Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+29
S4P
RedDevil
The Easter Bunny
blutgraetsche
Murray
Jaime
Hlebagone
shazlx
Isco Benny
COTR
The Chosen Glenn
Antarion
stinger
ERIK LAMELA
debaser
Fey
DD
Brian 2468
bluenine
110%
BoBo Vieri 32
Roger Hunt
messiah
Pierre Littbarski
Deluded F*ck™
Kimbo
Rosicky
Luis
christmasborocooper
33 posters

The Next England Squad

110%

Number of posts : 8978
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

The Next England Squad - Page 8 Empty Re: The Next England Squad

Post by 110% Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:12 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:The W-M formation was very poular during Brian's childhood years...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_%28association_football%29#WM

Thanks  <Ale> 

They also have the 1-6-3 formation:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_%28association_football%29#1.E2.80.936.E2.80.933

Also known as the kamikaze formation, I'm going to love it if barcelona play like that
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115

Post by Roger Hunt Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:32 am

I have to say that I think all the stuff about the small number of English players in the Premiership ignores the bigger issue that the last time an English manager won it it was still the First Division.

Any lack of intelligence or tactical flexibility in the English game has to first and foremost be laid at the feet of managers and coaches, and by extension the FA.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:41 pm

Roger Hunt wrote:I have to say that I think all the stuff about the small number of English players in the Premiership ignores the bigger issue that the last time an English manager won it it was still the First Division.

Any lack of intelligence or tactical flexibility in the English game has to first and foremost be laid at the feet of managers and coaches, and by extension the FA.

They never mention this, English managers are shite, but pundits and journalists seem intent on protecting them. If you ask them if Allardyce and Pardew are two of the top English managers in the game they would answer yes, and that is a massive problem, no young player is going to fulfill their potential under those two. In the case of Pardew he hates playing young players, he prefers to send them of on loan and totally forget about them. Bigirimana looked an excellent prospect, then one day he disappeared off the face of the earth, meanwhile Pards is playing fat arse Dan Gosling, a player with no attributes and whose contract was expiring. Same upfront, we have 2 promising strikers, but he wanted to play Shola fucking Ameobi.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:56 pm

Roger Hunt wrote:I have to say that I think all the stuff about the small number of English players in the Premiership ignores the bigger issue that the last time an English manager won it it was still the First Division.

part of the problem here is the money in the Premier League and the structure that has resulted - there's a big chunk of clubs who can't compete financially at the top end so their ambitions extend no further than finishing 10th-17th to keep the TV money rolling in. and these will generally just go for those English managers who are seen as 'safe pair of hands' and can be relied on to deliver safety in the short term, with scant regard for long-term: Allardyce, Bruce, Pulis, Pardew, etc.

there seems to be only two ways a new unproven English manager gets into the Premier league:
    - by taking a team up from the Championship, but then they tend to be sacked at the first whiff of trouble (McDermott at Reading, Adkins at Southampton). interesting to see if Dyche at Burnley and Pearson at Leicester follow same route.
    - picked as midseason replacement (Sherwood, Monk), also tend to be on a knife-edge from the start and sacked quickly.

now I don't know that are many/any really good coaches who can't get a breakthrough, but either way this set-up encourages coaches to be negative and short-termist. Would like to think Brendan Rodgers example will lead the way for others, but that remains to be seen.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:54 pm

Sherwood was clueless, whilst Monk stands a chance having been brought up in the culture of Swansea.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:32 pm

I think the lack of English coaches is a well known problem. Not just on the top level, but more crucially, the grass roots level. The number of UEFA licensed coaches is ridiculously low compared to other major nations.

Less known is the aspect I mentioned. You usually hear that English players are "not good enough" after a disappointing tournament. But you rarely hear why. Fact of the matter is that England have tried many experienced, qualified and competent managers over the years, foreign and English, but the problem of players playing nowhere near their club form remained.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:26 pm

Do coaching courses for the various badges cost the same throughout Europe? I asked a mate once who was doing whatever the first licence is and he was saying it costs thousands and quite a bit of time off work if you're an average Joe. The costs versus the chances of getting a job seemed quite crazy.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:46 pm

Having an English players quota would probably be a good idea, say 4/5 starting players have to be English. Though you would have to have rules preventing the rich clubs from hoovering up all the talent. It would force clubs to take their academies seriously and to give their players a chance. It would be seen as far too extreme by most, but I think that sort of thing is what it will take for a club like Newcastle. Maybe the academies could be used for the badges aswell, I don't know where you actually have to go to do it, Steve Harper and Barton fucked off to Ireland to do theirs.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:02 pm

christmasborocooper wrote:Do coaching courses for the various badges cost the same throughout Europe? I asked a mate once who was doing whatever the first licence is and he was saying it costs thousands and quite a bit of time off work if you're an average Joe. The costs versus the chances of getting a job seemed quite crazy.

