Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
bluenine
Pierre Littbarski
messiah
shazlx
Pras_tama
110%
Axeslammer
BoBo Vieri 32
blutgraetsche
Fey
Jaime
15 posters

Xavi vs Pirlo

Poll

Which of the midfield maestros is better?

[ 8 ]
    Xavi vs Pirlo Bar_left50%Xavi vs Pirlo Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 8 ]
    Xavi vs Pirlo Bar_left50%Xavi vs Pirlo Bar_right [50%] 

Total Votes: 16
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Xavi vs Pirlo Empty Xavi vs Pirlo

Post by Jaime Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:44 pm

Ok let's do this. Gerrard vs Xavi from back in the day was too obvious (Gerrard of course!) But here is one that makes more sense. Who was/is better?

Xavi vs Pirlo Xavi-playing-for-Spain-xavi-hernandez-16584463-414-594

Xavi vs Pirlo Fd727ebfa542a88184efc848f37e2700

Please take into considerations things like PES stats and facial hair thickness. Ale
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Xavi vs Pirlo Empty Re: Xavi vs Pirlo

Post by Fey Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:48 pm

This forum was all about Lampard v Gerrard at some time. How much we have grown...

Difficult, will think about this one for a while.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:48 pm

Simple. Now Pirlo, in his pomp Xavi, as he made his teams absolutely unplayable, more or less guaranteeing possession dominance that was the foundation of their success. But Pirlo aged better.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:20 pm

It would really have been interesting to see if one or both had ventured out of their domestic leagues during their best years.

Blut is probably not far off although Pirlo has things in his game that Xavi never had like free kicks & penalty kicks.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:03 pm

tbh it think Pirlo has more moments of genius, but Xavi is better at keeping possession and relieving pressure.

Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:27 pm

Maybe Xavi was better, but watching Pirlo is a much greater joy : easy choice for me Smile
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:30 pm

Both overrated, but I'd go with Pirlo. Put them both in the scottish team and you'd see that pirlo is a better passer over distance, more likely to create chances etc. Xavi would pass to fletcher who'd boot it forward, he'd pass to ... (fuck it I can't think of any other scottish players). You get the idea. Tiki-taka needs at least 2 players, so half of xavi's strength is that busquets or iniesta is passing it back to him, without them he's be half the player, as can be seen in his earlier years.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Post by Jaime Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:35 pm

Ooooh messiah ain't gonna like this! Laughing
    Pras_tama
    Pras_tama

Number of posts : 2101
    Supports : Manchester United & Indonesia NT
    Favourite Player : Scholes
    Registration date : 2008-11-28

Post by Pras_tama Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:57 pm

110% wrote:Both overrated, but I'd go with Pirlo. Put them both in the scottish team and you'd see that pirlo is a better passer over distance, more likely to create chances etc. Xavi would pass to fletcher who'd boot it forward, he'd pass to ... (fuck it I can't think of any other scottish players). You get the idea. Tiki-taka needs at least 2 players, so half of xavi's strength is that busquets or iniesta is passing it back to him, without them he's be half the player, as can be seen in his earlier years.

<Ale> never thought of it that way
    shazlx
    shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
    Supports : Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
    Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:59 pm

110% wrote:Both overrated, but I'd go with Pirlo. Put them both in the scottish team and you'd see that pirlo is a better passer over distance, more likely to create chances etc. Xavi would pass to fletcher who'd boot it forward, he'd pass to ... (fuck it I can't think of any other scottish players). You get the idea. Tiki-taka needs at least 2 players, so half of xavi's strength is that busquets or iniesta is passing it back to him, without them he's be half the player, as can be seen in his earlier years.
     ok 
    messiah
    messiah

Number of posts : 3084
    Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:24 am

xavi was more dynamic moving all over the pitch, while pirlo mainly sits deep and dictate the tempo of the game, so as blut said pirlo age better.

it doesn't look like it because he is so small but the physical side of xavi's game was key when he was on top, he covered the most ground of any barca player at his best.

