Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Murray
christmasborocooper
debaser
Kimbo
Fey
Jaime
10 posters

2015 Women's World Cup

Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

2015 Women's World Cup Empty 2015 Women's World Cup

Post by Jaime Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:10 pm

Is anyone watching it? I haven't really been bothered but I didn't have anything else going on last night and I sat down and watched Japan-Netherlands and it was really quite entertaining.

England might actually have a chance to win it as well!

Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

2015 Women's World Cup Empty Re: 2015 Women's World Cup

Post by Fey Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:36 pm

Nope, it doesnt even fill my thirst for football, its just so bad. And the worst thing is it gets shoved down our throats. But if you go to Eurosport and watch the U-something world/eurocup, the quality is a lot higher there.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:12 pm

No, I'd be better off watching a local kids team. Growing up I didn't know of any schools where the girls even played football, we played football and Rugby, they played hockey and netball, so why the insistence on pushing women's football all of a sudden?
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:37 pm

Have seen a little bit. Tends to have some neat passing & decent technique but everyone stands off and it's quite slow paced - not particularly enthralling but not terrible. Games have the feel of international friendlies. But then there's the goalkeepers. I mean, I just googled 'women goalkeepers' and there's a fresh example from today's game..

http://video.eurosport.com/football/women-s-world-cup/2015/japan-keeper-ayumi-kaihori-has-shocker-with-terrible-error-against-netherlands_vid377563/video.shtml
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:44 pm

As with debaser.. I've watched a bit.. It's not abysmal. But it's not very good. And the keepers are hysterical. I feel bad for them to be honest. They just genuinely can't do the job.
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10245
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Murray Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:52 am

I watched a bit of a woman's game a few years ago. The biggest problem is the goalies are just too small. And incompetent. Maybe they should have smaller goalposts.
    Brian 2468

Number of posts : 1054
    Registration date : 2011-08-08

Post by Brian 2468 Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:55 pm

Canada v England on Saturday. Canada plays Hockey soccer they miss each other with their passes and give the ball up way to much. Seeded lower than England they do have a fighting spirit more often seen in hockey than in football. England pass and move better and should win. It will depend if they can deal with in your face footy Canada plays.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:18 am

England into the semi finals. Quality might be low, but those bitches could out PGD any men's team no problem.

Plus the right back Bronze can play. Spurs need to sign her up, she's better than Kyle Walker.

USA and England vs Germany and Japan. Sounds familiar....
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:37 pm

The goalkeeper though. A massive mistake every game.

Post by Guest Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:56 pm

Women's football....it's always good for a laugh. I turned it on for 5 minutes the other night and the quality was hysterical, forget physicality, it was their sense of balance and space that was hilarious. Women are so uncoordinated it's unbelievable.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:12 am

Semi final between England and Japan - England suffered last minute heartbreak scoring an own goal very reminiscent of Lampards "goal" against Germany in 2010 but in her own net. That was after edging the game in terms of chances and hitting the post in the second half. Have to say that despite the Comparable quality being lower, its been far more enjoyable watching the England women's team than the men's. They play with real spirit, lack of ego, there's a strong will tinged with naivety to the way all the teams across the entire competition have played which is incredibly refreshing. So much of the cynicism and play acting associated with the men's game doesn't exist. I was speaking to an American friend of mine and he compared it to why so many Americans prefer college sports to the "big" leagues (NBA / NFL etc) because there is a rawness to it which can be captivating despite the execution being inferior. These women's teams really try to win and do it by getting the ball into attacking areas as quickly as possible. It's been fun, definitely impressed after a slow start and more I've watched of this World Cup. Final should be good.

Post by Guest Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:52 am

The world is turning into a bunch of phaggots.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:45 pm

Isco Benny wrote:Semi final between England and Japan - England suffered last minute heartbreak scoring an own goal very reminiscent of Lampards "goal" against Germany in 2010 but in her own net. That was after edging the game in terms of chances and hitting the post in the second half. Have to say that despite the Comparable quality being lower, its been far more enjoyable watching the England women's team than the men's. They play with real spirit, lack of ego, there's a strong will tinged with naivety to the way all the teams across the entire competition have played which is incredibly refreshing. So much of the cynicism and play acting associated with the men's game doesn't exist. I was speaking to an American friend of mine and he compared it to why so many Americans prefer college sports to the "big" leagues (NBA / NFL etc) because there is a rawness to it which can be captivating despite the execution being inferior. These women's teams really try to win and do it by getting the ball into attacking areas as quickly as possible. It's been fun, definitely impressed after a slow start and more I've watched of this World Cup. Final should be good.

