Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+19
Protheus
TM
Rez
Machiavel
DD
"Tuffy" Monag
Ricardo Jol
Axeslammer
toon h
Formerly known as sheva7
fcb
Pierre Littbarski
Kimbo
Murray
Calidad
Dejan Savićević
The Pröfessör
Parks lives
mongrel hawk
23 posters

best striker of the last 20 yeras?

Poll

best?

[ 1 ]
    best striker of the last 20 yeras? Bar_left2%best striker of the last 20 yeras? Bar_right [2%] 
    [ 0 ]
    best striker of the last 20 yeras? Bar_left0%best striker of the last 20 yeras? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 3 ]
    best striker of the last 20 yeras? Bar_left7%best striker of the last 20 yeras? Bar_right [7%] 
    [ 2 ]
    best striker of the last 20 yeras? Bar_left5%best striker of the last 20 yeras? Bar_right [5%] 
    [ 1 ]
    best striker of the last 20 yeras? Bar_left2%best striker of the last 20 yeras? Bar_right [2%] 
    [ 11 ]
    best striker of the last 20 yeras? Bar_left26%best striker of the last 20 yeras? Bar_right [26%] 
    [ 12 ]
    best striker of the last 20 yeras? Bar_left29%best striker of the last 20 yeras? Bar_right [29%] 
    [ 1 ]
    [ 11 ]
    best striker of the last 20 yeras? Bar_left26%best striker of the last 20 yeras? Bar_right [26%] 

Total Votes: 42
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
    Supports : Corinthians
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

best striker of the last 20 yeras? Empty best striker of the last 20 yeras?

Post by mongrel hawk Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:38 pm

if you think the best was someone who is not on the list, ask a mod to ad the guy and then vote.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

best striker of the last 20 yeras? Empty Re: best striker of the last 20 yeras?

Post by Parks lives Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:41 pm

Toughy. The Angel was probably my favourite but its hard competition with the likes of Romario, Ronaldo and Van Basten.
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by The Pröfessör Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:30 pm

Van basten - the best overall without a doubt.

90's - Romario, Ronaldo.

00's - Henry, sheva.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:21 pm

On the subject of the Angel, one of my favourite compilations ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pgWCXldwrM

ok
    Dejan Savićević
    Dejan Savićević

Number of posts : 2921
    Supports : A.C. Milan/Italy
    Favourite Player : Lionel Messi, Andrés Iniesta, Xavi
    Registration date : 2007-01-26

Post by Dejan Savićević Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:25 pm

Van Basten!!!
    L r d

Post by L r d Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:25 pm

romario or ronaldo, will go for romario due to the injuries ruining ronaldo's career.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:27 pm

Ronaldo
    Rosicky

Post by Rosicky Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:32 pm

i voted Romario
    S4P

Post by S4P Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:45 pm

No Shearer? scratch
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:47 pm

S4P wrote:No Shearer? scratch

Would you of voted for him?

I'd say its between Romario, Ronaldo, Van Basten and Batistua. I wouldn't consider any one else.
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Post by The Pröfessör Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:59 pm

Parks lives wrote:

I'd say its between Romario, Ronaldo, Van Basten and Batistua. I wouldn't consider any one else.

doesn't belong in the same category as the first 3.
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10245

Post by Murray Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:04 pm

What about Roberto Baggio?
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Post by The Pröfessör Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:08 pm

Murray wrote:What about Roberto Baggio?

ok

probably left out because he's more of a support striker?
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:15 pm

Ronaldo is head and shoulders above anyone else there IMO. After him there's Romario and Van Basten on the same level. Then after that there is quite a few in the same class, including Shearer who seems to have been ignored. <Ale>
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Post by The Pröfessör Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:17 pm

Kimbo wrote:Ronaldo is head and shoulders above anyone else there IMO. After him there's Romario and Van Basten on the same level. Then after that there is quite a few in the same class, including Shearer who seems to have been ignored. <Ale>

agreed, he should be in there too.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:39 pm

exactly, i'm talking about matadores, goal makers.

baggio was like pelé and maradona, a second striker coming from behind, a mixture of playmaker and goalmaker

Agooner wrote:
    Murray wrote:What about Roberto Baggio?