xavi was the idea, the philosophy, the essence of two of the greatest teams ever, he leads to dominance that pirlo coudn't at his best. just look at xavi's last best game the EURO 2012 final where he rolled back the years against Italy

both are all time greats, but in their prime xavi was better, in his prime their hasn't been many midfielders in the game that could match him.

help the team to the league in is first season in la liga with 26 appearances as a kid, pretty much. he has been a genius from the start

as for the not so enlighten persons, his single season for assist record in la liga says it all, the fact that he has the most in la liga since his has been playing says it all.

both are the very essence of the world MIDFIELDER, which is why the have won everything under the sun, while those that score 15 goals person, have done jack
    messiah
    messiah

Post by messiah Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:42 am

strangely enough xavi has more goals than pirlo in his career, even i was shocked to see that given pirlo is a ace freekick taker

Pirlo: 652 Games, 66 goals
    Xavi: games 723, goals 83 goals.

i knew xavi had more assist, that was a surprise
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:11 am

messiah wrote:strangely enough xavi has more goals than pirlo in his career, even i was shocked to see that given pirlo is a ace freekick taker

Very suprising.

You could say that Xavi is better because of what he did without the ball which in turn meant he would age quicker when the legs go.

You could also argue that whilst Xavi won World Cup and Euros in a great team - Pirlo won World Cup and reached Euro final in a far less impressive team and was his side's best player in both tournaments (regardless of what FIFA's expert panel might have said about '06)
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:00 pm

Both great players, playing similar roles but couldn't be more different.

However, IMO Pirlo is a different level of a player than Xavi. Xavi played with the same club and his national team also played the same style. He does his role remarkably well, but Pirlo has so much more skill to his game. Pirlo has proved himself in counter attacking teams, catenaccio style teams, possession football style, almost any tactical style you can think of. He has had to reinvent himself, but because he can so much talent & skill (specially the through passes) he has adapted so easily. Pirlo also has been the best player for almost any team he has played, can't say that for Xavi.

That is why such comparisons are unfair. I am sure Xavi is far better a player for tiki-taka football that he has always played, while Pirlo is better in any other style of football. So I would pick Pirlo.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:12 pm

Okay, gave it some rest, but in the end im gonna say Xavi.

For me, Xavi has been world class in the years 2008-2012, but his absolute peak was in Barca's treble season 2008/09. He had a lot more creative freedom that season, where he made defence-splitting passes, made runs into the box, beat multiple players with his runs, and still did his defensive duties. The 34 assists he made that season underlines this. Ever since Messi got the role of the false 9, it seemed as if he took over Xavi's old role of creating chances, and Xavi got a new role of keeping possesion of the ball whenever possible, which limited him a bit I reckon, although he still created opportunities for his team-mates, just more indirectly. His consistency is also worth mentioning, rarely had a bad game in those 4 years. At his peak, he was the best midfielder of his generation. However, his later years haven't been too kind on him. At the moment, he is a shadow of his former self.

As for Pirlo, I love him. But I always feel he is an attacking midfielder becoming a deeplinglying playmaker due to his lack of an engine. His playing style is awesome to watch. His elegance just outshines every other player on the pitch. I think that to get the best out of him, you need a player like Gattuso or Vidal by his side who can offload some of his defensive work. Once you have that, he will dictate the whole midfield all by himself. His peak was probably in the 04/05 season, where Milan looked the best, they ever did, in that decade (as far as I recal). But after that season, his level of performence declined, season after season. I don't know why people forget that. He looked dire 3-4 seasons in a row. To me, it seemed like he needed a new challenge since Milan won the CL in 2007. Luckily, he got that challenge when he signed for Juventus and accordingly got back to performing at a world class level despite him getting on a bit age wise.

