Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+29
S4P
RedDevil
The Easter Bunny
blutgraetsche
Murray
Jaime
Hlebagone
shazlx
Isco Benny
COTR
The Chosen Glenn
Antarion
stinger
ERIK LAMELA
debaser
Fey
DD
Brian 2468
bluenine
110%
BoBo Vieri 32
Roger Hunt
messiah
Pierre Littbarski
Deluded F*ck™
Kimbo
Rosicky
Luis
christmasborocooper
33 posters

The Next England Squad

Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

The Next England Squad - Page 6 Empty Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Roger Hunt Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:48 pm

And the 4th actually has a World Cup win on his CV, to justify his money....
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by COTR Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:07 pm

It's no wonder the Hodge Podge is sitting tight

£6m a year to do the equivalent of sweet FA. His only responsibility is to do a few press conferences a year. Lucky bastard.
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115

Post by Roger Hunt Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:11 pm

Don't forget his critical role of working with young players, and never ever criticising the FA hierarchy for anything.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:07 pm

England fans and the media are responsible for him stealing this living. The worse he does the more he'll be revered - it's a really sad state of affairs but we can always blame Gerrard when we are a shambles in the Euros and if he has retired by then we can blame Rooney  <Ale> 
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:35 pm

Why does 1 person have to be to blame?
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:15 am

A lot has been made of the graduates from Germany's Under-21 team in 2009. Such as by me in this piece. But have a look at the England team that played that day.

England U21: Loach, Cranie (Gardner 80), Richards, Onuoha (Mancienne 46), Gibbs, Cattermole, Muamba (Rodwell 77), Noble, Milner, Walcott, Johnson. Subs Not Used: Lewis, Taylor, Stearman, Tomkins, Driver, Rose.

And how about the Class of 2007? Who played when England got to the semi-finals of the European Championships and lost to Holland on penalties? Feast your eyes on this motley crew.

England U21: Carson, Hoyte, Taylor, Onuoha, Baines, Milner, Reo-Coker, Noble, Young, Nugent, Lita. Subs: Hart, Alnwick, Ferdinand, Cahill, Richardson, Routledge, Rosenior, Derbyshire, Vaughan, Whittingham.

The class of 2011? Here's the team that went out in the first round.

England (4-2-3-1): Fielding, Walker, Jones, Smalling, Bertrand; Muamba, Henderson; Cleverley, Sturridge, Sinclair; Welbeck. Subs: McCarthy, Mancienne, Albrighton, Tomkins, Cork, Lansbury, Rodwell, Rose, Delfouneso, Wickham, Steele.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/10/world-cup-2014-day-29-live#start-of-comments

Hmm...
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:55 pm

Kimbo wrote:Why does 1 person have to be to blame?

It's called "scapegoating". You single out someone or something for blame, and then focus attention on it.

I blame England's early departure on bad tactics and bad refereeing. But people lose focus because that is 2 things, so I need to bring up Hodgson individually when it fits my agenda, and the referee at other times, again to suit my agenda. You also blame certain players, but I am a bit more reserved on that side as I recognise that the players tried their best and they had been sent out with completely the wrong game-plan.

The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson

Post by The Easter Bunny Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:03 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:

A lot has been made of the graduates from Germany's Under-21 team in 2009. Such as by me in this piece. But have a look at the England team that played that day.

England U21: Loach, Cranie (Gardner 80), Richards, Onuoha (Mancienne 46), Gibbs, Cattermole, Muamba (Rodwell 77), Noble, Milner, Walcott, Johnson. Subs Not Used: Lewis, Taylor, Stearman, Tomkins, Driver, Rose.

And how about the Class of 2007? Who played when England got to the semi-finals of the European Championships and lost to Holland on penalties? Feast your eyes on this motley crew.

England U21: Carson, Hoyte, Taylor, Onuoha, Baines, Milner, Reo-Coker, Noble, Young, Nugent, Lita. Subs: Hart, Alnwick, Ferdinand, Cahill, Richardson, Routledge, Rosenior, Derbyshire, Vaughan, Whittingham.

The class of 2011? Here's the team that went out in the first round.

England (4-2-3-1): Fielding, Walker, Jones, Smalling, Bertrand; Muamba, Henderson; Cleverley, Sturridge, Sinclair; Welbeck. Subs: McCarthy, Mancienne, Albrighton, Tomkins, Cork, Lansbury, Rodwell, Rose, Delfouneso, Wickham, Steele.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/10/world-cup-2014-day-29-live#start-of-comments

Hmm...

Stearman was quality in the Euros that year cheers
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:26 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28401056

Steven Gerrard: England captain quits international football

The Next England Squad - Page 6 Dwightshrutecelebrating
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:27 pm

England captain Steven Gerrard retires from international football

• Gerrard made 114 England appearances over 14 years
    • ‘It is a sad day for me,’ says Liverpool captain

Steven Gerrard has announced his international retirement with immediate effect, the Football Association has confirmed.

The Liverpool captain, 34, made his debut in 2000 in a 2-0 win over Ukraine at Wembley and went on to win 114 England caps, scoring 21 times as he appeared in six major tournaments.

“I have enjoyed every minute of representing my country and it is a sad day for me knowing that I won’t pull on the England shirt again,” said Gerrard. “However, I do look forward to continuing my strong relationship with the FA and helping out in any way I can going forward. I’d like to firstly thank my family and friends for all their support throughout my England journey.

“I’d also like to thank everyone who has been part of my international career, from the England managers I’ve played under to the staff at the FA and, of course, all the players I’ve been fortunate to play alongside,” Gerrard added. “In particular, the supporters have been amazing, not least in Brazil when they got behind the team despite the disappointing results.

