Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+19
Protheus
TM
Rez
Machiavel
DD
"Tuffy" Monag
Ricardo Jol
Axeslammer
toon h
Formerly known as sheva7
fcb
Pierre Littbarski
Kimbo
Murray
Calidad
Dejan Savićević
The Pröfessör
Parks lives
mongrel hawk
23 posters

best striker of the last 20 yeras?

Poll

best?

[ 1 ]
    best striker of the last 20 yeras? - Page 2 Bar_left2%best striker of the last 20 yeras? - Page 2 Bar_right [2%] 
    [ 0 ]
    best striker of the last 20 yeras? - Page 2 Bar_left0%best striker of the last 20 yeras? - Page 2 Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 3 ]
    best striker of the last 20 yeras? - Page 2 Bar_left7%best striker of the last 20 yeras? - Page 2 Bar_right [7%] 
    [ 2 ]
    best striker of the last 20 yeras? - Page 2 Bar_left5%best striker of the last 20 yeras? - Page 2 Bar_right [5%] 
    [ 1 ]
    best striker of the last 20 yeras? - Page 2 Bar_left2%best striker of the last 20 yeras? - Page 2 Bar_right [2%] 
    [ 11 ]
    best striker of the last 20 yeras? - Page 2 Bar_left26%best striker of the last 20 yeras? - Page 2 Bar_right [26%] 
    [ 12 ]
    best striker of the last 20 yeras? - Page 2 Bar_left29%best striker of the last 20 yeras? - Page 2 Bar_right [29%] 
    [ 1 ]
    [ 11 ]
    best striker of the last 20 yeras? - Page 2 Bar_left26%best striker of the last 20 yeras? - Page 2 Bar_right [26%] 

Total Votes: 42
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

best striker of the last 20 yeras? - Page 2 Empty Re: best striker of the last 20 yeras?

Post by Axeslammer Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:04 am

doninha wrote:I voted Van Basten, but I'm not totally happy.

I would say:

- BEST CLASSIC STRIKER: VAN BASTEN

- BEST FORWARD: ROMÁRIO

, though both styles mean endless goals.

I completely agree ok

(I voted Romario btw)
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

best striker of the last 20 yeras? - Page 2 Empty Re: best striker of the last 20 yeras?

Post by Ricardo Jol Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:38 am

1 Romario
    2 Van Basten
    3 Ronaldo

Hey wait.... All are Eredivisie players! cheers !!!!
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
    Supports : Corinthians
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:29 am

very true. and, when Romário was 35, he was surely better than post-WC2002 Ronaldo.

Romário at 35 was still the best striker. the whole country was shocked when Scolari didn't call him in 2002. and he didn't call him for disciplinary reasons, because everyone knew, even Scolari, that he was the best we had at the time.

still, it's very strange that such a great player only played one WC as a starter. he could and should and deserved to be in the team in 1990 (sub), 1998 (half-injured, half kicked out by Zagallo), and 2002 (kicked out by Felipão).

and the best Brazil I've seen was the one between 1994 and 1998, when Romário/Ronaldo formed the most amazing attack. <Ale>

sheva7 wrote:Between Ronaldo and Romario I don't have any doubt, Romario was much better. Ronaldo was a phenomenon between 95-98, then he couldn't keep his level. Romario was much more consistent than him. Ronaldo

Last edited by on Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:33 am

Ronaldo's stats speak for themselves, I really don't see how you can criticise his scoring feats. For a player ravaged by injuries - injuries that could have quite easily been career ending ones, he's still gone on and performed (for the most part)

For sheer ability Romario wasn't on the same level. Ronaldo was able to run past players for fun. Fast, good finisher, skillful, powerful, strong, both footed, decent in the air. He's scared defenders shitless. Romario was/is like a classy poacher imo. Interesting that the Brasilians here, don't rate Ronaldo that much tho.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:44 am

I rate Ronaldo. I only think Romário was better.

Calidad wrote:Interesting that the Brasilians here, don't rate Ronaldo that much tho.

not only here. I guess the great majority of Brazilians think Romário was better.
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Post by Ricardo Jol Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:45 am

I rate Romario above Ronaldo in the first place he had more skills and especially he was/is a bit more creative with scoring goals! Romario was also very quick on the first meters so he had everything!!!!!!