Overall, I think Xavi has been the better player when you think about the fact that he was an integral part of possibly the greatest team ever. Some may argue that Xavi has always been surrounded by better players, but Pirlo also had the likes of Kaka, Seedorf and Shevchenko, not to mention the amazing back four of Cafu, Nesta, Stam and Maldini, by his side. In the present, Xavi has been on the decline for about two years now, while Pirlo is still able to boss a midfield. Only when the entire team is tailormade for him though mind. Pirlo is definitely the better player at the moment.
    messiah
    messiah

Post by messiah Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:42 pm

its funny how in every debate one can always predict what blue9 will say, X player played in more teams so he must be better and when you look over the years even if great players move, their career defining moments where at one particular team, playing one particular style.

pirlo isn't in the xavi discussion because of what he did at juve serie A is too crap now, is what he did at one club Milan and with his national team, that makes him a legend.

fey seems to have actually been watching many barca games over the years, to have noticed the decline in xavi's assist numbers with messi being moved to the false 9 position. his assist numbers overall are still off the charts.

Prime xavi, pirlo can't match that. prime xavi covered every inch of grass truly dominating play and proving assist after assist for his teammates, for 4 years he was so amazingly consistent it a wonder.

as for the he had better players argument, pirlo hasn't been playing with shit players over the years either, and he certainly wasn't milan's best player will kaka,sheva and seedoft were there.

the fact that xavi played in two of the very best teams ever and was the fulcrum the very essence of those teams, kills any talk of him not being the best player in those teams.

how many players in the history of football is better than, messi, ronaldinho in the prime?

he was arguable Spain's best on average in their first euros and WC as well and in the final of the last years showed Pirlo what truly dominating a midfield is all about.

I wont judge pirlo's juve years, giving the state of serie A since pirlo has been there, and its in juve that he is catching up with xavi on the league front and consistency level, because their were a few years at milan where he was meh.

barca always had madrid spending billions to fight against.

both are studs and along with iniesta my favorite midfielders of this generation.

if xavi had a water carrier, like pirlo has had over the years to do the running for him, maybe he would have aged as gracefully and we could still see both light up the pitch in their 40's. i think pirlo could do it, physicality was never a part of his game, so he could keep passing for years to come.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:55 pm

messiah wrote:
    both are studs

Xavi vs Pirlo Dale
    messiah
    messiah

Post by messiah Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:06 pm

xavi also equals pirlo's goal tally for Italy as well 13 each, xavi has more games though.

pirlo has more important goals though

I quote these because they genuinely surprised me.

also xavi though one year younger than pirlo has played 96 games more, thats a good season and a half, that and the fact that he runs more than pirlo, probably explains why he has aged much worst that pirlo.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:45 pm

shazlx wrote:
     ok 

2 faggots trying their best to be football hipsters  Doh 

stinger

Number of posts : 6477
    Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:47 pm

Jaime wrote:It would really have been interesting to see if one or both had ventured out of their domestic leagues during their best years.

Blut is probably not far off although Pirlo has things in his game that Xavi never had like free kicks & penalty kicks.
    Xavi apparently is rumoured to be a quality penalty taker... who was stopped from doing it by Ronaldinho and Messi in their prime.

He scored a penalty against PSG during previous season of Champions League and apparently it was a first he scored it for Barcelona (maybe it includes only CL games, not sure).

Not really surprised with Xavi scoring more than Pirlo, especially after he was moved up the pitch (he started his career playing very deep in front of the defensive line in Guardiola mould) he was reliable threat thanks to his well timed runs in the box. not Lampard/Gerrard-esque of course, but still good  Very Happy

bluenine wrote:Both great players, playing similar roles but couldn't be more different.

However, IMO Pirlo is a different level of a player than Xavi. Xavi played with the same club and his national team also played the same style. He does his role remarkably well, but Pirlo has so much more skill to his game. Pirlo has proved himself in counter attacking teams, catenaccio style teams, possession football style, almost any tactical style you can think of. He has had to reinvent himself, but because he can so much talent & skill (specially the through passes) he has adapted so easily. Pirlo also has been the best player for almost any team he has played, can't say that for Xavi.