“I’d especially like to thank Roy [Hodgson], firstly for giving me the captaincy permanently when he took the job, making me the proudest man in the country and allowing me to fulfil my childhood dream. He has been very understanding over the past few weeks and is a man I will always hold in the highest regard.

“This has been a very difficult decision, one of the toughest I’ve had to make in my career. I have agonised over this since coming back from Brazil and have spoken to family, friends and people close to me in the game before coming to this point.

“Most importantly, Brendan [Rodgers] has been fantastic and obviously I have to look after my body as much as possible to ensure I can give everything when I take to the field.

“To ensure I can keep playing to a high level and giving everything to Liverpool Football Club I believe this is the right decision, and having Champions League football back at Anfield is another big factor in my decision.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/21/england-captain-steven-gerrard-retires-international-football-liverpool
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:28 pm

114 caps, one more than Lahm. Who is going to be the next England captain? Or who should be the next captain rather?
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:29 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:114 caps, one more than Lahm. Who is going to be the next England captain? Or who should be the next captain rather?

I expect Rooney will get it, because England will England. There is no decent candidate tbh, I'd just pass it about until someone proves themselves.
    Luis
    Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:57 pm

England is saved  cheers 
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:08 pm

Who gets given captaincy shouldn't be that important in and of itself (though I daresay players egos make it so), but we need leaders in the team & that may well be where Gerrard is most missed.

yeah it'll most likely be Rooney who is picked. it'd be justified in the sense that he's by far most senior player in terms of caps now (assuming Lampard also gone). but I don't like that that'll make him even more cemented as automatic pick regardless of formation/tactics. and while he has matured a bit, I'm not convinced he's a leader.

only other one I could see being picked is Hart. Jagielka would be okay but don't think he'll still be 1st choice in a year or two.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:11 pm

Who would you consider as undroppable in the current squad? Who is the first name on the team sheet?

I prefer to have midfielders or defenders as captain.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:13 pm

debaser wrote:Who gets given captaincy shouldn't be that important in and of itself (though I daresay players egos make it so), but we need leaders in the team & that may well be where Gerrard is most missed.

yeah it'll most likely be Rooney who is picked. it'd be justified in the sense that he's by far most senior player in terms of caps now (assuming Lampard also gone). but I don't like that that'll make him even more cemented as automatic pick regardless of formation/tactics. and while he has matured a bit, I'm not convinced he's a leader.

only other one I could see being picked is Hart. Jagielka would be okay but don't think he'll still be 1st choice in a year or two.

Gerrard wasn't a leader though, England haven't had one for years, and i'm not sure where the next one comes from.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:16 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Who would you consider as undroppable in the current squad? Who is the first name on the team sheet?

I prefer to have midfielders or defenders as captain.

To the FA and Hodgson the answer is Rooney, as silly as that is. For me I would say Cahill or Henderson, but neither is ideal.

Hoddle's theory in selecting Shearer as captain was apparently that he wanted his scariest player at the front in the tunnel, but he was very into that sort of psychological guff.
    COTR
    COTR

Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:59 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    debaser wrote:Who gets given captaincy shouldn't be that important in and of itself (though I daresay players egos make it so), but we need leaders in the team & that may well be where Gerrard is most missed.

Gerrard wasn't a leader though, England haven't had one for years, and i'm not sure where the next one comes from.

In the sense he didn't do a John Terry lionheart roaaaarrrrrr every time he took the field ?

Gerrard was the most respected England player by a mile. If he said something the players would have listened. No obvious candidate to fill that void now, not that it is even important.
    RedDevil
    RedDevil

Number of posts : 57
    Supports : Man Utd
    Favourite Player : Rooney
    Registration date : 2014-06-27

Post by RedDevil Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:06 pm

COTR wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

In the sense he didn't do a John Terry lionheart roaaaarrrrrr every time he took the field ?

Gerrard was the most respected England player by a mile. If he said something the players would have listened. No obvious candidate to fill that void now, not that it is even important.

No one gave a toss what gerrard had to say.

He is a born loser.

Rooney is the ideal choice.
    COTR
    COTR

Post by COTR Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:07 pm

What language does Rooney speak ?
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:13 pm

COTR wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

Well in what way was he a leader? He wasn't vocal, he couldn't organise, he didn't lead by example by playing well(though perhaps this is what he tried to do). Just because you like him it doesn't make him a leader, I like Coloccini but he's not much of a captain.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:55 pm

Lampard hasn't retired from international football yet AFAIK. What about him?
    Rosicky
    Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
    Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
    Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:41 pm

Stop trolling blut.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:42 pm

Trolling? What about Lamps, isn't he going to retire?
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:46 pm

I remember when Stevie G made his debut, I remember him watching on some footballshow in the morning on the BBC, and people thought he would be as good as Owen. Not much later he made a really sick tackle, and people thought he would never make it.

Good for Liverpool, was horrible for England. Except for the 1-5.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:57 pm

I wonder who'll be remembered more fondly once they finish their careers. Gerrard will probably be favoured in England, while on the continent, Lampard was / is rated higher.
    RedDevil
    RedDevil

Number of posts : 57
    Supports : Man Utd
    Favourite Player : Rooney
    Registration date : 2014-06-27

Post by RedDevil Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:25 pm

Gerrard best England assist?
    Either the one for Suarez or the one for Henry in 2004
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
    Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:26 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:I wonder who'll be remembered more fondly once they finish their careers. Gerrard will probably be favoured in England, while on the continent, Lampard was / is rated higher.

But who is better, Gerrard or Lampard??????
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:27 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:I wonder who'll be remembered more fondly once they finish their careers. Gerrard will probably be favoured in England, while on the continent, Lampard was / is rated higher.

Gerrard, he played for Liverpool, media darlings.
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:40 pm

Yeah the media love us  Laughing 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:22 am