Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
The Easter Bunny
COTR
Keano Is God
The-Frank-Tavern
DS
debaser
Tom
Tweesus
12 posters

Aston Villa's Revolution

Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Aston Villa's Revolution Empty Aston Villa's Revolution

Post by Tweesus Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:56 am

Hughes happy with appointment:

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=408219&CPID=8&clid=7&lid=2&title=Hughes+hails+'new+beginning'

So, how do people see Villa doing under O'Neill.

Its clear they lack some genuine talent on the wings, this would be where I would invest first - they've lost Milner and Solano and I don't think they ever played with an out and out left winger.

In the centre McCann, Berson and Davis is good enough and they are strong at the back with Bouma, Laurson and Mellburg.

IMO, if O'Neill makes some wise investments they could do quite well this season.

Attackwise they are ok, with Philips, Moore, Agbonlahor and Angel
    Tom
    Tom

Number of posts : 12185
    Supports : Chelsea

Aston Villa's Revolution Empty Re: Aston Villa's Revolution

Post by Tom Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:00 am

I dont think they'll do amazing and get in to europe, but a 10th place finish would be ok for them. I dont totally rate O'Neill as a manager so he can prove me wrong now Cool
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:02 am

You don't rate him as a manager?

I suppose you're too young really to remember what he did at Wycombe then Leicester, before he moved to Celtic everyone thought he was going to take over Man Utd - he was THAT good.

Very clever bloke - he a qualified lawyer you know Wink
    Tom
    Tom

Number of posts : 12185
    Supports : Chelsea

Post by Tom Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:04 am

But being at Celtic-Woopdidooo. He has only one team to seriously compete with each year and if they dont do well, then theres always next year...

But i'll let this season be the judge, although i did want him to be England manager after that bastard Phil Scolari turned us down.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:00 pm

Tweedledum wrote:Hughes happy with appointment:

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=408219&CPID=8&clid=7&lid=2&title=Hughes+hails+'new+beginning'

So, how do people see Villa doing under O'Neill.

Its clear they lack some genuine talent on the wings, this would be where I would invest first - they've lost Milner and Solano and I don't think they ever played with an out and out left winger.

In the centre McCann, Berson and Davis is good enough and they are strong at the back with Bouma, Laurson and Mellburg.

IMO, if O'Neill makes some wise investments they could do quite well this season.

Attackwise they are ok, with Philips, Moore, Agbonlahor and Angel

i'm hopeful. even though its clear the squad needs improving, o'neill has a reputation for getting the best out of players, so maybe we'll see people like angel and baros rejuvinated.

you are correct in saying we need wide players. as far as i can tell hendrie is the only real option in right mid. generally we need some creativity added to the midfied. davis and barry are the only two real quality we got there.

it all depends on how much funding he has before the transfer window. could just be a case of getting in a couple of squad players, maybe a loan deal or two to get us through to january when i hope there will be some investment sorted.

in short: i'm hoping/expecting we'll stay well clear of the bottom 3 and be in the mid-table group pushing for top 8 this season.
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by DS Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:56 am

O'Neill is a very good manager , I am waiting to see who he gets , does anybody knows how much budget will he get or that will depend on the take over.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:12 am

Will depend almost entirely on the take-over. I doubt he'll be able to buy players until the takepver is complete
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Number of posts : 8505
    Supports : Atlético de Madrid

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:15 am

O´Neill is good at getting v average players playing as a whole 15-20% above the sum of the parts, although i´m not sure he could manage a top team as his tactics are somewhat basic
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:17 am

Would he modify his tactics though if he had better players. Hes shown he is capable of cutting it in Euro Comps with Celtic and he's shown he is capable of winning the league, so I think that 'top clubs' thing is blusshit - after all - look at Capello!
    Saintsar

Post by Saintsar Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:24 am

BallackTheBlue wrote:But being at Celtic-Woopdidooo. He has only one team to seriously compete with each year and if they dont do well, then theres always next year...

But i'll let this season be the judge, although i did want him to be England manager after that bastard Phil Scolari turned us down.

O'Neill also got Celtic to the UEFA cup final, and got them to beat Barcelona in the CL. And they only lost the UEFA final to Mourinho's Porto team who dived and cheated for the whole game...
    Keano Is God
    Keano Is God

Number of posts : 439
    Supports : Manchester United and Celtic
    Favourite Player : Student

Post by Keano Is God Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:22 am

o'neill has onrerady proved himself at leicester and he did break rangers dominence of the spl before he came rangers had won practically back to back titles since 1989, the only time celtic won it in that time was once in 1998. Then O'Neill arrives in 2000 and celtic win their first back to back titles since 1981-1982. He also combined it with good cup runs and memorable victories for examplt over barce. If celtic was such an easy job surely someone would have done it before?
    I think with new owners aston villa could challenge for uefa if not from the league then maybe one of the cups but i expect them to get european football next year.
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:25 am

it wasn´t difficult to beat Rangers with the useless tw@t McLeish in charge
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:25 am

The-Frank-Tavern wrote:O´Neill is good at getting v average players playing as a whole 15-20% above the sum of the parts, although i´m not sure he could manage a top team as his tactics are somewhat basic
    alex ferguson's tactics are somewhat basic... what matters is whether they are effective or not and whether you get the best out of all the squad... o'neill has took some job on his hands with villa.. it's a big risk on his part as if he had waited another year a big job may have opened up for him.... he'll have as much chance as anyone of turning villa around but i don't envy him..
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:27 am

COTR villa to some extent is an eas job, it cannot get any worse, so he´ll be perceived to have done a good job.

