Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Deano
Pierre Littbarski
A & K
Calidad
godof86
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
Tweesus
bluenine
12 posters

The Modest Ambitions of a Promoted Club...

bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

The Modest Ambitions of a Promoted Club... Empty The Modest Ambitions of a Promoted Club...

Post by bluenine Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:23 pm

Not in Serie A this time!!!

Juventus has already spent £37M+ and bought in 11 players... a couple of more signings are planned... but that was expected, afterall its Juventus.

Napoli also has some modest plans... their targets include Chevaton, Cassano, Ljuboja, & Riquelme!!! Doesn't end there, they also want WPOTY Cannavaro!!

Genoa, the 3rd promoted club has apparently set aside a large sum for transfer with rumoured targets including Vieri, Montella, Doni, and Panucci!!

Are these clubs living in the real world?? It will be really interesting to see if any of these actually work out!!

Last edited by on Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

The Modest Ambitions of a Promoted Club... Empty Re: The Modest Ambitions of a Promoted Club...

Post by Tweesus Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:31 pm

Well its a gamble worth making. For clubs of that size, with the opportunity to gain a regular place in the top domestic league (and also now with increased money guaranteed through the new TV deal) it makes sense to gamble, although personally I don't see it as much of a gamble, if in a few weeks time they'll be getting this bumper TV deal that will earn them an extra £40-60m a year (reported).

If they treat the £40m-60m as purely transfer kitty, then these clubs are acutally being quite reserved in their activities at present. Its also surprising that other clubs in Serie A aren't taking advantage of the TV deals and making extravagent offers for players.
    bluenine
    bluenine

The Modest Ambitions of a Promoted Club... Empty Re: The Modest Ambitions of a Promoted Club...

Post by bluenine Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:38 pm

Thats coz only the top few clubs will get that kinda money from the new TV deal - the distribution will not be equal!! The bottom clubs will probably get anywhere between £15-30M, and that difference is so large that the clubs are probably waiting for the TV deal to be finalised first!

Even in EPL, the top club ends up making about £65M, and the bottom club makes about £30M from TV rights.

Or some like Catania who are already splurging!! 10 new players signed!!!

Tweedle wrote:Well its a gamble worth making. For clubs of that size, with the opportunity to gain a regular place in the top domestic league (and also now with increased money guaranteed through the new TV deal) it makes sense to gamble, although personally I don't see it as much of a gamble, if in a few weeks time they'll be getting this bumper TV deal that will earn them an extra £40-60m a year (reported).

If they treat the £40m-60m as purely transfer kitty, then these clubs are acutally being quite reserved in their activities at present. Its also surprising that other clubs in Serie A aren't taking advantage of the TV deals and making extravagent offers for players.

Number of posts : 4759
    Supports : Italia and Milan
    Registration date : 2007-05-10

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:46 pm

bluenine wrote:Thats coz only the top few clubs will get that kinda money from the new TV deal - the distribution will not be equal!! The bottom clubs will probably get anywhere between £15-30M, and that difference is so large that the clubs are probably waiting for the TV deal to be finalised first!

Even in EPL, the top club ends up making about £65M, and the bottom club makes about £30M from TV rights.

Or some like Catania who are already splurging!! 10 new players signed!!!

Tweedle wrote:Well its a gamble worth making. For clubs of that size, with the opportunity to gain a regular place in the top domestic league (and also now with increased money guaranteed through the new TV deal) it makes sense to gamble, although personally I don't see it as much of a gamble, if in a few weeks time they'll be getting this bumper TV deal that will earn them an extra £40-60m a year (reported).

This would also explain why Udinese kept Quag and paid quite a bit for him.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:57 pm

I thought all the clubs in the EPL got the same amount from the TV deal?

The only difference is as a result of TV money from cup competitions - mainly UEFA and the CL

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:06 pm

Tweedle wrote:I thought all the clubs in the EPL got the same amount from the TV deal?

