Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+23
Sgoater1
blutgraetsche
Glenarch of the Glen
What hype?
Arnaud
poiuy1
The-Frank-Tavern
youonlycametooseeeboue
Brian2468
COTR
Kimbo
E.M.
Tom
Clergyman Superstains
Parks lives
christmasborocooper
Bend It Like Idiakez
Roger Hunt
Isco Benny
Hardrada
Tweesus
dont panic!
Sheffield gunner
27 posters

England v. Greece Friendly Thread - 4-0 at the moment!

Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

England v. Greece Friendly Thread - 4-0 at the moment! Empty England v. Greece Friendly Thread - 4-0 at the moment!

Post by Sheffield gunner Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:46 pm

McClaren holding a press conference right now. Dean Ashton is injured and will not participate. McClaren is playing Gerrard on the right of midfield with Hargreaves and Lampard in the centre. Defoe and Crouch are starting up front, although Ashton would have started if he was fit.
    dont panic!
    dont panic!

Number of posts : 965
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

England v. Greece Friendly Thread - 4-0 at the moment! Empty Re: England v. Greece Friendly Thread - 4-0 at the moment!

Post by dont panic! Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:49 pm

shame for ashton..i was looking forward to seeing him...
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

England v. Greece Friendly Thread - 4-0 at the moment! Empty Re: England v. Greece Friendly Thread - 4-0 at the moment!

Post by Tweesus Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:50 pm

Grr

I hate him already!

Peter '11.4 conversion rate' Crouch and Jermaine 'I can't see anything but the goal' Defoe starting ahead of Bent!!!!

What planet do all footy managers live on! Mad
    Sheffield gunner

Post by Sheffield gunner Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:51 pm

Starting team is:

Robinson
    Neville
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    A. Cole
    Gerrard
    Hargreaves
    Lampard
    Downing
    Defoe
    Crouch
    L r d

Post by L r d Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:52 pm

11.4 for england? it's more like 1 in 2 for england.
    here we go downing plays, if he plays well the place will be his Rolling Eyes
    dont panic!
    dont panic!

Number of posts : 965
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by dont panic! Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:53 pm

Tweedledum wrote:Grr

I hate him already!

Peter '11.4 conversion rate' Crouch and Jermaine 'I can't see anything but the goal' Defoe starting ahead of Bent!!!!

isnt bent with the U21s?...and who came in for ashton...dafoe or crouch?
    Hardrada

Number of posts : 2106
    Supports : Chelsea FC
    Favourite Player : GFZ

Post by Hardrada Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:53 pm

Gerrard on the right ok

I would have gone for that team.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:54 pm

l r d wrote:11.4 for england? it's more like 1 in 2 for england.
    here we go downing plays, if he plays well the place will be his Rolling Eyes

Doh - in the EPL last season he had 88 shots on goal and he scored 8 goals - so a strike conversion rate of 11 - one of the worst in Europe Cool
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:55 pm

dont panic! wrote:
    Tweedledum wrote:Grr

I hate him already!

isnt bent with the U21s?...and who came in for ashton...dafoe or crouch?

In the main England squad as well
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:56 pm

I wouldn't have gone with that team.

I would have played Lennon on the right, Gerrard in the centre and Bent instead of Defoe
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:00 pm

Tweedledum wrote:I wouldn't have gone with that team.

I would have played Lennon on the right, Gerrard in the centre and Bent instead of Defoe

Me too. And dropped Lampard.

No doubt he'll tinker at halftime, expect Lennon will come on.

I want to see how England play with 2 speedy wingers in Lennon and Downing - will give england the penetration that Mclaren has been banging on about
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115

Post by Roger Hunt Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:18 pm

Hope Lennon and Downing do themselves justice.

I do worry though that Downing lacks that final bit of pace to succeed against the best opposition (sorry coop!)
    Bend It Like Idiakez

Number of posts : 34
    Supports : Derby
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by Bend It Like Idiakez Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:28 pm

The Real White Pele wrote:
    Tweedledum wrote:I wouldn't have gone with that team.

Me too. And dropped Lampard.

No doubt he'll tinker at halftime, expect Lennon will come on.

I want to see how England play with 2 speedy wingers in Lennon and Downing - will give england the penetration that Mclaren has been banging on about

Surely Defoe and Crouch are the worst two strikers to play in this situation though? Crouch is suited to the long-ball game and can't head the damn thing and Defoe tends to pick up the ball from deeper. If Bent was playing he could burst into the box to get onto the crosses flying in and Ashton is the best striker we have who has the physical presence to get his head on the ball
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:35 pm

Why are people moaning?

