Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
mongrel hawk
blutgraetsche
DD
Rez
Super Progress
Sheffield gunner
Oleguerisntthatbad
Allez les rouges
12 posters

Euro 96: "On second thoughts"

Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
    Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Euro 96: "On second thoughts" Empty Euro 96: "On second thoughts"

Post by Allez les rouges Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:05 pm

Dunno if anyone on the board has mentioned this, but an interesting "On second thoughts" piece (blog) by Rob Smyth of the Guardian, reassessing Euro 96 (negatively). Happarently it's part of a series.

He also does stuff like the live over-by-over cricket commentaries on the Grauniad website. He's quite full of himself, as you'll see from his replies to the comments (and man are there fuckloads!!), and is clearly a bit of an arse as a person (apart from being a United fan), but he knows his stuff, is always provocative and never less than interesting...

Thoughts?
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Number of posts : 7180
    Registration date : 2006-08-10

Euro 96: "On second thoughts" Empty Re: Euro 96: "On second thoughts"

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:18 pm

link?
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:20 pm

Good article in my opinion. I think looking back on it, for us English it was a story of two games, the game against the Dutch and the semi-final with Germany. Those two games shaped everyones memories of the tournament. The popular memory of the tournament is of an England team that was riding the crest of a wave, were looking good and were only defeated by our achilles heel, penalties against the Germans, when as pointed out in the article, we were poor against the Swiss, and deserved to lose to the Spanish. He goes a bit too far in my opinion, but it is an interesting article and goes some way to restoring the balance.

Link is here oleguer:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/07/04/on_second_thoughts_euro_96.html
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:53 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:Good article in my opinion. I think looking back on it, for us English it was a story of two games, the game against the Dutch and the semi-final with Germany. Those two games shaped everyones memories of the tournament. The popular memory of the tournament is of an England team that was riding the crest of a wave, were looking good and were only defeated by our achilles heel, penalties against the Germans, when as pointed out in the article, we were poor against the Swiss, and deserved to lose to the Spanish. He goes a bit too far in my opinion, but it is an interesting article and goes some way to restoring the balance.

Link is here oleguer:

Doh Christ I'm such a raving idiot, forgot the important bit, thanks Sheffielder. Smile

It's yet another "useful corrective" view in a way, I agree, but I find it both a wee bit churlish from the English perspective, cos it kinda is the last time England had a decent team (counter-intuitive and in a way of course deliberately perverse, because usually England fans' view of a tournament is largely to do with how their team performed – see last summer), and a little odd/perverse in the way it's desperately "seeking an angle". The excellent German team deserves some credit surely, and Croatia and the Czechs were revelations, even if the Dutch and the (relatively successful) "cowardly" French disappointed. Dammit, Scotland came within an ace of making the quarters (Kluivert/England scum).

Better than the last Euros, for a start.
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:54 pm

the last Euros were the worst ever, just like the WC 2002 was the worst ever.
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:59 pm

Oleguerisntthatbad wrote:the last Euros were the worst ever, just like the WC 2002 was the worst ever.

ok Couldn't agree more – partly why I find Smyth's line almost as odd as those who say last year's World Cup was Cr@p...
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:05 pm

Oleguerisntthatbad wrote:the last Euros were the worst ever, just like the WC 2002 was the worst ever.
    you really thought the WC 2002 was worse then WC 2006. there was a lack of good teams in 2002 but the football was more positive unlike 2006 where almost evey team seemed to defend before wanting to attack.
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:08 pm

I was just so disappointed with the way the "big" teams went out.. Argentina, Spain, Italy.. There was a decent football, but watching a very average German side, the South Koreans and the Turks in the semis pretty much summed it up for me.

WC 2006, Germany and Argentina played some excellent football and until the quarters/semis there was some very good football.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:14 pm

i also hated the big teams going out and south korea beating italy made me mad as hell at them so i couldnt really enjoy their positive football. there was no games to remember really from that World cup except maybe england-argentina but that wasnt for the football. but World cup 2006 had negative football written all over it. there was more quality teams but they didnt play better then average sides.
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:22 pm

IMO another big plus for the WC2006 was the contribution by Ghana and the Ivory Coast.. wonderfull attacking football. By far the best advertisement for African football in a World Cup.
    Rez

Number of posts : 3757
    Registration date : 2006-10-06

Post by Rez Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:18 pm

Oleguerisntthatbad wrote:IMO another big plus for the WC2006 was the contribution by Ghana and the Ivory Coast.. wonderfull attacking football. By far the best advertisement for African football in a World Cup.

Nigeria WC 98, even when they got spanked by Denmark in the last 16 they looked classy. The game against Spain - when Raul scored that awesome volley only to be later topped by Sunday Olisehs stunning drive in the last 5 minutes - was awesome, Okocha looked liked Zidane in that tournament.

To be honest the only decent tournaments in my life time have been WC 98 and Euro 2000, the rest have been one big disappointment.

International football, has a lot more rubbish games than good games.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:46 pm

the future of attacking football relies on africa.Cool to be honest im getting tired of games like yesterday when congo met mexico and lost 3-0 despite creating the same amount if not more chances then mexico. allthough i would still prefer that we stick to our style instead of going for european tactics. but africa fails in 2010 i can see a style change.
    DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC

Post by DD Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:34 pm

I think some of you might be too young to remember Cameroon WC 1990. Now that team put the entire continent on the map. They should have reached the semis too!!!

