Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
Khadrim
COTR
DeLux
Pierre Littbarski
TITO
L r dd
Dwarf
Super Progress
TM
Dualist
Luis
Glenarch of the Glen
debaser
Deluded F*ck™
fcb
Aristoskank
Batman
Torrente
22 posters

"Rafa sacrificing league to land foreign job"

Torrente
    Torrente

Number of posts : 5489
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

"Rafa sacrificing league to land foreign job" Empty "Rafa sacrificing league to land foreign job"

Post by Torrente Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:01 pm

Ronnie Whelan has accused Rafael Benitez of prioritising the Champions League in order to secure a job abroad, and the Liverpool legend also believes the manager's "days are numbered" at Anfield.

Speculation is surrounding Benitez's position once more after Liverpool were defeated 3-1 by Fulham on Saturday. The loss at Craven Cottage was the club's sixth in seven games in all competitions and leaves them nine points off top spot with 11 games played.

With the score at 1-1, Benitez substituted Fernando Torres to general bemusement and later admitted that he had done so with Wednesday's Champions League game against Lyon in mind as the striker had been nursing a groin injury.

Whelan has used the incident as evidence for his theory that Benitez has already abandoned the league - a situation that would not sit well with Liverpool fans as Manchester United aim for a record 19th title this season.

"It's all gone wrong with the manager and he's shown exactly where his priorities lie,'' Whelan told RTE Television. "He wants to win the European Cup so he can get a job in Europe. For me, his days have got to be numbered at Liverpool.

"He's taken players off who are the only players who are going to give you a chance of winning the game. And he drags them all off because he's got a game on Wednesday.

"When I saw the team I thought he's not bothered about this game. He's putting all his eggs in one basket and I can't see why he's done it."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=692820&sec=england&cc=5739

affraid
    Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

"Rafa sacrificing league to land foreign job" Empty Re: "Rafa sacrificing league to land foreign job"

Post by Batman Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:06 pm

he should go to milan, then sign Torres.

Pato and Torres, nice......
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

"Rafa sacrificing league to land foreign job" Empty Re: "Rafa sacrificing league to land foreign job"

Post by Aristoskank Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:10 pm

Benitez is trying to lose the league so it increasing his chances of another job?

Doesn't make much sense to me.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:17 pm

Stupid theory...surely by winning the league with Liverpool after 20 years, Benitez will become much more attractive to clubs all around the world, considering he's achieved mostly everything in 2 of the top leagues in the world?

Who the f@ck is Ronnie Whelan anyway?
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:25 pm

A member of the old boot room - his words carry a lot of weight with the rags over here, it's all over the back pages.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:33 pm

kas wrote:Stupid theory...surely by winning the league with Liverpool after 20 years, Benitez will become much more attractive to clubs all around the world, considering he's achieved mostly everything in 2 of the top leagues in the world?

Who the f@ck is Ronnie Whelan anyway
    ?

He was in the Liverpool team through the 80s, into the 90s. I just about remember him.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:49 pm

Gerrard, Aquilani, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Riera and Aurelio weren't rested, otherwise they'd have been on the bench. Does Whelan really think Rafa was resting N'Gog with Wednesday in mind?
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:57 pm

debaser wrote:
    kas wrote:Stupid theory...surely by winning the league with Liverpool after 20 years, Benitez will become much more attractive to clubs all around the world, considering he's achieved mostly everything in 2 of the top leagues in the world?

?

He was in the Liverpool team through the 80s, into the 90s. I just about remember him.

he was the main man in Liverpool's 80's side, the Xabi Alonso unsung hero type. His understudy Jan Molby is somehow better known that him these days.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:59 pm

Glenbriel Obertan wrote:
    debaser wrote:

?

he was the main man in Liverpool's 80's side, the Xabi Alonso unsung hero type. His understudy Jan Molby is somehow better known that him these days.

Don't forget that football in England started in 1992. Whelan probably played very little after that point, while Molby was around a bit longer..
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:16 pm

Biggest load of rubbish I've heard about our club in this past month. And that's saying something.

Rafa hasn't prioritised the CL in a good few years and when he did it was because he knew and we all knew our squad wasn't good enough to go the 38 games in the league. He gambled on a cup competition where it's much easier to get that bit of luck that takes you through.

