Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 U21 Euro

bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

2015 U21 Euro Empty 2015 U21 Euro

Post by bluenine Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:23 pm

The draw is out:

Group A: Czech Rep, Germany, Denmark, Serbia
    Group B: England, Italy, Portugal, Sweden

Looking forward to seeing how this new Azzurrini team does... the Azzurrini are no longer the powerhouse they used to be, but there is some decent young talent coming through. Some current and former Inter primavera players involved, Bardi will probably be the GK. Biraghi, Bianchetti, Crisetig, Benassi and Longo may also be in the squad. I am quite keen to see if 17 yr old Bonazzoli makes it to the squad, he has the talent. Other interesting players (if they don't make it to the senior squad by then) include Fiorentina's Bernardeschi, Palermo's Belotti and Juve's Berardi & Rugani.

Some other players who can play (but probably won't as they are in the Senior team) are El Shaarawy, De Sciglio, Verratti, & Perin. If these guys are allowed to play for U21, then the Azzurrini stand a good chance... IMO with the exception of De Sciglio, these players should be released for the Azzurrini because they are bench players at best for the senior team.

But I guess on basis of talent available England and Germany should be favorites. But the talented English players will probably refuse the call up, something I still find shocking that they are allowed to get away with that (and then Roy complains they don't have international tournament experience)... England could actually field a XI that looks like this:

Berahino - Kane
    Sterling - Wilshere - Barkley - Ox
    Shaw - Stones - Chambers - Dier
    Butland

Bench: Wisdom, Blackett, Jenkinson, Flanagan, Zaha, Shelvey, Ward-Prowse, Ince, Wickham, Ings

That kind of a squad could become favorites to win. But most likely, 90% of these would decline if called up. If I were Roy, I would release almost all youth players from the senior team for this tournament (maybe with 2-3 exceptions like Sterling).  And tell all others (who are about to break into the senior team) that he could only consider young players who have played for the U21 team for Euro 2014. But I doubt Roy has the balls to do something like that... won't happen.

So I guess Ze Germans and their endless conveyor belt are the team to beat. A bit surprised that Spain did not qualify...

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 8:18 am