Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+23
The Easter Bunny
erictheking
republicoffenerbahce
DS
robert
Pierre Littbarski
Deluded F*ck™
The Pröfessör
Super Progress
EMP
Bashmachkin
Sgoater1
Axeslammer
SuperMario
Parks lives
COTR
Luis
Lard
debaser
Tweesus
bluenine
Calidad
toon h
27 posters

The most difficult position

toon h
    toon h

Number of posts : 8715
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

The most difficult position Empty The most difficult position

Post by toon h Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:54 am

what is in your opinion the most difficult position to play in? take into account vision, technique, speed, skill, etc necessary for the player to stand out in his position.

can it be the full-back position? is that why there are so few great ones out there? you need to be able to defend (one on one), attack, they cover about the most distance of any other player on the pitch, and are often playing against the best and most skilful players of the opponent's team.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

The most difficult position Empty Re: The most difficult position

Post by Calidad Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:32 am

I'd a say a CB or No.9 Those positions have the most pressure IMO, because a striker is quickly singled out if they are not putting the ball in the back of the net. And at the other end a defenders weaknessess are quickly exploited, and mistakes picked up upon.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:00 am

Depends what your question is:

Which position requires the most skill? Attackimng midfielder, the playmaker. Like a Kaka or a Ronaldino, magic at their feet and a vision.

Which position requires most versatility or range of skills? Fullback. Like a Zambrotta or a Zanetti, they can usually play multiple roles.

Which position gets most critisized? CB. Like Cannavaro or a Nesta - God one day, devil the next day.

Which position is the most difficult to stand out in? DM. Like a Cambiasso or a Makalele. They just don't get enough credit.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:05 am

Agree with bluenine. Fullback requires an all round repertoire.

Not sure what is the most difficult. Dms are often the unsung heroes. Being a keeper is also tough as you need incredible concentration. Being a winger and a forward is also tough as you're expected to creat moments of magic
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:08 am

goalkeeper's tough. you have to be amazingly consistent to get to the top. a few errors and it can take years to rebuild your reputation (e.g. david james). plus you have to be able to stay focused over 90 minutes when you might only have to make a couple of saves.
    Lard
    Lard

Number of posts : 3822
    Registration date : 2007-03-31

Post by Lard Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:09 am

From my experiences of playing, i think centre midfield is the most difficult. I could never play in this position, people can come at you from all over the place i was never comfortable. I found either right midfield, or left midfield the easiest. full back also did not find difficult at all.
    Which position gets most critism? goalkeepers always
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:11 pm

Left back
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:14 pm

fullback is the easiest to play

this is why the least talented players are normally told to go there

centre midfield is by far the hardest. you normally need a complete range of skills to excel here
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:15 pm

Luis wrote:Left back
    lol!
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:23 pm

COTR wrote:
    centre midfield is by far the hardest. you normally need a complete range of skills to excel here

ok

Sisqo is good evidence.
    COTR
    COTR

Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:23 pm

Parks lives wrote:
    COTR wrote:

ok

Sisqo is good evidence.
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:25 pm

Depends on the tactics played.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:01 pm

Striker under Van Basten
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Post by SuperMario Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:05 pm

Axeslammer wrote:Striker under Van Basten
    Yep if you play 4-3-3 midifeld pointing backwards, striker is the most difficult position.

------------X------------
    X------X-------X-------X
    ------------X-------------
    ----X-----GAP-----X----
    X-----------X-----------X

For example Van Nistelrooy got trashed by some after his performance v Ivory Coast during the 2006 WC. Imo he nearly played a perfect game, he did what he had to do, just didn't have any support.

that's why I've always preferred midfield pointing forwards:

X------X-------X-------X
    ----X---------------X-----

where the most difficult postion is that of the CD who has to join midfield, when attacking:

X-----------------------X
    ----X----------------X----

Rijkaard could play that brilliantly. De Zeeuw is capable of doing that too.

Last edited by on Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City

Post by Sgoater1 Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:08 pm

I understand why people say full back is the easiest but i have to disagree. I play full back (although can play on the wing, in CM or as a sweeper depending on the tactics) but am probably one of the best players in my team (dont mean to sound big headed). To be a GOOD full back you have to not only be good at defending and also at getting forward and supporting the winger, you need to have good concentration levels and good positioning. If you lose the ball it can often lead to a goalscoring chance for the opposition.