IMO the CL game this week is just as important as the Fulham game was or any league game for that matter if not more. We need to go through in this group to keep faith and to gain financially. It would be unthinkable to miss out on the revenue considering the state our club is in. And to be honest the CL is a special competition to Liverpool fans, we've had our greatest nights under Rafa in it and probably some of the greatest nights in our history, it would be a disaster if we were to get knocked out at the group stage.
    Dualist

Number of posts : 408
    Registration date : 2009-09-15

Post by Dualist Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:35 pm

Twisted logic this. Press, refs, and injuries have all combined to destabilize Liverpool so much. Sad
    TM
    TM

Number of posts : 21218
    Supports : PROGRESS!
    Favourite Player : Luis Figo
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by TM Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:38 pm

Torrente wrote:

"It's all gone wrong with the manager and he's shown exactly where his priorities lie,'' Whelan told RTE Television. "He wants to win the European Cup so he can get a job in Europe. For me, his days have got to be numbered at Liverpool.

So England isn't in Europe now? lol!
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:57 pm

What a stupid theory. How can anybody be that stupid?
    Is anybody in England debating whether or not he is right?
    Dwarf

Number of posts : 7502
    Supports : Operation Puerto
    Favourite Player : Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Dwarf Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:12 pm

Super Higuain wrote:What a stupid theory. How can anybody be that stupid?
    Is anybody in England debating whether or not he is right?

Even putting aside everything else, he said that on a Republic of Ireland TV channel no one in the UK has access to and unless I'm mistaken I can't remember seeing him doing punditry in the UK ever for that matter.
    L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

Post by L r dd Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:33 pm

He's a Liverpool legend you have to respect his opinion on the matter.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:53 pm

L r dd wrote:He's a Liverpool legend you have to respect his opinion on the matter.
    Not if it is fucking stupid. You think he has a point?
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:55 pm

It's Leetard Erm
    L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

Post by L r dd Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:57 pm

Super Higuain wrote:
    L r dd wrote:He's a Liverpool legend you have to respect his opinion on the matter.
    Not if it is fucking stupid. You think he has a point?

If Liverpool didn't have Lyon in midweek i suspect it'd have been a different team and he'd have done different things, so to an extent yes.

@ TS...Eh what?
    Dualist

Post by Dualist Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:02 pm

If one of your ex-Real greats come down on Pellegrini accusing him to have saved Cristiano Ronaldo for CL, would you consider that right? This is a blatant fabrication.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:25 pm

Dualist wrote:If one of your ex-Real greats come down on Pellegrini accusing him to have saved Cristiano Ronaldo for CL, would you consider that right? This is a blatant fabrication.
    Im sorry I don't quite follow. What is a fabrication?

Also don't get your first question because the question is whether Benitez is aiming for a european job and this was the reason for his choices against Fulham.
    TITO
    TITO

Number of posts : 3155

Post by TITO Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:35 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sca7Zbsh_U

That was a great goal, i remember it like it was yesterday.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:36 pm

I don't think our foreign posters quite understand how it works with our press and Benitez.

They loathe him.

You won't ever see Sralix Ferguson mocked up as a dead bird or a root vegetable in one of our papers that's for sure.

The Times at least made the point on Saturday that Benitez is the top 4 manager who is "outperforming his wage bill" but other than that its all negative.

Anthony Kastrinakis wrote a "match report" in the Sun last year after Liverpool actually won a game (at Pompey) which was just an attack on Benitez.

It was he who wrote today's article - Carragher got a 5, Torres 7 and everyone else got 0.

They are always talking about how Benitez has been "bailed out" by Gerrard or Torres but you never heard of Sralix being "bailed out" by ronaldo or Rooney.

If he loses he is shit - if he wins he is lucky.
    Dualist

Post by Dualist Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Super Higuain wrote:
    Dualist wrote:If one of your ex-Real greats come down on Pellegrini accusing him to have saved Cristiano Ronaldo for CL, would you consider that right? This is a blatant fabrication.
    Im sorry I don't quite follow. What is a fabrication?

Also don't get your first question because the question is whether Benitez is aiming for a european job and this was the reason for his choices against Fulham.

I referred to this stupid theory as fabrication. Whelan was probably asked to criticize Benitez personally. This happens all the time in Production houses. Rte is one of the strangest at work. They don't take sides and irrevocably "attack" people.

