Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+27
Rez
zen and the art of
Tweesus
Super Progress
Oleguerisntthatbad
golsud
The Pröfessör
110%
Deluded F*ck™
toon h
gone
Riviera
Rosicky
lampiao007
Fey
Lard
Ricardo Jol
None
NCFC
COTR
Axeslammer
fcb
shazlx
Luis
Deano
Machiavel
Sgoater1
31 posters

Should the Champions League be just for the Champions ?

Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Should the Champions League be just for the Champions ? Empty Should the Champions League be just for the Champions ?

Post by Sgoater1 Wed May 02, 2007 10:21 pm

With the final looming between two teams that lie third in their respective league's, the old question will again be asked, should the champs league simply be just for the Champions. Or should it remain as it now is containing teams that finish fourth and third in their league ? Or possibly a compromise and the top two qualify??

What do people think ?

I cant decide, part of me thinks it should be Champions V Champions but then again i love watching all the top sides in Europe battle it out.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder

Should the Champions League be just for the Champions ? Empty Re: Should the Champions League be just for the Champions ?

Post by Machiavel Wed May 02, 2007 10:22 pm

Yes, bring back the old format

It makes teams challenge for their Domestic Championship.
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Should the Champions League be just for the Champions ? Empty Re: Should the Champions League be just for the Champions ?

Post by Deano Wed May 02, 2007 10:22 pm

No...keep it how it is.

If it's not broken...don't fix it Ale
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Wed May 02, 2007 10:24 pm

Its good now

Post by Guest Wed May 02, 2007 10:24 pm

Say Chelsea finished first, what would the champions league be like without the likes of Arsenal, Man U and Liverpool?

Say Barca finished first, would you miss Real Madrid and Valencia?

Having all the top clubs makes it more entertaining, so I think it's fine as it is.
    shazlx
    shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
    Supports : Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
    Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx Wed May 02, 2007 10:24 pm

Yes, if it means less money for the top teams so the others in the domestic league can compete. CL should be more about prestige than money. Unfortunately for me Arsenal need the money so in reality I would vote the other way.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Wed May 02, 2007 10:25 pm

I think a small change would be good, like what Platini has suggested.

A weakening of the CL with more Eastern European teams will make it better for us fans because players will have less fatigue, the small clubs around Europe will earn more money, and it will bring more variation in leagues. Especially England, for example, where the big 4 will suddenly have to squeeze one out.

And of course, the UEFA Cup will be much more strong and prestigious.
    Luis
    Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis Wed May 02, 2007 10:26 pm

What we;ve seen though, is two very different but very enjoyable CL ties in the semi's with huge stakes
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Wed May 02, 2007 10:26 pm

Yeah...let's get rid of Madrid,Arsenal,Roma,Bayern and bring in Brondby,St.Gallen etc...Laughing
    shazlx
    shazlx

Post by shazlx Wed May 02, 2007 10:26 pm

CT wrote:Say Chelsea finished first, what would the champions league be like without the likes of Arsenal, Man U and Liverpool?

Having all the top clubs makes it more entertaining, so I think it's fine as it is.
    It's called UEFA cup. And yes the UEFA cup may well become more interesting/entertaining than the Champions cup, but so what.
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Wed May 02, 2007 10:27 pm

Lucas Deano Neill wrote:Yeah...let's get rid of Madrid,Arsenal,Roma,Bayern and bring in Brondby,St.Gallen etc...Laughing

lol!
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Wed May 02, 2007 10:28 pm

Deano, I get your point. But who knows, 20 years from now maybe the likes of Brondby and St. Gallen will be on (relatively) equal footing thanks to the boost in money that regular CL participation will give them.
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Wed May 02, 2007 10:30 pm

shazlx wrote:
    CT wrote:Say Chelsea finished first, what would the champions league be like without the likes of Arsenal, Man U and Liverpool?

It's called UEFA cup. And yes the UEFA cup may well become more interesting/entertaining than the Champions cup, but so what.

You also forget that doing this would mean that the UEFA Cup would not be for teams like Tottenham,West Ham,Newcastle,Palermo,Espanyol,Zaragoza etc anymore...

I think it would have serious effects on the rest of the domestic leagues if the CL format is changed...Change it...and the top 4 in each division will never be broken.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Wed May 02, 2007 10:30 pm

Luis wrote:What we;ve seen though, is two very different but very enjoyable CL ties in the semi's with huge stakes

?!

Have you been on crack ?

