Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
Lordanger
110%
Machiavel
Ricardo Jol
Axeslammer
Isco Benny
Rasiak-9
Di Caniooooo!
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
blutgraetsche
mongrel hawk
15 posters

20 best teams ever (worldsoccer)

mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
    Supports : Corinthians
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

20 best teams ever (worldsoccer) Empty 20 best teams ever (worldsoccer)

Post by mongrel hawk Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:26 am

http://www.worldsoccer.com/greatest/teams.php

1 Brazil 1970
    2 Hungary 1953
    3 Holland 1970
    4 Milan 1989-90
    5 Brazil 1958
    6 Real Madrid 1956-60
    7 Brazil 1982
    8 Barcelona 1991-94
    9 Italy 1934-38

10 France 1998- 2000
    11 River Plate late 1940s
    12 Ajax 1971-73
    13 Bayern Munich 1974-76
    14 Celtic 1967
    15 France 1984
    16 Denmark 1986
    17 Real Madrid 1998
    18 Totttenham 1961
    18 Liverpool 1977
    20 Manchester United 1999

what Brazilian pundits are asking is where is the great Santos of the 60s, which provided half of the players of the brazilian teams of 1958 and 1962? indeed, that Santos should arguably be in the top 10 (at least).

and the Barcelona 1991-94 lost to Telê Santana's São Paulo (with Raí and Cafu) in a fair match. That São Paulo wasn't worse than ManU 1999.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

20 best teams ever (worldsoccer) Empty Re: 20 best teams ever (worldsoccer)

Post by blutgraetsche Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:30 am

Discussed it in the European section already: click
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:37 am

hadn't seen it. ok

blutgraetsche wrote:Discussed it in the European section already: click

Number of posts : 4759
    Supports : Italia and Milan
    Registration date : 2007-05-10

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:09 am

CALCIO is so amazing. Very Happy See the post below bobkat's. Doh

Last edited by on Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:59 am; edited 3 times in total
    Di Caniooooo!

Number of posts : 10829
    Supports : West Ham
    Favourite Player : Paolo Di Canio, Moore, Hurst, Peters
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Di Caniooooo! Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:38 am

Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:soccer is so amazing
    Shocked Shocked Yikes Doh pale No Ack! He used the "S" word! Stone him!

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:55 am

bobkatfan wrote:

Sorry, my computer was left on, and one of my friends thought it would be funny to type that in. Everyone here (Canada and US) calls it soccer, and I get pissed off when they do, so hence he thought it would be funny. As you can see it looks quite stupid in the context of the thread, and is completely incongruous with my usual input here.

If I had written it, I would freely join in stoning myself. Smile
    Rasiak-9
    Rasiak-9

Number of posts : 2605
    Supports : Southampton
    Registration date : 2007-01-17

Post by Rasiak-9 Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:53 am

Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:
    bobkatfan wrote:

Sorry, my computer was left on, and one of my friends thought it would be funny to type that in. Everyone here (Canada and US) calls it soccer, and I get pissed off when they do, so hence he thought it would be funny. As you can see it looks quite stupid in the context of the thread, and is completely incongruous with my usual input here.

If I had written it, I would freely join in stoning myself. Smile

A clever get-out but i'm not buying it Rolling Eyes
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:59 am

Hungary and Spurs both in top 20. And no Germany. Im buying into this list big time!
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Axeslammer Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:48 pm

I am Mum-Ra wrote:Hungary and Spurs both in top 20. And no Germany. Im buying into this list big time!

What all those whiners can't seem to understand is that it's easy to win prices, but that it's hard to win respect Ale

It's my kind of list too, it's about the teams that you really like to see play football instead of those that won prices but no one gives a damn about.

On a personal note, for me :

15 France 1984 >>> 10 France 1998- 2000
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:12 pm

Yeah, the German team of 1972-1974 really doesn't deserve respect, beating the best teams of their time, which are amongst the best national teams of all times, and doing it with brilliance and style. Brilliance and style and winning, you Dutchies should try that also.

This is just pure bias, nothing else. A ridiculous list that basically confirms everything otto is raving about. I'll put a huge dump of turd on this list.
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:15 pm

I love this list, i really love it!
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Machiavel Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:21 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Yeah, the German team of 1972-1974 really doesn't deserve respect, beating the best teams of their time, which are amongst the best national teams of all times, and doing it with brilliance and style. Brilliance and style and winning, you Dutchies should try that also.

This is just pure bias, nothing else. A ridiculous list that basically confirms everything otto is raving about. I'll put a huge dump of turd on this list.

Ajax did Very Happy

after the 'Greatest Game Ever'

Ajax 4:0 Bayern Munich (7th March 1973)

Franz Roth : "Never since have I lost like that. It is the worst defeat of my career. I had to mark Johan Cruyff, so can you imagine how down I was after the game?"

Der Bomber : "We were down after that spanking. But to me it was even worse when Cruyff decided to skip the return leg two weeks later, because the job was already done. I was really shocked by that arrogance."

Heinz Stuy : "They were looking down. Desperate. That day, even a classy player like Beckenbauer started kicking opponents out of frustration."

