Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
The Bulk
christmasborocooper
SuperMario
L.r.d
Sheffield gunner
Black Magic
fcb
Machiavel
EMP
13 posters

The Oxymoron 2 - Scottish Football

EMP
    EMP

Number of posts : 7384
    Supports : Valencia, and in Africa Al-Ahly
    Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

The Oxymoron 2 - Scottish Football Empty The Oxymoron 2 - Scottish Football

Post by EMP Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:36 pm

I'm on my travels again. In Glasgow. Intend to see Celtic v Inverness and Rangers v Aberdeen while here. Who should I look out for?
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

The Oxymoron 2 - Scottish Football Empty Re: The Oxymoron 2 - Scottish Football

Post by Machiavel Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:38 pm

Aiden McGeady
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:38 pm

For Celtic, based on the CL match I watched: McGeady (obviously), Vennegoor of Hesselink (though he's a known quantity) and Robson, I think was the third guy. Struggled a bit against us, but I was impressed that he didn't look mentally/psychologically out of place making his debut in a CL match.
    Black Magic

Number of posts : 7514
    Registration date : 2007-10-14

Post by Black Magic Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:39 pm

EMP wrote:I'm on my travels again. In Glasgow. Intend to see Celtic v Inverness and Rangers v Aberdeen while here. Who should I look out for?

Are you wealthy? Do you have a really flexible job or something? What race are you? Deal or No Deal? Have you ever worn socks that weren't matching?
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Sheffield gunner Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:45 pm

I'd be interested to hear how Celtic's new signings are fitting in, particularly the foreign signings like Samaras and Hinkel if you can keep an eye out for them.
    L.r.d
    L.r.d

Number of posts : 5614
    Registration date : 2007-12-21

Post by L.r.d Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:48 pm

EMP wrote:I'm on my travels again. In Glasgow. Intend to see Celtic v Inverness and Rangers v Aberdeen while here. Who should I look out for?

In terms of youngish and talented. Naismith, Mcgeady and maybe Burke. The Celtic keeper Boruc also is great but doubt he will touch the ball in that game.
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:25 pm

Haggis, it's great food.

It's a local bovine, whose left legs are shorter than it's right legs. Therefore they can only walk/run counterclockwise around mountains/hills at straightangles to the slope. Local clansmen catch them in the Highlands by lifitng their kilts frightning the haggis to go around clockwise, which makes them fall of the mountain/hill, where they are collected by the women who cut them in little pieces.

Great starter.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:38 pm

Josh Walker for Aberdeen..hes on loan from us, only 19. Would like to know if he's doing any good Very Happy He's meant to be very good. Has captained England U18s.
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Number of posts : 1961
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by The Bulk Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:43 pm

De Guzman wrote:Haggis, it's great food.

It's a local bovine, whose left legs are shorter than it's right legs. Therefore they can only walk/run counterclockwise around mountains/hills at straightangles to the slope. Local clansmen catch them in the Highlands by lifitng their kilts frightning the haggis to go around clockwise, which makes them fall of the mountain/hill, where they are collected by the women who cut them in little pieces.

Great starter.

Haha!

That's brilliant - just brilliant!

lol! lol! lol! Laugh ok Ale

Is it ok to share that with a few people?

Cheers
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:46 pm

Fine with me.
    EMP
    EMP

Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,

Post by EMP Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:52 am

I do a lot of travelling as part of my job and it therefore allows me to take in a lot of football and some other sports. Very rarely wear odd socks. Will look out for players mentioned if I can get it sorted to go. Bit busy this time, but hopefully will make it. Up here on expenses as part of job to do with DNA databasing and use of forensic science. My race is Indian, but English-born.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC

Post by Calidad Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:40 am

Scott Brown is the best player in Scotland. Though, his form has been somewhat indifferent at Celtic.

Kevin Thomson (will probably be injured), Whittaker, Burke & Naismith are players worth looking out for in the Rangers side.

Wouldn't say Cali have any players that would catch the eye. More of an industrious, hard-working side.

Aberdeen, Smith (if he's fit). Aluko too.

