Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+46
Brian2468
gone
TheCrazy58
Pierre Littbarski
wassberg
Tarun
mongrel hawk
Romford Pele
Sheffield gunner
Rosicky
King Modric
TM
Cristiano
ERIK LAMELA
Ricardo Jol
Yef
Jaime
110%
the real white worm
Kimbo
The Easter Bunny
fcb
Deluded F*ck™
messiah
S4P
EMP
Fey
debaser
Lusitan
Luis
Puro
Antarion
Isco Benny
Fade out
Hlebagone
christmasborocooper
Pirlo
BoBo Vieri 32
Balls Grayson
Ä
abundance
Super Progress
bluenine
worms.
Kroos
Murray
50 posters

EURO 2012 Semi Finals

the real white worm
    the real white worm

Number of posts : 393
    Favourite Player : BALE, the real white pele
    Registration date : 2010-05-08

EURO 2012 Semi Finals - Page 14 Empty Re: EURO 2012 Semi Finals

Post by the real white worm Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:18 am

debaser wrote:
    worms. wrote:
    messiah wrote:also ronaldo is pique's bitch. a few times during the game he would start a run and see pique in that general position and change his run. fear is good
    pedro should start ever game he gives the team that cutting edge they are missing without villa.
    also hope no one is giving ronaldo a hard time with the pk.the best takers always take the 1st,3rd and 5th. its not his fault bruno missed

wouldn't have made a difference if ronaldo took the 1st penalty. Alves and Moutinho would still have missed and Spain would have still gone through.

I don't agree with that thinking. Penalties are a big part psychological. If Portugal put Ronaldo first and he scores, they would've been 1-0 up after 1 round, which changes the dynamics for the next takers (in particular, a lot more pressure on next Spain taker as they are playing catchup and another miss could well be fatal, whereas less pressure on Portugal players). When you need to score just to level up the scoreline, pressure is that much more intense and affects some takers, as I think it did Alves.

For example, I'd speculate in the England shootout that if Young had scored, Cole might well have done so too. Cole hit a crap penalty, but the momentum shift put a lot more pressure on him at that point - he needed to score to level it up and knew that a miss would give Italy the opportunity to win with the next kick.

Conversely in the Bayern-Chelsea shootout, Cole's penalty came right after Olic missed. Chelsea missed their first one but scored the next two and the Olic miss would've felt like a reprieve - suddenly momentum in their favour and Cole scores. Flip it round - say Olic missed Bayern's first penalty, but Mata missed the penalty before Cole & though the score would be the same, it would've felt a totally different situation (Chelsea would've been the one who just thrown away a leading position rather than Bayern) - in fact, much more like the England situation vs Italy.

Of course this is all unprovable as you can never rerun the whole situation again to test it..Best you could do is try and do some stats on past shootouts, calculate the probability of various scenarios, e.g. a player missing after a team-mate missed vs after a team-mate scored, and so forth.

Pirlo hit the most awesome penalty ever after Montolivo missed so i dont agree
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:33 am

Obviously it is not going to be universal - some players are able to remain completely cool under pressure - these are the best penalty takers. Just saying it seems for many players, momentum does affect them - why did Cole hit excellent penalty for Chelsea and a shit one for England? Scenario was the same - 4th penalty, 2nd taker, at 3-2 down in the shootout - but momentum was opposite (following an England miss and Italy goal vs Chelsea goal & Bayern miss).
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:34 am

It was a real shock to see Cole hit the penalty the way he did because he's far and away one of the best penalty takers we have.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:42 am

110% wrote:
    Disco Benny wrote:
    Sergio Vamos wrote:Nope not having that,you are just jealous because your 2 teams have won nothing of significance in your life time.

Young man, you are making the classic mistake of believing that the sole validation for supporting a team is how good they are at winning things.

That might be the overriding criteria that the likes of you and Jim-Jong-Kong the Man City supporter from China allow to dictate your allegiances, however for the rest of us it's for far more personal and pure reasons.

Spain is about as much "your" team as Manchester United is to a sheep shearing farmer in New Zealand. There is nothing to be jealous about here. The Spanish can be very proud of their team. The fact they have attracted vacuous bandwagon jumpers like moths to a flame isn't their fault Ale

I think you are being a bit harsh on Mr Kong from China here. There is not that much difference in how people in London choose teams like man united or liverpool to support and how people in China do it. It is about players they like, how the team plays and of course success is part of that (they are not going to choose to support Wigan fighting relegation every season over manu, man city, chelsea etc). They tend to have only one club and they stick with it, which is something worms missed in his banging on about culture and history BS. Basically one of the aspects of supporting a club is that other clubs are your rivals so it does not work to support 3 clubs in the same league. BTW There is also a lot of England supporters there, and England didn't win anything since 1966 so how exactly are they glory-hunters in this regard? Shouldn't they all be supporting, maybe spain, like worms?

Probably there are some gloryhunting c**ts in asia, but please don't insult them by comparing them all to worms.