Apart from our player diving for a penalty. I haven't watched much of these games, but from what i've seen they dive as much as the men.
    Ä
    Ä

Number of posts : 11028
    Registration date : 2006-09-04

Post by Ä Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:12 pm

Isco Benny wrote:Semi final between England and Japan - England suffered last minute heartbreak scoring an own goal very reminiscent of Lampards "goal" against Germany in 2010 but in her own net. That was after edging the game in terms of chances and hitting the post in the second half. Have to say that despite the Comparable quality being lower, its been far more enjoyable watching the England women's team than the men's. They play with real spirit, lack of ego, there's a strong will tinged with naivety to the way all the teams across the entire competition have played which is incredibly refreshing. So much of the cynicism and play acting associated with the men's game doesn't exist. I was speaking to an American friend of mine and he compared it to why so many Americans prefer college sports to the "big" leagues (NBA / NFL etc) because there is a rawness to it which can be captivating despite the execution being inferior. These women's teams really try to win and do it by getting the ball into attacking areas as quickly as possible. It's been fun, definitely impressed after a slow start and more I've watched of this World Cup. Final should be good.

the decider was a real  beauty

pity the England player got temporarily confused which goal to aim at

the quality of the Women's World Cup is

AWFUL

and we are talking about the TOP sides here

including

Germany, Japan, the USA...

the German commentators trying to talk this up ,  by hyping those WORLD CLASS players

who shortly afterwards miss the easiest balls

does not make it better

the 15 year old boys on ANY Munich based training ground have better technical skills

YET

Bernd is right

there's a real MANNSCHAFTS feeling with women's football

reminiscent of school/college sports

the contrast to the England's men is indeed striking

the contrast to Germany's men is NOT though

in German pro football there are no EGOS left

it's all about the team, fair-play, being happy to sit on the bench as long as it's in the interest of the team...

the coaching staff even groom themselves or each other on the bench and happily exchange beauty tips on TV

anyway

more importantly

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/11712702/England-have-no-World-Cup-final-appearances-since-1966-while-Germany-have-nine-and-even-China-have-one.html

cheers

PS

why do losers always have to be declared HEROES in England

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/02/england-japan-postgame-coach-comments

the whole Dunkirk nonsense just seems to stick for eternity

Post by Guest Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:08 pm

f**k women's "football". I can't fucking stand it, I hate the way everyone is talking about it like it is actually relevant or something. PC gone mad.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:29 pm

Messi from La Masia wrote:f**k women's "football". I can't fucking stand it, I hate the way everyone is talking about it like it is actually relevant or something. PC gone mad.

Then don't watch it and don't bother with this thread.

The two semifinals were interesting. None of the women can seem to cross the ball in the air with any accuracy but apart from that the games, technically, have been pretty good I thought. USA couldn't handle Germany's high pressing, I don't know why they stopped doing it in the second half, I guess maybe they were tired. Too many bad penalties though, the referees don't seem to really know what is going on. I think the final will entertaining.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:33 pm

Ä wrote:

the decider was a real  beauty

pity the England player got temporarily confused which goal to aim at

the quality of the Women's World Cup is

AWFUL

and we are talking about the TOP sides here

including

Germany, Japan, the USA...

the German commentators trying to talk this up ,  by hyping those WORLD CLASS players

who shortly afterwards miss the easiest balls

does not make it better

the 15 year old boys on ANY Munich based training ground have better technical skills

YET

Bernd is right

there's a real MANNSCHAFTS feeling with women's football

reminiscent of school/college sports

the contrast to the England's men is indeed striking

the contrast to Germany's men is NOT though

in German pro football there are no EGOS left

it's all about the team, fair-play, being happy to sit on the bench as long as it's in the interest of the team...

the coaching staff even groom themselves or each other on the bench and happily exchange beauty tips on TV

anyway

more importantly

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/11712702/England-have-no-World-Cup-final-appearances-since-1966-while-Germany-have-nine-and-even-China-have-one.html

cheers

PS

why do losers always have to be declared HEROES in England

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/02/england-japan-postgame-coach-comments

the whole Dunkirk nonsense just seems to stick for eternity

Having watched the men's World Cup last year along with the under 21 euros this year and the copa America, we overrate the quality of the men's game vs the women's in my opinion. There is plenty of shoddy quality at international level in the men's game, the difference is the men's teams also apply tactics such as time wasting, feigning injury, shameless defensive caution and makes the doubly god awful to watch. Take Colombia in the Copa America for example adopting a cynical cautious style throughout culminating in trying to kick Argentina off the pitch in their game, no intention of competing to win, slowing the game down, parking the bus. Looking to take it to 90minutes and penalties (awful decision by Conmebol to remove extra time by the way). That kind of cynical gamesmanship really doesn't exist in women's football, it's still too naive and ultimately makes it compelling to watch as the first though by teams is to get the ball into attacking areas. Compelling in the same way that many prefer to watch lower league football or college sports over the big money leagues, the warts and all nature of competitive sport.

