Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
bluenine
Pierre Littbarski
messiah
shazlx
Pras_tama
110%
Axeslammer
BoBo Vieri 32
blutgraetsche
Fey
Jaime
15 posters

Xavi vs Pirlo

Poll

Which of the midfield maestros is better?

[ 8 ]
    Xavi vs Pirlo - Page 2 Bar_left50%Xavi vs Pirlo - Page 2 Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 8 ]
    Xavi vs Pirlo - Page 2 Bar_left50%Xavi vs Pirlo - Page 2 Bar_right [50%] 

Total Votes: 16
    110%

Number of posts : 8978
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Xavi vs Pirlo - Page 2 Empty Re: Xavi vs Pirlo

Post by 110% Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:49 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    110% wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:If only they had 10 hopeful long range punts per game like some midfielders.

Cabaye? Yes, he is a bit of a hit and hope merchant, but he does score occasionally. I just get the feeling that for all the people sucking xavi off, he really can't shoot from distance, which for me is like a midfielder not being able to tackle well (e.g. scholes) or not having good stamina (e.g. Pirlo). Basically every midfielder has their weaknesses, but we seem to overlook those of xavi and pirlo because we're too busy admiring the passing ability.

Not at all Cabaye. Very good player though, France did well to choose him as their playmaker, I wish England had someone that could play that role in midfield.

He does well in France's 3-man midfield. He'd be on his way home in England's 2-man midfield.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:36 pm

110% wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:
    110% wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:If only they had 10 hopeful long range punts per game like some midfielders.

Cabaye? Yes, he is a bit of a hit and hope merchant, but he does score occasionally. I just get the feeling that for all the people sucking xavi off, he really can't shoot from distance, which for me is like a midfielder not being able to tackle well (e.g. scholes) or not having good stamina (e.g. Pirlo). Basically every midfielder has their weaknesses, but we seem to overlook those of xavi and pirlo because we're too busy admiring the passing ability.

Not at all Cabaye. Very good player though, France did well to choose him as their playmaker, I wish England had someone that could play that role in midfield.

He does well in France's 3-man midfield. He'd be on his way home in England's 2-man midfield.

Certainly if he had to play alongside one of England's unathletic donkeys.
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
    Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:36 pm

110% wrote:

Because passing is singlehandedly the most important trait of a midfielder...
    110%

Post by 110% Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:59 pm

Hlebagone wrote:
    110% wrote:

Because passing is singlehandedly the most important trait of a midfielder...

I don't know if that works in any area of the pitch in the modern game and least of all the central midfielder. It's like with keepers, is the ability to save shots single-handedly the most important trait of a keeper? The Nigerian keeper was pretty awesome at that, but then he spilled a cross and game over.

For me there is no single trait that a midfielder has to have. He has to be pretty good in a range of them (both technical and physical), and they are all inter-related. If he can read the game then he can defend and attack, if he gets into a defensive position then being able to tackle helps, if he gets into an attacking position then being able to shoot also helps. The ability to shoot from long-range is a trait for a central midfielder because he is the one most likely to be in front of goal 20 metres out.
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Post by Hlebagone Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:24 pm

Oh yay another tedious debate.

In my conception of football it's pretty clear that the ability to use the football well in midfield is a fundamental aspect to any team's success, regardless of if it's ticki-tacka, or quick ruthless breaks, initiated  by a midfielder.

The idea that *that* Barcelona team were flawed because Xavi wasn't twatting them from 25 yards enough is preposterous.

Obviously there are more aspects to being a midfielder, but I think this is the most important one, as illustrated by the vast majority of successful teams, and England's perpetual failings at World Cups. But no, Gerrard can tackle and shoot well, so he must be a better midfielder.  Rolling Eyes
    110%

Post by 110% Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:45 pm

Then don't make it about gerrard. My point was still about both xavi and pirlo being overrated, and pointing out their weaknesses. Fine you prefer midfielders who are good at one thing whether it is short passing like xavi, long passing like pirlo, covering a lot of ground like roy keane, shooting like lampard etc. I prefer midfielders who can do everything pretty well while not being the best at any one particular thing. You can make it about all about yaya toure. If he was the best passer maybe he'd have been wished happy birthday.
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Post by Hlebagone Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:48 pm

Like who? What jack of all trades would you have other Xavi or Pirlo?
    110%

Post by 110% Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:58 pm

I just said yaya. Also sweinsteiger, maybe modric. I prefer pirlo to xavi, but I prefer other midfielders to pirlo.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:01 pm

Hlebagone wrote:Like who? What jack of all trades would you have other Xavi or Pirlo?

Gerrard
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:01 pm

Hlebagone wrote:Oh yay another tedious debate.

In my conception of football it's pretty clear that the ability to use the football well in midfield is a fundamental aspect to any team's success, regardless of if it's ticki-tacka, or quick ruthless breaks, initiated  by a midfielder.

The idea that *that* Barcelona team were flawed because Xavi wasn't twatting them from 25 yards enough is preposterous.

Obviously there are more aspects to being a midfielder, but I think this is the most important one, as illustrated by the vast majority of successful teams, and England's perpetual failings at World Cups. But no, Gerrard can tackle and shoot well, so he must be a better midfielder.  Rolling Eyes

Meh
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Post by Hlebagone Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:04 pm

You would have Schweinsteiger or Modric over Pirlo or Xavi? Ok, think that'll do.