The only difference is as a result of TV money from cup competitions - mainly UEFA and the CL

I am pretty sure the way it works in EPL is that 50% of TV revenues are spread out evenly or a bit more. The rest is based on positioning and fanbase (viewership).

So, for example, the top 5 clubs in Italy (Milan, Inter, Roma, Juve, Lazio)command 80% of the fanbase (it is very skewed in Italy). So after the first 50% is allotted they would get more based on that, and probably more based on positioning.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:11 pm

ok

Well does anyone have the figures on how much the newly promoted teams will get?

All three should record highly on the viewership scale so its likely they'll be getting at least £25m on top of what they would have got last season - if all this is alloted to transfers then it explains the number of buys + the spending.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:14 pm

Yeah, thats how it works.

So assuming the annual TV deal for Serie A is settled at £600M (thats the max in my estimate), then all 20 clubs would be guaranteed £15M. The rest of the money will mostly go to the top 5-6 clubs. So a bottom half table club can expect to make about £20M, which is still much more than they make now.

Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:
    Tweedle wrote:I thought all the clubs in the EPL got the same amount from the TV deal?

I am pretty sure the way it works in EPL is that 50% of TV revenues are spread out evenly or a bit more. The rest is based on positioning and fanbase (viewership).

So, for example, the top 5 clubs in Italy (Milan, Inter, Roma, Juve, Lazio)command 80% of the fanbase (it is very skewed in Italy). So after the first 50% is allotted they would get more based on that, and probably more based on positioning.
    godof86
    godof86

Number of posts : 630
    Supports : Barcelona, Arsenal, Mohun Bagan, Argentina
    Favourite Player : Diego Maradona
    Registration date : 2007-03-20

Post by godof86 Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:17 pm

bluenine wrote:
    Napoli also has some modest plans... their targets include Chevaton, Cassano, Ljuboja, & Riquelme!!! Doesn't end there, they also want WPOTY Cannavaro!!

Cannavaro being a Neapolitan, it might not be an absolute impossibility. Maybe after a few years...

And Riquelme and Cassano and Chevanton..... Ah, the new MAGICA?
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:22 pm

There are so many rumours that they are looking for the heir to Maradona-Zola... even Tevez has been mentioned, tho why would he move from one small club to another is pure fantasy!

godof86 wrote:
    bluenine wrote:

Cannavaro being a Neapolitan, it might not be an absolute impossibility. Maybe after a few years...

Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:24 pm

I'm surprised Juve aren't in for Riquelme. Looking at their side, they could do with him.

I really think Atletico will be a good move for him though.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:25 pm

Chevanton would be a dream signing for someone - I'm as surprised as Pierre that he hasn't been given enough opportunities at Sevilla - maybe he should look for a club just below that Tier, someone like Osasuna, Sampdoria or Portsmouth
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:28 pm

Napoli up Cassano interest
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sources in Italy suggest that Napoli are likely to table a bid for unsettled Real Madrid striker Antonio Cassano. Cassano has been regularly linked with a return to Italy after falling out of favour at the Bernabeu this term, with Napoli amongst several sides said to be tracking the Bari-born marksman.

The Vesuviani reportedly lined up an offer in January, but were unable to meet Real or Cassano’s demands. Now, having returned to Serie A, it may be a different story. Recent whispers state that Paolo Cannavaro and Francesco Montervino have visited Madrid to talk to Cassano, while his agent Beppe Bozzo allegedly spoke to Napoli’s director of sport Pierpaolo Marino last week.

International agent Ernesto Bronzetti believes that Cassano would enjoy playing at the Stadio San Paolo. “I think it would be an excellent move,” he told Radio Incontro. “Cassano needs to feel valued by his public and Napoli have the kind of fans he needs.”

