Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
Aristoskank
Di Caniooooo!
Hlebagone
Glenarch of the Glen
Khadrim
Deluded F*ck™
Sgoater1
Chocolate Thunder
Murray
SuperMario
fcb
110%
Super Progress
debaser
Axeslammer
Bashmachkin
Pierre Littbarski
EMP
22 posters

Weather Conditions

EMP
    EMP

Number of posts : 7384
    Supports : Valencia, and in Africa Al-Ahly
    Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Weather Conditions Empty Weather Conditions

Post by EMP Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:11 pm

Several years ago it was claimed black players didn't like the cold and couldn't play in the cold - Ron Noades for example. Now the same is being levelled at foreigners. Is there really that much difference between temperatures in Egypt and Greece, Italy or Spain for example.

Why does nobody say that Jose Antonio Reyes didn't perform at Arsenal because he couldn't stand the cold? And what about Torres or Samaras. No mention of Mediterranean sun and cold of England affecting them, so why Zaki? He may lose form, but why should that be reason? And why is this not lrevelled at Essien, Kanu and Drogba - each of whom were born in far hotter climates? Why hasn't the cold weather etc. affected them?
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Weather Conditions Empty Re: Weather Conditions

Post by Pierre Littbarski Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:19 pm

EMP wrote:Several years ago it was claimed black players didn't like the cold and couldn't play in the cold - Ron Noades for example. Now the same is being levelled at foreigners. Is there really that much difference between temperatures in Egypt and Greece, Italy or Spain for example.

Why does nobody say that Jose Antonio Reyes didn't perform at Arsenal because he couldn't stand the cold? And what about Torres or Samaras. No mention of Mediterranean sun and cold of England affecting them, so why Zaki? He may lose form, but why should that be reason? And why is this not lrevelled at Essien, Kanu and Drogba - each of whom were born in far hotter climates? Why hasn't the cold weather etc. affected them?

...and Chris Kamara and Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink Neutral
    Bashmachkin
    Bashmachkin

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2007-02-09

Post by Bashmachkin Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:07 pm

I think there is the perception that any player from a country with a warm climate may potentially struggle in the colder months in the Premier League. I think there's even the perception that some English players, who have lived and who play for clubs in the south, may play less well in the north of England - partly because of the travelling involved in such fixtures; partly because of perceived differences in styles of play; partly because the north is often associated with a lack of glamour; but also because of weather differences, because it is slightly colder or wetter in the north. When people say things like 'We'll see how X does up at Bolton on a wet Monday night', they're invoking all of the above; and perhaps suggesting that a player might not perform in the cold is sometimes meant in a belittling way - but I think weather is genuinely seen as a significant factor influencing footballing performance.

Why, for instance, have European nations never won the World Cup outside of Europe? Why have South American nations only won the World Cup once inside of Europe? In the past year or two, there's been debate within South America regarding playing at altitude, and regarding playing in heat. Weather is a factor. And Zaki will have to prove that he can maintain a high level of form during the winter months.

Just yesterday, 'Hazem Emam, former captain and now board member at Zamalek', said the following to the BBC:

Emam claims that cultural differences remain the biggest obstacle for an Egyptian playing abroad.

"Moscow was different, it was very cold and also it was the first time for Amr to go out from ENPPI," he said. "It's not a top club like Zamalek and everything happened suddenly for him I think.

"It wasn't a big ambition for him to go to Russia and it wasn't his dream so he didn't settle well."
    EMP
    EMP

Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,

Post by EMP Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:17 pm

@ Bash Not disputing that, but why is it applied to Zaki and not thrown at Torres, Fabregas, Drogba, etc.

Regarding the Europeans winning abroad Italy wasn't far away in 1994 and nor was the Netherlands in 1978 and Czechoslovakia in 1962. Italy in 1970 and West Germany in 1986. All were beaten finalists. Argentina reached the final in Italy. Brazil in 1998. They won in South Korea as well.