I have no problem with Jim-Jong-Kong. Infact I rather like Jim-Jong-Kong, because he knows who and what he is, free of the delusion that he is above other gloryhunters Ale
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:49 am

worms voided himself as legitimate football fan whatever day he decided he supported both Barcelona and Valencia. It's not quite an Arsenal-Spurs rivalry, but it'd be like supporting Arsenal and Chelsea. I can accept supporting teams in multiple leagues, if you are so inclined, but that is just ridiculous behaviour
    the real white worm
    the real white worm

Post by the real white worm Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:56 am

but i like both of them o why cant i support both of them? theres no rule against it!
    abundance
    abundance

Number of posts : 1514
    Supports : FC Inter
    Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:56 am

worms. wrote:Pirlo hit the most awesome penalty ever after Montolivo missed so i dont agree
    Like we've never seen a Panenka before Rolling Eyes

Anyway, Pirlo's chip was indeed awesome because it was truly what was needed to swing the mood after a false start.

Which just highlight the importance of sending in your best shooter in the crucial moment of the shootouts.
    Problem is, you'll never know which turn will be crucial in advance, so there's not much to speculate about that.

Even first is a moving target as there's much difference between being first overall and first after the other team has shot (much much more pressure in the second case imho), and the coin toss come after you give the list.

The only thing with a bit of certainty is that the last one has less chances to be truly crucial.

If it was me, I'd generally give the 2nd and 4th slot to my best shooters.

And oh, even "best shooter" is a fluid definition, as it's not only about general reliability, balls and class but also about the particular mood and feel and tiredness at the moment. And then about who the keeper is.

For instance, I wouldn't blame Bento if he thought that he couldn't 100% trust his "OMG I'm sooo ballsy" superstar to face his own club's keeper (even if Ronaldo's bruteforce approach to set pieces relies more on mechanical execution rather than mindfucks with the opponent)

Said that, it's just a lottery drama. Even Alves' miss which we all were so sure to bet on was a matter of a couple centimeters.

Last edited by abundance on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
    the real white worm
    the real white worm

Post by the real white worm Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:58 am

the only other time ive seen it done is tottti in euro 2000. his one was sweet!
    abundance
    abundance

Post by abundance Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:10 pm

worms. wrote:but i like both of them o why cant i support both of them? theres no rule against it!
    I don't know why I bother restating the obvious, but the only problem here is your insistence into appropriating the 1st plural person when talking about your infatuations.
    That's generally accepted only if you stick to the rule that you can change everything in your life bar your mama and club.
    abundance
    abundance

Post by abundance Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:13 pm

worms. wrote:the only other time ive seen it done is tottti in euro 2000. his one was sweet!
    Apart from the original from Panenka, Zidane did it perfectly going just under the crossbar in regular time at WC 06 final (which is even more crazy cause if that kind of attempt goes wrong you're close to 0 chance of being offered a tap-in)
    the real white worm
    the real white worm

Post by the real white worm Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:17 pm

Not sure Zidane's one actually crossed the line but yeh i forgot about that one. has anyone ever done it and the keeper just stood there and caught it?
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:20 pm

worms. wrote:Not sure Zidane's one actually crossed the line but yeh i forgot about that one. has anyone ever done it and the keeper just stood there and caught it?

As a Barcelona fan, I expected you to know that:

the real white worm
    the real white worm

Post by the real white worm Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:22 pm

i guess joe hart didn't watch that video then lol!
    S4P
    S4P

Post by S4P Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:26 pm

He'd have done a good job to see that particular video, given that it was only uploaded on Tuesday (as were 3 other videos of it).
    worms.

Number of posts : 5010
    Supports : BALENCE, PROGRESS, Us(Liverpool), Us(Barcelona) ,Us(Lazio), Us(Napoli), Us(Athletic Club), Us(Valencia), Us(Zenit St Petersburg), Us(Russia), Us(Uruguay), Us(España)!
    Favourite Player : Goldado,Zlatan,Robben aka The Bald Prince, Busquets has now won the Euro's x1, World Cup x1, La Liga x3, UCL x2, Coppa DR x2, UEFA SC x2, Club World Cup x2. At the age of 23
    Registration date : 2011-12-07

Post by worms. Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:27 pm

worms. wrote:did anyone see that peice of skill that busquets did at the corner flag? and 110% still wants to call him average Laugh

Yep I seen that, totally skinned Pepe!

Show me a gif of Neville doing that.
    the real white worm
    the real white worm

Post by the real white worm Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:29 pm

S4P wrote:He'd have done a good job to see that particular video, given that it was only uploaded on Tuesday (as were 3 other videos of it).

Laugh the video did exist before tuesday though! i'ts not like the video suddenly came to life on tuesday! lol!
    the real white worm
    the real white worm

Post by the real white worm Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:30 pm

Sergio Vamos wrote:
    worms. wrote:did anyone see that peice of skill that busquets did at the corner flag? and 110% still wants to call him average Laugh

Yep I seen that, totally skinned Pepe!

