Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
COTR
DD
SuperMario
Tweesus
Lard
Parks lives
Oleguerisntthatbad
11 posters

STAT ATTACK

Oleguerisntthatbad

Number of posts : 7180
    Registration date : 2006-08-10

STAT ATTACK Empty STAT ATTACK

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:11 pm

no.. not really..

The English press seems obsessed with stats, and the OPTA thingy is just ridiculous.

Does the average English football fan actually believe you can tell anything from % tackles succesful or % passes completed? To me it is like comparing apples and pears.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

STAT ATTACK Empty Re: STAT ATTACK

Post by Parks lives Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:12 pm

I think passing can be important.

Not the amount you pass but the percentage you complete the pass. No point playing 5,000 passes if you are going to give 2,000 away.
    Lard
    Lard

Number of posts : 3822
    Registration date : 2007-03-31

Post by Lard Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:15 pm

Oleguerisntthatbad wrote:no.. not really..

The English press seems obsessed with stats, and the OPTA thingy is just ridiculous.

Does the average English football fan actually believe you can tell anything from % tackles succesful or % passes completed? To me it is like comparing apples and pears.

Nope i don't think so.
    However the average Arsenal fan does Biggrin

@ park imo they are bs half the time also, someone can pass it back to the defenders all the time and have a better rate than someone who is trying to make through balls....Yet the person making through balls is 10x the passer.
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:16 pm

But it all depends on what position you play and the style of the team.. A CB better have a pass completion % that is 80-90% whereas a winger could be great yet still only manage 30%.. Also a Barcelona player has to have a higher % than say a Betis player since we play a possession game and they play counter attack..

You can't compare it across clubs.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:21 pm

Usually the players at the top of the passing stats are the better players - I think the top 5 last season were Scholes, Essien, Cesc, gilberto and carrick.

The % shots on target stat is also useful. It proves that Defoe is pants Ale
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:25 pm

Those stats say close to f@ck all. Especially the ones about passing.
    DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by DD Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:26 pm

Stats like this in sport is more of an American obsession. In particular for baseball where everything can be classified.

Football just doesn't lend itself that way - too many artefacts (statistical term for taints) that cloud the stat result.
    Style, tactics, end product, build up, stats, team strategy. Not to mention how does one qualify vision or decision making? Or how to free up the defence or stretch for other forwards?
    And stats would always make a DM the worst player on the pitch (bookings, tackles, no goals, assists etc).
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:32 pm

Tweedle wrote:Usually the players at the top of the passing stats are the better players - I think the top 5 last season were Scholes, Essien, Cesc, gilberto and carrick.

for the passing stats though you also have to factor in the way they are playing for a better team with better movement and therefore always more players available to pass to and less pressure on them from the opposition

stats are pretty much useless to try to go off

for the assists stats for example one player can go on a mazy run beating ten players, then he passes to someone who simply moves it on to someone else to tap into an empty net. the person who actually created the goal gets no credit towards it at all
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:34 pm

Tweedle wrote:Usually the players at the top of the passing stats are the better players - I think the top 5 last season were Scholes, Essien, Cesc, gilberto and carrick.

I can disprove the shots on target stat if you want me too. Smiley
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:45 pm

I agree on the assists stat - the passing stat I think is useful though and the goals stat is also pretty valid
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:53 pm

Do you pay much attention to the number of times fouled stat? I actually like that one.. it gives an indication of who is the key player and/or who likes to dribble.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City

Post by Sgoater1 Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:17 pm

Stats can be manipulated to fit arguments but i do believe they can at times be beneficial in football, hence the use of Prozone.
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:17 pm

DD wrote:

I can disprove the shots on target stat if you want me too. Smiley
    Well, no takers... lol!

The shot on target only counts the shots you took (on target). Generally its good statistic and guide.

Shots on target is a good thing but not if their bad shots, like:
    1) A striker who has a weak shot gets it on target but can't actually get it past the keeper.
    2) A striker who shoots on target, but is a blaster type of striker who's devoid of subtlety, but however also often hits the keeper, as he can't be bothered to aim it past the keeper or isn't even capable to (Cisse).

In those cases you'd rather have a striker who has the ability to finish (i.e., good touch) rather than one who has a better on target ratio.

Even goal/shot percentage (a generally better marker for strikers) doesn't tell the whole story in certain situations and it can make a good striker look bad.
    Finishing percentage
    1) A good striker is supposed to have most of his shots on target and have a finshing of about 33% (1 in 3). Thus he must at least try to finish the balls he's supplied. However, if a striker also make something out of nothing he will finsh that chance once in 5 times (because those are more difficult).
    Thus striker A is a good finsher and scores 10 out of 30 balls, he'll have a 33% average finshing
    Striker B is a good finisher, but can also make something out of nothing:
    He scores 10 out of 30 balls, but makes something out of nothing 10 times but finishes 2 of those chances. As a result his finishing % will be (12 in 40) 30%, thus lower than striker A's 33%, even though striekr B is by far the better striker.

So you see. Biggrin
    Stats only tell part of the story, but doens't lend themselves well to exceptions (which football is filled with).
    That was a simple but clear example.
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Number of posts : 9523
    Supports : Decentralisation of the state
    Favourite Player : The lesser spotted Ronaldo
    Registration date : 2007-02-25

Post by lrdsucksgoats Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:26 pm

Oleguerisntthatbad wrote:

You can tell something from these stats - you can tell what percentage of tackles were successful or passes were completed. You can't tell much more than that. Breaking down football to statistics shows the problem of reducing anything in the world to mathematics - it doesn't tell the whole story and sometimes can be incredibly misleading.
    Hardrada

Number of posts : 2106
    Supports : Chelsea FC
    Favourite Player : GFZ

Post by Hardrada Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:36 pm

Oleguerisntthatbad wrote:Do you pay much attention to the number of times fouled stat? I actually like that one.. it gives an indication of who is the key player and/or who likes to dribble.

There's a similar one called "abused" which is number of times fouled leading to an opponent being booked or sent off, which is pretty interesting.

Gronkjaer used to be the king of this, nowadays it's Essien (at CFC).
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:27 pm

Oleguerisntthatbad wrote:no.. not really..

Stats has no value. They get value if you know how to interpertate them....

English media always seems to overlook that second part of my thesis.

For instance, Babel hasn't scored many goals but does that say anything of his talent??? People on here put a lot of cr@p about the Babel stats while it didn't make any sense.... The only poster who talked sense about Babel was Agooner! Ale

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:13 pm