Anyway, the public reaction to Bassett's own goal was rather refreshing Otto. It's as if you can't remember back to the likes of Beckham or Phil Neville getting slain for their mistakes in World
    cups. Or waddle, Pearce and southgate. They weren't called heroes. Your comparison with Dunkirk sounds like lingering 70year old German bitterness. I think it's fairly normal behaviour to applaud rather than criticize an effort where overachievement is concerned - nobody expected England to get to the semis and take Japan all the way. The yanks were writing them off all competition for example, before gaining a new found respect. Fair play to them, did more than the men have in the last 20 years so it's natural to feel compelled to support not criticize them for their efforts.

Post by Guest Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:17 pm

Isco Benny wrote: Fair play to them, did more than the men have in the last 20 years so it's natural to feel compelled to support not criticize them for their efforts.

Not really, mens football is much more competitive than women's football. It is a much higher standard and thus it is a lot tougher to go deep into a competition. Think of the amount of boys/men play football in the world compared to girls/women. It's not even close.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:15 pm

Messi from La Masia wrote:
    Isco Benny wrote: Fair play to them, did more than the men have in the last 20 years so it's natural to feel compelled to support not criticize them for their efforts.

Not really, mens football is much more competitive than women's football. It is a much higher standard and thus it is a lot tougher to go deep into a competition. Think of the amount of boys/men play football in the world compared to girls/women. It's not even close.

I get your point, but England women right now are globally similar to the men's team in terms of comparative rankings during that 20 year time period with the rest of the world - falling somewhere between 6th and 10th best. Difference is that the women rose to the occassion and knocked out heavily fancied sides in Canada and Norway in the knock outs, and outplayed reigning champions Japan. An English men's team has not beaten what you would class as a truly top ranked men's side in the knock out stages of any senior tournament since England defeated Spain in '96. Which is frankly a disgrace to be honest.

There is an argument to be made that the English women's team does not have a heavy set burden of unrealistic expectation and failed history to deal with - the game barely turned pro in England until about a decade ago whilst the Yanks for example have been at it pushing the women's version of the sport since the late 70's.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:07 pm

Was this written by you 0trick?

2015 Women's World Cup 2qi1j4o
    stinger

Number of posts : 6477
    Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:08 pm

Isco Benny wrote:

Having watched the men's World Cup last year along with the under 21 euros this year and the copa America, we overrate the quality of the men's game vs the women's in my opinion. There is plenty of shoddy quality at international level in the men's game, the difference is the men's teams also apply tactics such as time wasting, feigning injury, shameless defensive caution and makes the doubly god awful to watch. Take Colombia in the Copa America for example adopting a cynical cautious style throughout culminating in trying to kick Argentina off the pitch in their game, no intention of competing to win, slowing the game down, parking the bus. Looking to take it to 90minutes and penalties (awful decision by Conmebol to remove extra time by the way). That kind of cynical gamesmanship really doesn't exist in women's football, it's still too naive and ultimately makes it compelling to watch as the first though by teams is to get the ball into attacking areas. Compelling in the same way that many prefer to watch lower league football or college sports over the big money leagues, the warts and all nature of competitive sport.

Anyway, the public reaction to Bassett's own goal was rather refreshing Otto. It's as if you can't remember back to the likes of Beckham or Phil Neville getting slain for their mistakes in World
    cups. Or waddle, Pearce and southgate. They weren't called heroes. Your comparison with Dunkirk sounds like lingering 70year old German bitterness. I think it's fairly normal behaviour to applaud rather than criticize an effort where overachievement is concerned - nobody expected England to get to the semis and take Japan all the way. The yanks were writing them off all competition for example, before gaining a new found respect. Fair play to them, did more than the men have in the last 20 years so it's natural to feel compelled to support not criticize them for their efforts.
    We don't overrate men's quality football, it's just so much better.  It's just reality that women's NT team are playing and losing friendly matches against HS men's team.

And there are two reasons why Bassett wasn't killed in media like Pearce, Southgate, Beckham, etc...:
    1) People don't give a shit about women football on emotional level comparing to men footy.
    2) She got "pussy pass", just like Hope Solo with her domestic violence issues.

And regarding bolded line, which you keep repeating:

Post by Guest Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:27 pm

Kimbo wrote:Was this written by you 0trick?

