Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
TM
DS
Dejan Savićević
Machiavel
Deano
9 posters

Alan Curbishley....his fault or not?

Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Alan Curbishley....his fault or not? Empty Alan Curbishley....his fault or not?

Post by Deano Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:06 pm

After Saturday I was so annoyed that instantly I blamed Curbishley for our performances becoming worse and our fate looking all but sealed. But after thinking about it..how much of it can be blamed on him?

Alan Pardew is a good manager....he has managed to get the likes of Osei Sankofa,Bryan Hughes,Matt Holland, Talal El-Kakouri etc playing well enough to pick up points and give the earlier season no hopers...hope! However what he couldn't do was get the likes of Nigel Reo-Coker,Marlon Harewood,Anton Ferdinand and Matthew Etherington playing well this season.

Alan Curbishley over the years has kept Charlton consolidating...once again if you look at the likes of players he's had...Clive Mendonca,Andy Hunt,Steve Brown and Kevin Lisbie..and yet still did well enough for them to hold their own in the premiership...

The recent turn of events can only lead me to believe that not even Jose Mourinho could get us out of trouble...It now looks a certainty that the players are impossible to motivate and 90% of them couldn't give two shits about the club, which has caused our surprising downfall...I am now prepared to give Curbishley a chance with a new set of players next season and hope he can show us all that he is a good manager...

Also to people who believed that Alan Pardew's sacking was the right choice..I hope their slice of humble pie is enough to fill them up for a week!
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Alan Curbishley....his fault or not? Empty Re: Alan Curbishley....his fault or not?

Post by Machiavel Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:10 pm

Pardew should have never been sacked, easy for me to say (hindsight is a wonderful thing)

The problem is .. maybe Curbs is not the 'master' motivator .. West Ham needs someone who can get the players on their toes and get the belief they had with Pardew.
    Dejan Savićević
    Dejan Savićević

Number of posts : 2921
    Supports : A.C. Milan/Italy
    Favourite Player : Lionel Messi, Andrés Iniesta, Xavi
    Registration date : 2007-01-26

Alan Curbishley....his fault or not? Empty Re: Alan Curbishley....his fault or not?

Post by Dejan Savićević Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:11 pm

What he achieved at Charlton was great and so far he hasn't been able to do it for WH. I think most people believed he would save them, but it hasn't happened and the players must also take the blame for playing so shit, how much has it been down to tactics.

Last edited by on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:11 pm

Rai Krol wrote:Pardew should have never been sacked, easy for me to say (hindsight is a wonderful thing)

The problem is .. maybe Curbs is not the 'master' motivator .. West Ham needs someone who can get the players on their toes and get the belief they had with Pardew.

But thats the point I'm making...is anyone going to motivate them??? the players for me are 99% to blame....and we need to get rid of the majority...
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:13 pm

Resilient Il Fenomeno wrote:What he he achieved at Charlton was great and so far he hasn't been able to do it for WH. I think most people believed he would save them, but it hasn't happened and the players must also take the blame for playing so shit, how much has it been down to tactics.

For me...some of Curbs decisions have been silly..this is what led me to blame him...

for example playing Carlton Cole, Nigel Quashie, Jon Spector and Roy Carroll...

Against Watford I liked his line up and tactics....we lost at home to them...I couldn't blame 1 thing on Curbs that day....
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Machiavel Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:15 pm

Deaño-WHUFC wrote:
    Rai Krol wrote:Pardew should have never been sacked, easy for me to say (hindsight is a wonderful thing)

But thats the point I'm making...is anyone going to motivate them??? the players for me are 99% to blame....and we need to get rid of the majority...

Some have to leave, you cant excuse not having desire and passion.

Curbs was not the right man, they should have gone for someone who could have dragged them up .. cant think of anyone to be honest (would Dowie been a good shout?)

or a 'disciplinarian' does not have to be experienced look at Roy Keane ..
    L r d

Post by L r d Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:21 pm

What he acheived at Charlton is blown way out of proportion. Never, ever, looked close to cracking Europe, even when he had money to spend in his last few years. Good starts stopped them from being relegated but their current situation could just as easily happened under him. He jumped ship at just the right time.

Would be a good manager if he learned that that season finished in May not January.
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:22 pm

Curbs is a decent manager , I dont blame him , I think you will be up next year.
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:28 pm

Rai Krol wrote:
    Deaño-WHUFC wrote:

Some have to leave, you cant excuse not having desire and passion.

Curbs was not the right man, they should have gone for someone who could have dragged them up .. cant think of anyone to be honest (would Dowie been a good shout?)

or a 'disciplinarian' does not have to be experienced look at Roy Keane ..