You should be watching the Arsenal of Scotland (Hibs) though.
    anglophileHedgehog
    anglophileHedgehog

Number of posts : 4934
    Supports : VfB Stuttgart
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by anglophileHedgehog Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:33 am

Andreas Hinkel, of course. Wink
    monty
    monty

Number of posts : 288
    Supports : Kilmarnock, Chelsea and Kaiserslautern
    Favourite Player : Michael Ballack
    Registration date : 2007-03-25

Post by monty Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:47 am

Will be home wins in both those games, Aberdeen are Cr@p this season despite their UEFA Cup run and Inverness are just a Rugby team that couldn't hit the ball over those big posts.

At the celtic game look out for all the japenese people there to see Nakamura do nothing apart from hit a free kick (you'll find them, they scream alot)

At the rangers game look out for all the bald men who wave the union jack even tho they are scottish.

Most of the players mentioned are ones to look out for although look out for Zander Diamond and Gary Caldwell both players who either make or are around the Scotland squad despite the fact that neither can defend.

Bet it won't beat your trip to Motherwell v Kilmarnock last time cheers
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:50 am

In Glasgow Cali, have to take what I can get, but when I get to Edinburgh I will definitely goo and see Hibbs.

@ Anglo, I'll do that for. Hope your cyber-stalking doesn't put him off though:-)
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:51 am

@ Monty, I don't expect miracles. Nothing could match Motherwell v Kilmarnock:-)
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:07 pm

monty wrote:Will be home wins in both those games, Aberdeen are Cr@p this season despite their UEFA Cup run and Inverness are just a Rugby team that couldn't hit the ball over those big posts.

At the celtic game look out for all the japenese people there to see Nakamura do nothing apart from hit a free kick (you'll find them, they scream alot)

At the rangers game look out for all the bald men who wave the union jack even tho they are scottish.

Most of the players mentioned are ones to look out for although look out for Zander Diamond and Gary Caldwell both players who either make or are around the Scotland squad despite the fact that neither can defend.

Last time I checked, Scotland was part of Britain <Ale>
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Post by The Bulk Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:24 pm

The Rangers-Aberdeen game will be great. Have you got your tickets yet? If so, where are you sitting at Ibrox and Parkhead. Jock Stein stand at CP, Copland Road at Ibrox?

ps I live in Glasgow. So if you need info on other places to visit just let me know. There are some great places to see and eat in Glasgow.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC

Post by Calidad Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:29 pm

monty wrote:Will be home wins in both those games, Aberdeen are Cr@p this season despite their UEFA Cup run and Inverness are just a Rugby team that couldn't hit the ball over those big posts.

Biggrin
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:09 pm

The Bulk wrote:

The Rangers-Aberdeen game will be great. Have you got your tickets yet? If so, where are you sitting at Ibrox and Parkhead. Jock Stein stand at CP, Copland Road at Ibrox?

ps I live in Glasgow. So if you need info on other places to visit just let me know. There are some great places to see and eat in Glasgow.

I'm going down south for a couple of days, but any info will be great.

The match was strange. Celtic should have steam-rollered them, but didn't. Scott McDonald has 25 goals now. Hoped for more from Nakamura. McGeady was brilliant. His assist for Samaras' goal was sublime. Samaras had a good game - Venegoor of Hesselink was injured. I thought Hinkel had a very good game. Fo Inverness, Marius Niculae looks to be a prospect. Would be interesting to see him in a better team.Scott Brown made a terrible mistake for Niculae's goal. Boruc did not have much to do and surprisingly nor did Michael Fraser really. Didn't see enough to trouble Barca at Nou Camp, nor Rangers. Was in top stand towards half-way line.
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Post by The Bulk Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:12 pm

EMP wrote:
    The Bulk wrote:

I'm going down south for a couple of days, but any info will be great.

The match was strange. Celtic should have steam-rollered them, but didn't. Scott McDonald has 25 goals now. Hoped for more from Nakamura. McGeady was brilliant. His assist for Samaras' goal was sublime. Samaras had a good game - Venegoor of Hesselink was injured. I thought Hinkel had a very good game. Fo Inverness, Marius Niculae looks to be a prospect. Would be interesting to see him in a better team.Scott Brown made a terrible mistake for Niculae's goal. Boruc did not have much to do and surprisingly nor did Michael Fraser really. Didn't see enough to trouble Barca at Nou Camp, nor Rangers. Was in top stand towards half-way line.

Was the atmosphere a little flat?

I read that Samaras and McGeady played really well. Samaras' header was supposed to be really good.