The easiest position is on the wings cos you dont have any pressure and if you lose the ball someone is normally there to cover.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:14 pm

jonathan de guzman wrote:

For example Van Nistelrooy got trashed by some after his performance v Ivory Coast during the 2006 WC. Imo he nearly played a perfect game, he did what he had to do, just didn't have any support.

ok

That's what I was saying too, everybody just jumped on the bandwagon writing him off at that time.

Apparently Ruud is one of the most limited players out there if we'd have to believe El Salvador, I think he needs a new pair of glasses Ale
    Bashmachkin
    Bashmachkin

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2007-02-09

Post by Bashmachkin Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:22 pm

I think defensive midfielders have such a reputation for being unsung, for having to do a teams dirty work, that they actually often receive too much praise and are even endowed with a mystical sort of quality, whereby they are considered essential to a teams play even when they dont actually do much on the pitch. They are regarded as key components in teams, players who nevertheless do a sort of invisible role, that is only discernible on close observation, and so they can do nothing in a game and yet they are still praised because their role doesnt require any stand-out play - and at the same time it becomes fashionable to praise these players because it supposedly shows close attention and understanding.

Of course, the best defensive midfielders are very talented, they can read the game excellently and pass the ball well to become deep-lying playmakers, building their teams' moves. Then you also have all-action types like Essien, who get forward too at times, who have lots of stamina. But you have a lesser branch of defensive midfielder who simply passes the ball five yards in whatever direction hes facing at the time, and who trips and obstructs rather than intercepts - and this lesser branch has, I think, one of the easiest jobs on the pitch, can simply sit deep and get in the way of the opposition and thats considered their job done.

I think Lrd has a good point in that, if youre playing in central midfield, you have to be aware of everything going on around the pitch, have to face opposition coming from all sides whilst being aware of teammates on either side so as to make the best pass. I think the modern winger also has it quite difficult in that they, often more than the full backs even, have to run up and down the pitch; have to be skillful enough to create at one end yet still need to track back and show some defensive qualities. Laurent Robert at Newcastle, for instance, was regularly slaughtered by the fans, by his managers and by the press for not tracking back enough, despite the fact he was regularly our main goalscoring midfielder, offered a constant threat from set pieces and provided a lot of assists. I do think football is becoming more defensive, and so central midfielders are often required to attack less, whilst wingers are expected to provide a teams edge whilst still covering in defence.
    EMP
    EMP

Number of posts : 7384
    Supports : Valencia, and in Africa Al-Ahly
    Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by EMP Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:26 pm

bluenine wrote:Depends what your question is:

Which position requires the most skill? Attackimng midfielder, the playmaker. Like a Kaka or a Ronaldino, magic at their feet and a vision.

Which position requires most versatility or range of skills? Fullback. Like a Zambrotta or a Zanetti, they can usually play multiple roles.

Which position gets most critisized? CB. Like Cannavaro or a Nesta - God one day, devil the next day.

Which position is the most difficult to stand out in? DM. Like a Cambiasso or a Makalele. They just don't get enough credit.

Goalkeeper. Make one mistake and get slaughtered, even if performance kept team in it until then.
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Post by SuperMario Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:30 pm

Sgoater1 wrote:I understand why people say full back is the easiest but i have to disagree. I play full back (although can play on the wing, in CM or as a sweeper depending on the tactics) but am probably one of the best players in my team (dont mean to sound big headed). To be a GOOD full back you have to not only be good at defending and also at getting forward and supporting the winger, you need to have good concentration levels and good positioning. If you lose the ball it can often lead to a goalscoring chance for the opposition.

The easiest position is on the wings cos you dont have any pressure and if you lose the ball someone is normally there to cover.
    Fullback in the Dutch Eredivisie is 1 of the hardest positions because nearly all teams play with skilled and/or pacy wingers and lots play 4-3-3.

When I played 11-a-side I was attacking right winger in 4-3-3, is indeed 1 of the easier positions. As long as you get past the fullback and set up the striker you're doing fine. Hardly any resposibilities apart from keeping play wide. In my futsal team 5-a-side I play last defender/pivot for attack which imo is the most difficult futsal position.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:45 pm

I think it depends a bit on the time and style that used it. currently goals arent scored as they used too and team are much more defensive so that would suggest that attacking players have to do more on their own now then they maybe 5-10 years ago.
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076

Post by The Pröfessör Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:18 pm

goal keeper - one C0ck up and you're under the microscope.

and

striker - you should always score goals, and now that's probably the most difficult thing to do in football.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:24 pm

Goalkeeper's by far the toughest position from a mental perspective...