Romario had a talent to CHOOSE his games! Games he didn't like he was walking on the pitch as a well paid tourist! But games that matters he was there, always!

Ronaldo was more a "normal" striker. He had superb, phenomenal periods but he also had very bad periods as a striker. He wasn’t only bad because of the injuries...

Romario was always good/excellent if he wanted to be excellent! That makes him a genius to me. He also was at best when he was very much under pressure. When he was two weeks late from holidays in Rio and the staff of PSV was furious. He made a few unbelievable goals and he silenced his criticisers...
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:52 am

that's why Felipão didn't call him. he didn't like that. he thought it could create a bad atmosphere among his team mates.

between, Romário once said he liked to have sex before the matches to feel lighter... Very Happy

the whole problem with Felipão bagan in a wc qualifying game against Uruguay in Monte Video. Romário brought a girl from the hotel staff to his room. since them, Felipão never called him again.

Ricardo Jol wrote:When he was two weeks late from holidays in Rio and the staff of PSV was furious. He made a few unbelievable goals and he silenced his criticisers...
    toon h
    toon h

Number of posts : 8715
    Supports : FC Barcelona

Post by toon h Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:01 am

I couldn't chose between Ronaldo, Romario and Van Basten so I chose Völler. Poor guy. He didn't have any votes yet.
    "Tuffy" Monag

Number of posts : 405
    Supports : SLB
    Registration date : 2007-01-03

Post by "Tuffy" Monag Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:24 am

toon h wrote:I couldn't chose between Ronaldo, Romario and Van Basten so I chose Völler. Poor guy. He didn't have any votes yet.

I remember Voller, isn't he most famous for being spat at by Ryjkaard? I wonder what he did to deserve such a thing.
    toon h
    toon h

Number of posts : 8715
    Supports : FC Barcelona

Post by toon h Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:38 pm

he was spat at. There were a number of alleviating circumstances that perhaps not entirely exonerate the Dutchman but that go a long way to explain the erratic behaviour.

- Völler was a German
    - Rijkaard had - two days previous to this match - lost his bike
    - Völler had taunted him by saying that he would only give his bike back if they let the Germans win
    DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC

Post by DD Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:41 pm

todo wrote:that's why Felipão didn't call him. he didn't like that. he thought it could create a bad atmosphere among his team mates.

between, Romário once said he liked to have sex before the matches to feel lighter... Very Happy

the whole problem with Felipão bagan in a wc qualifying game against Uruguay in Monte Video. Romário brought a girl from the hotel staff to his room. since them, Felipão never called him again.

Ricardo Jol wrote:When he was two weeks late from holidays in Rio and the staff of PSV was furious. He made a few unbelievable goals and he silenced his criticisers...
    Romario's most famous pick-up line: "I'm Romario, let's have sex." True.
    Made the nightclubs in Eindhoven (and everywhere he went) unsafe. Biggrin
    DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC

Post by DD Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:46 pm

doninha wrote: voted Van Basten, but I'm not totally happy.

I would say:

- BEST CLASSIC STRIKER: VAN BASTEN

- BEST FORWARD: ROMÁRIO

, though both styles mean endless goals.

todo wrote:like better finishing, passing and control of the ball. (not that ronaldo couldn't do that, but romário was just better on that).

besides, romário could often find a space between legs in the box.

as cruyff said: "romário is the genius of the small spaces".

Calidad wrote:
    todo wrote:and vice-versa IMO

Calidad wrote:Romario wasn't capable of doing some of the things that Ronaldo has done

Like what?
    ok Ale

Romario was unbelievable. I still shake my head in disbelief when people say that Maradona was the last WC player able to carry a team by his shoulders. They obviously haven't seen Romario play.

People are also obviously not remembering Van Basten playing. The most complete striker.

