Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+30
christmasborocooper
Kroos
Kimbo
Chocolate Thunder
Antarion
Sheffield gunner
anglophileHedgehog
debaser
stinger
COTR
Di Caniooooo!
L r dd
Jaime
Juligen
d gorgeous one haz spoken
Axeslammer
Fey
blutgraetsche
Puro
TM
Super Progress
Ricardo Jol
bluenine
SuperMario
Six
Calidad
mongrel hawk
Barrilete
Pierre Littbarski
fcb
34 posters

WC2010 Round of 16 - Brazil vs. Chile

fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

WC2010 Round of 16 - Brazil vs. Chile Empty WC2010 Round of 16 - Brazil vs. Chile

Post by fcb Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:31 pm

Brazil (1G) vs. Chile (2H)
    Monday 28th June - 20.30 (local time)
    Johannesburg

All South-American matchup. Brazil destroyed Chile home and away in the qualifiers...have Bielsa's team learnt their lesson?
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

WC2010 Round of 16 - Brazil vs. Chile Empty Re: WC2010 Round of 16 - Brazil vs. Chile

Post by Pierre Littbarski Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:32 pm

1998 all over again !
    Barrilete
    Barrilete

Number of posts : 2336
    Supports : Club Atlético Boca Juniors
    Favourite Player : Maxi Lopez, aka, TWD (The White Drogba)

WC2010 Round of 16 - Brazil vs. Chile Empty Re: WC2010 Round of 16 - Brazil vs. Chile

Post by Barrilete Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:35 pm

Don't think so...Chile has 3 players that can not play the Brazil game because they received too many cards, so it'll be a patched-up Chile side that faces Brazil(not that it mattered anyway, they'd still loose IMO)
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
    Supports : Corinthians
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:20 pm

kas wrote:Brazil (1G) vs. Chile (2H)
    Johannesburg

All South-American matchup. Brazil destroyed Chile home and away in the qualifiers...have Bielsa's team learnt their lesson?

true. in fact, brazil destroyed all teams that really tried to attack and win. besides chile, italy (2-0, 3-0), argentina (3-1 away, 3-0 in copa américa), portugal (6-2 in a friendly), uruguay (4-0 away).

but lost 2-0 to Paraguay away, and had problems with defensive teams at home (venezuela and bolivia, 0-0, 0-0 at home).

my prediction, if chile plays like they played today against spain: 4-0.

the problem will be holland. they know how to defend and are unbeaten for a long time.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:40 pm

Brazil were slightly lucky agianst Chile in qualifying though, the scorelines definitely flattered them.

I can't see Chile winning either, Brazil to are too shrewd and cynical. Unfortunatlely I think Chile will probably outplay Brazil but get comfortably braten.
    Six
    Six

Number of posts : 4390
    Supports : Liverpool
    Registration date : 2009-01-14

Post by Six Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:54 pm

I predict we will be seeing quite a bit of yellow and red.

Cards as well as shirts.
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:03 am

I predict every single player on the pitch at least once pretends to be mortually wounded.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:55 am

mongrel hawk wrote:
    Johannesburg

true. in fact, brazil destroyed all teams that really tried to attack and win. besides chile, italy (2-0, 3-0), argentina (3-1 away, 3-0 in copa américa), portugal (6-2 in a friendly), uruguay (4-0 away).

but lost 2-0 to Paraguay away, and had problems with defensive teams at home (venezuela and bolivia, 0-0, 0-0 at home).

the problem will be holland. they know how to defend and are unbeaten for a long time.

No they don't... Van Bommel is the only one in that team who does Razz

Agree with you on the rest. This Brasil are built to destroy any team that attacks them... very much like some of the great Italian teams of the past... I cannot see Chile stoppin them... Holland have a great attack, so that game shoudl test the theory whether Brasil indeed are one of the great counter-attacking sides as we believe...

Brasil will find it tough against other good defensive sides... and maybe Argentina, if Maradona has enough sense to be pragmatic.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:39 pm

@blue

I think brazil is especially designed to beat spain, argentina, germany. not holland, england or... switzerland. maybe you are right, but from what I saw of holland they seem to be very solid marking.

the other day I was talking to a friend and we compared a possible brazil-spain with inter-barça in style. what do you think?
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:54 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:the other day I was talking to a friend and we compared a possible brazil-spain with inter-barça in style. what do you think?

I think there are some similarities between Brazil and the Inter in the 1st leg of the CL semifinal tie. But some things are different...for example, Inter played a relatively deep defensive line, whereas Brazil play quite high up the pitch. And of course Inter of the 2nd leg aren't like any team left in the World Cup, they would probably only be similar to North Korea in the first 55 mins of the group match against Brazil. On the other hand, Spain and Barça aren't really that similar, esp. the current Del Bosque confused version of Spain.
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Post by SuperMario Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:11 pm

Imo Brazil are vulnerable because of the space they give away behind their fullbacks. The DMFs and CDs do not provide cover as well as their Dutch counterparts do. I'm not saying we're better than Brazil, but in that department (everything to do with positional play) we are. Our defenders might not be world beaters individually, but we do defend well as a team. We'll give away very little.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:24 pm

Persistence wrote:Imo Brazil are vulnerable because of the space they give away behind their fullbacks. The DMFs and CDs do not provide cover as well as their Dutch counterparts do. I'm not saying we're better than Brazil, but in that department (everything to do with positional play) we are. Our defenders might not be world beaters individually, but we do defend well as a team. We'll give away very little.

true.
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Post by SuperMario Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:30 pm

let's just hope both our teams do their job, could be a great QF.