That is why such comparisons are unfair. I am sure Xavi is far better a player for tiki-taka football that he has always played, while Pirlo is better in any other style of football. So I would pick Pirlo.
    Yeah, thats because he never had to play alongside Ronaldinho and Messi in their prime. During AC Milan glory days Pirlo was clearly behind Kaka and probably Seedord was on similar level (and importance) to him.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:48 pm

Xavi also scored a great penalty in WC2002 against Korea.

Pirlo actually had a poor conversion rate of freekicks from 06-10.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Post by Jaime Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:15 am

I don't remember him taking a penalty in 2002 or the one in PSG. So it probably didn't happen. Biggrin He lacks the testicles.
    stinger

Number of posts : 6477
    Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:37 am

Jaime wrote:I don't remember him taking a penalty in 2002 or the one in PSG. So it probably didn't happen. Biggrin He lacks the testicles.
    It just means your anti-Barca bias is getting worse (I mean better - from your perspective). Or you just are getting old  Smile 
    abundance
    abundance

Number of posts : 1514
    Supports : FC Inter
    Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:12 am

Pirlo is a huge footballer,but Xavi is by far the better midfielder
    abundance
    abundance

Number of posts : 1514
    Supports : FC Inter
    Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:15 am

Fey wrote:As for Pirlo, I love him. But I always feel he is an attacking midfielder becoming a deeplinglying playmaker due to his lack of an engine.
    And I see now that it's been already set.
    110%

Post by 110% Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:50 am

messiah wrote:strangely enough xavi has more goals than pirlo in his career, even i was shocked to see that given pirlo is a ace freekick taker

Their goal stats are rather low because basically neither are good at shooting from distance. It's more strange for Pirlo who can take a great freekick from distance. Xavi is all about the short sideways passing, so if he finds himself 20 metres out with no-one in front of him, he'd still pass it sideways.

Xavi's better assist stats are easily explained playing alongside messi. He passes to messi at the halfway line, messi dribbles around 3 players and scores, assist to xavi Wink.

Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:33 pm

If only they had 10 hopeful long range punts per game like some midfielders.
    110%

Post by 110% Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:48 pm

Kimbo wrote:If only they had 10 hopeful long range punts per game like some midfielders.

Cabaye? Yes, he is a bit of a hit and hope merchant, but he does score occasionally. I just get the feeling that for all the people sucking xavi off, he really can't shoot from distance, which for me is like a midfielder not being able to tackle well (e.g. scholes) or not having good stamina (e.g. Pirlo). Basically every midfielder has their weaknesses, but we seem to overlook those of xavi and pirlo because we're too busy admiring the passing ability.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Post by Jaime Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:53 pm

110% wrote:

Their goal stats are rather low because basically neither are good at shooting from distance. It's more strange for Pirlo who can take a great freekick from distance. Xavi is all about the short sideways passing,  so if he finds himself 20 metres out with no-one in front of him, he'd still pass it sideways.

Xavi's better assist stats are easily explained playing alongside messi. He passes to messi at the halfway line, messi dribbles around 3 players and scores, assist to xavi Wink.  

To be fair, Xavi *used* to play some really terrific through passes but that has become less and less as time has passed. Now he has almost zero assists. Put it this way, last season Nabil El Zhar had more assists than Xavi. Ale

Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:05 pm

110% wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:If only they had 10 hopeful long range punts per game like some midfielders.

Cabaye? Yes, he is a bit of a hit and hope merchant, but he does score occasionally. I just get the feeling that for all the people sucking xavi off, he really can't shoot from distance, which for me is like a midfielder not being able to tackle well (e.g. scholes) or not having good stamina (e.g. Pirlo). Basically every midfielder has their weaknesses, but we seem to overlook those of xavi and pirlo because we're too busy admiring the passing ability.

Not at all Cabaye. Very good player though, France did well to choose him as their playmaker, I wish England had someone that could play that role in midfield.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 9:33 am