Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Rez
debaser
Parks lives
Tweesus
Football Genius
Ä
10 posters

Why do Arsenal and Liverpool lack ambition ?

Ä
    Ä

Number of posts : 11028
    Registration date : 2006-09-04

Why do Arsenal and Liverpool lack ambition ? Empty Why do Arsenal and Liverpool lack ambition ?

Post by Ä Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:13 pm

it's completely beyond me why the two clubs are happy with mediocrity

Liverpool are one of the biggest brands in world football; in fact, their EPL and CL record suggests they are the English Bayern Munich; or at least they should be

yet they gave Houllier truck-loads of money, got nothing in return for years and still did not sack him

Benitez is so inept in the EPL , as well as the transfer market in general, that Liverpool are eons away from ever lifting another league title; his CL record cannot disguise this

Wenger, meanwhile, managed to get Arsenal up alongside the likes of ManU..., introduced attractive football, managed to sign international superstars...; an unbeaten season followed, a brand-new arena is in place; the club are every neutral's favourite London club with arguably more potential than ManU ( Ferguson himself complained that it would always be more difficult to lure big names to Manchester than to London)

yet the club board tolerate Wenger's abysmal record in Europe and don't seem to exert any pressure on him with regards to winning the EPL either

Mourinho complained that he would not mind being in charge of a club for 3-4 years without PRESSURE; and he's right

at Real, but also Bayern, Schalke or Stuttgart Benitez or Wenger would have been sacked years ago

remember, Bayern sacked Magath after winning two doubles in a row

Real sacked Heynkess after winning the CL

Schalke sacked Ragnick despite getting the highest points/per game average in the club's history

Stuttgart sacked Trappatoni mostly because of his inability to dazzle

so back to the question:

why are Liverpool and Arsenal so happy with utter medicrocity ?
    Cesc

Why do Arsenal and Liverpool lack ambition ? Empty Re: Why do Arsenal and Liverpool lack ambition ?

Post by Cesc Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:18 pm

Hardly lacking ambition.

We are going through a transitional period as many of our key players leaving recently like Bergkamp, Vieira, Campbell, Pires, Cole, Edu. No club can recover quickly after losing players of this calibre. We have a new generation coming through and it will be sooner rather than later when we really start competiting again.

In the past two years we have won the FA Cup and reached a European Final. Man Utd have won the Carling Cup.
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Number of posts : 7743
    Supports : Liverpool
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Why do Arsenal and Liverpool lack ambition ? Empty Re: Why do Arsenal and Liverpool lack ambition ?

Post by Football Genius Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:22 pm

Liverpool = at least 7 tropheys of note in the last 7 years...

And Otto, i think the point you make is the 'quick fix' and completely disregard the need to 'build' or 'rebuild' this takes time.

Look at Real Madrid, if Arsenal and Liverpool slung their manager out the door every 6months, they would be in even deeper turmoil.

Doh
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:22 pm

The entire Bundesliga lacks amibition otto - if you think Liverpool and Arsenal do.
    Ä
    Ä

Post by Ä Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:27 pm

the "sticking with your manager" policy of the EPL is actually what I like about it

but at most international clubs of Liverpool's standing heads would roll a lot sooner

anybody remind me when the club has last won the EPL

they don't even look close to competing with the best and have not for ages

as for Arsenal: Wenger kiddy policy , indeed, means a rather long transition would be required

most clubs would buy experienced as well as talented young players

Wenger is allowed to get away with VERY LONG breaks of being competitive

for once, Mourinho is right
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:30 pm

Liverpool have never won the 'Premier League'.

They last won the old Division One table in 1990.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:30 pm

since when is sacking the manager a sign of ambition? it's often a sign of appeasing impatient/fickle supporters.
    Ä
    Ä

Post by Ä Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:32 pm

Tweedle wrote:The entire Bundesliga lacks amibition otto - if you think Liverpool and Arsenal do.

tweeds

don't equate money with ambition

never accuse a poor fisherman in Thailand of not trying to dive to depths of 100 metres with his snorkel

if you have a submarine though and still don't go deeper than 10 metres, you are lacking cojones or ambition
    Rez

Number of posts : 3757
    Registration date : 2006-10-06

Post by Rez Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:33 pm

I always wondered how Wenger built a team that went a whole season unbeaten, then didnt challenge for the league after that, but still didnt recieve half the crticism that Fergie did, but thats another issue.

Liverpool fans are happy winning cups and making excuses about the league; such as "if the league started in November we would have won the league" or "were a few signings from winning the league".

Arsenal will challenge for the league next season Otto
    Saintsar

Post by Saintsar Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:34 pm

I don't think either club lack ambition.