I was surprised that Niculae signed for ICT. He's a full international after all! I'm sure he will move to a better club in the future.

I will pm you some nice places to visit and eat in over the next couple of days.

Thanks
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:19 pm

@Bulk, all of the above. Atmosphere was dead really. Nearly 60,000 people and the silence at times was deafening. Samaras' header gave Fraser no chance, but beauty of it was work of McGeady. He seemed to be trapped, turned back on himself and delivered a great cross. Best bit of quality in the match. There were some skilful touches, but Celtic at times wre too intricate. Samaras even forgot to kick the ball in the penalty area with only keeper to beat - well didn't stick out leg to lob for easy goal.

Niculae would be crazy not to move and given where he is would be reasonable. Got to be worth a look for team needing a striker.
    L.r.d
    L.r.d

Number of posts : 5614
    Registration date : 2007-12-21

Post by L.r.d Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:37 pm

EMP wrote:@Bulk, all of the above. Atmosphere was dead really. Nearly 60,000 people and the silence at times was deafening. Samaras' header gave Fraser no chance, but beauty of it was work of McGeady. He seemed to be trapped, turned back on himself and delivered a great cross. Best bit of quality in the match. There were some skilful touches, but Celtic at times wre too intricate. Samaras even forgot to kick the ball in the penalty area with only keeper to beat - well didn't stick out leg to lob for easy goal.

Niculae would be crazy not to move and given where he is would be reasonable. Got to be worth a look for team needing a striker.

Glad you experienced it, you don't know how many people presume due to the champions league that Celtic's support is amazing. It is dead at almost every home match except the old firm games.
    Im sure the bulk knows that until recently most of them didn't like McGeady, during the 90 minutes of silence you would hear occasional boo's or something of the sort if he lost the ball trying to do something creative. Some just seem to go to a game so they have something to talk about at the pub later that night, and spend the time finding someone to moan about.

They really are the most overated support around.
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Post by The Bulk Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:30 pm

As LRD says, it's all about the Rangers-Celtic games and the European nights.

Sometimes the noise will be cranked up when Aberdeen and Hearts come to town.

After, Rangers, Celtic fans dislike Hearts most of all, I believe.

The Rangers-Aberdeen game is usually decent/good for atmosphere. Some Celtic fans still have mixed opinions about McGeady. He rubs people up the wrong way.

The best atmosphere I've experienced in Scotland hasn't been between Celtic and Rangers: it has been between Rangers and European opposition.
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Post by The Bulk Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:44 pm

Hey, EMP, did you enjoy the Rangers-Aberdeen game?
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:59 pm

I see Josh Walker never got on the pitch..and they lost.

No coincidence there.
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:09 pm

Sadly, something cropped up south of the border, so didn't get to Rangers v Aberdeen. Will have to wait for Oxymoron 3 thread. May have go to Birmingham in fortnight. If so, are Birmingham playing at home that weekend? Would like to see Kapo again. I reckon he was a serious bargain. Juve may not have needed him, but €3m is ridiculous. Apparently Birmingham have said he is not for sale at any price.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:15 pm

Saturday, 15 March 2008
    Arsenal v Middlesbrough, 15:00
    Derby v Man Utd, 15:00
    Liverpool v Reading, 15:00
    Portsmouth v Aston Villa, 15:00
    Sunderland v Chelsea, 15:00
    West Ham v Blackburn, 15:00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, 16 March 2008
    Fulham v Everton, 13:30
    Man City v Tottenham, 16:00
    Wigan v Bolton, 15:00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, 17 March 2008
    Birmingham v Newcastle, 20:00

If thats the weekend you mean.
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:18 pm

borocooper wrote:Saturday, 15 March 2008
    Arsenal v Middlesbrough, 15:00
    Derby v Man Utd, 15:00
    Liverpool v Reading, 15:00
    Portsmouth v Aston Villa, 15:00
    Sunderland v Chelsea, 15:00
    West Ham v Blackburn, 15:00

Sunday, 16 March 2008
    Fulham v Everton, 13:30
    Man City v Tottenham, 16:00
    Wigan v Bolton, 15:00

Monday, 17 March 2008
    Birmingham v Newcastle, 20:00

If thats the weekend you mean.

Yes that's the one. Hopefully work commitments mean I have to force myself to go and see it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:39 pm