Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
lih88
Kimbo
bluenine
Antarion
debaser
Kroos
L r dd
Ricardo Jol
Glenarch of the Glen
Calidad
14 posters

Argentina - Will they or won't they?

Poll

Will they make WC 2010?

[ 13 ]
    Argentina - Will they or won't they? Bar_left52%Argentina - Will they or won't they? Bar_right [52%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Argentina - Will they or won't they? Bar_left20%Argentina - Will they or won't they? Bar_right [20%] 
    [ 7 ]
    Argentina - Will they or won't they? Bar_left28%Argentina - Will they or won't they? Bar_right [28%] 

Total Votes: 25
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Argentina - Will they or won't they? Empty Argentina - Will they or won't they?

Post by Calidad Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:18 pm

Argentina - Will they or won't they? Capt.e326f15438504ebf9f10a5312ebb361b.argentina_wcup_soccer_edb110

Argentina - Will they or won't they? Argentinaaimarmessi610x

Argentina - Will they or won't they? Argentinakunmessi410x

Argentina - Will they or won't they? Argentinapipita

Argentina - Will they or won't they? Arg6

I say yes.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Argentina - Will they or won't they? Empty Re: Argentina - Will they or won't they?

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:26 pm

if they don't finish in the qualification places they'll be in a play-off against Costa Rica or Honduras

so, er

Yes?
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Argentina - Will they or won't they? Empty Re: Argentina - Will they or won't they?

Post by Ricardo Jol Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:30 pm

yes... How the hell can they not..? the playoffs are a farce too... South American qualies are sooooooooo tad easy!
    Calidad
    Calidad

Post by Calidad Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:34 pm

I don't think they are easy, and I'd hazard a guess that the European nations would struggle if they were placed in the South American qualifiers. It is a lengthy and gruelling campaign played in a multitude of different environments all invariably with hostile atmospheres.

I already think it's a shame that a nation like Uruguay will not be in the WC with players like Suarez, Forlan, Gargano, Rodriguez, Cavani, will not be at the WC. Columbia for all their problems have some talented players too who will be missing out.
    L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

Post by L r dd Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:41 pm

What a load of bollocks it's the top 5 teams out of 10 and Peru don't seem to want to ever try and qualify so 5 from 9 isnt easy?

I'm sure good european teams and players will be missing out too so what.

Argentina probably will qualify but i hope not. People need a reality check on their overated asses. And to Glenn they could finish 6th and miss out that way Biggrin. Here's hoping Peru pull off the biggest upset and leave them needing victory in Uruguay.
    Kroos
    Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
    Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
    Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:48 pm

i dont care, they are no danger for us
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:55 pm

Calidad wrote:I don't think they are easy, and I'd hazard a guess that the European nations would struggle if they were placed in the South American qualifiers. It is a lengthy and gruelling campaign played in a multitude of different environments all invariably with hostile atmospheres.

I already think it's a shame that a nation like Uruguay will not be in the WC with players like Suarez, Forlan, Gargano, Rodriguez, Cavani, will not be at the WC. Columbia for all their problems have some talented players too who will be missing out.

Surely difficult away games = easy home games. It can't be hostile for both teams can it?!

It is a long campaign & lots of travel, esp for those based in Europe. But 50% qualify, which is far better than anywhere else.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:58 pm

you more or less only have to win your home games to qualify. Put Portugal in that group they would already be through, in Europe they're struggling to make the play-offs.

Plenty of great teams and players miss out on big tournaments, better men than Forlan and co have and will miss out.
    Antarion
    Antarion

Number of posts : 3382
    Supports : Germany, Bayern
    Favourite Player : Müller, Neuer and Schürrle
    Registration date : 2008-04-11

Post by Antarion Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:04 pm

If they dont qualify, there will be no world champion next year.

No european team has won a WC outside of europe, no confed cup winner has won the WC thereafter, that leaves Argentina to the big 4 theory.

theories cheers <Ale>
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Post by Ricardo Jol Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Antarion wrote:If they dont qualify, there will be no world champion next year.

No european team has won a WC outside of europe, no confed cup winner has won the WC thereafter, that leaves Argentina to the big 4 theory.

theories Argentina - Will they or won't they? Icon_cheers Argentina - Will they or won't they? F_ale

conclusion: England can win it this time!
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:11 pm

I really hope Argentina qualify - the world cup will be poorer without them in it. For me, there are 4-5 nations that must be there to add the significance/atmosphere at the World Cup. The usual suspect are Brasil, Italy, Germany and Argentina. Plus the team of the moment, which this time happens to be Spain.

The WC will lose some of its shine if any of these 5 nations don't make it. They define the WC for me.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Post by Calidad Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:16 pm

Jay Glenno wrote:you more or less only have to win your home games to qualify. Put Portugal in that group they would already be through, in Europe they're struggling to make the play-offs.

Plenty of great teams and players miss out on big tournaments, better men than Forlan and co have and will miss out.

It was only a friendly, but when Portugal went over to play Brazil they got hammered like 6-1 or something.