110%

Post by 110% Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:12 pm

Hlebagone wrote:You would have Schweinsteiger or Modric over Pirlo or Xavi? Ok, think that'll do.

Obviously I'm saying that I don't have iniesta and buquets to tiki-taka with, to bore the fuck out of me. If I could just choose one midfielder on their own I'd rather have a good all-rounder.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:14 pm

I don't think Schweinsteiger is an bad suggestion, much better than Gerrard, right 110%?  ok ok ok ok 
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Post by Hlebagone Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:16 pm

I'm unsure know whether this is a discussion as to who's the better midfielder, or who we'd rather invite round to dinner.

I'm still flabbergasted that someone could watch English teams, and the English national team for so many years, and conclude: the way forward for midfielders are those that get around the park, can pass a bit, and let to hit one from 20 yards. Every England performance must be a major shock for you.

Even using the example of Modric - it's passing that makes him the player he is. He's just marginally better at covering ground, and tackling than Xavi is.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:16 pm

De Rossi > Pirlo because De Rossi can do everything - run, pass, tackle, elbow etc.
    110%

Post by 110% Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:16 pm

Kimbo wrote:I don't think Schweinsteiger is an bad suggestion, much better than Gerrard, right 110%?  ok ok ok ok 

Better than cabaye at least
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Post by Hlebagone Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:17 pm

110% wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:I don't think Schweinsteiger is an bad suggestion, much better than Gerrard, right 110%?  ok ok ok ok 

ZINGGGGGG
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Post by Hlebagone Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:18 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:De Rossi > Pirlo because De Rossi can do everything - run, pass, tackle, elbow etc.

Joey Barton can run, pass, tackle, elbow, be homophobic, injure team mates. The complete package.
    110%

Post by 110% Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:22 pm

Hlebagone wrote:I'm unsure know whether this is a discussion as to who's the better midfielder, or who we'd rather invite round to dinner.

I'm still flabbergasted that someone could watch English teams, and the English national team for so many years, and conclude: the way forward for midfielders are those that get around the park, can pass a bit, and let to hit one from 20 yards. Every England performance must be a major shock for you.

Even using the example of Modric - it's passing that makes him the player he is. He's just marginally better at covering ground, and tackling than Xavi is.

Modric was a maybe, there are just a lack of all rounders these days. I preferred in the past players likes gullit and rijkard to xavi and pirlo. I wouldn't mind Pirlo coming round for dinner, seems like a nice chap, xavi seems like a rat-faced c**t though
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Post by Hlebagone Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:25 pm

Isn't that then indicative of how the game has changed, and the attributes required to be reach the highest level of the game in that position?
    110%

Post by 110% Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:28 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:De Rossi > Pirlo because De Rossi can do everything - run, pass, tackle, elbow etc.

It should be along the lines of read game, run, pass, tackle, shoot in no particular order. De rossi can do 4 out of the 5 pretty well, pirlo can do 2 extremely well. The solution for Italy was therefore to make de rossi do the running and tackling to free up pirlo to do the passing, so Pirlo gets to look better, and everyone gets to cream themselves over him, while Italy go out. We'll never know if they might have been better off without pirlo.
    110%

Post by 110% Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:30 pm

Hlebagone wrote:

Joey Barton can run, pass, tackle, elbow, be homophobic, injure team mates. The complete package.

About the same as cabaye  ok 
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:36 pm

110% wrote:

It won't be long until Cabaye is world champion, and such arguments will be futile.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:37 pm

110% wrote:
    Hlebagone wrote:

About the same as cabaye  ok 

Barton, Cabaye, Gerrard, 2 of these players have been involved in a cowardly drunken assault, who is the other one?
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:38 pm

110% wrote:

It should be along the lines of read game, run, pass, tackle, shoot in no particular order. De rossi can do 4 out of the 5 pretty well, pirlo can do 2 extremely well. The solution for Italy was therefore to make de rossi do the running and tackling to free up pirlo to do the passing, so Pirlo gets to look better, and everyone gets to cream themselves over him, while Italy go out. We'll never know if they might have been better off without pirlo.

2010 World Cup?

or perhaps you should have a look at what Italy's midfield was like like before Pirlo came along.

Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Post by Hlebagone Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:40 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
    110% wrote:

2010 World Cup?

or perhaps you should have a look at what Italy's midfield was like like before Pirlo came along.

But the running and tackling are so much easier than the passing. Simone Perrota did the running and tackling bit for Italy. And he's not very good at football. For every 100 running and tackling players, there's one Pirlo/Xavi.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:42 pm

Joey Barton could have been so much better, his managers have generally misunderstood what he's good at along with everyone else.

Post by Guest Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:36 pm

110% wrote:I just said yaya. Also sweinsteiger, maybe modric. I prefer pirlo to xavi, but I prefer other midfielders to pirlo.

Yaya Toure over Xavi.  Laughing

Yes the same Yaya Toure who plays shit in the CL every year. Other teams midfielders just buzz around him while the big lazy oaf just stands there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 3:40 pm