Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
Deluded F*ck™
110%
Stiftung Haeschentest
Axeslammer
christmasborocooper
Isar Truppe
Tweesus
chrissicross
Roger Hunt
Ricardo Jol
Parks lives
Effenberg
AsianBoy
Isco Benny
Lusitan
Mistletoe.
dont panic!
21 posters

english U21 players called 'monkeys' by german opponents

dont panic!
    dont panic!

Number of posts : 965
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

english U21 players called 'monkeys' by german opponents Empty english U21 players called 'monkeys' by german opponents

Post by dont panic! Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:52 am

dear oh dear, the FA has complained to UEFA about the actions of some german players yesterday....calling a few of the english players 'monkeys' during the game...
    Mistletoe.

Number of posts : 758
    Supports : Benfica.........likes Millwall e U.A.Povoense
    Registration date : 2006-09-08

english U21 players called 'monkeys' by german opponents Empty Re: english U21 players called 'monkeys' by german opponents

Post by Mistletoe. Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:51 am

Where will it all end?
    Lusitan
    Lusitan

Number of posts : 773
    Supports : Sporting Clube de Portugal; Corinthians
    Favourite Player : Yazalde, Liedson
    Registration date : 2006-08-17

english U21 players called 'monkeys' by german opponents Empty Re: english U21 players called 'monkeys' by german opponents

Post by Lusitan Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:29 am

What i don't understand is why it seems to only happen to english teams....
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:46 am

Find it hard to believe that the German players would say this considering they have black players of their own.

at the same time, why would Anton and Micah make it up?

Should be dealt with swiftly and be done with; I wouldnt consider Germany a country with a racist problem like some of the astern European countries for instance
    Mistletoe.

Post by Mistletoe. Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:56 am

Apparently, 2 English players were called "monkey" by 2 different German players. Is this racist abuse?
    When I was a child, and up to no-good, my mum used to call me a "little monkey". Do you think I could sue her for that?
    AsianBoy
    AsianBoy

Number of posts : 2950
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by AsianBoy Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:05 am

what a shame to german players if they really did this as what you described. to begin with my remarks, i would like to think man are evolved through monkeys according to Darwin's evolutionism. i dont believe god and christianism,in other words i am a pure atheist. i know most of european ppl believe the existence of the god. on being on the pitch there is one tool ,to overwhelm ur opponents,which is make best ur skill and chances to score as many goals as possible.they will do nothing but run around u not even touching the ball------you should know what you are doing now---that means you are making them fool and make fun of them.

Last edited by on Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
    AsianBoy
    AsianBoy

Number of posts : 2950

Post by AsianBoy Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:07 am

[quote="SLB e Millwall"]Apparently, 2 English players were called "monkey" by 2 different German players. Is this racist abuse?
    When I was a child, and up to no-good, my mum used to call me a "little monkey". Do you think I could sue her for that?[/quote]

whats ur point?
    Effenberg
    Effenberg

Number of posts : 3975
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Effenberg Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:08 am

"Monkey" ("Affe") is fairly common name-calling in German. (Without any racial connotation.)

It's really difficult to draw the line. What's okay, what needs to be punished? If I compare this to the Materazzi affair it seems quite harmless. If they did mean it to be racist, it's a different story. (But who can say?)

And there doesn't seem to be any proof at the moment. If you start punishing players without evidence you'd open the door to many more problems, obviously. (E.g. Let's get their star player suspended by accusing him.)

Tough call.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:15 am

Effenberg wrote:"Monkey" ("Affe") is fairly common name-calling in German. (Without any racial connotation.)

It's really difficult to draw the line. What's okay, what needs to be punished? If I compare this to the Materazzi affair it seems quite harmless. If they did mean it to be racist, it's a different story. (But who can say?)

And there doesn't seem to be any proof at the moment. If you start punishing players without evidence you'd open the door to many more problems, obviously. (E.g. Let's get their star player suspended by accusing him.)

Tough call.

I agree- different countries herald different interpretations of the same word. In England, monkey has an unfortunate link to deragatory racial slurs of the past. In Germany, it might be a word dished out to a person of any creed or colour as a form of insult.

Its tough really. The Germans proved to be many things last night (whinging divers - Kiessling, sly bastards - that lad who kneed Richards in the back as he walked past him to get the England man booked, and pretty skillfull too- Hilbert, but surely not racists! Laughing )
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Parks lives Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:19 am

I do hope people don't try and score points in this thread, just to have a go at the Ze Germans.
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:23 am

If the English players were the twin sons of Martin Keown would that have been a racist abuse...?????

