2009 2:03 pm

did that have a positive effect on the result for Chelsea

NO

what did that goal mean for Chelsea

absolutely nothing

at least when the likes of kaka and dinho score/assit in the CL SM their team goes on to win.

their actions had a positive effect on the outcome of a game, that's what players like them do, they decide games.

they don't just score a wonder goal, that means nothing in the grand scheme of things.
    Rosicky
    Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
    Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
    Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky Tue May 19, 2009 2:08 pm

Stimulus Package wrote:Essien scored a belting goal in the CL semi just a few days ago. Have you already forgotten?

Which he managed to cancel out by gifting Barca the equaliser Wink
    S4P
    S4P

Post by S4P Tue May 19, 2009 2:14 pm

Milan may swap Kaka for Xavi & Iniesta but not Essien? Laughing

Do you think they'd swap Kaka for Biscuits too?

Post by Guest Tue May 19, 2009 2:24 pm

S4P wrote:Milan may swap Kaka for Xavi & Iniesta but not Essien? Laughing

oh my god your so funny Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

where did i say that

biscuits better that any midfield chelsea have produced in years
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Tue May 19, 2009 2:28 pm

Messiah wrote:

oh my god your so funny Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

where did i say that

Messiah wrote:

maybe C.Ronaldo

Maybe Ibra

Maybe rooney
    Maybe iniesta
    maybe Xavi
    Maybe Messi
    Maybe Hiquain

none of the teams would trade their "regular" match winner for essien
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Tue May 19, 2009 2:29 pm

I've got to say, i would take Essien over any midfielder in the world, you can even include the mighty Kaka in that if you want.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Tue May 19, 2009 2:33 pm

As an aside, I'm curious...apart from Terry and Mancienne, who's the most recent Chelsea youth product who is a regular first team player (at any club, not necessarily just Chelsea).

Not a windup, just wondering because I was trying to think of someone but couldn't come up with any names. Wiki is no help either.

Post by Guest Tue May 19, 2009 2:33 pm

borocooper wrote:
    Messiah wrote:

where did i say that

Messiah wrote:

maybe C.Ronaldo

Maybe Ibra

Maybe rooney
    Maybe iniesta
    maybe Xavi
    Maybe Messi
    Maybe Hiquain

again where did i say milan would trade kaka for iniesta/xavi

what i said was none of these clubs would trade their regular match winner for ESSIEN

but since you what an answer, no milan wouldn't trade kaka for xavi/iniesta.

but barca wouldn't trade them for kaka either

i'm sure if the chlelsea fans are honest with themselves, they would trace a essien for kaka
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Tue May 19, 2009 2:37 pm

Messiah wrote:
    borocooper wrote:
    Messiah wrote:

where did i say that

Messiah wrote:

maybe C.Ronaldo

Maybe Ibra

Maybe rooney
    Maybe iniesta
    maybe Xavi
    Maybe Messi
    Maybe Hiquain

again where did i say milan would trade kaka for iniesta/xavi

what i said was none of these clubs would trade their regular match winner for ESSIEN

but since you what an answer, no milan wouldn't trade kaka for xavi/iniesta.

but barca wouldn't trade them for kaka either

i'm sure if the chlelsea fans are honest with themselves, they would trace a essien for kaka

S4P never said, that you said "would"..he said "may"....you said they maybe would swap for those two players.
    Tom
    Tom

Number of posts : 12185

Post by Tom Tue May 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Probably wouldn't trade Essien for Kaka. Essien is proven in the Premierleague and the Champions League. He's established himself as not only the best midfielder in the club, but also in England and there aren't many clubs out there that wouldn't like to have him on their books.

When Kaka scores a left footed volley from 20 yards against Barcelona in a Champions League final despite playing in a holding role, come back to me.
    Riviera
    Riviera

Number of posts : 5411
    Favourite Player : Iniesta, Hangeland
    Registration date : 2007-04-11

Post by Riviera Tue May 19, 2009 2:43 pm

Kimbo wrote:I've got to say, i would take Essien over any midfielder in the world, you can even include the mighty Kaka in that if you want.
    ok

Essien is like three kaka's!
    S4P
    S4P

Post by S4P Tue May 19, 2009 2:46 pm

kas wrote:As an aside, I'm curious...apart from Terry and Mancienne, who's the most recent Chelsea youth product who is a regular first team player (at any club, not necessarily just Chelsea).

Not a windup, just wondering because I was trying to think of someone but couldn't come up with any names. Wiki is no help either.

Carlton Cole?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 3:59 pm