as for fergie as english footy becomes more tactically orientated and particularly european footy he is increasingly being found wanting
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:31 am

The-Frank-Tavern wrote:COTR villa to some extent is an eas job, it cannot get any worse, so he´ll be perceived to have done a good job.

as for fergie as english footy becomes more tactically orientated and particularly european footy he is increasingly being found wanting

I'll see how Man utd do in this seasons CL before passing judegment, if they go out in the last 16 or before, i'd say hes lost it
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson

Post by The Easter Bunny Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:43 pm

Villa fans must be happy with MoN
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Number of posts : 15804
    Supports : Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool
    Registration date : 2007-01-06

Post by Chocolate Thunder Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:53 pm

The Easter Bunny wrote:Villa fans must be happy with MoN

Utterly random but thats why I love you.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:56 pm

Tweedle wrote:
    The-Frank-Tavern wrote:COTR villa to some extent is an eas job, it cannot get any worse, so he´ll be perceived to have done a good job.

I'll see how Man utd do in this seasons CL before passing judegment, if they go out in the last 16 or before, i'd say hes lost it

lol! lol! lol!
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Number of posts : 7743
    Supports : Liverpool

Post by Football Genius Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:07 am

Utterly absurd IMO, Fergie takes a similar approach to Bruce Lee;

"Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves."

i.e United play interchanging football without a structured view to attacking, rather they roam, pass and move into the space the opposition leave.... this means they ultimately should never hit a brick wall by having no 'set build up' to break an opposition down, its the freedom SAF has employed over the last 20+ years that have given his teams the opportunity to be so successful....

I believe a defence and pivot core e.g one central midfielder and perhaps one striker - in Uniteds case Carrick and Berbatov should be organised, but i admire the flowing freedom the remaining players have, it is this IMO that has made United the success under SAF that they have been....

I'm a firm believer if a manager places too much control on how his team sets up for 90 minutes, you don't allow improvisation / interpretation, which again IMO is the surprise aspect that can be the difference.
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Post by Chocolate Thunder Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:19 am

Football Genius wrote:

Utterly absurd IMO, Fergie takes a similar approach to Bruce Lee;

"Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves."

i.e United play interchanging football without a structured view to attacking, rather they roam, pass and move into the space the opposition leave.... this means they ultimately should never hit a brick wall by having no 'set build up' to break an opposition down, its the freedom SAF has employed over the last 20+ years that have given his teams the opportunity to be so successful....

I believe a defence and pivot core e.g one central midfielder and perhaps one striker - in Uniteds case Carrick and Berbatov should be organised, but i admire the flowing freedom the remaining players have, it is this IMO that has made United the success under SAF that they have been....

I'm a firm believer if a manager places too much control on how his team sets up for 90 minutes, you don't allow improvisation / interpretation, which again IMO is the surprise aspect that can be the difference.

Rafa Sad
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Post by Football Genius Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:27 am

It was a subtle observation Ade, each to their own and all that, but for my money there is no co-incidence between SAF success and the freedom hes allowed on the pitch going forward....

Analogy, you restrict creativity in an office environment it can create demotivated, repitition for employees, give them some freedom and they can excel (mcgregor x + y theory)

I'm a pool fan through and through, but our pass and move football through our successful times gave players freedom, we are too restrictive IMO. United are an example for any club IMO under Fergie.
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Post by Chocolate Thunder Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:49 am

Football Genius wrote:It was a subtle observation Ade, each to their own and all that, but for my money there is no co-incidence between SAF success and the freedom hes allowed on the pitch going forward....

Analogy, you restrict creativity in an office environment it can create demotivated, repitition for employees, give them some freedom and they can excel (mcgregor x + y theory)

I'm a pool fan through and through, but our pass and move football through our successful times gave players freedom, we are too restrictive IMO. United are an example for any club IMO under Fergie.

Totally agree with you mate, hence why I posted what I orginally did.

The element of suprise is something we completely lack as is the football we played 20 years ago, even in the Evan's era.
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Post by Football Genius Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:54 am

Ade wrote:
    Football Genius wrote:It was a subtle observation Ade, each to their own and all that, but for my money there is no co-incidence between SAF success and the freedom hes allowed on the pitch going forward....

Totally agree with you mate, hence why I posted what I orginally did.

The element of suprise is something we completely lack as is the football we played 20 years ago, even in the Evan's era.

Hence with a team of Traore, Biscan, Baros, Cisse and co.... we were still successful, because we had a player like Garcia... who could do the unpredictable, still love his goal against Juve...
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Post by Chocolate Thunder Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:13 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0II7GYk90I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu86Bzc0bkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IEj0YsFH0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCPGiuv2Cfw&NR=1

and for you..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JYZEO_H_Qs&feature=related
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson

Post by The Easter Bunny Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:26 pm

Ade wrote:
    The Easter Bunny wrote:Villa fans must be happy with MoN

Utterly random but thats why I love you.
    cheers Hug
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:44 am

But you cant deny the beauty of organized football , being
    unpredictable is good thing to have but it had to be structured around
    something like a defence a static midfield or atleast one midfielder
    and probably a attacker or not.
    Restrictive football limits a bit of creativity but it can also
    generate a very simple flowing football which is a delight in itself ,
    sometimes you just dont have the players to play a very gung ho type of
    football.
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115

Post by Roger Hunt Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:35 am

I will quote you once again the words of the great Bill Shankly.

'A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing. '

It's not about creativity, or hard work, or athleticism, or determination, or skill. It's about the right combination of all these factors.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:31 am

Why has a thread about Villa's takeover 2 years ago been bumped to talk about Liverpool's tactical shortcomings?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:47 am