Obviously I can't back it up with fact, but I just think the European nations would get a big shock in WC qualifiers in South America if they thought they were in for an easy ride. WC2002, Brazil were in a similar situation to Argentina now, just about qualified and the rest is history for that WC.

Like I say, South America doesn't have it's San Marinos, Luembourgs et al, even 'weaker' nations like Venezuela and Boliva are now fairly tough opponents.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:20 pm

If they don't qualify then they aren't good enough and we won't miss them. I said the same when England failed to qualify for the euro's. So basically, i don't give a shit.
    L r dd

Post by L r dd Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:20 pm

bluenine wrote:I really hope Argentina qualify - the world cup will be poorer without them in it. For me, there are 4-5 nations that must be there to add the significance/atmosphere at the World Cup. The usual suspect are Brasil, Italy, Germany and Argentina. Plus the team of the moment, which this time happens to be Spain.

The WC will lose some of its shine if any of these 5 nations don't make it. They define the WC for me.

Yeah but not for a lot of people.

I only share your sentiment with Germany and Brazil.
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Post by Ricardo Jol Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:22 pm

Calidad wrote:
    Jay Glenno wrote:you more or less only have to win your home games to qualify. Put Portugal in that group they would already be through, in Europe they're struggling to make the play-offs.

It was only a friendly, but when Portugal went over to play Brazil they got hammered like 6-1 or something.

Obviously I can't back it up with fact, but I just think the European nations would get a big shock in WC qualifiers in South America if they thought they were in for an easy ride. WC2002, Brazil were in a similar situation to Argentina now, just about qualified and the rest is history for that WC.

Like I say, South America doesn't have it's San Marinos, Luembourgs et al, even 'weaker' nations like Venezuela and Boliva are now fairly tough opponents.

But weaker nations are irrelevant. when you have two or three strong nations in your group you can be fucked! In South America you don't have that element in it!

Germany for instance can lose against Russia so they have to play play-offs to let say France or Portugal. There is a possibility they lose the play-offs so they are not present at the WC while they had a superb qualifying campaign... (well almost superb then...)
    Calidad
    Calidad

Post by Calidad Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:29 pm

Ricardo Wetzel wrote:
    Calidad wrote:

But weaker nations are irrelevant. when you have two or three strong nations in your group you can be fucked! In South America you don't have that element in it!

Germany for instance can lose against Russia so they have to play play-offs to let say France or Portugal. There is a possibility they lose the play-offs so they are not present at the WC while they had a superb qualifying campaign... (well almost superb then...)

But generally the stronger nations in Europe all expect to qualify in first place their groups. Portugal will be missing out because they've fucked up, not because Denmark/Sweden/Hungary are particularly that strong. Russia are decent, but were overhyped by the English press after beating England (much like Croatia) - i.e Germany are stronger. Netherlands walked their qualification group.

The only groups which were ever going to prove difficult for the top nations (even in good form) were Serbia for France, who for me are actually a very good side, and Bosnia/Belgium/Turkey in Spain's group, but currently Spain have a 100% record.

The playoff system can obviosuly be difficult, but it's generally a result of the top nations underperforming, rather than the overall difficulty of their qualification groups. And even then which genuine top nations look like they're actually going to be in the qualifiers? Only France and maybe Portugal, the others look to have pretty much already secured a first spot berth.
    Antarion
    Antarion

Post by Antarion Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:44 pm

Its still a fact that if we lose in russia, we lost one game total and still have to face play offs, which can be mental. Whereas in SA you can qualify with 6 losses.
    I agree that there are no rubbish teams in SA, especially away matches are tough, but it still doesnt feel that hard for a good nation to make it with 50% of the teams qualifying.

If you are in a group like portugal, england or spain this year and only one team qualifies...thats ugly.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Post by Calidad Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Antarion wrote:Its still a fact that if we lose in russia, we lost one game total and still have to face play offs, which can be mental. Whereas in SA you can qualify with 6 losses.
    I agree that there are no rubbish teams in SA, especially away matches are tough, but it still doesnt feel that hard for a good nation to make it with 50% of the teams qualifying.

If you are in a group like portugal, england or spain this year and only one team qualifies...thats ugly.

It also means Russia haven't been dropping points to anyone else in the group, so it clearly isn't all that competitive. All the nations in South America take points off each other.

I do understand the criticism of the 50% qualification, but I think it's just a recognisation of the quality of the sides that compete.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:16 am

Calidad wrote:
    Antarion wrote:Its still a fact that if we lose in russia, we lost one game total and still have to face play offs, which can be mental. Whereas in SA you can qualify with 6 losses.

It also means Russia haven't been dropping points to anyone else in the group, so it clearly isn't all that competitive. All the nations in South America take points off each other.