No seriously...

No matter if it was meant to be racist or not. It felt as an insult and insults are not acceptable IMO! However, most of the times a bad trash-talk is hard to prove!

On Matterazzi. If Zidane had to be the guts NOT to respond on it during the game it would have been superb if he said something to the FIFA/press after the game. He didn't do that so he was wrong...

What I always hate in those debates is: you can trash-talk anybody with the worst diseases or whatever but when the word “monkey” is on the table people make a big mess of it and the whole world is angry!

If you want to get rid of insults during the game (hardly possible but I said IF…) you have to take action about ANY insult and not only when it is about blacks or Muslims...
    Mistletoe.

Post by Mistletoe. Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:23 am

[quote="Cking"]
    SLB e Millwall wrote:Apparently, 2 English players were called "monkey" by 2 different German players. Is this racist abuse?
    When I was a child, and up to no-good, my mum used to call me a "little monkey". Do you think I could sue her for that?[/quote]

whats ur point?

My point is that it's not the words that are used, but the feeling in those words. Proving a racial slur by intention, and not actual facts, is extremely difficult. And, I sure we all agree, that people are innocent until proven guilty.
    Lusitan
    Lusitan

Number of posts : 773
    Supports : Sporting Clube de Portugal; Corinthians
    Favourite Player : Yazalde, Liedson
    Registration date : 2006-08-17

Post by Lusitan Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:43 am

Effenberg wrote:"Monkey" ("Affe") is fairly common name-calling in German. (Without any racial connotation.)

Tough call.

Monkey is used often even in Portugal and usualy the meaning is the same as clown. But it's a fact that for a black person it has a totaly different meaning.

Many Portuguese had problems here in Congo just because they used that term to describe that thing you use to lift your car when changing a tyre(don't know how it's called in english). Same thing happens with a jump suit ( fato-macaco = monkey suit).
    In these cases you're not insulting anyone but you'll have a hard time explaining to any congolese near by why did you use the word "macaco".
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:51 am

Parks Lives wrote:I do hope people don't try and score points in this thread, just to have a go at the Ze Germans.

ok ok

Winning both games was enough point scoring in itself <Ale> Wink

Ps Was hoping to hear more of Otto and Blut's pearls of wisdom this morning, but it appears to have gone v. quiet since friday lol!
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:06 am

Hahaha.

I'd love to hear Otto's spin on the two games. Very Happy
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115

Post by Roger Hunt Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:57 am

Parks Lives wrote:I do hope people don't try and score points in this thread, just to have a go at the Ze Germans.

Not to mention Northern monkeys. Wink
    dont panic!
    dont panic!

Post by dont panic! Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:13 pm

Lusitan wrote:

Tough call.

Monkey is used often even in Portugal and usualy the meaning is the same as clown. But it's a fact that for a black person it has a totaly different meaning.

Many Portuguese had problems here in Congo just because they used that term to describe that thing you use to lift your car when changing a tyre(don't know how it's called in english). Same thing happens with a jump suit ( fato-macaco = monkey suit).
    In these cases you're not insulting anyone but you'll have a hard time explaining to any congolese near by why did you use the word "macaco".

exactly...if someone said 'monkey' to me as a white person i wouldnt be bothered...but someone calling a black person the same...if he didnt mean it racially...is just plain stupid...thats justs asking for trouble...

but whats funny...if it wasnt meant racially then this would actually mean the person who said this was actually VERY NON RACIST...as he didnt even think that the person he 'insulted' was black and would therefore maybe be insulted..

a tricky situation..and i hope if it wasnt meant racially that the offender isnt punished...

would an english guy get in trouble if he called a german player a 'kraut'?
    chrissicross
    chrissicross

Number of posts : 6246
    Supports : Werder Bremen
    Favourite Player : Per Mertesacker, Thomas Müller
    Registration date : 2006-08-10

Post by chrissicross Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:14 pm

Hmm, I've read the article on the skysport website:

The pair have alleged that they were called 'monkeys' by an, as yet, unnamed opponent, although television footage would appear to show that one incident may well involve Werder Bremen's Aaron Hunt.

I indeed remember this scene. The German commentator wondered what Ferdinand and Hunt told each other and mentioned that Hunt of course speaks perfect English.
    With regard to the word monkey ("Affe" in German) it's usual meaning in Germany is the same as clown. But then again if it has a different meaning in England I would assume Hunt knows this exactly.