They didn't win but came closer than would be expected if it was such a big factor.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:19 pm

EMP wrote:@ Bash Not disputing that, but why is it applied to Zaki and not thrown at Torres, Fabregas, Drogba, etc.

Regarding the Europeans winning abroad Italy wasn't far away in 1994 and nor was the Netherlands in 1978 and Czechoslovakia in 1962. Italy in 1970 and West Germany in 1986. All were beaten finalists. Argentina reached the final in Italy. Brazil in 1998. They won in South Korea as well.

They didn't win but came closer than would be expected if it was such a big factor.

Funnily enough, Sweden's best performance in a long time so maybe it is exaggerated a bit.
    Bashmachkin
    Bashmachkin

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2007-02-09

Post by Bashmachkin Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:52 pm

I think it's only not thrown at them because they've proven, to a greater or lesser degree, that they can perform in England during the winter.

Like I say, even if it is used to scorn foreign players at times, I think people do genuinely feel that the weather is a factor that influences performances. Zaki is doing really well at the moment, but he's still relatively new to the league; because he is doing well, and because he's available, there's a fair bit of talk about him; and I think it is natural that some will argue that, to really prove himself, he has to continue to perform into the winter. I don't think it's anything to do with him being Egyptian - I think the same concerns would be voiced regarding any player from a significantly warmer climate, who is still in the process of proving himself in the league.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:00 pm

Just the other day Marco van Basten said "that it looked like his players had never played in the rain before".

The impact of the weather on football is obviously underestimated Whistle
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:06 pm

I thought Reyes was considered a bit sensitive to cold - wearing gloves all the time and all. Elano was getting exactly the same criticism last season too.

Anyway, I'd say people generally perceive Egypt as a step hotter than mediterranean countries - the association with deserts - which is why Zaki may be getting this moreso (I hadn't noticed he had, tbh). Also, it's probably just a mindless, default reaction to him being in form - like Bash said, it's a cliche of pundits to bring up that fabled Tuesday night in Bolton/Blackburn which will apparently bring these fancy foreign types down to earth.

Even still, I don't see why it's so bad or wrong to suggest that cold weather may affect a player that's used to only playing in warm conditions. The same as, say, England, are expected to (and do seem to) struggle in hot conditions (e.g. Japan 2002). A player will avoid these criticisms if they continue to play well over the winter (maybe this is why Torres/Essien/Drogba avoided it?), but if a dip in form co-incides with the winter months, it's a reasonable observation to suggest the cold as a factor.
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:38 pm

Perhaps I haven't been clear. I don't remember Torres, Drogba, Essien et al ever having this thrown at them. In the case os Drogba, Essien, Kanu, etc, they come from hotter climates than Zaki. Of course such criticism now would be absurd; they have proved themselves over a season plus. I don't remember them getting this in their first season in English football. Correct me if I'm wrong. I might be.

Is it reasonable to use the cold as a factor if it didn't affect Drogba, Kalou, Essien Kanu, Jay Jay Olkocha, etc. I believe that both Bolton, Blackburn, Newcastle and Sunderland are northern teams where Africans from hotter climates than Zaki have played and performed consistently. Isn't Okocha loved in Bolton?
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:47 pm

Also African players regularly play at top level in Scandinavia - in colder climates than the north of England. How come it doesn't seem to affect them?
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:06 am

EMP wrote:Also African players regularly play at top level in Scandinavia - in colder climates than the north of England. How come it doesn't seem to affect them?
    Actually it does. there have been several africans who went home after trying the danish winter. however compared to the players who do stay and make it the number isnt that high really at all. the only difference really would be that the english league is harder i suppose but im not sure since they tend to go at it in Norway and Sweden and to a lesser extent Denmark.
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:50 am

Drogba, essien etc did play in france before so had played through northern european-type winters before.