And that's not because I don't rate Ronaldo.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Machiavel Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:58 pm

Its between; Romario and Marco van Basten .. so close

Between 1985 - 94

Romario - 205 goals in 268 games (0.76)

= Vasco da Gama, PSV and FC Barcelona

van Basten - 218 goals in 280 games (0.77)

= Ajax and AC Milan

I voted for Van Basten .. no bias.
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Post by Ricardo Jol Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:03 pm

We believe you: No bias Henkie panky! Wink
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder

Post by Machiavel Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:09 pm

Ricardo Jol wrote:We believe you: No bias Henkie panky! Wink

Good to hear ok

The nickname is beginning to freak me out ...
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:09 pm

I think it's far from being an absurd to vote for basten. or for ronaldo.
    Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1899

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:26 pm

Calidad wrote:
    For sheer ability Romario wasn't on the same level. Ronaldo was able to run past players for fun. Fast, good finisher, skillful, powerful, strong, both footed, decent in the air. He's scared defenders shitless. Romario was/is like a classy poacher imo. Interesting that the Brasilians here, don't rate Ronaldo that much tho.

Like I said before, you described Ronaldo between 95-98. Then he never was the same again. I don't think that he is the best striker over the past 20 years just because he had three amazing years.
    doninha

Post by doninha Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:05 pm

todo wrote:that's why Felipão didn't call him. he didn't like that. he thought it could create a bad atmosphere among his team mates.

I think in his book, Scolari wrote that in the following friendly game Romário told he was injured to miss the call up...

... in the end I can't remember if he played a friendly game, or participated in a beach foot volley tournament, and Scolari says its why he never called him again.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:21 pm

maybe you're right. but the hotel episode in Monte Video is well know in Brazil. and the press seemed to think that was the reason. maybe the press was wrong.

doninha wrote:

I think in his book, Scolari wrote that in the following friendly game Romário told he was injured to miss the call up...

... in the end I can't remember if he played a friendly game, or participated in a beach foot volley tournament, and Scolari says its why he never called him again.
    doninha

Post by doninha Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:25 pm

todo wrote:I rate Ronaldo. I only think Romário was better.

Calidad wrote:Interesting that the Brasilians here, don't rate Ronaldo that much tho.

not only here. I guess the great majority of Brazilians think Romário was better.

The same for Portuguese and, I think, Dutch. It also has to do with the age of the fans (older fans still remember Romário playing in Europe).

I think what they most have in common is their lazyness. Romário prefers the good and simple things of life (banging girls, drink beer, going to the beach, play with his friends), while Ronaldo prefers the stylish (banging supermodels, shopping in Paris, dining in Moscow, make ads).

BUT, what we observe now is the ability Romário always had to not needing to train or put effort to be a World Class player (I remember when he went to Flamengo, or the club after, he started signing contracts where he only is obliged to play, not to train). Ronaldo, on the other hand, looses the phenomenon part of his ability.

!!O Baixinho is the greatest!!
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Post by Ricardo Jol Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:34 pm

@The Don

Spot on mate this is why I call you The Don.... ok

afro
    Rez

Number of posts : 3757
    Registration date : 2006-10-06

Post by Rez Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:09 pm

I voted Ronaldo, Romario was a better striker, but Ronaldo was a better player. Ronaldo could do anything, I have never seen a player (to young to have seen Maradonna in his prime) who was dangerous when he picked up the ball on the halfwayline. He had everything, a perfect player. Romario couldnt score the goals Ronaldo did, but Ronaldo could score the goals Romario did.

Ronaldo of 95-98 was the best player I have ever seen, he anhilated defenders in every league he played in. The reason Romario was still playing well at 35 was because firstly he didnt have 4 years of injury and a crocked knee and his game doesnt need pace.

Romario has been more consistent, but I would rather have those 3 breathtaking years that made you fall in love with football. If he hadnt been for career threatning injuries, I do believe he would have been the greatest player ever.
    "Tuffy" Monag

Number of posts : 405
    Supports : SLB
    Registration date : 2007-01-03

Post by "Tuffy" Monag Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:29 pm

Rez wrote: Ronaldo could do anything

Except stop eating pork pies.
    TM
    TM

Number of posts : 21218
    Supports : PROGRESS!
    Favourite Player : Luis Figo
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by TM Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:30 pm

RONALDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Protheus
    Protheus

Number of posts : 1816
    Supports : Futebol Clube do Porto

Post by Protheus Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:01 pm

Its between Romário and Van Basten for me. Hard to pick one they had different types of game.