However considering the majority of our U21 players have a foreign background, with Matip and Boateng alone two with an African, and the very good team spirit I would really be likewise suprised and disappointed.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:16 pm

Is Aaron Hunt English Chrissi? ie were his parents English?
    dont panic!
    dont panic!

Post by dont panic! Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:18 pm

chrissicross wrote:Hmm, I've read the article on the skysport website:

The pair have alleged that they were called 'monkeys' by an, as yet, unnamed opponent, although television footage would appear to show that one incident may well involve Werder Bremen's Aaron Hunt.

I indeed remember this scene. The German commentator wondered what Ferdinand and Hunt told each other and mentioned that Hunt of course speaks perfect English.
    With regard to the word monkey ("Affe" in German) it's usual meaning in Germany is the same as clown. But then again if it has a different meaning in England I would assume Hunt knows this exactly.

However considering the majority of our U21 players have a foreign background, with Matip and Boateng alone two with an African, and the very good team spirit I would really be likewise suprised and disappointed.

maybe he said 'island monkey'...the name germans give us as we call them 'krauts'?
    L r d

Post by L r d Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:20 pm

Roger_Hunt wrote:

Not to mention Northern monkeys. Wink

Damn it! Neutral

I was ready and waiting with my "They're probably just talking about Steven Taylor" comments.
    chrissicross
    chrissicross

Post by chrissicross Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:29 pm

dont panic! wrote:

maybe he said 'island monkey'...the name germans give us as we call them 'krauts'?
    Hmm, but then again Hunt's own mum and many of his family are "island monkeys" as well. Would be strange imo if he really said this.

Historically the German equivalent of "Krauts" is "Tommies" btw. Don't know why though...
    dont panic!
    dont panic!

Post by dont panic! Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:42 pm

chrissicross wrote:
    dont panic! wrote:

Hmm, but then again Hunt's own mum and many of his family are "island monkeys" as well. Would be strange imo if he really said this.

Historically the German equivalent of "Krauts" is "Tommies" btw. Don't know why though...

interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Atkins
    chrissicross
    chrissicross

Post by chrissicross Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:56 pm

dont panic! wrote:
    chrissicross wrote:
    dont panic! wrote:

interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Atkins
    Ah, so that's were it came from. I thought it might have something to do with the wars, very interesting.
    Isar Truppe
    Isar Truppe

Number of posts : 430

Post by Isar Truppe Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:14 pm

As dont panic pointed out, he said "Insel Affe" which means "island monkey". It is a term used much in the same way as Krauts. Not because he's black, but because he's English. Aaron Hunt is half English himself. Pulling the race card is boring now. God help us if Anton converts to Islam as well.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:19 pm

do the players speak German now?

or are they briefed before the game on which words are racist terms?
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:20 pm

Isar Truppe wrote:As dont panic pointed out, he said "Insel Affe" which means "island monkey". It is a term used much in the same way as Krauts. Not because he's black, but because he's English. Aaron Hunt is half English himself. Pulling the race card is boring now. God help us if Anton converts to Islam as well.

Dont think anyone, on here at least, is doubting that there is more to this than a case of simple racial abuse. Sure it'll fizzle out. More than likely a misunderstanding.

Im just glad to to hear that our youngsters are holding up the age honoured traditions of Anglo-germanic rivalry, where the trading of insults is mandatory. Bloody krauts Laughing <Ale>
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:26 pm

Lusitan wrote:What i don't understand is why it seems to only happen to english teams....

Yep, I don't take 'm seriously any more.

It's like a little boy crying "wolf"...
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:29 pm

just read elsewhere that four German clubs have been fined for racial abuse from their fans in the last few weeks..that true?(not a football website, just some German guy who posts on a website)
    Stiftung Haeschentest
    Stiftung Haeschentest

Number of posts : 2314
    Supports : Deutschland
    Registration date : 2006-08-30

Post by Stiftung Haeschentest Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:35 pm

borocooper wrote:just read elsewhere that four German clubs have been fined for racial abuse from their fans in the last few weeks..that true?(not a football website, just some German guy who posts on a website)

Yep, that's true. We had some incidents of racial abuse in the Bundesliga and the DFB-Cup lately and considering that the DFB is trying hard to ban all these 'fans' who are insulting black players from the stadiums it would be a shame when now players are doing the same stupid stuff on the pitch.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 11:53 pm