Your right...

How I see it is that Curbs is a good manager given the wrong job...
    TM
    TM

Number of posts : 21218
    Supports : PROGRESS!
    Favourite Player : Luis Figo
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by TM Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Personally i believed that AC looked from the outside and saw what everyone else saw, good team, needs a bit of luck and to grind out results, little did he know that there are serious problems with player management, and some players who think "Oh well someone will buy me in the summer", and he thought it was an easy job and he would get a fack load of praise, but it's not ok
    Luis

Post by Luis Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:48 pm

You can't heap all the blame on the manager, you can't do that at any club, Sven was the scapegoat for England players slacking off and being shit basically, and although I agree he wasn't the right manager for England, all the blame should not go down to one man.

And it's the same story with the Hammers, Curbs had/has an impossible task to turn things around, i believe it's too late for the Hammers, so many things have affected their season, players such as Reo Coker and Ferdinand not playing to the form of last season, the teves and Masch saga, new players getting injured on top of an already packed injury list, striker problems and throw in the worst luck in the world, how do you change that around?

Pardew should never have been sacked, it showed complete lack of sentiment and faith from the board to a man who the previous season got the Hammers to the FA cup final and a safe position in the league as well as boasting a fanastic young team.

The morale is way way down at West Ham and Curibshley has got a hell of a task to turn things around, he's not the only perosn to blame though, that's for sure
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:18 pm

Obispo wrote:What he acheived at Charlton is blown way out of proportion. Never, ever, looked close to cracking Europe, even when he had money to spend in his last few years. Good starts stopped them from being relegated but their current situation could just as easily happened under him. He jumped ship at just the right time.

Would be a good manager if he learned that that season finished in May not January.
    ok

'Twas quite an even playing field amongst a dozen or so clubs in the EPL until 2005, and even today not much has changed.

That he couldn't motivate the players at Charlton to push on once they'd got to 40 pts. every Febuary has to be looked at. Everyone knew about the Charlton 2nd half collapse in his time there - so it says a lot about his motivational abilities. They have a limit.

Totally the wrong choice to handle Eggie's money - Curbs spent £4m on Luke Young for christ sakes!
    L r d

Post by L r d Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:22 pm

Don't rate the guy. Spent 15 odd million on a load of rubbish thats his fault nobody elses. The chairman does not look like sacking him, So maybe you are stuck with him and you gotta look for positives but i don't see any.
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:26 pm

L r d wrote:Don't rate the guy. Spent 15 odd million on a load of rubbish thats his fault nobody elses. The chairman does not look like sacking him, So maybe you are stuck with him and you gotta look for positives but i don't see any.

Lucas Neill, Matt Uspon and Luis Boa Morte aren't rubbish...Davenport is OK aswell...

I'm not looking for positives because I'm looking to build in the Championship next year....
    Lordanger
    Lordanger

Number of posts : 1519
    Supports : hairbands
    Favourite Player : Not Gerrard
    Registration date : 2006-09-27

Post by Lordanger Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:06 pm

15 years at charlton and he won or came close to winning nothing. why egghead from iceland thought he would be the man to save west ham nobody knows. curbs is uninspiring and average at best. he should be sacked if they go down: west ham are worse now than under pardew who is at least looking like he might keep charlton up. oh the irony if he does!!!
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:49 pm

It's easy to say "sacking Pardew was the wrong decision", but IMO no matter how good a manager is and how much he likes the club, sometimes you just get into a rut that cannot be reversed. Now it seems like relegation was inevitable and obviously West Ham fans would much rather get relegated with Pardew in charge, but I don't think Magnusson can be blamed for making the decision he did - he absolutely just had to try something new but unfortunately West Ham couldn't even get the honeymoon period to save them (like Newcastle got with Roeder)

And the transfer window kind of forced Magnusson's hand with regards to the timing of the sacking.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:49 pm

I do agree though that Curbishley was not the right choice and West Ham should have looked around a bit more.
    "Tuffy" Monag

Number of posts : 405
    Supports : SLB
    Registration date : 2007-01-03

Post by "Tuffy" Monag Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:33 am

Curbishley? Pardew? Players? Everyone has an opinion.

http://176873.aceboard.net/176873-348-7168-0-free-fall.htm
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:35 am

"Tuffy" Monag wrote:Curbishley? Pardew? Players? Everyone has an opinion.

http://176873.aceboard.net/176873-348-7168-0-free-fall.htm

The players know they are mainly to blame....they even admit it themselves...however the cunts still don't put in a performance for the next game...

Pardew can take 0 blame IMO...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 2:20 am