The rumours gained some momentum yesterday when Stuttgart striker Daniel Ljuboja claimed the Azzurri want to pair him with Cassano next term. The Serbian star impressed on loan to Hamburg this term, but was not offered a permanent move to the AOL Arena and is now searching for a new challenge.
    A & K

Number of posts : 3347
    Registration date : 2006-08-12

Post by A & K Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:28 pm

[quote="bluenine"]Not in Serie A this time!!!

Genoa, the 3rd promoted club has apparently set aside a large sum for transfer with rumoured targets including Vieri, Montella, Doni, and Panucci!!

Well Bluenine, these clubs aren't ordinary promoted clubs, one is a very big club (juventus), and two were big a while ago. So obviously they have rich presidents that can afford buying decent players. Having said that, I would be interested to know how many of the players you mention will actually sign in either of these teams. I could see actually see Cassano, Vieri, Montella or Doni move there because either they are at the end of their career or in the desperate need to find a club. I can't see Riquelme or Panucci make this move none the less. They deserve better IMO.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:34 pm

Like any transfer rumour, the probability of conversion is always low... some are media made, some result in failed attempts. But I won't be surprised if one or two big names end up at Naples this summer.

Alive and Kicking wrote:[quote="bluenine"]Not in Serie A this time!!!

Well Bluenine, these clubs aren't ordinary promoted clubs, one is a very big club (juventus), and two were big a while ago. So obviously they have rich presidents that can afford buying decent players. Having said that, I would be interested to know how many of the players you mention will actually sign in either of these teams. I could see actually see Cassano, Vieri, Montella or Doni move there because either they are at the end of their career or in the desperate need to find a club. I can't see Riquelme or Panucci make this move none the less. They deserve better IMO.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:36 pm

Players like Paul Scholes, Wayne Bridge and Louis Saha have been linked with Sunderland; says it all really
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Pierre Littbarski Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:39 pm

I want Cheva to join Lazio or Fenerbahce - not Napoli.

He is 27 in August and needs to play Champions League football.

He only had one season in CL and missed the 1st few games with a broken leg.

He needs another crack at the big one.

He also needs to force himself back into the reckoning for his country (shouldn't be too hard going on last night) as 2010 will be his last chance to play in a World Cup (he was an unused member of the Japan/Korea '02 squad I think?).

BIG year for him.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Post by Pierre Littbarski Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:00 pm

Speaking of Genoa Cricket and Football Club (you have to love that - very quaint)

These are worth a watch if you have a spare 10 mins:

http://www.genoacfc.it/fotogallery.htm

http://www.genoacfc.it/festa/festa.htm

Great badge and colours.

This isn't a wind up for you know who but I think they are the best club in that city and will finish higher than Samp this year.

I have a Genoa shirt from early/mid nineties (Tomas Skuhravy era) and I'm quite fond of them.

I wouldn't mind Cheva going there - he had a good understanding with Di Vaio at Monaco.

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:07 pm

bluenine wrote:There are so many rumours that they are looking for the heir to Maradona-Zola... even Tevez has been mentioned, tho why would he move from one small club to another is pure fantasy!

Pierre Littbarski wrote:This isn't a wind up for you know who but I think they are the best club in that city and will finish higher than Samp this year.

This is only the calm before the storm.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:20 pm

I forgot about Deano!!!

This is going to be fun Bruce

bluenine wrote:There are so many rumours that they are looking for the heir to Maradona-Zola... even Tevez has been mentioned, tho why would he move from one small club to another is pure fantasy!

Pierre Littbarski wrote:This isn't a wind up for you know who but I think they are the best club in that city and will finish higher than Samp this year.

This is only the calm before the storm.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:21 pm

@ pierre

Do they still put cricket first or like Milan, have they switched it so that the football comes first?
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Post by Pierre Littbarski Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:28 pm

Tweedle wrote:@ pierre

Do they still put cricket first or like Milan, have they switched it so that the football comes first?

Genoa CFC

Cricket 1st.
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United

Post by Deano Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:30 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:Speaking of Genoa Cricket and Football Club (you have to love that - very quaint)

Great badge and colours.