Apparently not, no. Costs seem to vary considerably:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Pro_Licence#Statistics

In Germany it's considerably cheaper than in England or even Spain. But Spain who have the most licensed coaches is still much cheaper than England. Maybe the English FA should consider reducing the prices.
    110%

Post by 110% Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:16 am

Sami Amoebi decides to follow his heart and play for the country of his parents birth, that he visited once in the winter (I may have exaggerated this):
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28674516

Neither country has tried to cap him, like they would if he was any good  Very Happy 
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:12 pm

Lampard follows Gerrard in retiring from England. the golden generation is finally gone!

interesting to see what the squad looks like for the games next week. rumours Delph & Ward-Prowse will be in, along with Chambers & maybe Berahino. perhaps a kneejerk call-up for Dier?
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:50 pm

110% wrote:Sami Amoebi decides to follow his heart and play for the country of his parents birth, that he visited once in the winter (I may have exaggerated this):
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28674516

Neither country has tried to cap him, like they would if he was any good  Very Happy 

Sammy has talent, he's got good skills, but that doesn't translate to being a good player. If he had come through at another club he might have made it.
    Di Caniooooo!

Number of posts : 10829
    Supports : West Ham
    Favourite Player : Paolo Di Canio, Moore, Hurst, Peters
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Di Caniooooo! Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:24 pm

How in the world has Noble not been called up yet?
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:47 pm

Di Caniooooo! wrote:How in the world has Noble not been called up yet?

Sunderland fans are saying the same about Cattermole. Coffee
    Di Caniooooo!

Post by Di Caniooooo! Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:30 pm

Oh please, Noble>Cattermole

Noble rated 25th in passes per 90 minutes, but had a better OPA. Also rated 5th in long ball accuracy, Gerrard was 6th.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:37 pm

Noble is as average as Cattermole. Colback has somehow got a call up though.
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:56 pm

Very happy for Delph. well deserved. we really need to sort his contract though, runs out at the end of the season. would be big mistake to lose him for nothing.

England is very short in centre mid at the minute, which is why he and Colback have got in. lots of injuries plus Gerrard & Lampard gone

not sure how Townsend got back in though Erm
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:22 pm

happy for Rose & Townsend, they've both had an excellent seasons playing for the league leaders Smiley
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:29 pm

Rose I can understand - Gibbs & Shaw injured, Cole retired. not many other choices I can think of as backup LB.

Townsend hasn't done anything this calendar year.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:05 pm

We're living in a world where Hodgson is England manager, Rooney is England captain and Rose, Delph and Townsend are all given call ups.

It's happened. We have sunk into the British abyss with Wales, Scotland and Ireland.
    RedDevil
    RedDevil

Number of posts : 57
    Supports : Man Utd
    Favourite Player : Rooney
    Registration date : 2014-06-27

Post by RedDevil Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:26 pm

What's wrong with having Rooney as captain?

He's better than loser Gerrard
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:29 pm

Colback being called up is brilliant news, not because he's any good, but because it has pissed off Sunderland massively.
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10247

Post by Murray Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:43 pm

That is the worst England squad for at least 20 years
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

Murray wrote:That is the worst England squad for at least 20 years

I'd rather have a mediocre squad that can play as a team.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:33 am

Roy Hodgson’s ‘Ginger Pirlo’ Jack Colback tipped to make England impact

A move from Sunderland to Newcastle revived the midfielder’s career and Alan Pardew believes he ticks the right boxes

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/28/roy-hodgson-jack-colback-england-newcastle-alan-pardew

'Ginger Pirlo'? Really?
    110%

Post by 110% Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:16 am

blutgraetsche wrote:

A move from Sunderland to Newcastle revived the midfielder’s career and Alan Pardew believes he ticks the right boxes

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/28/roy-hodgson-jack-colback-england-newcastle-alan-pardew

'Ginger Pirlo'? Really?

Scholes will be fuming no-one called him the ginger pirlo
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:36 am

blutgraetsche wrote:

'Ginger Pirlo'? Really?

the actual Hodgson quote was "'Someone who knows him very well called Jack the "ginger Pirlo" - let's hope that becomes true,'"

still, very stupid to use a phrase like that 'cause you know press will jump on it and there's nothing like giving a player an impossible tag to live up to. two perfect examples from my club: Moustapha Salifou, called 'the Togolese Zidane' by Adebayor. beared zero resemblance to ZZ. and back in the 90s, Nii Lamptey was dubbed by Pele his natural successor. well, we all know how accurate Pele's predictions tend to be Laughing
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:38 am

I never heard of him, that's why I asked. Is he any good or rather is there any reason to give him that nickname? Or is it meant in jest?
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:06 am

I haven't seen him enough to say tbh. I assume there's a bit of jest in it, but I guess also he's just using Pirlo as a comparison of midfield type, rather than ability.
    Di Caniooooo!

Post by Di Caniooooo! Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:38 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2737152/Mark-Noble-ready-play-Ireland-West-Ham-midfielder-gives-England-call-up.html

Noble looks as if he could turn out for Ireland instead, fed up waiting for the England call that won't come.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:31 pm