Show me a gif of Neville doing that.

there is no gif of that! the only gifs of neville are of him getting bummed by beckham lol!
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:31 pm

Still, for however bad a failed Panenka appears,

nothing will ever beat this one as the WORST penalty. Ever

c**ts Ale
    worms.

Supports : BALENCE, PROGRESS, Us(Liverpool), Us(Barcelona) ,Us(Lazio), Us(Napoli), Us(Athletic Club), Us(Valencia), Us(Zenit St Petersburg), Us(Russia), Us(Uruguay), Us(España)!
    Favourite Player : Goldado,Zlatan,Robben aka The Bald Prince, Busquets has now won the Euro's x1, World Cup x1, La Liga x3, UCL x2, Coppa DR x2, UEFA SC x2, Club World Cup x2. At the age of 23

Post by worms. Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:33 pm

abundance wrote:
    worms. wrote:the only other time ive seen it done is tottti in euro 2000. his one was sweet!
    Apart from the original from Panenka, Zidane did it perfectly going just under the crossbar in regular time at WC 06 final (which is even more crazy cause if that kind of attempt goes wrong you're close to 0 chance of being offered a tap-in)

Perfectly? He was lucky not to miss ffs! He aimed for the middle of the goal and it went in off the bar.The only perfect thing he done in the final was his headbutt ffs!
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:35 pm

worms. wrote:
    S4P wrote:He'd have done a good job to see that particular video, given that it was only uploaded on Tuesday (as were 3 other videos of it).

Laugh the video did exist before tuesday though! i'ts not like the video suddenly came to life on tuesday! lol!

Did you exist as a Barcelona supporter back then?

Odd that you weren't aware of it, you'd think one would remember such a moment rather vividly.

Fade out
    Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
    Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Fade out Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:35 pm

abundance wrote:

ok Gave buffon 0% chance to save it.
    S4P
    S4P

Post by S4P Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:35 pm

worms. wrote:

The only video I have found of it on youtube that was uploaded before Sunday's game was "Barcelona-Milan friendly penalty shootout". It's understable that Hart didn't see that video, especially if he was just briefly searching for "Pirlo penalties".

However, in the last 2-3 days a number of videos have been uploaded with titles like "Pinto saves Pirlo chipped penalty" etc.
    S4P
    S4P

Post by S4P Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:37 pm

But as Bernd says, it's strange that someone who claims to see every Barcelona game wouldn't have seen such a memorable, emotional match as Ronaldinho's return to the Camp Nou. It was no ordinary friendly.
    the real white worm
    the real white worm

Post by the real white worm Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:37 pm

well i guess he didnt do his research very well then. Typical english - no brain, just lots of shouting and trying to be macho!

Last edited by worms. on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    worms.

Post by worms. Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:37 pm

S4P wrote:
    worms. wrote:

The only video I have found of it on youtube that was uploaded before Sunday's game was "Barcelona-Milan friendly penalty shootout". It's understable that Hart didn't see that video, especially if he was just briefly searching for "Pirlo penalties".

However, in the last 2-3 days a number of videos have been uploaded with titles like "Pinto saves Pirlo chipped penalty" etc.

He should have had a better knowledge of football history.
    worms.

Post by worms. Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:38 pm

S4P wrote:But as Bernd says, it's strange that someone who claims to see every Barcelona game wouldn't have seen such a memorable, emotional match as Ronaldinho's return to the Camp Nou. It was no ordinary friendly.

I did see it actually.
    S4P
    S4P

Post by S4P Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Sergio Vamos wrote:
    S4P wrote:But as Bernd says, it's strange that someone who claims to see every Barcelona game wouldn't have seen such a memorable, emotional match as Ronaldinho's return to the Camp Nou. It was no ordinary friendly.

I did see it actually.

Sorry, I realised that I was responding to glen/fey.
    the real white worm
    the real white worm

Post by the real white worm Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:43 pm

S4P wrote:
    worms. wrote:well i guess he didnt do his research very well then. Typical english - no brain!

Well if the biggest Barcelona fan on the planet had not seen the incident, I think we can forgive an arrogant young English goalkeeper.

You do also realise that by saying "typical English" you are in fact insulting yourself? As you say... no brain.

i do remember it, i just forgot about it.

how can i be insulting myself? im not a typical englander! Doh
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:49 pm

Dwight Yorke definitely did a panenka or two in the 90s, but can't find videos..

Zidane's in 2006 was pretty lucky. So nearly fucked it up (don't anybody even try and tell me he meant to put it in off the bar Wink )

obviously Panenka's was the best Panenka. Not only was it the original (or at least the one which made it famous), but it BEAT THE GERMANS cheers ON PENALTIES cheers cheers IN THE FINAL cheers cheers cheers Probably the most beautiful moment in the history of football Very Happy

---

For more joyful things, here's a couple of cocks messing it up:

the real white worm
    the real white worm

Post by the real white worm Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:50 pm

who will you support 2nite debaser?

Sponsored content