:k:

probably left out because he's more of a support striker?

Last edited by on Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:42 pm

funny how ronaldo is much more rated in europe than in brazil, while in romário's case it's quite the opposite.

probably because romário played more in Brazil than in europe.

Kimbo wrote:Ronaldo is head and shoulders above anyone else there IMO. After him there's Romario and Van Basten on the same level. Then after that there is quite a few in the same class, including Shearer who seems to have been ignored. <Ale>
    Calidad
    Calidad

Post by Calidad Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:48 pm

Romario was class, but wasn't capable of doing some of the things that Ronaldo has done

I don't think any player was
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:52 pm

I've gone for Ronaldo ok

He's starred in 2 Wc's (winning one of them) and can claim to have shit all over the best Italy, Spain and England can offer.

To include eto'o, henry, lineker, raul, rudi völler but not Shevchenko or Kluivert is ridiculous though.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:52 pm

and vice-versa IMO

Calidad wrote:Romario wasn't capable of doing some of the things that Ronaldo has done
    S4P

Post by S4P Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:53 pm

Parks lives wrote:

No, but that's not the point.

To have not included him (or the likes of Shevchenko as TS pointed out) is ludicrous.
    doninha

Post by doninha Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:55 pm

I voted Van Basten, but I'm not totally happy.

I would say:

- BEST CLASSIC STRIKER: VAN BASTEN

- BEST FORWARD: ROMÁRIO

, though both styles mean endless goals.

Last edited by on Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:57 pm

S4P wrote:
    Parks lives wrote:

No, but that's not the point.

To have not included him (or the likes of Shevchenko as TS pointed out) is ludicrous.

I wouldn't of included a few of those names, like Voller, Lineker, Henry, Eto'o.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:01 pm

Its Between Romario, Van Basten and Ronaldo for me but i can't decide which.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Post by Calidad Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:26 pm

todo wrote:and vice-versa IMO

Calidad wrote:Romario wasn't capable of doing some of the things that Ronaldo has done

Like what?
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:36 pm

like better finishing, passing and control of the ball. (not that ronaldo couldn't do that, but romário was just better on that).

besides, romário could often find a space between legs in the box.

as cruyff said: "romário is the genius of the small spaces".

Calidad wrote:
    todo wrote:and vice-versa IMO

Like what?
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:48 pm

00s - Etoo as well.

I voted Romario, mainly because I watched him a bit more than van Basten, and he was a goal machine. Simple.
    Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1899

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:22 am

First of all I didn't watch Van Basten playing regularly, only his highlights. I'm not able to talk about him.

Between Ronaldo and Romario I don't have any doubt, Romario was much better. Ronaldo was a phenomenon between 95-98, then he couldn't keep his level. Romario was much more consistent than him. Ronaldo had 3 or 4 goals drought per season, he couldn't score for five or six straight matches. Not to mention that while Ronaldo career was over (not officialy) at 29, Romario was the topscorer of the Brazilian League at 39. At 34 Romario was still a World Class player and one of the best strikers of the world. Romario also won a WC single-handedly and played well in all Brazilian matches unlike Ronaldo, who had several World Class players to help him and has gone missing against Belgium and England when Brazil came close to being eliminated.

Both enjoy the night. But only Romario doesn't let his behavior off the pitch drop the level of his performances.

Last edited by on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
    Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1899

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:31 am

Stefan Kuntz wrote:I've gone for Ronaldo ok

He's starred in 2 Wc's (winning one of them) and can claim to have shit all over the best Italy, Spain and England can offer.

To include eto'o, henry, lineker, raul, rudi völler but not Shevchenko or Kluivert is ridiculous though.

He also can claim that after playing for Barcelona, Inter and Madrid over 10 years he have won one major trophy and finished as the league top scorer only twice. I would expect more from the best striker of the past 20 years.
    toon h
    toon h

Number of posts : 8715
    Supports : FC Barcelona

Post by toon h Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:38 am

Messiah wrote:Its Between Romario, Van Basten and Ronaldo for me but i can't decide which.

the same for me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:46 am