I do understand the criticism of the 50% qualification, but I think it's just a recognisation of the quality of the sides that compete.
    Argentina - Will they or won't they? F_ok

Why do EPL get 4 sides qualifying for CL, while some national leagues only get 1 or 2?? Its an extension of similar logic... I don't see anything wrong with it. Its not perfect, but its a good system. If anything, I think its UEFA who have their qualifying format wrong.... they should have a pre-qualifier, and get only the top 20-25 nations playing in their main qualifiers... then you will also have 40-50% of the teams qualifying, the level of competition will be much higher, etc.
    lih88
    lih88

Number of posts : 23
    Supports : Россия
    Registration date : 2009-10-08

Post by lih88 Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:29 am

With Maradona - never
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:01 am

Hope they will, but on the other hand would love those marketeers to have a Messi & Ronaldo less WC.
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Post by Ricardo Jol Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:29 am

Calidad wrote:
    Ricardo Wetzel wrote:
    Calidad wrote:

But generally the stronger nations in Europe all expect to qualify in first place their groups. Portugal will be missing out because they've fucked up, not because Denmark/Sweden/Hungary are particularly that strong. Russia are decent, but were overhyped by the English press after beating England (much like Croatia) - i.e Germany are stronger. Netherlands walked their qualification group.

The only groups which were ever going to prove difficult for the top nations (even in good form) were Serbia for France, who for me are actually a very good side, and Bosnia/Belgium/Turkey in Spain's group, but currently Spain have a 100% record.

The playoff system can obviosuly be difficult, but it's generally a result of the top nations underperforming, rather than the overall difficulty of their qualification groups. And even then which genuine top nations look like they're actually going to be in the qualifiers? Only France and maybe Portugal, the others look to have pretty much already secured a first spot berth.
    You can say the same thing what you said about portugal for argentina.
    Argentina fucked their campaign not because the other nations are that strong and still they'll qualify. While portugal is still vey insecure.

Also, 6 a 7 out of 8 european nations always play a qf of the wc .

Belgium and turkey both once reached the sf of wc so they are small countries.

Its unique that many european countries now won all their games. Only twice france, czechia and west-germnay did that in the past.
    lampiao007
    lampiao007

Number of posts : 1164
    Supports : SL Benfica
    Favourite Player : Pablo Aimar

Post by lampiao007 Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:00 pm

Portugal fucked up, because we have a clueless manager. You can apply the same to Argentina. A team that draws at home with Albania and only manages a 2-1 win against the same team away on the 93rd minute of a game, because of ridiculous decisions on players placement (Pepe as DM, Guga, and a few more) deserves not to go anywhere.

Even if we trash Hungary and Malta, we may not make it
    Khadrim
    Khadrim

Number of posts : 1719
    Supports : Fulham soft spot for Liverpool, Newcastle, Wolfsburg, Rubin Kazan
    Favourite Player : Paintsil, Barry, Iniesta, Ozil
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by Khadrim Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:42 pm

In defence of Maradona, He has lost to two altitude games ( and Ecuador's Goalkeeper should've been sent off), away to Paraguay and Brazil.

The reason Argentina are in trouble are the results under Basile. Drawing to Peru, and at home to Paraguay, Ecuador, as well as losing away to Colombia.

I agree he isn't a good manager but in the way he panics during the game and constantly makes changes. He should get Roy Hodgson as an advisor (never makes subs) . I am not convinced by the argument of he picks poor players is enough of a flaw. Every team has players that supporters cannot understand the inclusion of. Otherwise I just think he has been unlucky.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:42 pm

lampiao007 wrote:Portugal fucked up, because we have a clueless manager. You can apply the same to Argentina.

That means France and Holland must be *really* talented Shocked

They have even worse managers than Argentina & Portugal do Ale
    Khadrim
    Khadrim

Number of posts : 1719
    Supports : Fulham soft spot for Liverpool, Newcastle, Wolfsburg, Rubin Kazan
    Favourite Player : Paintsil, Barry, Iniesta, Ozil
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by Khadrim Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:49 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    lampiao007 wrote:Portugal fucked up, because we have a clueless manager. You can apply the same to Argentina.

That means France and Holland must be *really* talented Shocked

They have even worse managers than Argentina & Portugal do Ale

I think France are lucky that Romania are also having a shocking time. Othrewise it would be much more of a stuggle
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:07 pm

Argentina vs Uruguay is going to be an amazing game!!! I hope Equador lose, coz I want both of these sides to go through to the WC!!

Here are Argentina's possibilities for the final round of World Cup qualifying:

-If Argentina win, they will qualify for the World Cup

-If Argentina draw and Ecuador don't win by five goals, Argentina will qualify for the World Cup

-If Argentina draw and Ecuador win 5-0, Argentina enter the playoff

-If Argentina lose and Ecuador don't win, Argentina enter the playoff

-If Argentina lose and Ecuador win, Argentina will be eliminated from the World Cup.
    L r dd

Post by L r dd Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:09 pm

After the luck last night. It's only fair Ecuador and Uruguay progress.
    Antarion
    Antarion

Post by Antarion Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:07 pm

Can't see Ecuador winning in Chile unless Chile do an England.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 11:31 am