We already knew Bent wasnt starting, he's playing in the U21s and on the bench for the proper team.

People wanted Gerrard on the right a few weeks ago...now its wrong...

Downing was obviously going to start on the left, he's the best English left winger.

Crouch obviously had to start now as Ashton is injured.

Lennon can still be used as an impact sub.

The only thing worth questioning is Lampard still being in, but he might have a better game in this team.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:38 pm

Thats the thing. With that line up I can see Lampard given loads of freedom to get forward and he could get a goal.
    Clergyman Superstains
    Clergyman Superstains

Number of posts : 410
    Registration date : 2006-08-10

Post by Clergyman Superstains Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:41 pm

Its the exact midfield formation most people would have said when the squad was announced.

Personally I think Lampard shouldnt be in the first team, he got outplayed by Bolo in the Charity Shield and had a poor, poor, poor world cup.
    Tom
    Tom

Number of posts : 12185
    Supports : Chelsea

Post by Tom Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:46 pm

Biggrin YEY!! Lampard is in the team!
    Bend It Like Idiakez

Number of posts : 34
    Supports : Derby
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by Bend It Like Idiakez Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:47 pm

I'm a Derby and England fan, it's my job to moan!

Also i didn't realise Ashton was injured. Absolutely gutted for the guy, he was the person i was most looking forward to seeing in this friendly. Wonder if he will get another chance to prove himself considering after this friendly we get straight into competitive games?
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:50 pm

Bend It Like Idiakez wrote:I'm a Derby and England fan, it's my job to moan!

Also i didn't realise Ashton was injured. Absolutely gutted for the guy, he was the person i was most looking forward to seeing in this friendly. Wonder if he will get another chance to prove himself considering after this friendly we get straight into competitive games?

I would have thought so, he deserves another chance and there arent many other players who would get picked ahead of him.

I expect he'll be in most squads from now on to be honest. Assuming his league form is good.
    E.M.
    E.M.

Number of posts : 323
    Favourite Player : Young Athlete
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by E.M. Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:55 pm

i can see a draw 1-1 Gerrard scoring and as usual i can see Robinson getting beaten from 30 yards(i go for Karagounis) Cool .

Lampard aint been dropped yet? Shocked
    Clergyman Superstains
    Clergyman Superstains

Number of posts : 410
    Registration date : 2006-08-10

Post by Clergyman Superstains Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:56 pm

Replacing who? When Owen, Rooney come back in they will obviously be the starters. Do you think it will then be Crouch, Ashton and Defoe?

Dont forget Frannie Jeffers has said his new chance at Blackburn will get him in the England squad........
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:00 pm

E.M. wrote:

For who though?

Carrick is injured and Gerrard is being used on the right. As much as I'm not a fan of Lampard, he's still better than Jenas.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:00 pm

Clergyman Superstains wrote:Replacing who? When Owen, Rooney come back in they will obviously be the starters. Do you think it will then be Crouch, Ashton and Defoe?

Dont forget Frannie Jeffers has said his new chance at Blackburn will get him in the England squad........

Owen shouldnt be back in for a long while yet...

so I would have thought the strikers will just be

Defoe
    Bent

Ashton
    Crouch

for quite a while.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:04 pm

Sir Parks Lives wrote:
    E.M. wrote:

For who though?

Carrick is injured and Gerrard is being used on the right. As much as I'm not a fan of Lampard, he's still better than Jenas.

PARKER GODDAMNIT!!! Grr Grr Grr
    Sheffield gunner

Post by Sheffield gunner Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:05 pm

Ashton has broke his ankle. What terrible bad luck for him
    L r d

Post by L r d Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:07 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    Sir Parks Lives wrote:
    E.M. wrote:

For who though?

Laugh Lampard may play much better with a dm and him as the only am.
    Parker isnt good enough for england
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:07 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:Ashton has broke his ankle. What terrible bad luck for him

Shocked Are you sure it's broken???
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:07 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    Sheffield gunner wrote:Ashton has broke his ankle. What terrible bad luck for him

Its just come on breaking news.

Gutted for him.
    Sheffield gunner

Post by Sheffield gunner Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:08 pm

Kimbo wrote:

Breaking news on Sky Sports News at the moment I'm afraid
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:08 pm

l r d wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:
    Sir Parks Lives wrote:
    E.M. wrote:

For who though?

Laugh Lampard may play much better with a dm and him as the only am.
    Parker isnt good enough for england

He should atleast be in the squad ahead of Jenas and Phillis Neville. ok

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:58 pm