Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
The Easter Bunny
Riviera
DD
Tweesus
Machiavel
9 posters

Mikel suspended by Nigeria

Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Mikel suspended by Nigeria Empty Mikel suspended by Nigeria

Post by Machiavel Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:55 pm

Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel has been suspended by the Nigerian FA indefinitely after being accused of showing "no interest" in playing.

Mikel, 20, did not report for duty when called-up for the African Cup of Nations qualifier against Uganda, with his club Chelsea stating in writing that the player was undergoing medical treatment in London.

But Nigeria believe neither Mikel nor the Premiership runners-up and have moved to ban him from the side with immediate effect.

"Mikel's gross act of indiscipline and lack of commitment towards national call-ups is totally unacceptable," NFA spokesman Ademola Olajire said. "Since Mikel prefers his club over his country, we can only wish him the best of luck.

"The fact that both [Nigeria senior and Olympic] coaches do not need him in their squads means his continuous invitation to the national teams is of no relevance."

While FIFA require that players report to their national federation for independent assessment, Chelsea were known to be furious that Mikel was tested and then played in a 4-1 friendly defeat against Ghana in London this February - after the club had declared him unfit to play.

However, Nigeria boss Berti Vogts also appears to be angry at a perceived lack of commitment from the former Lyn Oslo player when he last turned out for this country.

"The national coach said before the game against Niger that Mikel did not show any sign of commitment that he wanted to play so he left him out," Olajire continued.

"The national Under-23 coach Samson Siasia also says he does not need Mikel in his squad since he preferred to play for Chelsea rather than Nigeria.

"Siasia is embarrassed that Mikel who played under him - at the FIFA World Youth Championship two years ago - is being disrespectful and disinterested in playing for his country."

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has previously said that he would not be looking to sign any more African players due to the 2008 African Cup of Nations in Ghana, which will deprive him of players such as Didier Drogba, Michael Essien , Geremi and Solomon Kalou in the spring.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and we thought he matured Rolling Eyes
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Mikel suspended by Nigeria Empty Re: Mikel suspended by Nigeria

Post by Tweesus Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:56 pm

Did we?

Once a c**t always a c**t I say Ale
    DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by DD Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:18 pm

No shocker.
    It was always about the money for him.
    Riviera
    Riviera

Number of posts : 5411
    Favourite Player : Iniesta, Hangeland
    Registration date : 2007-04-11

Post by Riviera Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:36 pm

Tweedle wrote:

Once a c**t always a c**t I say Ale

ok As long as there's no money in it for him he doesn't give a $h!t.
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson

Post by The Easter Bunny Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:59 pm

Chelsea probs didn't want to risk a injury to him.

Plus berti vogts= C0ck sucker
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:07 pm

For starters the guy is injured. The Nigerians played him against Ghana when he was injured and it caused all sorts of problems.

Secondly, club > country. If Nigeria were to pay his wages then I'd be annoyed if he didn't go back.

Besides, after what happened with Martins this week, I don't blame him for not wanting to go back.

Mikel is not the only guilty party here.
    EMP
    EMP

Number of posts : 7384
    Supports : Valencia, and in Africa Al-Ahly
    Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,

Post by EMP Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:04 pm

S4P2 wrote:For starters the guy is injured. The Nigerians played him against Ghana when he was injured and it caused all sorts of problems.

Secondly, club > country. If Nigeria were to pay his wages then I'd be annoyed if he didn't go back.

Besides, after what happened with Martins this week, I don't blame him for not wanting to go back.

Mikel is not the only guilty party here.

I was at that match and I don't believe he was injured. He showed no sign of inury during that match. Internationals regulations meant that if a player is reportedly injured it is up to that national federation's doctor to make the assessment. For example, there was no controversy about an injured Rooney reporting to England for those friendlies. England's doctors assessed Rooney and he did not play against Spain. Chelsea would never have tried the take my word for it approach with England. Nigeria was perfectly correct to insist that he report to them.

Mikel will regret it if Nigeria qualify for the World Cup and do well. FIFA should act against him. He should have formally retired from international football if he didn't want to play, but to ignore the call up is disrespectful and outrageous. He should receive a lengthy ban and hefty fine.
    Lordanger
    Lordanger

Number of posts : 1519
    Supports : hairbands
    Favourite Player : Not Gerrard
    Registration date : 2006-09-27

Post by Lordanger Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:42 pm

fair play, if i came from Nigeria i wouldn't want to go back their either.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:05 pm

ih8gerrard wrote:fair play, if i came from Nigeria i wouldn't want to go back their either.

Laughing
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea

Post by S4P Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:38 pm

Hopefully this suspension lasts until the African Nations Cup is over.
    Lordanger
    Lordanger

Number of posts : 1519
    Supports : hairbands
    Favourite Player : Not Gerrard
    Registration date : 2006-09-27

Post by Lordanger Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:47 pm

S4P2 wrote:Hopefully this suspension lasts until the African Nations Cup is over.

yup.... im sure we could create some story to get drogba and essien suspended too. or steal their passports.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:28 pm