2015 Women's World Cup 2qi1j4o

lol! Losers. They couldn't even win a women's world cup.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:15 pm

stinger wrote:
    Isco Benny wrote:

We don't overrate men's quality football, it's just so much better.  It's just reality that women's NT team are playing and losing friendly matches against HS men's team.

And there are two reasons why Bassett wasn't killed in media like Pearce, Southgate, Beckham, etc...:
    1) People don't give a shit about women football on emotional level comparing to men footy.

I'll say it again - it's obvious the women's game is far below the men's quality wise. But quality is not the only reason why sport is compelling. Otherwise nobody would watch the College Sports in America for example, or the lower leagues in football anywhere else. If you think the women's game is terrible and not worth watching, no problem. You're not alone. Neither though are people who find it intriguing. Japan's semi final against England was watched by almost 10 million people in Japan. 35 million people in the US watched the final. That's a lot of people not giving a shit.

And come on, I never said women don't ever foul/cheat. But it's undeniably less evident than in the men's game - all it took was to watch both the Copa America and the WWC at the same time to spot the enormous difference in terms of sheer singular incidents.

It's not about being PC here. You can call it shit or whatever you want. I'm just of the opinion it is still of interest when I've watched it. Different paradigm, but still worthy of spectatorship if you like that kind of thing (lots of attacking, errors, endeavour).

Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:31 pm

I bet you vote for the Greens 0trick.
    stinger

Post by stinger Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:35 pm

People watch college sports in America because they aften feel connected to their Alma Mater, they want to watch future NBA/NFL stars, because season is shorter there and every game matters or just think it's more fun than NBA/NFL (surprisengly big group). And they are doing it when NBA/NFL season is also going on.

Totally different situation than women's World Cup. I have no problem with people watching it, but it reminds me when I was a kid and I was watching female figure skating and having fun when skaters were landing on their asses after unsuccessful jumps (was to young to enjoy their attractiveness I guess).

And I've mentioned PC regarding soft reaction to own goal by Bassett, which is the only explanation which makes sense. If it would be done by any English player in men's World Cup he would be destroyed in media and nobody would call him a hero. "Pussy pass" is not for everyone.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:45 pm

stinger wrote:
    Isco Benny wrote:

Dat video Laugh
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:57 pm

stinger wrote:People watch college sports in America because they aften feel connected to their Alma Mater, they want to watch future NBA/NFL stars, because season is shorter there and every game matters or just think it's more fun than NBA/NFL (surprisengly big group). And they are doing it when NBA/NFL season is also going on.

Totally different situation than women's World Cup. I have no problem with people watching it, but it reminds me when I was a kid and I was watching female figure skating and having fun when skaters were landing on their asses after unsuccessful jumps (was to young to enjoy their attractiveness I guess).

And I've mentioned PC regarding soft reaction to own goal by Bassett, which is the only explanation which makes sense. If it would be done by any English player in men's World Cup he would be destroyed in media and nobody would call him a hero. "Pussy pass" is not for everyone.

Disagree - it's not that she's a woman, it's that she isn't a professional sports man. There's a difference. Men's sportsmen - footballers in particular - are incredibly pampered and well paid. Mistakes are less tolerated as a result. If it were the blind team, the homeless team, an amateur men's team (all of these are real categories by the way), there would be more sympathy too, because we rightly offer more leniency as they aren't viewed as overly privileged professional sportsmen - merely people playing for the love of their sport / country.

Kimbo - no, I didn't voted Greens. But having played football with and against women here in the States on the odd occassion, I've become far more respectful of their position and challenges they face. The amount of belittling and criticism they take often from fat fucks who can barely stand up is incredible. Some of the girls here are better than any of the loud mouthed Sunday league bellends I played with back in England Ale

Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:02 pm

If I played against them I would fucking destroy them, no respect, no mercy.

stinger

Post by stinger Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:09 pm

Isco Benny wrote:
    stinger wrote:People watch college sports in America because they aften feel connected to their Alma Mater, they want to watch future NBA/NFL stars, because season is shorter there and every game matters or just think it's more fun than NBA/NFL (surprisengly big group). And they are doing it when NBA/NFL season is also going on.

Disagree - it's not that she's a woman, it's that she isn't a professional sports man. There's a difference. Men's sportsmen - footballers in particular - are incredibly pampered and well paid. Mistakes are less tolerated as a result. If it were the blind team, the homeless team, an amateur men's team (all of these are real categories by the way), there would be more sympathy too, because we rightly offer more leniency as they aren't viewed as overly privileged professional sportsmen - merely people playing for the love of their sport / country.

lol!

I would love to see Guardian's female football journos reaction after reading your paragraph. You sexists bastard Wink

Post by Guest Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:49 pm

2015 Women's World Cup Can-stock-photo_csp9316701

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 7:59 am