This isn't a wind up for you know who but I think they are the best club in that city and will finish higher than Samp this year.

I have a Genoa shirt from early/mid nineties (Tomas Skuhravy era) and I'm quite fond of them.

I wouldn't mind Cheva going there - he had a good understanding with Di Vaio at Monaco.

You are a c**t Pierre .
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Post by Pierre Littbarski Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:37 pm

Lucas Deano Neill wrote:
    Pierre Littbarski wrote:Speaking of Genoa Cricket and Football Club (you have to love that - very quaint)

Great badge and colours.

You are a c**t Pierre .

Samp's talisman was Flachi.

He fucked up and its all doom and gloom - then Quag came along and they have another talisman.

Now Quag has gone ?!?

Caracciolo is a good hold up man and will score if he gets service but who's going to provide the spark ?

Genoa will be an unknown quantity and could be this year's Palermo/Atalanta.

Its nothing against Samp.

I think they've lost their best players and have chosen a manager who is used to having his clubs best players sold and makes the best of it.

I'd be worried if I were you - Samp are treading water and Genoa are on the up !

The Modest Ambitions of a Promoted Club... _41336063_pietersen300

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:49 pm

Well Genoa are owned by a rich owner also.

I have always like Samp better -- since the Invernizzi and Lombardo days -- and I will go for them in the derby.

But yeah, Genoa look very good for next season, and their strip is incredibly beautiful.
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:21 pm

I don't see what Genoa have done to have their arse licked so much.

They get promoted (after about 9 years???) have a list of very ambitious targets and everyone thinks they'll be brilliant.

Also the fact they have won about 3 games against us out of about the last 30. I think we are better and will prove it. Especially when their fans will see Luigi Ferraris lit up on a Thursday Evening for our UEFA Cup matches Laughing

Their shirt isn't better than ours no fucking way.

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:26 pm

Lucas Deano Neill wrote:I don't see what Genoa have done to have their arse licked so much.

They get promoted (after about 9 years???) have a list of very ambitious targets and everyone thinks they'll be brilliant.

Also the fact they have won about 3 games against us out of about the last 30. I think we are better and will prove it. Especially when their fans will see Luigi Ferraris lit up on a Thursday Evening for our UEFA Cup matches Laughing

Their shirt is better, but I like your team more.
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:28 pm

Lucas Deano Neill wrote:I don't see what Genoa have done to have their arse licked so much.

Their shirt is better, but I like your team more.

ERG>>>all Ale
    Dwarf

Number of posts : 7502
    Supports : Operation Puerto
    Favourite Player : Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Dwarf Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:34 pm

Flat fee
    500k per position
    Bonus fee per TV match
    Parachute payments

To ensure clubs don't complain they also ensure an equal amount of matches for each team on TV. Hence why clubs like Newcastle played in matches with a small gap to ensure they got their TV fee last season.
    godof86
    godof86

Number of posts : 630
    Supports : Barcelona, Arsenal, Mohun Bagan, Argentina
    Favourite Player : Diego Maradona
    Registration date : 2007-03-20

Post by godof86 Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:50 pm

godof86 wrote:
    bluenine wrote:

A weird coincidence....

Just moving back to the MAGICA days of Napoli.... it is eerie, the amount of similarity with respect to THAT Napoli team and the names you mention...

This was from those very young days when I had just started watching the game, so the names are etched in memory....

That Napoli team consisted of a talismanic Neapolitan central defender, Ciro Ferrara, and MAGICA = MAradona- the greatest ever, GIordano Bruno - A supremely talented Italian striker with disciplinary problems, and CAreca - A Brazilian goal-poacher....

The names you mention are of another talismanic Neapolitan central defender, a supremely talented Italian striker with disciplinary problems, a Brazilian (uh, Uruguayan) goal-poacher and an Argentine, Riquelme (and I would not commmit the sin of uttering his name at the same breath with Diego).....

How is it such that it had to be these names, and none else?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 11:17 am