African teams are on the map for a while already mate
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:36 pm

But Cameroon were thugs.. They did extremely well in promoting Africa but it was a thuggish team.

Last edited by on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:39 pm

Attacking football does not mean tactical naivity (in addition to the traditional poor finishing). You can be very attacking and tactically disciplined at the same time, to be successful, you actually must.

Attacking football is not better than defensive football either, both approaches are legitimate. The former is more attractive to most fans, but this doesn't mean that the latter is obsolete and needs to get rid of.

The whole beauty of this sport is that there are a variety of football cultures, schools and philosophies. And as long as this variety exists, the neverending cycle of competing philosophies will exist also.

And that's a very good and healthy thing. Without this variety, it would be very boring indeed.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
    Supports : Corinthians
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:41 pm

yeh, that was the best African team I've seen in a world cup.

DD wrote:I think some of you might be too young to remember Cameroon WC 1990. Now that team put the entire continent on the map. They should have reached the semis too!!!

African teams are on the map for a while already mate
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:29 am

blutgraetsche wrote:Attacking football does not mean tactical naivity (in addition to the traditional poor finishing). You can be very attacking and tactically disciplined at the same time, to be successful, you actually must.

Attacking football is not better than defensive football either, both approaches are legitimate. The former is more attractive to most fans, but this doesn't mean that the latter is obsolete and needs to get rid of.

The whole beauty of this sport is that there are a variety of football cultures, schools and philosophies. And as long as this variety exists, the neverending cycle of competing philosophies will exist also.

And that's a very good and healthy thing. Without this variety, it would be very boring indeed.
    i gues because i saw a very good example of that in argentinas U-20 team which mixed great movement and technique with pressing high and fighting for the ball. but as i have seen african football hasnt moved much and its the same problem as always.
    EMP
    EMP

Number of posts : 7384
    Supports : Valencia, and in Africa Al-Ahly
    Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by EMP Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:00 am

supermadrid wrote:i also hated the big teams going out and south korea beating italy made me mad as hell at them so i couldnt really enjoy their positive football. there was no games to remember really from that World cup except maybe england-argentina but that wasnt for the football. but World cup 2006 had negative football written all over it. there was more quality teams but they didnt play better then average sides.

The way they beat Spain was worse. Spain were mugged by the officials, more so than Italy in my opinion.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:50 pm

Allez les rouges wrote:
    Sheffield gunner wrote:Good article in my opinion. I think looking back on it, for us English it was a story of two games, the game against the Dutch and the semi-final with Germany. Those two games shaped everyones memories of the tournament. The popular memory of the tournament is of an England team that was riding the crest of a wave, were looking good and were only defeated by our achilles heel, penalties against the Germans, when as pointed out in the article, we were poor against the Swiss, and deserved to lose to the Spanish. He goes a bit too far in my opinion, but it is an interesting article and goes some way to restoring the balance.

Link is here oleguer:

Doh Christ I'm such a raving idiot, forgot the important bit, thanks Sheffielder. Smile

It's yet another "useful corrective" view in a way, I agree, but I find it both a wee bit churlish from the English perspective, cos it kinda is the last time England had a decent team (counter-intuitive and in a way of course deliberately perverse, because usually England fans' view of a tournament is largely to do with how their team performed – see last summer), and a little odd/perverse in the way it's desperately "seeking an angle". The excellent German team deserves some credit surely, and Croatia and the Czechs were revelations, even if the Dutch and the (relatively successful) "cowardly" French disappointed. Dammit, Scotland came within an ace of making the quarters (Kluivert/England scum).

Better than the last Euros, for a start.

Silly Deutschlander, trust you to say that. 1998 and Euro 2004 teams were decent.
    SteveOoO

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2006-08-29

Post by SteveOoO Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:57 pm

Compared to everyone else, the 2002 team was good, it was just everyone else was awful. The German team in the final has to be one of the worst teams ever to reach a WC final (though they gave a good game once they got there... typical Germans).
    Kroos
    Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
    Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
    Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:53 pm

are you joking, this was a fantastic german team

----kahn

frings--linke-ramelow--metzelder

schneider---hamann--ballack- bode

----jancker--klose

deisler
    nowotny
    basler
    scholl
    effenberg

what the hell, all this players left out

who the hell most of the players one the champions league or reached the final of ufea cup and cl, shut UP Cool
    SteveOoO

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2006-08-29

Post by SteveOoO Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:39 pm

Deisler wrote:are you joking, this was a fantastic german team

----kahn

frings--linke-ramelow--metzelder

schneider---hamann--ballack- bode

----jancker--klose

deisler
    nowotny
    basler
    scholl
    effenberg

what the hell, all this players left out

who the hell most of the players one the champions league or reached the final of ufea cup and cl, shut UP Cool

Germany only got there because Italy and Spain had been robbed. Though the Italians you can't have too much sympathy for. The German team played shocking football throughout the tournament, until the final where they played quite well (much to everyone's surprise). The German team from 2000 - 2004 is often described as the worst ever, the performance in the Euros proves that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:29 pm