But hey are both above everyone else, even Ronaldo.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:05 am

IMO, Its between 4 players.

Van Basten, Romario, Baggio, and Ronaldo.

Lets not rule out Baggio on a technicality - he did play as the main striker for many of his teams - the highest scorer in Serie A of our times, Roberto Baggio was both a goalscorer and playmaker in equal quantities. And has carried teams on his own so so many times.

But if you ask me who was the best of these as a goal scorer, it depends on the criteria:

1. Technically as a goalscorer (at their best): 1. Van Basten, 2. Ronaldo

2. Pure talent: 1. Baggio, 2. Romario

3. Achievements as a goal scorer (over career): 1. Van Basten, 2. Romario

4. Achievements in world cup: 1. Ronaldo, 2. Baggio

5. Qualities as a finisher: 1. Van Basten, 2. Romario

Overall, if I had to rate them over their career as a gaol scorer, it would be:

1. Van Basten
    2. Ronaldo
    3. Romario/Baggio

Most people on this board have probably forgotten what Van basten was like - he was the ideal goalscorer, had all the characteristics required, and in his time there was no dopubt who was the best.

Ronaldo, pre injury he was a phenomenon. That level was never reached by Romario, inspite of all the talent. Ronaldo could do what even Van Basten couldn't. Unfortunately, he was never the same after 98, even tho he did manage to score quite a few goals after that.

Romario was a goal machine, and rarely would you call someone who has scored so many an under-achiever, but looking at his talent, thats what he is. He could have achieved more with his talent, but his temperament was suspect.

Baggio, not as high on the list of goal scorers, coz he was so much more that just that. As a football talent, probably better than all the above.
    Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1899

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:16 am

bluenine wrote:

Romario was a goal machine, and rarely would you call someone who has scored so many an under-achiever, but looking at his talent, thats what he is. He could have achieved more with his talent, but his temperament was suspect.

I disagree with you on some points. Technically as a goalscorer Romario is by far the best striker I've ever seen. Nobody comes even close.

IMO his achievements in World Cup are biggest than Baggio's not only because he won the WC single handedly, but he also was more consistent than Baggio. Baggio was very disappointing in the groups stage at the 94 WC, Italy was lucky to qualify for the next round.

Under achiever? The guy won the WC single handedly. 1994 World Player of the year and WC Golden Ball Winner. Won three different top leagues and was the top scorer of all them. Scored the winner in the final of the 89 Copa America. Won the Confed Cup in 97.

If Romario is an "under achiever", what do you call Baggio and Ronaldo?
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:03 am

Rez wrote:I voted Ronaldo, Romario was a better striker, but Ronaldo was a better player. Ronaldo could do anything, I have never seen a player (to young to have seen Maradonna in his prime) who was dangerous when he picked up the ball on the halfwayline. He had everything, a perfect player. Romario couldnt score the goals Ronaldo did, but Ronaldo could score the goals Romario did.

Ronaldo of 95-98 was the best player I have ever seen, he anhilated defenders in every league he played in. The reason Romario was still playing well at 35 was because firstly he didnt have 4 years of injury and a crocked knee and his game doesnt need pace.

Romario has been more consistent, but I would rather have those 3 breathtaking years that made you fall in love with football. If he hadnt been for career threatning injuries, I do believe he would have been the greatest player ever.

Totally agree ok
    poiuy1

Number of posts : 2654

Post by poiuy1 Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:04 am

Parks lives wrote:On the subject of the Angel, one of my favourite compilations ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pgWCXldwrM

ok

cheers Parky

I don't know whether Batistuta is the best on the list (i voted Van basten)

but he is definatly the one out of all of them i would most like to have played for United

Used to love watching him on Football Italia on sundays
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Number of posts : 7180
    Registration date : 2006-08-10

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:55 pm

Stefan Kuntz wrote:I've gone for Ronaldo ok

He's starred in 2 Wc's (winning one of them) and can claim to have shit all over the best Italy, Spain and England can offer.

To include eto'o, henry, lineker, raul, rudi völler but not Shevchenko or Kluivert is ridiculous though.

Kluivert is not in the same league.. he never delivered.. always blurting on about scoring 20-25 goals a season and never doing it. Saviola was scoring more...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:16 pm