Yesterday's match makes cricket look like an exciting game in comparison...
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Wed May 02, 2007 10:30 pm

kas wrote:Deano, I get your point. But who knows, 20 years from now maybe the likes of Brondby and St. Gallen will be on (relatively) equal footing thanks to the boost in money that regular CL participation will give them.

Yeah, I wasn't having a go at your point. But I think the Champions League is so good because of how it is at the moment.
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Wed May 02, 2007 10:31 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    Luis wrote:What we;ve seen though, is two very different but very enjoyable CL ties in the semi's with huge stakes

?!

Have you been on crack ?

Maybe it's different when you're a fan of the team involved, I bloody loved it, it wasn't about performace for me though <Ale>
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Wed May 02, 2007 10:32 pm

Axeslammer wrote:

?!

Have you been on crack ?

pratically everyone I spoke to today enjoyed yesterday's semi immensely

and no they were not all liverpool fans
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Wed May 02, 2007 10:32 pm

I enjoyed it...
    NCFC
    NCFC

Number of posts : 3485
    Supports : Cádiz C.F y Norwich City F.C

Post by NCFC Wed May 02, 2007 10:33 pm

I like the current format tbh. I can see the morals surrounding the argument - but it would only weaken the competition.

Would like to see the Cup winners Cup return, but I can't see that happening any time soon.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Wed May 02, 2007 10:33 pm

Lucas Deano Neill wrote:

You also forget that doing this would mean that the UEFA Cup would not be for teams like Tottenham,West Ham,Newcastle,Palermo,Espanyol,Zaragoza etc anymore...

Just bring back the cup winners cup, will make it a serious prize again in all countries bar England where the FA cup is already a serious prize.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Wed May 02, 2007 10:33 pm

Lucas Deano Neill wrote:
    shazlx wrote:

I think it would have serious effects on the rest of the domestic leagues if the CL format is changed...Change it...and the top 4 in each division will never be broken.

Great point <Ale>

Post by Guest Wed May 02, 2007 10:34 pm

COTR wrote:
    Axeslammer wrote:

?!

Have you been on crack ?

Ditto. My Manc friend and my Bristol city friend said it was a really entertaining match - not because the footy was great, just because of the huge atmosphere and suspense.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Wed May 02, 2007 10:34 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    Lucas Deano Neill wrote:

Just bring back the cup winners cup, will make it a serious prize again in all countries bar England where the FA cup is already a serious prize.

Also a good point <Ale>
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Wed May 02, 2007 10:36 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    Lucas Deano Neill wrote:

Well something would be needed for the rest of the clubs...It would be like playing for nothing otherwise...

Once it gets down to Liverpool/Arsenal...Sevilla/Valenica...Lazio/Fiorentina, taking the last UEFA cup place. The rest would be doing f@ck all.
    shazlx
    shazlx

Post by shazlx Wed May 02, 2007 10:36 pm

Lucas Deano Neill wrote:
    shazlx wrote:

Yes but I said only if there was less money for the competition. Also the 2nd tier teams should do better in the league as they wouldn't have a European campaign killing what would probably be a weaker squad.
    None

Number of posts : 2548
    Registration date : 2007-02-22

Post by None Wed May 02, 2007 10:37 pm

Anyone who thinks it's better now than it was 10 years ago, was obviously too young to understand the game at that time.

It has got incalculably worse since 2000, lossed it's special feeling. The domestic leagues are the indicator of the strongest teams now.
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Wed May 02, 2007 10:37 pm

shazlx wrote:
    Lucas Deano Neill wrote:
    shazlx wrote:

Yes but I said only if there was less money for the competition. Also the 2nd tier teams should do better in the league as they wouldn't have a European campaign killing what would probably be a weaker squad.

But then having a "good" season by finishing 5th/6th would mean nothing other than finishing 5th or 6th as the European prize wouldn't be there anymore.
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Wed May 02, 2007 10:37 pm

CT wrote:
    COTR wrote:
    Axeslammer wrote:

?!

Have you been on crack ?

Ditto. My Manc friend and my Bristol city friend said it was a really entertaining match - not because the footy was great, just because of the huge atmosphere and suspense.

Shocked the whole country is on crack Shocked
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Wed May 02, 2007 10:38 pm

Ricardo Jol wrote:
    CT wrote:
    COTR wrote:
    Axeslammer wrote:

?!

Have you been on crack ?

lol!
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Wed May 02, 2007 10:39 pm

Ricardo Jol wrote:
    CT wrote:
    COTR wrote:
    Axeslammer wrote:

?!

Have you been on crack ?

Yup over here everyone called it the official death of football.

Reminded us of how Greece became European Champions....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:11 am