Btw I was referring to another Real Madrid fan Lrdd.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:07 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:I don't think our foreign posters quite understand how it works with our press and Benitez.

They loathe him.

You won't ever see Sralix Ferguson mocked up as a dead bird or a root vegetable in one of our papers that's for sure.

The Times at least made the point on Saturday that Benitez is the top 4 manager who is "outperforming his wage bill" but other than that its all negative.

Anthony Kastrinakis wrote a "match report" in the Sun last year after Liverpool actually won a game (at Pompey) which was just an attack on Benitez.

It was he who wrote today's article - Carragher got a 5, Torres 7 and everyone else got 0.

They are always talking about how Benitez has been "bailed out" by Gerrard or Torres but you never heard of Sralix being "bailed out" by ronaldo or Rooney.

completely true. Rafa isn't charismatic, he doesn't lose his temper, he doesn't really offer anything for the media to get their teeth into. Wenger is similar in the fact that his press conferences can be pretty guarded but he has learned to play the game. Managers like Roy Hodgeson and Harry Redknapp are real media darlings because they will make them self available and give candid interviews. Avram Grant had the same problem, and it goes some way to explaining why Fabio Capello doesn't get the kind of fuss made of him that perhaps he should.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:09 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:I don't think our foreign posters quite understand how it works with our press and Benitez.

They loathe him.

Assuming you are right why is this happening? I mean Liverpool is well liked club from what I understand or I gues you are saying it is a direct attack on Benitez.

I could figure it has something to do with him never doing great in EPL and that for long people thought he would rather want to win the Cl then premiership.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:15 pm

Glenbriel Obertan wrote:
    completely true. Rafa isn't charismatic, he doesn't lose his temper, he doesn't really offer anything for the media to get their teeth into.

Except outlandish conspiracy theories about referees and the FA. And near constant criticism of referees. And a lot of excuse making.

No doubt Benitez gets much more criticism than Fergie and Wenger, but don't kid yourself that it is because he doesn't play the game. His 'facts' press conference was one of the most premeditated, staged PR strategies you will ever see in your life.
    Dualist

Post by Dualist Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:17 pm

Glenbriel Obertan wrote:

They loathe him.

completely true. Rafa isn't charismatic, he doesn't lose his temper, he doesn't really offer anything for the media to get their teeth into. Wenger is similar in the fact that his press conferences can be pretty guarded but he has learned to play the game. Managers like Roy Hodgeson and Harry Redknapp are real media darlings because they will make them self available and give candid interviews. Avram Grant had the same problem, and it goes some way to explaining why Fabio Capello doesn't get the kind of fuss made of him that perhaps he should.

Avram Grant suffered, hands-down, the worst witch-hunt I could remember of. Concur with whatever you say. But I think Wenger is a spin doctor, conniving and contriving the press. He is good at deflecting attention from his shortcomings.

Benitez will learn to deal this by experience.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:21 pm

Stimulus Package wrote:
    Glenbriel Obertan wrote:
    completely true. Rafa isn't charismatic, he doesn't lose his temper, he doesn't really offer anything for the media to get their teeth into.

Except outlandish conspiracy theories about referees and the FA. And near constant criticism of referees. And a lot of excuse making.

No doubt Benitez gets much more criticism than Fergie and Wenger, but don't kid yourself that it is because he doesn't play the game. His 'facts' press conference was one of the most premeditated, staged PR strategies you will ever see in your life.

you are an idiot and have no clue as to the PR strategies I have seen

thanks for stalking, come again wave
    DeLux
    DeLux

Number of posts : 4399
    Supports : Celta Vigo
    Favourite Player : Mostovoi, Xavi, David Silva, Valerón, Raúl
    Registration date : 2006-08-10

Post by DeLux Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:24 pm

Dualist wrote:
    Glenbriel Obertan wrote:

They loathe him.

Avram Grant suffered, hands-down, the worst witch-hunt I could remember of. Concur with whatever you say. But I think Wenger is a spin doctor, conniving and contriving the press. He is good at deflecting attention from his shortcomings.

Benitez will learn to deal this by experience.

That prize goes to Alain Perrin.
    Dualist

Post by Dualist Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:27 pm

Alrighty. I did exaggerate.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 9:36 pm