With torres very few people thought he'd make it anyway. If he had started off scoring a lot of goals in in his few games, then people would be asking "will he keep it up over winter?" Instead he was played sparingly to get him settled in, and injured a bit if I remember correctly and so on.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:39 am

For me, it's not just the cold. The crucial change is that while most leagues ease up or have a break during December/January, that is in fact England's busiest period, with games coming every 3 days, sometimes even 2 days in order to squeeze in the traditional Boxing Day and New Year matches.

So it's a combination of extreme fixture congestion, and bad weather, that makes me use this "let's see how they do at Bolton on a rainy Wednesday night in December" cliche for certain players. And yes, I have it in mind for Zaki as well. Like others pointed out, most of those other players above have at least played in other European countries before going to England.

As for Reyes, there's no doubt at all the weather affected him. He mainly didn't succeed due to homesickness, and weather is obviously a part of that.
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:26 pm

Made Love captain of my UEFA Cup FF team because I knew Depor would freeze. Pity my other picks were shite.
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:03 pm

110% wrote:Drogba, essien etc did play in france before so had played through northern european-type winters before.

With torres very few people thought he'd make it anyway. If he had started off scoring a lot of goals in in his few games, then people would be asking "will he keep it up over winter?" Instead he was played sparingly to get him settled in, and injured a bit if I remember correctly and so on.

Mods: Delete this post please.

Last edited by EMP on Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:07 pm

110% wrote:Drogba, essien etc did play in france before so had played through northern european-type winters before.

I meant in their first season in England or northern Europe if you prefer. I don't recall this being thrown at them in Europe. Also was this ever thrown at Mido in the Netherlands and has it been thrown at Shawky.

If not Torres, any Spaniard or Italian, or Brasilian, etc. It seems to be thrown at blacks afirst and then Africans, Why? Surely it applies to anywhere the sun shines brightly or not at all.
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:19 pm

kas wrote:For me, it's not just the cold. The crucial change is that while most leagues ease up or have a break during December/January, that is in fact England's busiest period, with games coming every 3 days, sometimes even 2 days in order to squeeze in the traditional Boxing Day and New Year matches.

So it's a combination of extreme fixture congestion, and bad weather, that makes me use this "let's see how they do at Bolton on a rainy Wednesday night in December" cliche for certain players. And yes, I have it in mind for Zaki as well. Like others pointed out, most of those other players above have at least played in other European countries before going to England.

As for Reyes, there's no doubt at all the weather affected him. He mainly didn't succeed due to homesickness, and weather is obviously a part of that.

Why? Don't see why weather is part of that. He went back to Spain where weather and homesickness don't apply and as far as I can see he has not been a great success, which suggests that there is far more to it than weather. I don't see any evidence that weather conditions had any influence on his performances. Has he ever said that it did? Has this been thrown at Torres, Cesc, Italians, etc. Di Canio, Zola, etc.?
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:28 pm

I don't know whether it has been explicitly stated about any of the players you mentioned, but I'm sure that in their first seasons in Europe, someone somewhere had this doubt at this stage. ie. before the winter has actually started.

As for Reyes, why not? Sevilla is one of the hottest parts of Spain, I can definitely see him struggling. Only seems rejuvenated now with some decent performances for Benfica. Not necessarily a weather factor, but we can't say for sure...it could be an influence.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:39 pm

Ronaldo and Romario have gone on record to say that the (winter)weather in Holland hampered their performances...

....and IMO that's not something to be surprised about...

Why are you so adamant that the weather can't influence someone's performance EMP ?

In Holland we've even gone so far as to classify people into evening and afternoon players...

Not surprising that your biorhythm has an effect on your performances.

And the winter / fall performances don't necessarily have to do with the weather (cold, rain) per se, but might also be because of the lack of light. Apparently loads and loads of people suffer from winter depression, which can be (partly) countered by light therapy.

The scary thing is : I'm not kidding Shocked

...and that's just for the natives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

It is highly speculative, but my guess is that people from farther down south will have a higher percentage affected by this.

As usual for me it's the other way around : I *love* the winter, *hate* hot climates and am more of a night owl than an early bird Erm
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:58 pm

Axeslammer wrote:Ronaldo and Romario have gone on record to say that the (winter)weather in Holland hampered their performances...