Ruud Krol : "We killed them physically,"

Jacques Ferran (reporter for France Football) : "That amazing Ajax vs Bayern... Robert Budzyndski, one of the few French technical directors in attendance, confessed to me that in the car on his way back he constantly had flashbacks of that game he couldn't forget. The lesson Ajax teached, no doubt about it, will make it all over the world."

Johan Cruyff : "That game will remain one of the best ever by Ajax. We were at the top of our glory and we were transcended by the support of a whole nation, the whole European football community. Our style was admired by everybody. And even if that Bayern team had guts and talent we knew that we would keep up with them without a problem. Everybody wanted us to go through. That is why that victory was so important."

Sepp Maier : "Never in my life had I lost in such in dreadful way. I felt so sick about it, I ended up getting out of bed, gathering all my football stuff and throwing it into the canal."

Ruud Krol (again) : "It's incredible, but that's a good one! It's one of the best I ever heard, actually. Imagine that: Sepp throwing his stuff into a canal at night. Football is unique and wonderful sometimes... The guy who found his belongings in the water must have been pleased."

Ajax , 1971-73 ... ONE of the best sides ever <Ale>
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:32 pm

Well, Bayern came back with a bang, and took over the year after, equalising Ajax' impressive record of three consecutive european cups.

I was talking about national teams though.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:39 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Well, Bayern came back with a bang, and took over the year after, equalising Ajax' impressive record of three consecutive european cups.

I was talking about national teams though.

Germany were the better team during the period , noone can deny that , success in both competitions (World Cup + Euros) they competed showed. At the end of the day .. "show us the success" a list of that will prove a teams worth in a period of 'dominace'.

also Its funny that Ajax 1971-73 a team who 'rebranded' Football , had more success in one season/calender year , in that legendary 1971-72 season winning the European Treble , Intercontinetal Cup + European Super Cup .... no TEAM has ever done this again is 12th lol!

Blut , take no notice of this 'silly' list ok
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:53 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Yeah, the German team of 1972-1974 really doesn't deserve respect, beating the best teams of their time, which are amongst the best national teams of all times, and doing it with brilliance and style. Brilliance and style and winning, you Dutchies should try that also.

Ok, the list might not be to your liking, however it hardly vindicates the stream of (admittedly amusing lkight hearted) shite that formulates the majority of Otto's posts.

World Soccer is an international publication anyway, I've seen it in a number of languages- you should blame your German counterparts for not voting Biggrin <Ale>
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:01 pm

It's not about "liking", because I actually "like" and respect all of the teams listed. It's about lack of fairness and strong bias, which is so damn typical when it comes to German football. And in that respect (nothing else), otto is actually right, and has just been confirmed for the 1000th time.

A publication that calls football "soccer" can't be taken seriously to begin with, no wonder none of my compatriots bothered (if your 'theory' is actually true that is).
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:10 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:It's not about "liking", because I actually "like" and respect all of the teams listed. It's about lack of fairness and strong bias, which is so damn typical when it comes to German football. And in that respect (nothing else), otto is actually right, and has just been confirmed for the 1000th time.

ok

but German football is not the only ones to have a 'strong bias' against.
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:51 pm

Mendoza wrote:
    blutgraetsche wrote:It's not about "liking", because I actually "like" and respect all of the teams listed. It's about lack of fairness and strong bias, which is so damn typical when it comes to German football. And in that respect (nothing else), otto is actually right, and has just been confirmed for the 1000th time.

ok

but German football is not the only ones to have a 'strong bias' against.

The first english team is 18th but ajax, bayern and celtic are above that. Liverpool for example won 4 european cups in 8 years (practically every time they qualified they won it), in a period when nottingham forest and aston villa also won it, so clearly the English league was very strong then and also competitive (with a number of big clubs). No English posters are whining about bias are they?

For me I think France 1998-2000 has a higher position than they deserve. The won the 1998 world cup because ronaldo had his "fit"before the final which threw the whole brasil team, then beat Italy in the final after del pierro missed some sitters in normal time. They were a very good team and somewhat entertaining but don't deserve to be awarded such a high position.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:16 pm

I think they won deservedly. If Ronaldo had a fit, that was Brazil's or Ronaldo's fault, and France have nothing to do with that.

I don't like excuses when losing. "the weather was too hot", "it rained too much", "the ref was a disgrace", "this cup is a holiday to us", "our striker had a fit".

gimme a break.

110% wrote:The won the 1998 world cup because ronaldo had his "fit"before the final which threw the whole brasil team
    Lordanger
    Lordanger

Number of posts : 1519
    Supports : hairbands
    Favourite Player : Not Gerrard
    Registration date : 2006-09-27

Post by Lordanger Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:34 am

juve 1996/7, if they had only beaten dortmund they would have won 6 trophies in one season and had zidane, vieri and del peiro in the prime!
    but yeah, these lists leave far too much open to interpretation and everyone has a different opinion.
    like how is it possible to compare 1940's river with modern teams... is there even any footage of this era?

