Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+20
summer sizzler
Z&H
Roger Hunt
Football Genius
Jaime
TM
Luis
shazlx
DS
Protheus
A & K
Machiavel
Chocolate Thunder
The-Frank-Tavern
Puro
Fey
Tweesus
Parks lives
L r d hAsta LueGo
fcb
24 posters

CL - What Round of 16 pairings do you want to see?

Football Genius
    Football Genius

Number of posts : 7743
    Supports : Liverpool
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

CL - What Round of 16 pairings do you want to see? - Page 3 Empty Re: CL - What Round of 16 pairings do you want to see?

Post by Football Genius Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:21 pm

I think your over estimating, the name is forged by previous successful campaigns, and what the name now represents is a standard or in this case expectation to deliver the highest standard, now this may create a clear idea and vision, but don't be niave just because you play for a large club with high standards and prestige does not make a team successful. Delivering these ideas means good management and product (in this case football)

If we use your hypothesis, then why haven't Real Madrid done better in the last 5 years? surely their name would strike sufficent fear into the opponents to deliver the victory, the fact is the name only holds weight if the connotations of the name are realised, which unfortunately for Madridsta's hasn't been the case over recent years.

Remember a couple of years ago, when clubs / players / managers were suggesting going to Old Trafford wasn't the heart clenching experience it used to be, why you might ask? quite simply because they weren't the team they used to be at the time.
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Number of posts : 7743
    Supports : Liverpool

CL - What Round of 16 pairings do you want to see? - Page 3 Empty Re: CL - What Round of 16 pairings do you want to see?

Post by Football Genius Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:22 pm

Jaime wrote:@CG

I think our biggest disadvantage comes from Schuster's lack of experience in these sorts of situations, as a manager, more so than the players. All of the players have participated in high profile domestic, continental, and international matches with the exception of two or three. Benitez has been to European finals with Valencia and Liverpool. I think it makes a big difference with the tactics, player selection, and substitutions...less so with the players performance on the pitch.

This is almost precisely what i'm getting at.

The structure is in place for Liverpool to progress from management through to players, Real might indeed have the players to deliver, the management have not proven that they have the quality to deliver however.
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Number of posts : 7180
    Registration date : 2006-08-10

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:26 pm

I want to avoid Liverpool at all costs..

Dream draw would be either Celtic (the poorest team to go through) or Fenerbache/Olympiakos (since I think they will really suffer in the Camp Nou due to lack of experience)
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Jaime Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:31 pm

Oleguerisntthatbad wrote:I want to avoid Liverpool at all costs..

Dream draw would be either Celtic (the poorest team to go through) or Fenerbache/Olympiakos (since I think they will really suffer in the Camp Nou due to lack of experience)

You would really want to face either of the two greatest left backs in the history of Real Madrid? Biggrin

CL - What Round of 16 pairings do you want to see? - Page 3 53692732.inboxrobertocarlos

CL - What Round of 16 pairings do you want to see? - Page 3 Raul
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:33 pm

Bravo is of course a concern, luckily the players around him aren't up to the same standard.
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Number of posts : 8505
    Supports : Atlético de Madrid

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:34 pm

galletti once turned over madriz, he'll have you an'all if you draw them
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:37 pm

The-Frankinsense-Tavern wrote:galletti once turned over madriz, he'll have you an'all if you draw them
    Don't think Galletti ever played a decent game against us..

I am not at all worried about "dribbling attacking" teams. It is the "3 DMs and let's counter" that worry me
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:39 pm

wot like luckyp0-0l
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:40 pm

The-Frankinsense-Tavern wrote:wot like luckyp0-0l

exactly..

We are too slow when we lose the ball so Liverpool would be killing us on the break, and remember Torres only every seemed to be able to play against us..
    Jaime
    Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:43 pm

Oleguerisntthatbad wrote:

exactly..

We are too slow when we lose the ball so Liverpool would be killing us on the break, and remember Torres only every seemed to be able to play against us..

Ahhhh yes....ok, I renounce my claim on Liverpool for octavos...you can have them. We'll take Celtic.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Post by Jaime Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:48 pm

When is the actual draw? Next Friday?
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:49 pm

yeah 21st, same day as uefa cup
    golsud

Number of posts : 4869
    Supports : Barça

Post by golsud Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:52 pm

With Torre$ upfront you madridistas have nothing to fear, he's always rubbish against your lot.
    StevieG
    StevieG

Number of posts : 1039
    Supports : 1.Valencia C F. 2.Stockport County
    Favourite Player : David Villa , Joaquin
    Registration date : 2007-07-22

Post by StevieG Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:50 pm

great to see al them class german teams.

the none hopers of shalke :]
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:58 am

Jaime wrote:
    Oleguerisntthatbad wrote:

exactly..

Ahhhh yes....ok, I renounce my claim on Liverpool for octavos...you can have them. We'll take Celtic.

Celtic are ours...the city may have to hire additional garbage cleaners though.

Post by Guest Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:40 am

Milan will get is easiest team and Barca or Arsenal the most difficult
    Black Magic

Number of posts : 7514
    Registration date : 2007-10-14

Post by Black Magic Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:17 am

I'd like Arsenal to avoid Inter and Roma to play Chelsea.
    summer sizzler
    summer sizzler

Number of posts : 21
    Supports : Marseille & Les Bleus
    Favourite Player : Zinadine Zidane
    Registration date : 2007-10-14

Post by summer sizzler Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:15 am

Zizinho wrote:
    summer sizzler wrote:even though my team(marseille) got knock out, here is my mock draw...

Liverpool-Sevilla
    Fenerbahce-Real Madrid
    Olympiakos-Chelsea
    Arsenal-Milan
    Lyon-Inter Milan
    Schalke-Manchester Utd
    Roma-FC Porto
    Celtic-Barcelona

Good choice <Ale>

The way your tips go....hmmmm........I might aswell tip an Olympiakos-Fenerbahce FINAL Exclamation

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:56 pm