I agree with Guz about how tactics affect playing full back - much easier to play in a 4-4-2 than a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:01 pm

Theres 2 sides to the coin with GK.

How often does a keeper make a routine save only for a commentatror to describe it as a "great save"

I notice that COTR said that you don't need much skill to play FB !

How British.

In Italy/South America you will find that they don't really have wingers so the full backs need ability as they are your attacking width.

Hence Serie A full bcaks are usually much more skilfull that Prem fullbacks (though they can be like a rabbit in headlights when they play English teams with a classic winger.)
    COTR
    COTR

Post by COTR Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:12 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:Theres 2 sides to the coin with GK.

How often does a keeper make a routine save only for a commentatror to describe it as a "great save"

I notice that COTR said that you don't need much skill to play FB !

How British.

In Italy/South America you will find that they don't really have wingers so the full backs need ability as they are your attacking width.

Hence Serie A full bcaks are usually much more skilfull that Prem fullbacks (though they can be like a rabbit in headlights when they play English teams with a classic winger.)

my argument was not that you did not require skill.. it was that the least talented players normally end up as fullbacks hence the dearth of great fullbacks in the game

fullbacks in england are probably failed central midfielders from their youth
    fullbacks in brazil are probably failed wingers

there are many exceptions to these rules though obviously

I personally would class the positions from easiest to hardest

Fullback
    GK
    Winger
    Centre back
    Striker
    Centre midfield
    robert
    robert

Number of posts : 5672
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Giggs
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Post by robert Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:12 am

I go with central midfield, particularly if you are supposed to fill a box to box role because then you need all the skills in the world. In many respects this is what made Edgar Davids a cult hero of mine.

While Zidane and Ronaldo were lapping up the bulk of the plaudits here was someone who could defend as well as he attacked and on both spectrums was near the top. Heck, he was a better dribbler than most in his day.
    Lard
    Lard

Number of posts : 3822
    Registration date : 2007-03-31

Post by Lard Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:02 am

COTR wrote:

I personally would class the positions from easiest to hardest

Fullback
    GK
    Winger
    Centre back
    Striker
    Centre midfield

Yep i agree completly with that <Ale>
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:44 am

Well the main objective of the game is get goals so people who score and prevent them are normally under microscope more , like strikers or CB or goalkeepers , this probably depends on the formation
    for eg in 4 5 1 does a midfielder really have that much of pressure as there is another to cover for him compare him to the lone striker in that system who must hold the ball and perhaps create for himself and his team mates.

a 3 5 2
    Really puts pressure on the defenders must defend well have to cover a lot of areas and perhaps the runs of the opposing wingers and perhaps add in attack.

Something like that IMO.
    republicoffenerbahce
    republicoffenerbahce

Number of posts : 41
    Supports : Fenerbahce
    Favourite Player : diego lugano
    Registration date : 2007-09-21

Post by republicoffenerbahce Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:07 am

Striker and why?

If you are a striker, you have only one target. You have to put it in the net. But in the other positions, your opponent doesn't know your tactical target. Expecially if you are a full back, you firstly know what you don't have to do. If you are a striker, everyone knows what you have to do.
    erictheking
    erictheking

Number of posts : 10
    Supports : galatasaray
    Registration date : 2007-09-27

Post by erictheking Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:58 pm

republicoffenerbahce wrote:

If you are a striker, you have only one target. You have to put it in the net. But in the other positions, your opponent doesn't know your tactical target. Expecially if you are a full back, you firstly know what you don't have to do. If you are a striker, everyone knows what you have to do.

same for the goalkeeper
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson

Post by The Easter Bunny Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:18 am

Well it depends on the level you play at, at a professional level every position gets scrutinised, there is no hiding really. If you ever played for an academy then the full backs are usually very good, very much the all rounder in the team. The CM's usually have defined roles, the holder or the attacker. So for example the attacker doesn't necessary need to be a great tackler as long as he closes his man down. Wingers have a very easy job imo, if they have an off day then most of the time it won't harm the team to much as the CM's, Strikers, opposite winger or full back will help carry them. (very random for both of your wide men to have an off day) Strikers have it very easy, they can take 10 shots not even hit the target but then score one goal and get heralded as the saviour. Whereas a goalkeeper for example has no room for error, one simple handling error or pushing the ball into the wrong zone can result in a goal. Centre backs form the spine of the team and are along with the keeper and full back among the most important players in the team.

This is for a standard 4-4-2 formation though. I'm sure with different formations and tactical philosophy the importance will vary throughout the team.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:14 pm