---

Think the Argies 'could' (depends on Diego) exploit your weaknesses too, they do have attacking width.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:35 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:@blue

I think brazil is especially designed to beat spain, argentina, germany. not holland, england or... switzerland. maybe you are right, but from what I saw of holland they seem to be very solid marking.

the other day I was talking to a friend and we compared a possible brazil-spain with inter-barça in style. what do you think?

Funny you say that, we were discussing the same thing at Interlist last month... yeah, there are a lot of similarities... Brasil play much like Inter, and Spain is kinda like a Barcelona without Messi... Brasil vs Spain, I will willing to bet will only end one way... WC2010 Round of 16 - Brazil vs. Chile F_ale2

Its a bit ironic, Inter have had such a strong Argie flavour in the last decade and yet we resemble Brasil more than anyone else...

Last edited by bluenine on Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:41 pm

bluenine wrote:
    mongrel hawk wrote:
    Johannesburg

Agree with you on the rest. This Brasil are built to destroy any team that attacks them... very much like some of the great Italian teams of the past... I cannot see Chile stoppin them... Holland have a great attack, so that game shoudl test the theory whether Brasil indeed are one of the great counter-attacking sides as we believe...

Brasil will find it tough against other good defensive sides... and maybe Argentina, if Maradona has enough sense to be pragmatic.

I agree with you Brasil are favourites against us although their defense is not much better than our defense as you say.. We don't have the best defenders but we have one of the best defensive records in the world for almost a decade now. Still, you and most of the people always bash our defense.

But then I can understand yo don't rate our defense because we have weaknesses up there but one thing I really don't understand is that you praise Argentina while their defense is the weakest from all teams that are in the second round.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:02 pm

Brazil has Juan-Lucio which is one of the most underrated CB pairing in the last many years. I struggle to mention another pair that has been as good as they have in International football. Maicon can be quite solid as well and this leaves Bastos who I don't trust. Add that Brazil have Silva-Melo protecting the defence and the team overall being well organised and it is hard to penetrate.

Holland does indeed have a good record so far but they haven't been too challenged either. If something will save Holland against Brazil it won't be their defence but their ability to keep the ball and whether or not their offensive players will actually turn up in this tournament because so far they have been weak. Holland has some parallels with Spain who come with a offensive young team in 2006 but were beat by the first smart team they met(France) but took the experience with them two years later and manage to overcome a similar opposition to France in Italy.

Holland too were the exciting team in 08 until they met a team not in transition as Italy and France were. Perhaps not that obvious a comparison and I would still be quite surprised to see Holland not go down to Brazil.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:16 pm

Ricardo Wetzel wrote:
    bluenine wrote:
    mongrel hawk wrote:
    Johannesburg

I agree with you Brasil are favourites against us although their defense is not much better than our defense as you say.. We don't have the best defenders but we have one of the best defensive records in the world for almost a decade now. Still, you and most of the people always bash our defense.

But then I can understand yo don't rate our defense because we have weaknesses up there but one thing I really don't understand is that you praise Argentina while their defense is the weakest from all teams that are in the second round.

Nah, Brasil's defense is much better than yours, mate. I am not saying your defense is bad, its just that Brasil IMO have best defense in the world. And two quality DM's protecting it. Holland's defense has been playing well, but I would like to see how it holds up against quality counterattacking teams... last time round, that was your undoing (Euro08)... and Brasil are the best counter attacking team there is...

Maybe your attackers save you if they have a great game against Brasil (and u have that capability) but IMO 8 times out of ten, Brasil will beat ya.

Re Argentina, its the talent rather than the performance that I am refering to... you can see me qualifying that sentence with a "maybe" and an "if". With the right defensive selection/discipline, Argies could ve been as strong as the brasilians.
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:19 pm

russia didn't beat us on the counter...

I haven;t say something about our defense is better ath Brasilian defense. I only see that also this "best defense in the world" give quite a lot chances away even against North Korea.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:37 pm

bluenine wrote:
    Ricardo Wetzel wrote:
    bluenine wrote:
    mongrel hawk wrote:
    Johannesburg

Nah, Brasil's defense is much better than yours, mate. I am not saying your defense is bad, its just that Brasil IMO have best defense in the world. And two quality DM's protecting it. Holland's defense has been playing well, but I would like to see how it holds up against quality counterattacking teams... last time round, that was your undoing (Euro08)... and Brasil are the best counter attacking team there is...

Maybe your attackers save you if they have a great game against Brasil (and u have that capability) but IMO 8 times out of ten, Brasil will beat ya.

Re Argentina, its the talent rather than the performance that I am refering to... you can see me qualifying that sentence with a "maybe" and an "if". With the right defensive selection/discipline, Argies could ve been as strong as the brasilians.

they could certainly be better. they have better players now. fact.
    TM
    TM

Number of posts : 21218
    Supports : PROGRESS!
    Favourite Player : Luis Figo
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by TM Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:57 pm