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:11 am

ih8gerrard wrote:juve 1996/7, if they had only beaten dortmund they would have won 6 trophies in one season and had zidane, vieri and del peiro in the prime!
    but yeah, these lists leave far too much open to interpretation and everyone has a different opinion.
    like how is it possible to compare 1940's river with modern teams... is there even any footage of this era?

That Juve team was incredible. I remember watching Del Piero then and thinking that soon he could maybe even eclipse Baggio. Del Piero is still my favourite player, but one wonders had that knee injury not happened...
    Lordanger
    Lordanger

Number of posts : 1519
    Supports : hairbands
    Favourite Player : Not Gerrard
    Registration date : 2006-09-27

Post by Lordanger Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:23 am

Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:
    ih8gerrard wrote:juve 1996/7, if they had only beaten dortmund they would have won 6 trophies in one season and had zidane, vieri and del peiro in the prime!

That Juve team was incredible. I remember watching Del Piero then and thinking that soon he could maybe even eclipse Baggio. Del Piero is still my favourite player, but one wonders had that knee injury not happened...

yes... A crying shame for juve and italy, he would have been an all-time legend if he had never ruined his knee: never the same player ever again, yet still a champion. That season Juve were a country mile ahead of everyone and it was only -a touch of- arrogance and the hand of fate that stole immortality from them. damn you lars ricken and your fluke goal, damn you.
    Since 1888
    Since 1888

Number of posts : 5171
    Supports : Sparta Rotterdam
    Favourite Player : Sepp de Roover

Post by Since 1888 Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:31 am

Isn't that the Juventus team that used doping or am I mistaken with other years?
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:54 am

of course I agree with you that france did deserve to win the finals against brasil and italy and they were a very good team. It's not the fault of france that brasil has problems, or that del pierro missed some easy chances, but it did contribute towards their success.

My problem is with their high ranking on the basis of 1998-2000 and it's debatable whether they were even the best team of that period (arguably brasil played the best football until the 98 final while france had home advantage, and same for italy's football in 2000), and things did go France's way (which of course is needed) for them to have been so successful.

todo wrote:I think they won deservedly. If Ronaldo had a fit, that was Brazil's or Ronaldo's fault, and France have nothing to do with that.

I don't like excuses when losing. "the weather was too hot", "it rained too much", "the ref was a disgrace", "this cup is a holiday to us", "our striker had a fit".

gimme a break.

110% wrote:The won the 1998 world cup because ronaldo had his "fit"before the final which threw the whole brasil team
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
    Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann

Post by Allez les rouges Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:26 pm

Hmmmmm.

I think this is a bit of a myth, to be honest. France WERE the best team in the WC of 1998, and in 2000 they were even stronger and carried much more attacking threat (so much so that many commentators said the best final would be France A v France B, such was their strength in depth; seem to remember them playing a pretty much second-string game against Holland in their last group match which very nearly won – of course this was a ridiculous exaggeration).

The thing was, in '98 they were strikerless and persisted with the inept Guivarc'h throughout the tournament, and along with the suspension of Zidane in the middle of the tournament this robbed them of a lot of attacking flair (Henry and Trézéguet being only 20 and not quite first choice). For me they still deserve acknowledgement for one of the strongest back lines of all time and an outstanding midfield featuring Deschamps, Petit, Zizou and Djorkaeff. The crushing victory in the final, even if Ronaldo's mystery vanishing act stole the headlines, was I thought both richly deserved and unsurprising, and for the first time exposed an overrated Brazil team for what it was – over-reliant on the admittedly amazing Ronaldo and the trickery of Rivaldo, with plodders and average players like Junior Baiano and Cesar Sampaio providing the ballast. You could see the superficial nature of Brazil's brilliance when, say, Denilson tried to deceive Thuram but was easily dealt with because Thuram knew that he, being overwhelmingly left-footed, could only go one way – the utterly two-footed Zidane counted for far more.

This was the first time France had truly appeared as a team dominant in world football, it ushered in a new area and I think their recognition as one of the special teams is fully justified. To be honest, I think this "What if??"/overplaying the luck aspect (whether it's a case of explaining away one's own failure or belittling others' achievements) is a particularly English trait, and of all tournament victories it seems to me that the World Cup win of 1998 was one of the least to do with luck.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:06 pm

'World Soccer Magazine' .. has PISSED me off so MUCH !! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

that i had to make this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ep68cSU-QY

i will be contacting the idiots Twisted Evil
    OP9
    OP9

Number of posts : 1476
    Supports : Tigres, Leverkusen, Mexico
    Favourite Player : Dzeko, Cristiano Ronaldo, Gio Dos Santos, Ibisevic, Memo Ochoa, Begovic, OP9
    Registration date : 2006-09-18

Post by OP9 Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:35 am

I think the 2006-2007 Inter should be there actually

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:58 pm

A team that won the league without Juventus and with a headstart should be up there? The Arsenal of 2003/04 season should be up there ahead of Inter.
    Rosicky
    Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
    Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
    Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:59 pm

MexicanTeamOfTheRosesFan wrote:I think the 2006-2007 Inter should be there actually

lol!

nice joke.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:14 pm