Last season, Liverpool got 82 points from 38 games, or 2.16 points per game. Season before, Arsenal got 83 points from 38 games, or 2.18 points per game. Last season's Bundesliga Champions Bayern Munich finished on 75 points from 34 games or 2.21 points per game, Bremen got 70 points from 34, or 2.05 points per game, so Liverpool and Arsenal have both been consistent enough to finish at least 2nd in the Bundesliga recently.
    Rez

Number of posts : 3757
    Registration date : 2006-10-06

Post by Rez Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:34 pm

ottOld Shatterhand wrote:
    Tweedle wrote:The entire Bundesliga lacks amibition otto - if you think Liverpool and Arsenal do.

tweeds

don't equate money with ambition

never accuse a poor fisherman in Thailand of not trying to dive to depths of 100 metres with his snorkel

if you have a submarine though and still don't go deeper than 10 metres, you are lacking cojones or ambition

lol!
    L r d

Post by L r d Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:36 pm

Saintsarama MBE wrote:I don't think either club lack ambition.

Last season, Liverpool got 82 points from 38 games, or 2.16 points per game. Season before, Arsenal got 83 points from 38 games, or 2.18 points per game. Last season's Bundesliga Champions Bayern Munich finished on 75 points from 34 games or 2.21 points per game, Bremen got 70 points from 34, or 2.05 points per game, so Liverpool and Arsenal have both been consistent enough to finish at least 2nd in the Bundesliga recently.

Why not pick arsenals total last season? and liverpool the season before that when they finished 5th?
    Saintsar

Post by Saintsar Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:38 pm

L r d wrote:

Why not pick arsenals total last season? and liverpool the season before that when they finished 5th?

Because that wouldn't have demonstrated my point.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:43 pm

Liverpool are actually going backwards as well.

The same with Arsenal if they get knocked out by PSV.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:59 pm

im not sure you could use that as it is different leagues and who knows how they would play over there. also i think liverpool has always been a very manager friendly club. and arsenals board seems to feel alot of gratitude towards wenger for what he has done.
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Post by Football Genius Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:00 pm

Parks lives wrote:Liverpool are actually going backwards as well.

30 points behind the leaders 2 years ago
    15 points behind the leaders last year
    16 points currently behind, every chance we can close that.

And by the way Parky, not the wisest comment to make with the game upcoming this weekend 'liverpool are actually going backwards' leaves you open to lots of comebacks should you lose...
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:08 pm

Football Genius wrote:

And by the way Parky, not the wisest comment to make with the game upcoming this weekend 'liverpool are actually going backwards' leaves you open to lots of comebacks should you lose...

Hahaha. Razz

Last year, you finished 9 points behind Chelsea and won the FA cup.

Your out of the FA cup and 16 points behind us.
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Post by Football Genius Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:12 pm

Parks lives wrote:
    Football Genius wrote:

Hahaha. Razz

Last year, you finished 9 points behind Chelsea and won the FA cup.

Your out of the FA cup and 16 points behind us.

He who laughs last, laughs loudest.

Be prepared for my roar after this weekend.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:14 pm

Whats funny about them, there facts.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder

Post by Machiavel Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:14 pm

wait, i don't understand scratch

finishing less points behind the Premiership winners, is success for Liverpool?
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Post by Football Genius Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:16 pm

Parks lives wrote:Whats funny about them, there facts.

They're
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Post by Football Genius Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:17 pm

Rai Krol wrote:wait, i don't understand scratch

No being the most succesful club in England is success...
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:18 pm

Wallowing.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:18 pm

Football Genius wrote:

in recent years .. I'm not taking away the fact that Liverpool are England's most successful
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Post by Football Genius Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Rai Krol wrote:
    Football Genius wrote:

in recent years .. I'm not taking away the fact that Liverpool are England's most successful

A couple of FA cups, League Cup, UEFA Cup, couple of Super Cups, Champions League....
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:35 pm

Football Genius wrote:
    Rai Krol wrote:
    Football Genius wrote:

A couple of FA cups, League Cup, UEFA Cup, couple of Super Cups, Champions League....

Premiership?

what i meant was, Liverpool's performance in the league

The Cup competitions Liverpool won (especially in Europe) i cant criticise.
    Saintsar

Post by Saintsar Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:37 pm

Indeed, Liverpool have won everything but the league in recent seasons. And they finished second in the league not so long ago, and only just got beaten to second last year by a good Man U team who are now leading the way. Given the right signing or two in the summer, and a good start to the season, I can see them winning it next season.

Arsenal don't lack ambition. They're just crap.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:39 pm

Saintsarama MBE wrote:Indeed, Liverpool have won everything but the league in recent seasons. And they finished second in the league not so long ago, and only just got beaten to second last year by a good Man U team who are now leading the way. Given the right signing or two in the summer, and a good start to the season, I can see them winning it next season.

Given the right signing or two, I can see us winning it as well. Razz
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Post by Football Genius Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:39 pm

We all know that Liverpool fans and the club have a burning passion to win the league.

With Benitez, new investment and a solid core of players.

We have the set up to be league champions.

My opinion is that we lack a couple of match winners (striker + winger)

Should we fall short next season, thats when i shall be asking questions.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:41 pm

Next season could be a proper '4 horse race'..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 2:24 am