....and IMO that's not something to be surprised about...

Why are you so adamant that the weather can't influence someone's performance EMP ?

I'm not. I'm questioning why it seems to be applied to Zaki in particular without being applied to others from hot climates equally, or in some cases from even hotter climates.

In Holland we've even gone so far as to classify people into evening and afternoon players...

Not surprising that your biorhythm has an effect on your performances.

And the winter / fall performances don't necessarily have to do with the weather (cold, rain) per se, but might also be because of the lack of light. Apparently loads and loads of people suffer from winter depression, which can be (partly) countered by light therapy.

The scary thing is : I'm not kidding Shocked

...and that's just for the natives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

It is highly speculative, but my guess is that people from farther down south will have a higher percentage affected by this.

As usual for me it's the other way around : I *love* the winter, *hate* hot climates and am more of a night owl than an early bird Erm

I just think it should be applied to all equally or not at all. Looking at the reverse, has anyone suggested that Des Walker or Ian Rush failed in Italy because it was too warm. I think it has more to do with cultural reasons and football reasons. Different styles of playing that players do not not adapt to , or quickly enough. Nobody says Fernando Morrientes was unsuccessful at Liverpool because of cold; it was the way they played didn't suit his game.

I also think it is disrespectful to coaches and players to suggest that if Zaki has a bad winter it is due to him disliking cold weather rather than good tactics and play by opponents.
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10245

Post by Murray Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:32 pm

It's very windy here today.
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:45 pm

EMP wrote:

I meant in their first season in England or northern Europe if you prefer. I don't recall this being thrown at them in Europe. Also was this ever thrown at Mido in the Netherlands and has it been thrown at Shawky.

If not Torres, any Spaniard or Italian, or Brasilian, etc. It seems to be thrown at blacks afirst and then Africans, Why? Surely it applies to anywhere the sun shines brightly or not at all.
    People have already pointed out Reyes got the same comments. As did Elano. And you point out yourself that Drogba and Essien didn't. I don't really get what you're arguing...just seems you're being over-sensitive to Zaki because he's a particular favourite. It's a comment that will come up with any player who's perceived to be in form but unproven in cold conditions. It's a pretty cliched thing, but some players do comment on how the didn't thrive in English climate:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/6570853.stm

And players unused to hot climate get the same observations the other way (e.g. England physically struggling in hot conditions in past world cups)
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm

debaser wrote: I don't really get what you're arguing...just seems you're being over-sensitive to Zaki because he's a particular favourite.

ok
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:24 pm

I thought Reyes was retrospective - after he left. Elano too after he struggled in winter. Zaki is getting it because he is off to a flying start. It is the cliche I don't like and how it seems to be selective. It could be one factor, but also if Zaki does struggle later some credit should be given to managers and players adapting tactics to suit needs. He might lose form, but I think cold weather is oversimplification that is not as important as better tactics and players adapting to him. He was under-estimated at start of season. That won't happen from now on. I think that would be more significant.

By the way it has nothing to do with liking Zaki, I would apply same argument to any player in similar circumstances. Also players using weather could just be looking for exacuse to blame something other than themselves.

World Cup is just a month, Let them play a season in such climates before using it as excuse. Don't remember Owen saying Spain was too hot so he couldn't hack it in Madrid or Lineker, or Mark Hughes, or Rush in Italy, etc. There are footballing reasons and cultural for failing to adapt. Weather may be small part. Most Africans are used to far worse rain than you get in England.
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:58 pm

Not too specific, but this is Owen "I had a good time in Madrid, both on and off the pitch but I missed the UK weather, I missed the food, the Premiership and being around English people."

