Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Lordanger
Machiavel
Parks lives
DS
A & K
mongrel hawk
Axeslammer
blutgraetsche
fcb
13 posters

FIFA World Player of the Year and Balon d'Or frontrunners

fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

FIFA World Player of the Year and Balon d'Or frontrunners Empty FIFA World Player of the Year and Balon d'Or frontrunners

Post by fcb Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:16 am

According to Barcelona paper El Mundo Deportivo, the frontrunners are/will be (not in any order) - Kaka, Messi, Drogba, Cristiano Ronaldo.

I find it hard to disagree with that. I doubt Drogba will get as much recognition as the other 3 though...but let's see how the first couple of months of the new season go. They do vote pretty early (at least for the FIFA award) so performances beyond September won't matter much.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

FIFA World Player of the Year and Balon d'Or frontrunners Empty Re: FIFA World Player of the Year and Balon d'Or frontrunners

Post by blutgraetsche Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:17 am

Kaka will win it for his CL performances, and it will be deserved.
    fcb
    fcb

FIFA World Player of the Year and Balon d'Or frontrunners Empty Re: FIFA World Player of the Year and Balon d'Or frontrunners

Post by fcb Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:21 am

That's what I think too. Kaka will win, followed by Ronaldo in 2nd and Messi in 3rd.

Drogba may get into the top 3 in the Balon d'Or, since the French journalists will know more about him.

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:26 am

Kaka will win but he doesn't deserve it.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:33 am

Messiah wrote:Kaka will win but he doesn't deserve it.

True. To be perfectly honest, Lampard deserves it more, after he unfairly got 2nd place only a while ago.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Axeslammer Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:34 am

If those 4 are the final four, than the order will be :

1) Kaka
    2) Drogba
    3) Messi

It's all about politics and sponsors, who really is the best player doesn't matter to them at all.

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:26 am

if it was done to how produced the best football over an entire season, then i would look to further than Totti/Ronaldo.

Roman was excellent for boca and has been the best player at the Copa America has well, so i deserves a shout but we all know that will never happen.

Most likely top 3

1) Kaka-After all we was the best player in the CL
    2) Messi-The Media darling
    3) Ronaldo-Was great for Man Utd in the Prem
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
    Supports : Corinthians
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by mongrel hawk Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:54 am

my vote would be:

1. Gattuso

2. Riquelme

3. Kaká
    A & K

Number of posts : 3347
    Registration date : 2006-08-12

Post by A & K Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:06 am

1. Kaka
    2. Ronaldo
    3. Kanoute
    4. Drodga
    5. Messi
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:26 am

Messi didnt even have a complete season , talk about media darling.
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:27 am

Kaka will win it probably.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Parks lives Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:39 am

Messi not only above Drogba but Ronaldo as well?

Kaka should win by a landslide I expect.
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder

Post by Machiavel Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:44 am

the FIFA award is a farce these days , a popularity contest

If Kaka wins due to performance in one competition , the Champions League , no1 Club tourney .. in a way its not really fair .. as players have 'excelled' in the tourney and not end up FWPOTY , the same can be said for the Balon d'Or.

Ronaldo may have scored less than Kaka in the CL , but in his 1st 'good' season in the competition created more goals

His performance domestically + internationally for Portugal should not be overlooked.
    Lordanger
    Lordanger

Number of posts : 1519
    Supports : hairbands
    Favourite Player : Not Gerrard
    Registration date : 2006-09-27

Post by Lordanger Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:30 pm

u can only win wpoty if you play for madrid, barca, juve or milan so that rules out c ronaldo and drogba. Toss up between messi and kaka, which kaka will win because he is brazilian, which is also helpful if you want to win wpoty.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:38 pm

No EPL player ever wins WPOTY.

Kaka has it wrapped up ok

To be honest though I think ronaldo deserves as much, maybe a tiny bit more than Kaka who was nothing special in the league
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:41 pm

ih8gerrard wrote:u can only win wpoty if you play for madrid, barca, juve or milan so that rules out c ronaldo and drogba. Toss up between messi and kaka, which kaka will win because he is brazilian, which is also helpful if you want to win wpoty.

ok

Its a joke.

The only player not from those four clubs to ever win it was lothar Matteus for Inter
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:55 pm

To be fair, Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo Ronaldinho & Rivaldo are/were probably the five most gifted players of this generation.

I really can't begrudge their awards. It's players like them that make me want to watch football.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:17 pm

Dark Savante wrote:Messi didnt even have a complete season , talk about media darling.

Awards are given per calendar year. Messi was fit in mid-February. That's more or less a complete season. And he has the advantage of lighting it up at the Copa America as well, whereas Kaka and Ronaldo aren't.
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:23 pm

Me thinks

1 Kaka
    2 C Ronaldo
    3 Drogba
    Rez

Number of posts : 3757
    Registration date : 2006-10-06

Post by Rez Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:31 pm

I think it should be

Ronaldo -
    Kaka
    Drogba

But it will be

Kaka
    Ronaldo
    Drogba

I dont see why Messi is in the top 4 he was injured for a lot of the season and didnt win anything despite playing for the best club side in the world. I think Messi is an awesome player but I think its ridiculous that he is even on the shortlist, he wasnt even the best player in Spain.

I never thought I would ever say this but Totti deserves to be in there instead of Messi. I guess the la liga bias meant that they had to include someone in the list from Spain.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:35 pm