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SPORT/football/10/04/world.england/index.html

Of course it's a silly simplification to say that weather is the be all and end all for a player's form, but it's a factor, and there's nothing wrong with mentioning it. Why shouldn't weather be a big factor? Temperature (and it's surely temperature rather than rain, which is the important thing), like altitude, has an effect on the body's performance, and the people growing up in different climates will be adapted to different temperatures.
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:08 pm

Matches have been called off due to water-logged pitches - rain or frozen - snow rather than it being too cold, without rain and snow that doesn't happen, so rain is more important. Also mud baths come from rain which affect teams with passing game - temperature doesn't. Weather is small part. Of course they will have preferences, but I still say that football reasons and tactics are more likely to affect players than eweather. After all, weather will be same for both teams and now you will have to look pretty hard to find a team that won't have a player affected by weather according to you, so it will even up and tactics and adapting game to needs will be more important.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:25 pm

So you honestly think Swedes and Brazilians react the same to half frozen pitches ?

I'm giving up ok
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:58 pm

EMP wrote:Matches have been called off due to water-logged pitches - rain or frozen - snow rather than it being too cold, without rain and snow that doesn't happen, so rain is more important.
    We're talking about how conditions may affect an individual player, not how they affect whether a game can go ahead. Clearly heavy rain or snow is more likely to cause cancellation, but I am saying that playing football in much colder temperature than they are used to is probably a bigger adjustment for an individual player - as temperature affects you physically more than rain
    EMP wrote:Also mud baths come from rain which affect teams with passing game - temperature doesn't.
    Fair point. But this is more whole team effects than individuals.
    EMP wrote:Weather is small part. Of course they will have preferences, but I still say that football reasons and tactics are more likely to affect players than eweather. After all, weather will be same for both teams and now you will have to look pretty hard to find a team that won't have a player affected by weather according to you, so it will even up and tactics and adapting game to needs will be more important.
    I'm not saying weather is the most important thing, or anything like that, just that for some players adjusting to different climate can affect their form - which is why I don't find it unreasonable for people to suggest Elano or Reyes suffered from this, or to speculate that Zaki might - Zaki's only being picked on because he's in such good form! If he wasn't scoring no-one would mention it - anyone who's doing well, people try and find a way to knock them.
    EMP
    EMP

Post by EMP Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:27 pm

debaser wrote:
    EMP wrote:Matches have been called off due to water-logged pitches - rain or frozen - snow rather than it being too cold, without rain and snow that doesn't happen, so rain is more important.
    We're talking about how conditions may affect an individual player, not how they affect whether a game can go ahead. Clearly heavy rain or snow is more likely to cause cancellation, but I am saying that playing football in much colder temperature than they are used to is probably a bigger adjustment for an individual player - as temperature affects you physically more than rain
    EMP wrote:Also mud baths come from rain which affect teams with passing game - temperature doesn't.
    Fair point. But this is more whole team effects than individuals.
    EMP wrote:Weather is small part. Of course they will have preferences, but I still say that football reasons and tactics are more likely to affect players than eweather. After all, weather will be same for both teams and now you will have to look pretty hard to find a team that won't have a player affected by weather according to you, so it will even up and tactics and adapting game to needs will be more important.
    I'm not saying weather is the most important thing, or anything like that, just that for some players adjusting to different climate can affect their form - which is why I don't find it unreasonable for people to suggest Elano or Reyes suffered from this, or to speculate that Zaki might - Zaki's only being picked on because he's in such good form! If he wasn't scoring no-one would mention it - anyone who's doing well, people try and find a way to knock them.

Okay fair enough. Do people think Mido for example has adapted to weather, or Shawky, or Ghaly?
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Number of posts : 15804
    Supports : Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool
    Registration date : 2007-01-06

Post by Chocolate Thunder Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:14 pm

EMP wrote:@ Bash Not disputing that, but why is it applied to Zaki and not thrown at Torres, Fabregas, Drogba, etc.

It was orginally thrown at Torres EMP as well many other Spainish lads who have played for us ok

From what I can remember.. Josemi the RB we signed from Malaga in Rafa's 1st season was the only one I remember complaining of the weather as one of his main reasons he didn't settle.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:34 am